What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

For my taste, that's too rare.  I bet it was difficult to cut, that's a sign to me the meat isn't finished enough.

But hell people eat stead tartar so whatever floats your boat.
It wasn't too bad. I tend to prefer steak on the rare side, but Prime Rib I usually go for more towards medium rare. This was a bit underdone; but underdone is easier to fix than over cooked!!!

I just tried this recipe today.It turned out great.Took it out at 130 degrees.It was so tender and juicy.Was skeptical about the flour rub and the cooking temp at 425 for the whole time,but it turned out excellent.The flour rub sealed in the juices almost no juice in pan after fully cooked it was all in the meat.Highly recommend this recipe it made it seem like I knew what I was doing.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/139890/restaurant-style-prime-rib-roast/

My annual Christmas plate.  Prime rib on the smoker, Savannah chopped house creamed corn, garlic mashed, green beans, rosemary rolls wreath.  Making it again in a few weeks.  It is so temperature dependent, don't know how you guys do it without a thermometer.  I use probes and a digital remote for mine.  Don't open the smoker.

I can't even describe how good this is.  Get the Costco prime, seasoned, bone-in.

http://imgur.com/a/cpGHS

Came out very nice, although I sort of blew the recipe rules of not opening the oven door, by doing that to put my potatoes in the oven. This was a planning problem on my part, next time I do this method, I will not plan on roasted potatoes!

The crust was nice and crispy, the only issue was being too rare. Not exactly the worst problem. The potatoes were not done either, so I put the potatoes and the roast back in the oven for a little bit, potatoes came out fine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8148164@N02/25183999045/in/datetaken-public/https://www.flickr.com/photos/8148164@N02/24553311884/in/datetaken-public/

As I said, the meat was a bit under done, although this was close to the center of the roast, better towards the ends. I will conform to the rules 100% next time, I will do something like a mashed potato. 
Looks perfect to me.  If you threw that piece in the microwave for 30 seconds it would darken it for you.  

My annual Christmas plate.  Prime rib on the smoker, Savannah chopped house creamed corn, garlic mashed, green beans, rosemary rolls wreath.  Making it again in a few weeks.  It is so temperature dependent, don't know how you guys do it without a thermometer.  I use probes and a digital remote for mine.  Don't open the smoker.

I can't even describe how good this is.  Get the Costco prime, seasoned, bone-in.

Smoking such a good piece of meat makes me really nervous.  How do you do it?

Came out very nice, although I sort of blew the recipe rules of not opening the oven door, by doing that to put my potatoes in the oven. This was a planning problem on my part, next time I do this method, I will not plan on roasted potatoes!

The crust was nice and crispy, the only issue was being too rare. Not exactly the worst problem. The potatoes were not done either, so I put the potatoes and the roast back in the oven for a little bit, potatoes came out fine.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8148164@N02/25183999045/in/datetaken-public/https://www.flickr.com/photos/8148164@N02/24553311884/in/datetaken-public/

As I said, the meat was a bit under done, although this was close to the center of the roast, better towards the ends. I will conform to the rules 100% next time, I will do something like a mashed potato. 
Looks perfect to me.  If you threw that piece in the microwave for 30 seconds it would darken it for you.  
Gracias! Most in my family prefer underdone beef, so it wasn't a problem.

Going to do another this Christmas. Agree with Judge Smails that the Costco meat is wonderful.

Does anyone use a thermometer that is connected to your phone? Thinking about getting a new remote-read thermometer and might as well go with a Bluetooth one.

Yep, doing the rib this year instead of the ham or bird. I don't smoke this cut, but, low and slow in the Weber. Garlic and rosemary .....drool. 

Going to do another this Christmas. Agree with Judge Smails that the Costco meat is wonderful.

Does anyone use a thermometer that is connected to your phone? Thinking about getting a new remote-read thermometer and might as well go with a Bluetooth one.
Just lower the cooking temp a bit if you want it more even. 

Just lower the cooking temp a bit if you want it more even. 
I am doing it out on the grill this year (so I can use the one oven for other things). Anyone have thoughts?

Anyone heard of or use the 'reverse sear' method?

Used the "perfect" method last year and it was absolutely fantastic, so I see no reason to try deviate from it. 
This looks awesome.  But I have a few in the family that would not like it rare. The math probably wouldn't have to change but maybe leaving it in the oven to rest for longer than 2 hours would cook it a little more?  Medium rare-medium would be how most in my family would want it.  

Find a new family
My son and I would want rare-MR.  The rest... too much pink and they think the butcher didn't drain all the blood.   :loco:

I think I'll do this rib for two, then grill some sirloin steaks for the rest of the freaks.  

If I am cooking this for Chirstmas day (Sunday), am I OK buying the meat this weekend? It won't be vacuum sealed, just in the normal packaging (buying from Costco).

My son and I would want rare-MR.  The rest... too much pink and they think the butcher didn't drain all the blood.   :loco:

I think I'll do this rib for two, then grill some sirloin steaks for the rest of the freaks.  
I dont even know what to say about this

A co-worker of mine said he used this same method and swears by it too.   I have never cooked a prime rib in my life but think I am going to try one over the holidays to see how it turns out.
The first prime rib I made was last Christmas using this method --- it came out perfect  :wub:

I smoke it at 220 for 3 hours. Last year the middle was too rare so I may have to go a little longer or turn the heat up a touch more. 

Question for you guys who have purchased your prime ribs from Costco:

What USDA grade do you typically purchase?  Realizing Prime is the best, is it worth the extra $6.00 / lb?  Or is going with a Choice sufficient for a quick family dinner?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up a beautiful 9 lb tonight.  We invited a few widows in our neighborhood over for Sunday dinner.  Should be plenty of leftovers. 

DaBeers said:
Question for you guys who have purchased your prime ribs from Costco:

What USDA grade do you typically purchase?  Realizing Prime is the best, is it worth the extra $6.00 / lb?  Or is going with a Choice sufficient for a quick family dinner?

TIA
I go Prime for big events/holidays.  Tonight I wanted some filet mignons for me and Mrs. Smails and just went Choice.

I bought the iGrill2 on amazon for $59 the other day, saw them listed for $99 and now it is $109 on Amazon.  Must have got lucky.

This looks awesome.  But I have a few in the family that would not like it rare. The math probably wouldn't have to change but maybe leaving it in the oven to rest for longer than 2 hours would cook it a little more?  Medium rare-medium would be how most in my family would want it.  
Just follow the directions, when you cut a piece for the clueless members of your family that like it more cooked, dip their piece in the pan of hot au jus you have on the stove for 30 seconds or so, or just pop it in the oven (heated to 350) on a cookie sheet until desired doneness. Win-win.

*Thats how we did medium to well done prime rib when I worked in a restaurant. We'd cook the rib roast rare to med rare, and when someone ordered it more done, we'd finish it to desired temp after its cut (dip in the jus for medium, and in the oven for wed well to well).

Last edited by a moderator:

What's the creamed corn recipe plz

So if you do the perfect method, would sitting another hour or two outside the oven be a problem?  We would need to use it to cook other stuff.

So if you do the perfect method, would sitting another hour or two outside the oven be a problem?  We would need to use it to cook other stuff.
I did not let our sit (we have a large toaster over that we used for sides) but I can't see an issue with letting it sit  out as long as its wrapped up. 

Users who are viewing this thread