What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (2 Viewers)

What kind of wood do you smokers use?  How do you get a crispy finish?  
I know this is from a year ago, but wanted to share my thoughts.  I like pecan wood for smoking beef (prefer apple for pork).

For a crispy crust:  I like to smoke the roast at 225-230 (not a lot of smoke, in this case less is more, imo) to your preferred internal temp (I like around 125).  I have a weber kettle grill I put next to my smoker and get the coals nice and hot.  Once at desired internal temp, I put the roast directly on the hot grill and sear the surface all around, just to get that nice seared steak texture on the crust.  

Turns out great.  The low temps during smoking allows the roast to cook evenly (essentially like reverse searing a steak).  Then the flash sear.  What you'll have is a nice, tasty, seared crust and an evenly cooked rare/med rare/medium (whatever you prefer) hunk of delicious meat.  Cooking at high temps can create layers of color from the surface to the center of the roast.  Not desirable IMO.  By the time you get the temp you want at the center, the first inch in from the surface is over done in many cases.  

I know this is from a year ago, but wanted to share my thoughts.  I like pecan wood for smoking beef (prefer apple for pork).

For a crispy crust:  I like to smoke the roast at 225-230 (not a lot of smoke, in this case less is more, imo) to your preferred internal temp (I like around 125).  I have a weber kettle grill I put next to my smoker and get the coals nice and hot.  Once at desired internal temp, I put the roast directly on the hot grill and sear the surface all around, just to get that nice seared steak texture on the crust.  

Turns out great.  The low temps during smoking allows the roast to cook evenly (essentially like reverse searing a steak).  Then the flash sear.  What you'll have is a nice, tasty, seared crust and an evenly cooked rare/med rare/medium (whatever you prefer) hunk of delicious meat.  Cooking at high temps can create layers of color from the surface to the center of the roast.  Not desirable IMO.  By the time you get the temp you want at the center, the first inch in from the surface is over done in many cases.  
This! So much this!

I have an alternative to the prime rib this year. Bacon encrusted beef tenderloin. Not bacon wrapped. I cooked the bacon and then crumbled it and rolled the beef tenderloin it it. It was AMAZING! I just started the write up last night. I'll have it done tonight time willing. 

This! So much this!

I have an alternative to the prime rib this year. Bacon encrusted beef tenderloin. Not bacon wrapped. I cooked the bacon and then crumbled it and rolled the beef tenderloin it it. It was AMAZING! I just started the write up last night. I'll have it done tonight time willing. 
Can't wait for that write-up.  I still want to get after the pork belly burnt ends.  Might be new year's day.  That one looks amazing, and oh how I like the  :porked:

Can't wait for that write-up.  I still want to get after the pork belly burnt ends.  Might be new year's day.  That one looks amazing, and oh how I like the  :porked:
The pork belly burnt ends are so friggin amazing. I will make up four times what I think I need because I know people will eat double what I expect and freeze a couple pans and thaw them out on the grill at some future date for a quick home run appetizer. For those that have not checked out the Grilling/BBQ thread, here is the recipe for Pork Belly Burnt Ends

I think this is correct method to prevent the grey-ring-of-death, but I would say the size and shape of a roast compared to a brisket, for example, doesn't lend to a smoke flavor getting more than 1/4 to 3/8 in into the meat.  

tbf, i don't think it is possible to over smoke a roast of this density.  There is not any connective tissue that needs to stall out, where during that time you can just build up a ton of flavor.

The biggest trouble I have in doing a reverse sear over coals is flare ups.  I have come to the method of using a cast iron griddle over a very hot fire to stop the flare ups after a long smoking.  

I think this is correct method to prevent the grey-ring-of-death, but I would say the size and shape of a roast compared to a brisket, for example, doesn't lend to a smoke flavor getting more than 1/4 to 3/8 in into the meat.  

tbf, i don't think it is possible to over smoke a roast of this density.  There is not any connective tissue that needs to stall out, where during that time you can just build up a ton of flavor.

The biggest trouble I have in doing a reverse sear over coals is flare ups.  I have come to the method of using a cast iron griddle over a very hot fire to stop the flare ups after a long smoking.  
I LOVE me some flare ups. Just keep moving it around and pay close attention. Forgive the photography. I've come a long way since then. 

I LOVE me some flare ups. Just keep moving it around and pay close attention. Forgive the photography. I've come a long way since then. 
That one has a bit too much of a ring for my snobs.  I think there was an image I posted of one of my earlier ones way back in this thread somewhere.  that was still with flareups.  

I try to go for a full presentation, and the flareups present with too much black char, I'd rather have more of a franklin's salt and pepper visual.

This! So much this!

Hmm.  I think I'll do this with some horseradish too.  I'm already doing a bunch of filets, but it doesn't feel like Xmas Eve without a prime rib.

Do you think the browning at the end vs. start makes a big difference? I go old school Joy Of Cooking, which recommends preheating the oven to 550, then turning it down to 350 as soon as the roast goes in. I shoot for about 18 mins per pound (this is boneless). Scrumptious and SO easy.
Throwback thread here. Quick take on this - there are certainly new techniques with merit, but I don't know you ever go wrong with Joy of Cooking.

This thread changed my family's Xmas for multiple years...and I couldn't be happier....shout out OP!!!

Here is this years (doing it Xmas eve as we are going to my parents tomorrow).  

https://i.imgur.com/LPD9AGW.jpg

This was the best ever.  I finally know my ovens deficiencies on the 500 and then off method...this was perfect!

(And yes my main veggies for dinner is roasted garlic).

ETA-i know the presentation sucks ... But eat a d***...i don't care:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my smoker but for prime rib with a nice crust I put it in my "set it and forget it" rotisserie.

had a second family that was supposed to come over so my 7 rib roast got cut into 4&3 and the 4 is going on tomorrow morning.

cant wait

Had a 4.5 lb roast...seared in a pan on high heat then into the oven @230 degrees. Pulled it 2.5 hours later when it read 122 internal temp. Rested for 20 minutes. Pretty much perfect and how I wanted it. Almost zero pan drippings as all the juices stayed inside the meat. Super tender, melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

https://i.imgur.com/fudyMVI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ohlfoXr.jpg

After 11 years of asking I’m finally getting the prime rib meal tonight! My BIL is in charge so hoping he gets it right.  

Tried this for the first time this year. Acme had bone-in standing rib roasts for $3.99 a pound which is just ridiculous. 

Went with the Alton Brown method sans the silly Terra Cotta. It came out amazing. Used Joe's horseradish sauce recipe and the entire thing was perfect. 

Tried this for the first time this year. Acme had bone-in standing rib roasts for $3.99 a pound which is just ridiculous. 

Went with the Alton Brown method sans the silly Terra Cotta. It came out amazing. Used Joe's horseradish sauce recipe and the entire thing was perfect. 
How does horse taste?

Throwback thread here. Quick take on this - there are certainly new techniques with merit, but I don't know you ever go wrong with Joy of Cooking.
Went with the reverse sear. Method seen here. Seemed to be less of the overcooked edges. Not much in the way of pan drippings though, so no au jus. 

Couldn't figure out the blowtorch, so I had to sear at the end in a hot convection oven.  But 125 degree sous vide for six hours and then ten minutes in the oven produced a perfect edge to edge rare roast.  And just putting two sprigs of rosemary and a garlic clove int he bag really flavored the roast.  I did an herb rub before searing, but a lot of flavor came from the cook.  

Pretty much the easiest method I've ever done, and it saved me the oven for other things most of the day.  

Perfect again this year... 6lb roast smothered in butter/spice mixture.  35 minutes in a 500 degree oven then turn it off and go to church..  After church come home, make up all the sides and slice.  Wish I took a pic :pics:  

My  dad does this every year. I have no idea what methods he uses but he absolutely kills it every time. One hell of a meal.

Couldn't figure out the blowtorch, so I had to sear at the end in a hot convection oven.  But 125 degree sous vide for six hours and then ten minutes in the oven produced a perfect edge to edge rare roast.  And just putting two sprigs of rosemary and a garlic clove int he bag really flavored the roast.  I did an herb rub before searing, but a lot of flavor came from the cook.  

Pretty much the easiest method I've ever done, and it saved me the oven for other things most of the day.  
I'll be doing that soon. Did you put the rosemary and garlic on the top of the roast and vacuum seal?

Second year doing this on the Traeger. Salted the day before, then covered with a garlic and herb paste a few hours before cooking while coming up to room temp.  Did 250 on the Traeger (so it bounces between 225-250)  took it off at 122 degrees and covered it, cranked Traeger to high and let it come up to temp, then put it back on for 15 minutes. 

Turned out delicious but always room for improvement.  Next year I’ll turn it down to 225, I think some of the internal fat may render more. And I’ll reverse sear on my propane grill, the Traeger just doesn’t get hot enough to get that crust. 

Had a 4.5 lb roast...seared in a pan on high heat then into the oven @230 degrees. Pulled it 2.5 hours later when it read 122 internal temp. Rested for 20 minutes. Pretty much perfect and how I wanted it. Almost zero pan drippings as all the juices stayed inside the meat. Super tender, melt-in-your-mouth goodness.

https://i.imgur.com/fudyMVI.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ohlfoXr.jpg
Doing this again this year with a 5 pounder except I'm gonna skip the sear at the start and blast it at 500 degrees at the end of the cook to try to get a better crust. Hoping it turns out as good as last year's.

I seasoned it Monday at noon and am leaving it uncovered in the fridge til I cook it Tuesday (about 24 hours total). Interested to see what difference it makes, if any.

I've done them different ways in the past.

Did a 5# bone in last night.  Oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs.

500 for about 20-25. Turned oven down to 250....  For about 2 hrs.  Pulled at 125 to rest.   Au jus.

Gruyere popovers

Crispy roasted red potatoes.

Mine came out more done than I would have liked, but it was juicy as could be as there were zero pan drippings. 230 degrees for almost 3 hours, pulled at 122 but I think my analog thermometer needs to be calibrated or better yet replaced with a digital. Had sides of mashed potatoes, gravy, grilled asparagus, and sauteed whole mushrooms. Delicious!

I made a practice run of cooking one of these babies this year. 3lb, bone in. Room temp, seasoned with butter, kosher salt, cracked pepper, and minced garlic.

I hit it at 500 degrees for 15 minutes, and then shut the oven off. Digital corded grill thermometer kept the temp for me. I pulled at 120 degrees, and foil tented while I made the au jus with drippings, red cooking wine, Worcester, and more cracked pepper.

The flavor was excellent, and meat yielded a rare to medium rare cut. I was very happy with the results, and will be uppgrading to a much larger cut next time. 

This was too easy to turn out this great. Wow.

Bought a 13 lb prime-grade prime rib roast at CostCo. I believe it was $11.49/lb or thereabouts. Too big for Xmas dinner for 8, so sliced off some very nice steaks on each end for later use. Wound up with maybe an 8 lb roast after trimming.

Butter, thyme, mexican oregano, black pepper blended into a paste and layered on the roast. Sticks very easily to the meat (which had air-dried in the refrigerator over 5 days, by the way).

500 degrees for 25 minutes over a pan containing mirepoix, garlic, beef broth and red wine. Smoked like a mother but all good. Then convection at 350 until internal temp hit 120. Took it off for 30 min while i made the jus, which started with a rue using the fat from the meat.

It was excellent. 

Thinking next time I'll buy another CostCo roast and slice it into ribeye steaks. Hard to beat that price for prime grade, right?

Users who are viewing this thread