What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (6 Viewers)

I don’t like the decision. It wasn’t egregious but whatever
I don’t think you can take the belt from a guy in a fight that close on a penalty. Im not sure how it wasn’t 47-47 on all 3 cards, but I’m alright with the outcome. I feel like Moreno getting hurt in the 5th definitelY cost him the fight though.

https://youtu.be/7-e6hGJes1M

I really like Olivera.  I'm falling in love with him for the same reasons I loved Tony Ferguson.  High level bjj, striking, pressure, unpredictability, the list goes on...  Most importantly, I think this is the prototype MMA fighter.  We never got to see the top level bjj at 155 vs the top level wrestling (khabib) that we wanted to see.  We were teased with Tony/Khabib for years, but now Tony has clearly fallen off.  As disappointing as this is, amazingly he has just been substituted by his younger clone.  I say if Olivera wins one more against Gathje, or the winner of Porier/Mcgregor, then Khabib has no choice but to return to face him.

I'm not sure if I was as impressed with Khabibs jiujitsu, or if it's a major hole in Gathjes game.  If Gathje doesn't improve his ground game Olivera will tap him easily.  Olivera taps Dustin & Mcgregor as well imo.  Conner could be the toughest for him because he will be harder to close the distance against and will test Olivera's jaw.

I don’t think you can take the belt from a guy in a fight that close on a penalty. Im not sure how it wasn’t 47-47 on all 3 cards, but I’m alright with the outcome. I feel like Moreno getting hurt in the 5th definitelY cost him the fight though.
One of the judges gave Moreno the 5th round.  That's crazy talk....and it cost Deiveson a majority decision.

I thought it was ridiculous to take the point in the 3rd even though it was a rough groin shot.  

Moreno was awesome, but I only gave him the 4th round with the 2nd round being really close.  So at best, he won 2 rounds imo.  If he was handed the belt because of a single groin shot and a blind judge in the 5th, that would have been unfortunate to me.  

Pretty crazy with the run El Cucuy had that he never got to fight for the undisputed title. Probably not gonna happen either at his age and that division.  Oliveira dominated him like we've not seen.

12-0 in that division over span of about 6 years. Never got him and Khabib (who IMO at that time were head and shoulders above rest).

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
Pretty crazy with the run El Cucuy had that he never got to fight for the undisputed title. Probably not gonna happen either at his age and that division.  Oliveira dominated him like we've not seen.

12-0 in that division over span of about 6 years. Never got him and Khabib (who IMO at that time were head and shoulders above rest).
Sad for Tony.  I think it's just the culmination of too much damage over time.  When those guys hit the wall, the drop is pretty fast.  He'll likely become a gatekeeper to the top of the division.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
I say if Olivera wins one more against Gathje, or the winner of Porier/Mcgregor, then Khabib has no choice but to return to face him.
Khabib is a different cat with such strong family ties I think he may stay retired.  His mom didn't want him to fight and he will honor his word to her.  Just my :2cents:

Sad for Tony.  I think it's just the culmination of too much damage over time.  When those guys hit the wall, the drop is pretty fast.  He'll likely become a gatekeeper to the top of the division.
Ali may have been right when he said Tony Ferguson would never be the same out of the Justin Gathje fight.  The link to the in depth breakdown I posted showed that Tony wasn't pushing forward like he had done prior to the Gathje fight.  He was reacting to soon, and backing up, where times in the past he was moving forward.  They actually compared it to a point int he Gathje fight where he was getting battered.

He was never the fastest, strongest, best stand up, etc.  He was kind of like a Diaz where he overwhelmed, and was a very well rounded fighter.  If he starts fighting more passive & losing that push forward killer style he showed vs Cerone, then he is going to likely down trend.  I wouldn't mind seeing him as a busy gate keeper like Cerone has been.  Tony seems like a guy that wants to stay busy.  Who knows maybe he fights a lower top 10 guy in spring, or the loser of Conner / Porier.  He is still a huge name.

Congratulations Max, you are the best boxer in the UFC, but can he ever finish an opponent?  Props to Kattar for taking so many jabs, but there must be 0 power behind a Max Holloway punch.  It looked like he had him finished at times, but couldn't get it done.  He tried a double leg against the fence that was stuffed, then he must have just decided to show boat instead of trying to get the finish.  I assume if he went for a takedown he must not have had confidence in his punching power.  Who punches harder Max Holloway or Colby Covington?  Sarcasm aside, he won the fight in a dominant fashion, I'm just being critical of him for not finishing fights particularly when you are show boating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread