What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (2 Viewers)

Making two 10 lbs prime ribs for a house full of 20 people tomorrow. What am I looking at for cooking time? Is the 20 min per lb estimate still applying here? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

so, going back to the stone ages, when should I first check this sucker?6 lb bone in roast. Don't want to punch a ton of holes in it. Thinking at the 2hr mark
two hours? how hot are you cooking it? I was thinking it should be more like 20-25 minutes, but I like mine medium rare.
I have an 8 pound Im cooking in a couple of hours. Im thinking 400 for 15 mins, then drop it down to 325 for an hour and half. I want to pull it out of the oven at 115. If my MIL and wife think its too rare they can put it in the microwave. Im not gonna ruin my prime rib cuz these clowns like everything burnt.... :thumbdown:

Making two 10 lbs prime ribs for a house full of 20 people tomorrow. What am I looking at for cooking time? Is the 20 min per lb estimate still applying here? Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
The thing to remember with the big ones is that the temp will continue to rise much longer after you pull it out than a 4 or 5 lb will

I did a beef tenderloin this year instead of the rib roast I have done the last couple years, and was much happier with the results.

At the last minute I decided to pan sear it before putting it in the oven and ended up over cooking it a little, but it still turned out very good.

Alright, looking for some tips as I combine a few different recipes/methods here. I plan on doing the Alton Brown low/hi method, but if I can't get the terra cotta pot I'll do it on Convection which should help with the evenness of the heat right? Also, I'll be doing the garlic/horseradish/salt/pepper paste described recently. I'll also be employing the Cooks Illustrated method of having oxtails and onions coated in oil and tomato paste cooking under the roast to add some flavor/moisture and provide a base for a jus when done.

A few questions...is adding rosemary to the paste (or spearing some sprigs into the meat) too much? How much fat cap should I leave on? (It is aging in the fridge with a fair bit of fat on now.) Should I cut the meat from the bone and re-tie before cooking to make it easier once done or just worry about it at the end? To get something that is medium rare, what temp should I pull at for a roast that was 9.4 lbs before aging (not sure what it will weigh tomorrow)?

Any other tips I need to be aware of?

That is way too done. I like mine at about 125 after it has sit for 20 mins after cooking.
:shrug: it was medium rare.. Perfect for everyone in the family. Pleasing 7 people with flavor and texture takes a lot and we pulled it off and all were VERY happy with the results! :thumbup:
I just got done eating mine. Pulled it from the oven at 115. Starting cutting it at 127. Mine was better,I rocked! I won the award, not you....

I did a 5lb prime rib roast today...cooked it @ 400 for 10 minutes, then down to 225 for 3 hours Pulled it out at about 112 degrees and let it stand for about 45 minutes It ended up rare to med-rare Juicy, tender and delicious. I wish i wouldve taken a pictire, it was beautiful

Last edited by a moderator:
Norman Einstein said:
Boom Switch said:
snogger said:
That is way too done. I like mine at about 125 after it has sit for 20 mins after cooking.
good thing he didn't ask you...personally, i can do without the side of blood soup yours would provide.
couple of things. It's not blood. Also, if you let it rest properly there will be very little juice on the plate. If you cook it to medium, or even medium well, and don't let it rest there will be more juice on the plate than a rare slice properly rested.

Norman Einstein said:
Boom Switch said:
snogger said:
good thing he didn't ask you...personally, i can do without the side of blood soup yours would provide.
couple of things. It's not blood. Also, if you let it rest properly there will be very little juice on the plate. If you cook it to medium, or even medium well, and don't let it rest there will be more juice on the plate than a rare slice properly rested.
:thumbdown: also, I propably wasn't as clear as I should have been. We took it out at 120, and placed Tinfoil over it for 20+ minutes until it reached 130 and than started carving.

Also, we preheated the oven to 500. When it reached 500, we set it back to 325 and then placed the Prime Rib in the oven. We rubbed some Virgin oil over the top and then rubbed in Kosher salt and some pepper. Seemed to work to perfection and can't wait to do it again. :thumbdown:

Norman Einstein said:
Boom Switch said:
snogger said:
shush, you..... ;) i know those things...

cooked our 6.5lb bone-in for 15 minutes at 500 degrees, then dropped temp to 225 for the next 3 hours...removed at 128, let it rest 45 min (supposed only be about 20 minutes but the inlaws were late)...ended up at 136...everyone enjoyed

Norman Einstein said:
Boom Switch said:
snogger said:
shush, you..... ;) i know those things...

cooked our 6.5lb bone-in for 15 minutes at 500 degrees, then dropped temp to 225 for the next 3 hours...removed at 128, let it rest 45 min (supposed only be about 20 minutes but the inlaws were late)...ended up at 136...everyone enjoyed
Good grief thats burnt!! You ruined it!! :mellow:

Did Thomas Keller's "blowtorch prime rib" yesterday -- this basically involves blasting the outside of the meat with a blowtorch, then finishing in a low oven (he suggests 275 but we did 250)

Took it out at 120 to appease the pink-o-phobics, it was a little bit overdone for my liking, but I was more concerned this time with good crust formation and lack of grey ring. The blowtorch method excels at both of these.

Did Thomas Keller's "blowtorch prime rib" yesterday -- this basically involves blasting the outside of the meat with a blowtorch, then finishing in a low oven (he suggests 275 but we did 250)Took it out at 120 to appease the pink-o-phobics, it was a little bit overdone for my liking, but I was more concerned this time with good crust formation and lack of grey ring. The blowtorch method excels at both of these.
Aw, crap. Now I gotta talk the wife into me getting a blow torch. I don't even know what this all entails, but I've got to try this....

Did Thomas Keller's "blowtorch prime rib" yesterday -- this basically involves blasting the outside of the meat with a blowtorch, then finishing in a low oven (he suggests 275 but we did 250)Took it out at 120 to appease the pink-o-phobics, it was a little bit overdone for my liking, but I was more concerned this time with good crust formation and lack of grey ring. The blowtorch method excels at both of these.
Aw, crap. Now I gotta talk the wife into me getting a blow torch. I don't even know what this all entails, but I've got to try this....
You can get a propane torch for maybe 20 bucks, you basically use it to sear the meat, which will end up looking greyish and the fat will have started to render. Then salt and pepper and throw it in a low-ish oven. It looks unappetizing when you put it in, but it helps it develop an awesome crust by the end of cooking, even at the low temp.

Did my first prime rib for Christmas dinner. Just a 6lb-er.

Thermometers failed me. I have a remote weber thermometer that failed. I have a digital fork thermometer that was flaky. I had an espresso machine thermometer that was giving me different readings everywhere in the meat. I need to get a good one.

Anyway I took it out just under 2 hrs and it turned out pretty rare. Was probably 108 when I took it out. We were nuking some of the meat. But after carving we threw it back in the oven at 400 for 10 more mins and the leftovers ended up being quite good.

Next time I'll get it right.

17seconds said:
Did my first prime rib for Christmas dinner. Just a 6lb-er.

Thermometers failed me. I have a remote weber thermometer that failed. I have a digital fork thermometer that was flaky. I had an espresso machine thermometer that was giving me different readings everywhere in the meat. I need to get a good one.

Anyway I took it out just under 2 hrs and it turned out pretty rare. Was probably 108 when I took it out. We were nuking some of the meat. But after carving we threw it back in the oven at 400 for 10 more mins and the leftovers ended up being quite good.

Next time I'll get it right.
Don't you just hate having to do it again to make it better? :rant:

So is the estimate approx 20 mins/lb when you are cooking at 225?

I know it's all variable but I need to have some sort of ballpark to work from. Need to time it for after the kid goes to bed and I don't want to underestimate and be eating dinner at 10pm!

I have a nearly 5lb roast and want to cook it at 225 til it hits 120ish, rest it and then hit it at 500 for the crust....

So is the estimate approx 20 mins/lb when you are cooking at 225? I know it's all variable but I need to have some sort of ballpark to work from. Need to time it for after the kid goes to bed and I don't want to underestimate and be eating dinner at 10pm!I have a nearly 5lb roast and want to cook it at 225 til it hits 120ish, rest it and then hit it at 500 for the crust....
Just a heads up that a 5 lbs is not going to increase in temp too much when you rest it. It will take anywhere from 75 minutes to 2 hours depending on the roast and your oven.

So is the estimate approx 20 mins/lb when you are cooking at 225? I know it's all variable but I need to have some sort of ballpark to work from. Need to time it for after the kid goes to bed and I don't want to underestimate and be eating dinner at 10pm!I have a nearly 5lb roast and want to cook it at 225 til it hits 120ish, rest it and then hit it at 500 for the crust....
Just a heads up that a 5 lbs is not going to increase in temp too much when you rest it. It will take anywhere from 75 minutes to 2 hours depending on the roast and your oven.
Thanks for the tip! So are you suggesting for this size roast that I should consider taking it up maybe to 125, rest and then back in for the crust?I just want to make sure I stay in the med rare range.

You can get a propane torch for maybe 20 bucks, you basically use it to sear the meat, which will end up looking greyish and the fat will have started to render. Then salt and pepper and throw it in a low-ish oven. It looks unappetizing when you put it in, but it helps it develop an awesome crust by the end of cooking, even at the low temp.
Are we talking a creme brulee propane torch? we have a couple of those

Thanks for the tip! So are you suggesting for this size roast that I should consider taking it up maybe to 125, rest and then back in for the crust?I just want to make sure I stay in the med rare range.
That's been my experience with smaller roasts. I actually did a bone in rib roast on Christmas that was around 4 or 5 lbs and it only went up 1 degree when I took it out..>BUT it did go up a few more when crusting because of the small size.

OK, just bought an 8.5 lber for tomorrow night. How much time should I allot, assuming:

- 2 hours on the counter to bring to room temperature

- 15 minute, 550 degree sear

- Cook temp of 225

- Removal at 120 degrees

- 20-30 minute rest period

I will be using a built-in thermometer within a convection oven that runs true to temp, but need to pace things so that it's ready around the time people show up at the house. Is this about six hours from removal from the fridge to carve?

OK, just bought an 8.5 lber for tomorrow night. How much time should I allot, assuming:- 2 hours on the counter to bring to room temperature- 15 minute, 550 degree sear- Cook temp of 225- Removal at 120 degrees- 20-30 minute rest periodI will be using a built-in thermometer within a convection oven that runs true to temp, but need to pace things so that it's ready around the time people show up at the house. Is this about six hours from removal from the fridge to carve?
If you're going to sear first, why bring it to room temp? Having the middle still be cold will help protect overcooking while still giving you the sear you want. This is a roast, not a steak.

OK, just bought an 8.5 lber for tomorrow night. How much time should I allot, assuming:- 2 hours on the counter to bring to room temperature- 15 minute, 550 degree sear- Cook temp of 225- Removal at 120 degrees- 20-30 minute rest periodI will be using a built-in thermometer within a convection oven that runs true to temp, but need to pace things so that it's ready around the time people show up at the house. Is this about six hours from removal from the fridge to carve?
If you're going to sear first, why bring it to room temp? Having the middle still be cold will help protect overcooking while still giving you the sear you want. This is a roast, not a steak.
OK, I can do that. So, now how much time am I looking at, approximately?

A long time. I usually do 20-25/pound at 275-300.

I just did a 17 pounder for Xmas.

My schedule went something like this

7:00 AM remove from fridge

9:00 AM into oven 225 degrees convection bake

1:30 PM remove from oven, tested 115

1:35 PM back in 500 degree oven to sear

1:45 PM remove from oven, rest under tinfoil

2:30 PM serve beautiful pink juicy tender delicious meat

My understanding is that most all roasts significantly above 5 lbs will go on about the same schedule, maybe a touch shorter but not a ton.

I highly recommend the sear at the end. It worked a lot better for me than last year when I seared at the beginning. You can also keep an eye on the temp before the sear, and take it out if it looks like it's cooking too fast, then put it in for the sear about an hour before serving.

Are we talking a creme brulee propane torch? we have a couple of those
One of the bigger ones you get at a hardware store would probably work better IMO. That's not to say you can't do it with the mini-torch however.

Letting meat come to room temp (or "tempering") helps you achieve even cooking throughout the roast -- it's generally a good practice no matter what you're cooking (chicken, turkey, pork / beef roasts or steaks). If the middle were, for argument's sake, frozen, it would certainly protect the middle from getting overdone, but the outer edges of the meat would be toast.

Letting meat come to room temp (or "tempering") helps you achieve even cooking throughout the roast -- it's generally a good practice no matter what you're cooking (chicken, turkey, pork / beef roasts or steaks). If the middle were, for argument's sake, frozen, it would certainly protect the middle from getting overdone, but the outer edges of the meat would be toast.
On a large piece of meat cooking at low temps, it's just not as important. The long cook time and the lower temps wll achieve the same result.

On a large piece of meat cooking at low temps, it's just not as important. The long cook time and the lower temps wll achieve the same result.
I get where you're coming from, but it can also be argued that it's even more critical for large roasts, as the volume of meat will have such varying temperatures throughout. I don't think tempering is nearly as important as a good long rest after it comes out of the oven. We let our 9 lber rest a good 45 minutes before carving in this year, almost no juice came out and it was evenly pink throughout.

A long time. I usually do 20-25/pound at 275-300.
Thx, Fanatic.

Meat looks good but what's up with the chicken wings, meatballs and glass of white wine? The prime rib calls for potatoes au gratin, green beans with bacon and a hearty red. It'll change your life!
The wine was brought with the other items.. I don't :argue: about free alcohol ;) But you are correct, normally I'd have severed up red wine.

Normal Christmas eve dinner is usually just a bunch of hors d'oeuvres. This year we decided to throw in the Prime Rib.

Oh and if someone brought Au Gratin Potatoes to my house they'd end up in the garbage before they were even put in the oven.. :X :X :X

How's my time here?

I have an boneless 8.5lb prime rib; wife wants to carve at 8pm

Will be at room temp prior to hitting the over.

275 deg oven/20 min per lb = 3 hrs cook time

Rest 1/2 hr once it arrives at 120deg

cook at 500 deg for 10/15 minutes for crust

Does it need to rest again after searing - if so how long?

Could I just crank the oven to 500deg during the initial cook once the roast reaches 110 -115 and sear it till it reaches 120 then just let it rest? Seems to me it would be about the same????

Does anyone have experience w/ Montreal Steak seasoning - Wife loves it but I feel its to "busy" for prime rib.... Thoughts

snitwitch said:
Drifter said:
snitwitch said:
Drifter said:
-jb- said:
I get where you're coming from, but it can also be argued that it's even more critical for large roasts, as the volume of meat will have such varying temperatures throughout. I don't think tempering is nearly as important as a good long rest after it comes out of the oven. We let our 9 lber rest a good 45 minutes before carving in this year, almost no juice came out and it was evenly pink throughout.
I've stayed out of this point of discussion because I have no scientific evidence to back it up. But, gut feeling here, has me thinking go with a room temp roast and not straight from the fridge to the oven. I could be wrong. It might not make a difference, but I wouldn't chance it...

Boomer1 said:
How's my time here?I have an boneless 8.5lb prime rib; wife wants to carve at 8pmWill be at room temp prior to hitting the over.275 deg oven/20 min per lb = 3 hrs cook timeRest 1/2 hr once it arrives at 120degcook at 500 deg for 10/15 minutes for crustDoes it need to rest again after searing - if so how long?Could I just crank the oven to 500deg during the initial cook once the roast reaches 110 -115 and sear it till it reaches 120 then just let it rest? Seems to me it would be about the same???? Does anyone have experience w/ Montreal Steak seasoning - Wife loves it but I feel its to "busy" for prime rib.... Thoughts
No need to rest and then sear because then you just excited the juices again and will need to rest it again. You can crank the oven up to 500, put the roast in, drop it down to 275-300 and cook till 115. Or you can put it in at 275-300 and then sear at the end. Either way should work.As for Montreal Seasoning, think of it this way. You only get the rub on the outer vertical sides of a slice of prime rib. You don't get it on the much larger horizontal sides. You can really go overboard with the rub or sauce and still have it be subtle with how little surface area of each slice will have some on it.

Boomer1 said:
How's my time here?I have an boneless 8.5lb prime rib; wife wants to carve at 8pmWill be at room temp prior to hitting the over.275 deg oven/20 min per lb = 3 hrs cook timeRest 1/2 hr once it arrives at 120degcook at 500 deg for 10/15 minutes for crustDoes it need to rest again after searing - if so how long?Could I just crank the oven to 500deg during the initial cook once the roast reaches 110 -115 and sear it till it reaches 120 then just let it rest? Seems to me it would be about the same???? Does anyone have experience w/ Montreal Steak seasoning - Wife loves it but I feel its to "busy" for prime rib.... Thoughts
No need to rest and then sear because then you just excited the juices again and will need to rest it again. You can crank the oven up to 500, put the roast in, drop it down to 275-300 and cook till 115. Or you can put it in at 275-300 and then sear at the end. Either way should work.As for Montreal Seasoning, think of it this way. You only get the rub on the outer vertical sides of a slice of prime rib. You don't get it on the much larger horizontal sides. You can really go overboard with the rub or sauce and still have it be subtle with how little surface area of each slice will have some on it.
Sounds GoodI believe I'll cook till ~110deg then up the temp to 500 and cook till 118-120 then rest 1/2 hr

Rubbed my 4.75lb roast with oil and seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and convection roasted for about 2.5hrs at 225 to 123, rested while i took the oven to 500 and then I was only able to keep it in for about 5 or 6 minutes and it was up to 133 so I took it out. It was awesome! Next time I think I'll pull at 120 and then put back in for the crust. One thing I was disappointed in was there was very little drippings, not even close to enough to make the yorkshire pudding I had planned. Any idea why? Too small a roast? Maybe cook at 250 next time to encourage more drippings??

Maybe I shouldn't have used convection roasting?

Users who are viewing this thread