Prime Rib Christmas Supper

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y2whD   beautifully smoked 

Some great work in here gents (though Wilked please tell Edward Scissorhands to stay away from the carving station next year).  Actually think a lot of different methods can work but people are gettin

Almost 7 lb ribeye, smoked for 3 hours at 250

Anyone had luck with this?

I want to try as it would be perfect to start before church and let sit during... ready when we get home.

Done it, It works. However, as the article states, the meat has to be room temperature. And not I let it sit out an hour before roasting room temperature.

Edited by James Daulton

I want to try as it would be perfect to start before church and let sit during... ready when we get home.

Done it, It works. However, as the article states, the meat has to be room temperature. And not I let it sit out an hour before roasting room temperature.

Cool... thanks. I'll take it out first thing in the morning. Should get 6 hours or so on the counter.

Cool... thanks. I'll take it out first thing in the morning. Should get 6 hours or so on the counter.

I'll be doing this myself on Christmas. I also like their seasoning recommendation, you following that as well?

I'll be doing this myself on Christmas. I also like their seasoning recommendation, you following that as well?

Yeah... think I'll try it!

Chef John has a method of doing this with a video. I think it helps with what several of you are suggesting. I think he goes too far with room temperature but if you need to you can. I find the video makes it a lot easier to understand cooking it in the oven at 500 and then letting it sit in there for 2 hours.

http://allrecipes.com/video/479/perfect-prime-rib/

math jokes encouraged

Chef John has a method of doing this with a video. I think it helps with what several of you are suggesting. I think he goes too far with room temperature but if you need to you can. I find the video makes it a lot easier to understand cooking it in the oven at 500 and then letting it sit in there for 2 hours.

math jokes encouraged

It's such a complicated process, I am so glad someone took the time to make a video of it.

Im only going to have ~ 3lb semi boneless --- think that will be OK? Ever do it with that small of a cut?

math jokes encouraged

It's such a complicated process, I am so glad someone took the time to make a video of it.

I don't think it's complicated but a lot of folks can't make this dish right out of the shoot. It's good that you and a few others are master chefs. I think I know my way around a kitchen but I usually need a recipe at least a the first couple times until I am comfortable and can tweak it.

Teaching people to cook for themselves is one of the best things you can do for folks.

math jokes encouraged

I don't think it's complicated but a lot of folks can't make this dish right out of the shoot. It's good that you and a few others are master chefs. I think I know my way around a kitchen but I usually need a recipe at least a the first couple times until I am comfortable and can tweak it.

Teaching people to cook for themselves is one of the best things you can do for folks.

:wall::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

• Like 1

math jokes encouraged

:wall::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I thought you were making fun of the video which would have been OK too.

Sorry, my bad. :D

So after reading this, is there a FBG consensus on the right cooking method? I have a 7 lb prime rib I'll be preparing for tomorrow evening, and would like to serve at 6:00.

For best outside bark is the preferred method to blast at 500 first and then go as low as you can go until it hits 130 or go low early and then blast it for 8 minutes right before service?

Did this last year and thinking of doing it again. Went a little too rare last time, but still delicious.

No such thing as too rare!! ;)

Haha, normally agree, but there was literally blood coming out. Don't get me wrong, still ate it and it was delicious :thumbup:

• Like 1

1:35 until its done. I'm trying the turn off the oven and leave it in for 2 hrs method. :nervous:

keep us updated. I want to try it tomorrow as well
Amazeballs. Mine was only a 2.84 pounder. Put it I'm for 16 mins then shut it off. Followed the spice recipe, butter, herbs de provence, pepper, a lot of salt. Soooo good.

Here is the dinner plate http://postimg.org/image/xmdh3mxdz/

And yes that is roasted garlic to spread on the bread.

Edited by xulf
  • Like 2

1:35 until its done. I'm trying the turn off the oven and leave it in for 2 hrs method. :nervous:

Amazeballs. Mine was only a 2.84 pounder. Put it I'm for 16 mins then shut it off. Followed the spice recipe, butter, herbs de provence, pepper, a lot of salt. Soooo good.

That looks awesome blossom.

wtf? I thought I had every spice known to man so I could just make the herbs de provence, turns out I don't have savory (nor have I ever used it). Just exclude it and use the marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano?

I just bought the whole mix for $5. I never knew it existed. I can't imagine missing one spice will matter. Salt comes threw the most with an earthy undertone. You should be good.

wtf? I thought I had every spice known to man so I could just make the herbs de provence, turns out I don't have savory (nor have I ever used it). Just exclude it and use the marjoram, rosemary, thyme, and oregano?

I just bought the whole mix for $5. I never knew it existed. I can't imagine missing one spice will matter. Salt comes threw the most with an earthy undertone. You should be good.

I have to trust my sister to make this since I'm cooking a 28lb turkey (don't ask) in my oven.

How long did you leave the prime rib at room temp? The fully 6 hours? And did you use a meat thermometer to check the temp before serving?

I have to trust my sister to make this since I'm cooking a 28lb turkey (don't ask) in my oven.

How long did you leave the prime rib at room temp? The fully 6 hours? And did you use a meat thermometer to check the temp before serving?

I only had it out for 1:45...but it was a small cut of meat. It did feel slightly cooler than I had hoped, so longer is probably better, especially for anything bigger. I didn't use a thermometer but wasnt worried because the meat was still warm/hot when I pulled it out. Since it sits for two hours, I don't think a thermometer would be accurate when you remove it. You would need an electronic one that reads outside the oven.

I only had it out for 1:45...but it was a small cut of meat. It did feel slightly cooler than I had hoped, so longer is probably better, especially for anything bigger. I didn't use a thermometer but wasnt worried because the meat was still warm/hot when I pulled it out. Since it sits for two hours, I don't think a thermometer would be accurate when you remove it. You would need an electronic one that reads outside the oven.

I more meant did you check the temp when it was finished? Or did you just go with it?

I more meant did you check the temp when it was finished? Or did you just go with it?

Just went with it.

Just went with it.

Well it obviously worked. Good job, everything looked fantastic.

Mine was cooking forever so I figured the thermometer was broken. Pulled it after it was stuck at 108 forever and.........it was 108.

So I put slices in the cast iron for 45 seconds for the weenies and just slathered mine with jus.

math jokes encouraged

My wife did this and I just came here to post it! Weird.

It came out great! Really easy to do and super tender meat. We all loved it.

• Like 1

math jokes encouraged

My wife did this and I just came here to post it! Weird.

It came out great! Really easy to do and super tender meat. We all loved it.

But did she make a video?!?!@!@?12

A little more done than Mr krista intended it, but was widely (well, among the four of us who ate these) lauded as possibly the best steak any of us had ever had. He'll have to come in here and tell how he cooked it, but I know he got some tips in this thread.

Costco prime. Five bones, so we have some left over. OK, a lot left over.

A little more done than Mr krista intended it, but was widely (well, among the four of us who ate these) lauded as possibly the best steak any of us had ever had. He'll have to come in here and tell how he cooked it, but I know he got some tips in this thread.

yum...hungyr now. again.

yum...hungyr now. again.

Neat board

• Like 2

mmm, that meat looks perfect.

Method worked perfectly!

5.5 lb roast. Room temp for 8 hours. Slathered with butter and spices. Put in pre-heated 500 degree oven for 30 minutes. Turned oven off (actually, it turned off automatically on a timer while we were at church). Sat in oven for 2 more hours.

PERFECT!!

The only thing that didn't turn out as I'd hoped, was the au jus... it had a lot of burnt flecks/chunks in it. I ran it through some cheese cloth and it cleaned it up, but still had a little "burnt" tinge to it. Otherwise it was the best prime rib I've ever made!

• Like 1

Mine turned out great as well. An 8 pound roast at 500 for 43 minutes. My giant 28lb turkey I dry brined for 2 days turned out great as well. Took it out of the fridge, slathered some butter on it, roasted at 500 for 30 minutes, then 350 for around 4 hours and it was done. Meat tender and juicy all the way through.

Made the above plus stuffing, green beans casserole-type dish, and mashed potatoes for 20. I was officially exhausted by the end of the day.

• Like 1