What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Prime Rib Christmas Supper (1 Viewer)

Rubbed my 4.75lb roast with oil and seasoned with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, and convection roasted for about 2.5hrs at 225 to 123, rested while i took the oven to 500 and then I was only able to keep it in for about 5 or 6 minutes and it was up to 133 so I took it out. It was awesome! Next time I think I'll pull at 120 and then put back in for the crust. One thing I was disappointed in was there was very little drippings, not even close to enough to make the yorkshire pudding I had planned. Any idea why? Too small a roast? Maybe cook at 250 next time to encourage more drippings??Maybe I shouldn't have used convection roasting?
My guess is that hotter or bigger is the way to go. I did a 17 pounder for Xmas pretty much exactly the same way and got less grease than I expected. I had just enough rendered fat for yorkshire pudding and gravy.

Well, I tried this for the first time last night and it was a disaster of epic proportions. I still don't know what happened so if anyone has an idea, let me know.

I bought a rib roast from Sam's Club that was almost 13 lbs as I was feeding 10 adults and wanted some leftovers. Unfortunately, they take their bones out, but with the price of that meat being $84, it was too good to pass up.

We were planning on eating around 7:30 and unfortunately, a few guests couldn't get over any earlier so this time was non-negotiable. Figuring about 20 minutes per pound of cook time, 3pm was a good start time, finish close to 7pm and give it 20-30 minutes to rest. Rubbed with some roasted garlic, kosher salt, pepper, and rosemary on the outside. Put on my roasting pan and stuck it in the oven.

Now, as I've never cooked anything like this before, I didn't have a meat thermometer so I went out and bought this one to make this. I put the thermometer in right in the deepest part of the meat. Started the oven at 500 degrees for 5 minutes and then turned it down to 300.

Initially, the thermometer was reading 275 for the oven temperature but about 30 minutes later, it dropped to only reading ~250. This wasn't good. Luckily, my mother who was over lives close by and has a meat thermometer although it's not one that can go in the oven. I figured I'd have her bring it over and do a check to compare and see where I was. After about 2 and a half hours of cooking, she left to go get it and came back about 20 minutes later. I take the meat out, stick in her thermometer and............

140 degrees!! Huh?

Somehow, that 13 lb piece of meat went way over and 3/4th of the time. At this point, I didn't put it back in, wrapped it in some foil, and just hoped for the best. It was to no avail. Not only was the temp way to high already, but now the meat is out more than an hour and a half from eating time. So it got to sit there for an hour and a half and continue to cook inside while sitting there. By the time I cut into it, there wasn't a shred of pink in it.

Needless to say, it was terrible. I truly have no idea how it cooked so fast and so much but I don't think I'd be willing to try again. Ugh.

Did this last night and it went very well...except the cook time of 20/25 minutes per pound at 375 was way off. I roasted an 8.5 lber in an hour and a half. Thankfully my oven's built-in thermometer worked perfectly and set off the alarm at 120. The meat held at 133, wrapped in foil, until my guests arrived. A good hour and a half. Put it back in to sear it, let it sit, and it was still great. Everyone is right...pretty foolproof.

Did this last night and it went very well...except the cook time of 20/25 minutes per pound at 375 was way off. I roasted an 8.5 lber in an hour and a half. Thankfully my oven's built-in thermometer worked perfectly and set off the alarm at 120. The meat held at 133, wrapped in foil, until my guests arrived. A good hour and a half. Put it back in to sear it, let it sit, and it was still great. Everyone is right...pretty foolproof.
I haven't seen that time heat ratio in here so far. I recommended 20-25 minutes at 275-300. But after what happened to Gian up there, maybe go something like 15-20. Sorry about your NYE PR Gian...

I haven't seen that time heat ratio in here so far. I recommended 20-25 minutes at 275-300. But after what happened to Gian up there, maybe go something like 15-20. Sorry about your NYE PR Gian...
My bad...that's what I get for not reading correctly. Thought you recommended 375, and my oven's "Master Chef" feature recommended 395.What's classic is that it was still awesome, and still cooked perfectly.

I have an explaination for why a large prime rib cooks almost as fast as a medium one but as I have no evidence to back it up, I may just be blowing smoke out my ### (this would be a good question to ask Alton Brown).A turkey cooked at 325 degrees will take about 15 min/lb unstuffed, 20/lb stuffed. This is fairly constant over a large range of sizes. However, a turkey is basically round. The heavier it is, the bigger it is, and the longer the distance from the outside of the bird to the inside. But a prime rib is more rectangular shaped. Usually, they get heavier by adding more ribs which just makes them longer. The distance from the outside to the center from the top and bottom stays about the same, while the distance from the ends increases. Over a certain size, the center is getting it's heat from the top and botton, not from the ends, so how long it is doesn't really factor into the cooking time.Anyway, that's my explaination. YMMV

I made one on Thanksgiving Day (brother was working, so we did the family/turkey thing on Friday instead) and was amazed how idiot-proof it was. I made a rub with some fresh ground pepper and garlic sea salt, paprika, rosemary, and cayenne and slathered the thing with it - slapped it in a 500 degree oven for 12 minutes to get a really good crust, turned the heat down to 250 and roasted for about 2 1/2 hours until probe thermometer registered 122. Pulled it out and tented it with foil - carryover heat brought it to 127 in about 20 minutes. Electric knife was great for cutting 1-1.5" thick slabs - outside was brown, crusty and delicious, inside was tender as all hell and perfect medium rare. I had a bottle of concentrated beef jus I used to create the "gravy" rather than dealing with cooking pan drippings and all that noise - a T of that spooned across the top added even more flavor and moisture. A little tiger sauce (mayo, sour cream, horseradish, worcestershire) on the side was a great addition. Probably the best prime rib I ever had and almost effortless.
Did my first Prime Rib yesterday and followed something close to the above.4.5 lb. hunk of meat, bone-inrub with olive oil, salt and pepper500F for 10 minutes250F oven until I got a internal temp of 124F which happened to be 2 hours of cook time.rest for 30 minutes, but the temp only rose to 126FResult: medium rare, but definitely rare near the bone. Tasted awesome. Unfortunately, my kids wouldn't eat it and my wife didn't like medium rare. :shrug: Sooo, this will be last home prime rib for awhile and I'll have to get my rare cut when I go out to Wildfire or Lawry's.

I made one on Thanksgiving Day (brother was working, so we did the family/turkey thing on Friday instead) and was amazed how idiot-proof it was. I made a rub with some fresh ground pepper and garlic sea salt, paprika, rosemary, and cayenne and slathered the thing with it - slapped it in a 500 degree oven for 12 minutes to get a really good crust, turned the heat down to 250 and roasted for about 2 1/2 hours until probe thermometer registered 122. Pulled it out and tented it with foil - carryover heat brought it to 127 in about 20 minutes. Electric knife was great for cutting 1-1.5" thick slabs - outside was brown, crusty and delicious, inside was tender as all hell and perfect medium rare. I had a bottle of concentrated beef jus I used to create the "gravy" rather than dealing with cooking pan drippings and all that noise - a T of that spooned across the top added even more flavor and moisture. A little tiger sauce (mayo, sour cream, horseradish, worcestershire) on the side was a great addition. Probably the best prime rib I ever had and almost effortless.
Did my first Prime Rib yesterday and followed something close to the above.4.5 lb. hunk of meat, bone-in

rub with olive oil, salt and pepper

500F for 10 minutes

250F oven until I got a internal temp of 124F which happened to be 2 hours of cook time.

rest for 30 minutes, but the temp only rose to 126F

Result: medium rare, but definitely rare near the bone. Tasted awesome. Unfortunately, my kids wouldn't eat it and my wife didn't like medium rare. :thumbdown: Sooo, this will be last home prime rib for awhile and I'll have to get my rare cut when I go out to Wildfire or Lawry's.
I'm slowly working on mine. Unless it's well done then it isn't done. We had steaks the other day and I went with some pink and while she snickered a bit the kids saying how much better it was vs the well done is swaying her a little here and there. I had this problem with a smoke ring also though.

Did my first Prime Rib yesterday and followed something close to the above.

4.5 lb. hunk of meat, bone-in

500F for 10 minutes

250F oven until I got a internal temp of 124F which happened to be 2 hours of cook time.

Result: medium rare, but definitely rare near the bone. Tasted awesome. Unfortunately, my kids wouldn't eat it and my wife didn't like medium rare. :lmao: Sooo, this will be last home prime rib for awhile and I'll have to get my rare cut when I go out to Wildfire or Lawry's.
We did a rib roast this Christmas at my brother's house--first time ever for them, and first in years for myself, since the 'all you can eat' specials at one of the restaurants I used to manage. I'm surprised that nobody else has suggested this--as I'm sure that yours isn't the only household where people like their meat less rare. (for my wife and daughter it better be well done; for my SIL medium). What I did while the roast was resting was take the ample pan drippings, added water and a proportionate amount of boullion, and kept it on a low simmer. While carving I placed some slices in the pan until they were further cooked to their preferred doneness. Worked like a charm--my wife actually said it was the best and most tender she'd ever had. :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did my first Prime Rib yesterday and followed something close to the above.

4.5 lb. hunk of meat, bone-in

500F for 10 minutes

Result: medium rare, but definitely rare near the bone. Tasted awesome. Unfortunately, my kids wouldn't eat it and my wife didn't like medium rare. :lmao: Sooo, this will be last home prime rib for awhile and I'll have to get my rare cut when I go out to Wildfire or Lawry's.
We did a rib roast this Christmas at my brother's house--first time ever for them, and first in years for myself, since the 'all you can eat' specials at one of the restaurants I used to manage. I'm surprised that nobody else has suggested this--as I'm sure that yours isn't the only household where people like their meat less rare. (for my wife and daughter it better be well done; for my SIL medium). What I did while the roast was resting was take the ample pan drippings, added water and a proportionate amount of boullion, and kept it on a low simmer. While carving I placed some slices in the pan until they were further cooked to their preferred doneness. Worked like a charm--my wife actually said it was the best and most tender she'd ever had. :goodposting:
Good tip.I wound up sticking the other half of the roast back in the oven for 20 minutes or so and now my leftovers roast will be medium to well done. It's worth trying again at some point if only because the trimmings from my wife's plate were the best part of the meal... she didn't want to eat the parts that were half fat / half meat - her loss was my gain.

I'm throwing a VERY small one on for fun today. I'm going to smoke it on my webber kettle. going to try and keep it around 200-225 degrees and just cook this little guy as slow as possible.

Need opinions on just 2 things

Take out at

118 or 120? Yes I think it matters

Do you tent w/ foil after taking out? :banned:

I'm throwing a VERY small one on for fun today. I'm going to smoke it on my webber kettle. going to try and keep it around 200-225 degrees and just cook this little guy as slow as possible.Need opinions on just 2 thingsTake out at 118 or 120? Yes I think it mattersDo you tent w/ foil after taking out? :banned:
I don't think you can accurately measure between those temps. On a smaller one pull sooner as you will have less mass to carry through.

If you have prime rib for Christmas dinner ...you must have Yorkshire pudding. Capture that sweet, sweet drippage and make something as good as the meat itseff.

Having a moderate sized New Years party and looking at cooking one of these for the group. Will be 15-25 people so will be budgeting around 14oz of meat for the guys and 10oz meat for the girls. Figuring some will have more and some less. Plus there will be a good number of sides. Going with the Alton Brown method and will be mixing up a proper Rub.

I'm throwing a VERY small one on for fun today. I'm going to smoke it on my webber kettle. going to try and keep it around 200-225 degrees and just cook this little guy as slow as possible.Need opinions on just 2 thingsTake out at 118 or 120? Yes I think it mattersDo you tent w/ foil after taking out? :banned:
I don't think you can accurately measure between those temps. On a smaller one pull sooner as you will have less mass to carry through.
Right - a small one isn't going to have the temperature rise that much once you take it out. Maybe 5 degrees.

When you guys do the 500 degree thing for 10 minutes, you just turn the temp down to 250 while it sits in there right? Youu don't take it out I assume? I have a guy at work telling me he takes it out while the oven goes back to 250 and I thought he was nuts.

8lb USDA Prime cut getting cooked and consumed tomorrow :popcorn:

I love Costco... 7.99/lb for Choice or 13.99/lb for Prime

NOM

There are a few keys to cooking a good prime rib:

Make sure the beef is out of the frig and warmed to room temp before going in the oven; Do NOT season with salt, that just dries it out...in fact I would suggest no seasoning as the meat will provide plenty of flavor especially with the bone in; Make sure you have a good thermometer and use that to see if you oven is accurate before you start cooking; make sure you use the thermometer as your guide to how long to cook as opposed to some calculation of time based on temp and number of pounds; and lastly, make sure you let the meat rest 20 minutes before carving but realize it continues to cook during that rest time

When you guys do the 500 degree thing for 10 minutes, you just turn the temp down to 250 while it sits in there right? Youu don't take it out I assume? I have a guy at work telling me he takes it out while the oven goes back to 250 and I thought he was nuts.
What worked for us last year, and we are doing this year is Preheat the oven to 500.. Then, just as we put the Prime Rib in, turn the heat back down to 325.Biggest thing is to remove it from the oven BEFORE it has reached the Temperature you want. Let it "cook itself" outside the oven.. :thumbup:

We're trying this method this year. We've done the blow torch thing in the past and will likely employ it again for the initial 'sear' and potentially for a final sear as well, if needed.

I'll be cooking an eight pound standing rib roast on Christmas day. I made a cut between the ribs and roast so the ribs flop over but are still attached to the roast. I placed about 2 dozen cloves of garlic in there then tied it together with butcher's string (whatever it's called).

I then smothered the roast with minced garlic, horse raddish, cracked pepper and kosher salt. Before I put it in the oven I'll drape the roast with several pieces of fresh rosemary.

500 degrees for 15 minutes, then drop it down to 325. It'll come out when the internal temp reaches 115 degrees. Let stand for 20 minutes before carving. So money! :yes:

Hey fellas, I'm cooking a big ribeye roast on the grill Sunday, and I'm wondering if there's a rough hour-per-pound ratio I should observe? For heat, I've got the meat on on side of the Weber and a pile of charcoal on the other side covered with a bit of wet hickory.

Hey fellas, I'm cooking a big ribeye roast on the grill Sunday, and I'm wondering if there's a rough hour-per-pound ratio I should observe? For heat, I've got the meat on on side of the Weber and a pile of charcoal on the other side covered with a bit of wet hickory.
Cook to temp.. not time

Trying something a little different this year. Picked up a beautiful New York Strip roast. (They've started calling that a 'steakhouse roast' around here but I think that's just advertising.) Butcher says he prefers it hands down so I'm looking forward to it--love the strip steaks in any case.

Wife went to sprouts and got a nice big one, but the butcher cut the bones out???? that cant be good.

Doing a standing rib roast this year. I think I'm going to try a horseradish crust I have in a Cooks Illustrated.

Costco choice prime rib ready to go for tomorrow. Going to put it on my Traeger smoker, did it once before and it came out AWESOME. No Yorkshire pudding or potatotes for us. Family likes the PR as the centerpiece. Some good au jus and horseradish, Savannah Chop House creamed corn (this is the one absolute that my kids have mandated for every holiday - trust me on this one), sauteed green beans with slivered almonds, rosemary wreath (rolls shaped in the form of a wreath and topped with butter/rosemary), and a phenomenal harvest salad.

Some good wine and this will be a tremendous meal.

Doing a standing rib roast this year. I think I'm going to try a horseradish crust I have in a Cooks Illustrated.
I'd like to see that recipe, plzkthx.I assume that it's something close to this:5 garlic cloves, smashed1/4 cup grated fresh or prepared horseradishLeaves from 2 fresh rosemary sprigsLeaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs1/2 cup kosher salt1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oilIf not, please correct it...can't wait to do this on our 4bone roast tomorrow! :pickle:

Tried both the "initial sear followed by slow oven" and "slow oven with final blast" methods this year. I prefer the latter as the meat is more consistently medium rare throughout; the former give more medium to medium well at the outside when the inside temp hits 120.

We're doing a small one tomorrow (just me, wife and kids) and a larger one next weekend. Was going to just do the one tomorrow (beautiful slab of meat that it is) but the local supermarket had CAB choice for $6 a pound, found one from the middle with nice marbling, a smallish eye and a nice fat tail. :thumbup:

After drying in the fridge for 2 days, the roast really took to the blowtorch well. The crust is going to be money. 3 hours in and we're at 90 degrees, oven temp is around 180.

I'd like to see that recipe, plzkthx.I assume that it's something close to this:5 garlic cloves, smashed1/4 cup grated fresh or prepared horseradishLeaves from 2 fresh rosemary sprigsLeaves from 4 fresh thyme sprigs1/2 cup kosher salt1/4 cup freshly ground black pepper1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oilIf not, please correct it...can't wait to do this on our 4bone roast tomorrow! :pickle:
I did that once, it was awesome but the garlic/horseradish smell was around the house for days afterwords. I need to do it again.

Trying something a little different this year. Picked up a beautiful New York Strip roast. (They've started calling that a 'steakhouse roast' around here but I think that's just advertising.) Butcher says he prefers it hands down so I'm looking forward to it--love the strip steaks in any case.
How did this go/ Did it live up to the Butcher's billing?Doing a 7 pound boneless rib roast tonight, and another 7 pounder tomorrow (hosting 2 different groups of people). Will rub with a little oil and "Misty's Seasoning" (the best steakhouse in Lincoln, NE - unbelievable prime rib is made there). Going to cook at 200 in a roaster - will pull at 120. Rest. Sear in 500 degree oven. Rest. Devour with cheesy hashbrowns and chophouse creamed corn. :wood:

Costco choice prime rib ready to go for tomorrow. Going to put it on my Traeger smoker, did it once before and it came out AWESOME. No Yorkshire pudding or potatotes for us. Family likes the PR as the centerpiece. Some good au jus and horseradish, Savannah Chop House creamed corn (this is the one absolute that my kids have mandated for every holiday - trust me on this one), sauteed green beans with slivered almonds, rosemary wreath (rolls shaped in the form of a wreath and topped with butter/rosemary), and a phenomenal harvest salad.

Some good wine and this will be a tremendous meal.
Wow. Everyone is living it up.What are you thinking about for wine?

Sorry - I didn't check back in. The recipe is originally from a Cooks Illustrated (which also has a great way to do roasted potatoes in the same issue).It's horseradish, garlic, a shallot, thyme, parsley, toasted bread crumbs, fried potato crumbles held onto the meat with a horseradish, dijon and gelatin. paste It was delicious.

Doing a 7 pound boneless rib roast tonight, and another 7 pounder tomorrow (hosting 2 different groups of people). Will rub with a little oil and "Misty's Seasoning" (the best steakhouse in Lincoln, NE - unbelievable prime rib is made there). Going to cook at 200 in a roaster - will pull at 120. Rest. Sear in 500 degree oven. Rest. Devour with cheesy hashbrowns and chophouse creamed corn. :wood:
I meant to take pictures but totally forgot. This turned out amazing. I had it in a 200 degree roaster and pulled it at 120, it rested and the temp rose to 127. I then put it into a 500 degree oven for approx. 7 minutes. I then let it rest for another 15 minutes and it rose to 128 during that time. Served at 128 and it was a perfect medium-rare throughout. The Au Jus (drippings, beef stock, red wine, minced garlic) was awesome. And now I am going to do it all again today! :banned: This meal is just way too easy for it to be sooooooooooo good.

Users who are viewing this thread