Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Prime Rib Christmas Supper

19 hours ago, proninja said:

If I had said a word about how I was cooking a rib roast in here or if I had been the one being critical of the way someone else is cooking a rib roast in here I would see your point. But I haven't either been the person talking about what I'm doing or the person being critical about someone else, that's been the Judge, whose work I generally admire here. I disagreed about him about SV cooking and he pulled the "that sucks, you should use a thermometer" move. But thanks for your input. 

Also, not everything I do is professional grade, and I'm just an enthusiastic home cook. There are plenty of people on the board who I've learned from and who are better than I am. So if you got that I think I'm the best out of that post in which I didn't talk about my own ability at all, I'm sorry.

No disrespect intended. And I was straight up about my ignorance of the method.  Maybe "boil in a bag" might be too elementary of a description for "vacuum sealed in a water bath" or steam, but whatever.  You have a Traeger.  Brothers.  All good.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://imgur.com/gallery/Y2whD   beautifully smoked 

Some great work in here gents (though Wilked please tell Edward Scissorhands to stay away from the carving station next year).  Actually think a lot of different methods can work but people are gettin

Almost 7 lb ribeye, smoked for 3 hours at 250

6 hours ago, Judge Smails said:

No disrespect intended. And I was straight up about my ignorance of the method.  Maybe "boil in a bag" might be too elementary of a description for "vacuum sealed in a water bath" or steam, but whatever.  You have a Traeger.  Brothers.  All good.

It wasn't you my friend.  Your post was fine.  Some posters just love to show how much smarter they are than the rest of us when any opportunity arises. 

Meanwhile your contributions with the chili and creamed corn recipes are legendary. :thumbup:

I've always smoked the rib roast on my WSM, but this year I'm going to combine smoking and sous vide. I plan on smoking for an hour or two, then into the bath, then seared in the broiler. Nothing cooks more evenly and accurately than sous vide, but you lose that smoker flavor. I'm trying to hit both.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Just got my Costco prime rib.  Now other daughter says she isn't eating red meat.  So doing a prime rib and a turkey.  For 5 people, really 4 since the other daughter is vegan.  Looks like it will be a great week for leftovers.

Seems like prime rib and tofurkey should handle the crowd :coffee:

On 12/22/2016 at 10:13 AM, Galileo said:

Alright, I just purchased a monster rib roast, 7 bone - 22+ pounds, for Christmas dinner.  I was thinking of trying the high heat/shut the oven off technique.  I have done that for smaller/other cuts of roasts with some success in the past.  But no way I am putting this beast into a 500 degree oven for 110 minutes as the math would suggest.  How should I adjust for such a large roast?  Should I cut it into smaller sections?  Just cut the time in half?  I don't know why I came up with half, but it seems to sear that thing for for any longer than 45-50 min would be torturous, even if it is big.  Maybe I should abandon this technique and just go low and slow for several hours...

Advice from the experts?

overall weight of the roast should not matter in terms of cooking time. ignore recipes that say cook for X minutes per pound. what really matters is the internal temp at the deepest part of the roast.  read this for more http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_temperature_guide.html

if i had a cut of beef like this i would probably put a temp probe in and cook it very low and slow (200 or lower) until it was like 100 degrees in the deepest part of the meat. then i would crank the heat up to 500+ to give it a crust and pull it out when internal temp was like 115 to 125 depending on how you like your meat. then rest for 20 to 30 min. 

• Like 1

19lb bone in here. Will get to room temp prior to cook. I'm thinking 500 for 30 min then reducing to something much lower and cooking to 120, will have Maverick probe in the whole time. But how low should I go on the oven temp when I reduce it? 250 sound right? If so any idea on total cook time? Will rest it for 30 min, dinner at 7...need to figure out when to get started.

My wife is just making Antipasto and....wait for it....Spinach lasagna. 

I felt like the ugly aunt in Greek Wedding when she broke the news to me.

"YOU DON'T EAT DA MEAT?"

I will be coming home with some sort of roast tomorrow.  I'll get some buffalo wings or a steak and cheese for Christmas day if she won't cook it.  What a grinchy Christmas already.  Please MAGA!!!

26 minutes ago, Nigel said:

19lb bone in here. Will get to room temp prior to cook. I'm thinking 500 for 30 min then reducing to something much lower and cooking to 120, will have Maverick probe in the whole time. But how low should I go on the oven temp when I reduce it? 250 sound right? If so any idea on total cook time? Will rest it for 30 min, dinner at 7...need to figure out when to get started.

I will probably go the same route with my 22 pounder...high heat then reduce.  I am going to guess about 2 hours at the lower temp, but it is just a guess. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I have seen 10-15 per pound, but I don't think that type of rule holds up as well with these large roasts.  They are much longer, but not really thicker.  

These are also more oily, so you don't have the dryout risk of some of the leaner ones imo.  Good luck!

Have a 9.18 pound bone in, going to use the perfect method in the video above. A little worried as some of the comments on the video say that the herb butter burns and makes the pan drippings unusable, and the house filled with smoke. Anyone that has used this method have this experience?

2 hours ago, Random said:

13 pounder is getting ready to go on!  Starting at 500, reducing to 225.  Taking off at 125 internal.  Guessing 3 hours?  Eating at noon.

Please report back on how it goes/ how long it took, it will help with my planning.

2 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

Have a 9.18 pound bone in, going to use the perfect method in the video above. A little worried as some of the comments on the video say that the herb butter burns and makes the pan drippings unusable, and the house filled with smoke. Anyone that has used this method have this experience?

Did not have that issue at all last year. I am doing this again for Christmas day and have no fear of not being able to use the drippings (they work well in mashed potatoes) 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Please report back on how it goes/ how long it took, it will help with my planning.

It took me a while to get the temp down.  Started at 500, took about 30 minutes to go down each 100.  2h 57m later its done (140 at the ends, 125 in the center).  I took it off and will put it back on in about 30 minutes to warm it back up a little I guess.

The perfect method was a bust for my main cut of meat.  It was still almost raw inside.  Luckily I had a secondary NY strip roast in at the same time that was smaller and that cooked nicely.  Perhaps my oven isn't as insulated or whatever as it should be.  In the future I'll run a meat thermometer no matter which method I use.  The rest of the meal was on point except for the grave.  Was watching the today show earlier in the week and the chick cooking said to throw a splash of sherry vinegar into the gravy to cut the fat a bit.  The damn vinegar was so overpowering I had difficulty masking it.  

The star of the meal was @Judge Smails creamed corn. 

• Like 1

The perfect method was a bust for my main cut of meat.  It was still almost raw inside.  Luckily I had a secondary NY strip roast in at the same time that was smaller and that cooked nicely.  Perhaps my oven isn't as insulated or whatever as it should be.  In the future I'll run a meat thermometer no matter which method I use.  The rest of the meal was on point except for the grave.  Was watching the today show earlier in the week and the chick cooking said to throw a splash of sherry vinegar into the gravy to cut the fat a bit.  The damn vinegar was so overpowering I had difficulty masking it.  

11 minutes ago, James Daulton said:

I'm definitely using two digital probe thermometers to keep track of temperature in the oven and of the rib roast itself and will adjust on the fly as needed.

1 hour ago, Random said:

It took me a while to get the temp down.  Started at 500, took about 30 minutes to go down each 100.  2h 57m later its done (140 at the ends, 125 in the center).  I took it off and will put it back on in about 30 minutes to warm it back up a little I guess.

Thanks. Picked up a 12.5 pound roast from wegmans in Burlington, will be cooking it similarly tomorrow 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

The main purpose of the butter is to get the herbs and seasonings to stick. I'd skip it and rub some worcestershire,  tobasco, and mayve a little olive oil on it, then apply the herbs and seasonings, which will adhere due to the wet rub, and you won't have a bunch of melted or burnt butter in the pan.

• Like 1

I usually do this with large parties, hence a 7 ribber is the call. Any words of wisdom for a small 3 pound 2 ribber?  Does the 15 minutes on broil then down to 250 still work?  How much hotter should I let it get given that the temp won't rise as much?

6 hours ago, Coeur de Lion said:

I'm definitely using two digital probe thermometers to keep track of temperature in the oven and of the rib roast itself and will adjust on the fly as needed.

I was too late with my alternative to butter post I see...lol...I hope yours turned out good...I'm doing the perfect method tomorrow with a 5.5 pounder.

6 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

I was too late with my alternative to butter post I see...lol...I hope yours turned out good...I'm doing the perfect method tomorrow with a 5.5 pounder.

Carving it in about 5 minutes (wife making jus as we speak). Looks gorgeous, nothing burned, a perfect 135 in the center.

Edited by Coeur de Lion
  • Like 1

We have a 4 rib and a 3 rib in the oven (both about 10 lbs.). Using reverse sear method at 225. I wanted to cook at 200 or less, but we bought too early, had to freeze and didn't expect it to take over 2 days to thaw. Lesson learned for next time! 

Can't wait to try the one seasoned with smoked paprika especially. Photos shortly

Roasts in the oven

Edited by Dragons

Just put it in the oven. I'm not going to do anything fancy like a reverse sear or anything, but 500 degrees and the fifteen minutes a pound at 325 should suffice. Not gourmet like you guys, but I hope to enjoy this soon. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everybody! 

• Like 2