What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

Tat

Has-been punter
Got an egg from my in-laws yesterday.

I am very pumped about it, considering I didn't even ask for it.

Looking forward to hearing some ideas from other egg owners out there.

My brother has one. It's awesome. I've never used one other than to light his once, but I do know that it requires it's own type of unique care given that it's a porcelain grill, so read up about that.

I do know that you aren't supposed to use conventional charcoal (e.g. Kingsford briquets). You need to go find genuine charcoal, such as true mesquite charcoal, to cook. I'm not sure why, but that's what my brother told me.

It also stores a lot of heat so it cooks using that retained heat as much as it does from the underneath fuel source.

If I can find out more about recipes or cooking techniques, I'll post the info.

I have one and LOVE it. Get rid of the gass grill. The only thing you will use it for is to store tools for your egg. Your egg can do anything that your gass can and will do it better and the food will taste 10x better.

Make sure you visit the biggreeneggforums. This is another must visit site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

The egg will cook you one of the best steaks you have ever eaten.

Here is what you do.

Get a 1.5 - 1.75 inch thick ribeye or strip.

Set it out a few hours before you plan to cook so it can warm up to room temp.

30 minutes before you start, rub them down with olive oil, then I use a generous amount of crushed black pepper and sea/kosher salt. I also put some garlic powder on.

Load up the grill with whatever kind of lump charcoal you have. DO NOT use briquetts.(sp) Open up the bottom vent and do not put the daisey wheel on the top. In about 20 minutes you should be around 1000 degrees and ready to go! When the flames are shooting 3 feet out of the top, its there.

Sear your steaks for 90 seconds per side and pull them off. Close down the bottom vent and put the daisy wheel on the top. You want the temp to drop to around 400 degrees. This will take about 30 minutes. Great time to cook some appetizers like bacon wrapped scallops!

Once your grill is down to 400 degrees, cook the steaks for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. I like mine rare and do 2 minutes per side.

Enjoy! Best steak you will ever have and I have ate at Ruth Chris and alot of the other major steak houses. Their meat is better quality, but there is not much difference is taste, tenderness, and how juicy they are.

Feel free to pm me for more help.

I have one and LOVE it. Get rid of the gass grill. The only thing you will use it for is to store tools for your egg. Your egg can do anything that your gass can and will do it better and the food will taste 10x better.

Make sure you visit the biggreeneggforums. This is another must visit site http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

The egg will cook you one of the best steaks you have ever eaten.

Here is what you do.

Get a 1.5 - 1.75 inch thick ribeye or strip.

Set it out a few hours before you plan to cook so it can warm up to room temp.

30 minutes before you start, rub them down with olive oil, then I use a generous amount of crushed black pepper and sea/kosher salt. I also put some garlic powder on.

Load up the grill with whatever kind of lump charcoal you have. DO NOT use briquetts.(sp) Open up the bottom vent and do not put the daisey wheel on the top. In about 20 minutes you should be around 1000 degrees and ready to go! When the flames are shooting 3 feet out of the top, its there.

Sear your steaks for 90 seconds per side and pull them off. Close down the bottom vent and put the daisy wheel on the top. You want the temp to drop to around 400 degrees. This will take about 30 minutes. Great time to cook some appetizers like bacon wrapped scallops!

Once your grill is down to 400 degrees, cook the steaks for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. I like mine rare and do 2 minutes per side.

Enjoy! Best steak you will ever have and I have ate at Ruth Chris and alot of the other major steak houses. Their meat is better quality, but there is not much difference is taste, tenderness, and how juicy they are.

Feel free to pm me for more help.
:shock: Looks like I mat need to rethink where I am putting this thing

Tat said:
Joe Bryant said:
Hi Tat,

Lots of people swear by them. They have a forum here http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

Let us know how you like it.

J
Uh oh, a new forearm to wander around in......I am still keeping my gas grill, but will definitely use the egg for larger meals and for smoking!
Hi tat,What size grill did you get? The relatively small size of the Big Green Egg has been the biggest thing holding me back from getting one. (That and having 3 other grills / smokers already at my house...)

I do a great steak with the Palm Steakhouse method of searing it on a really high heat cast iron skillet, then resting and then finishing in the oven. So I'm not sure I'd use it for steaks.

But the size for the cost thing has held me back. What do you think?

J

BGE's are the Macs of the grilling world. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just seems that way to me.

J

Tat said:
Joe Bryant said:
Hi Tat,

Lots of people swear by them. They have a forum here http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.shtml

J
Uh oh, a new forearm to wander around in......I am still keeping my gas grill, but will definitely use the egg for larger meals and for smoking!
Hi tat,What size grill did you get? The relatively small size of the Big Green Egg has been the biggest thing holding me back from getting one. (That and having 3 other grills / smokers already at my house...)

I do a great steak with the Palm Steakhouse method of searing it on a really high heat cast iron skillet, then resting and then finishing in the oven. So I'm not sure I'd use it for steaks.

J
It was still boxed up in my In-Laws garage yesterday, but it was heavy. I think it is the middle sized BGE.MODEL GRILL Diameter HEIGHT inches WIDTH nches WEIGHT pounds TURKEY Capacity

Large 18¼ 30 21 140 15+ lbs

Medium 15 26 18 95 12-15 lbs

Small 13 22 16 65 10-12 lbs

Mini 9½ 15 12 30 NO

BGE's are the Macs of the grilling world. And I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just seems that way to me.J
I just got mine and haven't used it yet, but I agree with you. It seems like every BGE owner is doing an infomercial. They all seem to genuinely love them, but I can't help but feel a little like they are a little too invested in their choice of smoker/grill.I also have a big rig from Tejas Smokers and a Weber kettle, so I think I have the whole grill/barbecue thing pretty well covered.

I have a XL big green egg. I would consider myself an eggspert on using it, as a matter of fact I just cooked a 22 pound turkey on the egg yesterday for christmas dinner. I was the best turkey I have ever had!! Super moist and great flavor, plus the presentation was a golden brown like you see on those Christmas cards.

That being said there is a learning curve while cooking on the egg. I would suggest posting on the big green egg website. There forum is kind of like this one in that you can post a question any time of the day and get a response within minutes.

Never use briquetts or lighter fluid in your egg. The ceramic will absorb the fumes from these and ruin the egg. I dont know where you live but you use lump charcoal in the egg, if you are down south you will not have a problem finding this. If you live up north you can find it at walmart (very inexpensive, 5 bucks for 10 pounds). Or I believe Ace hardware can order some for you and they dont charge shipping. The nakedwhiz.com has ratings on all different kinds of lump. Check out that site for more info on lump

I use a mapp torch to light my lump. I just hold it in one spot for about 15 seconds, close the lid and open the bottom vent. Then I let the temp rise to whatever desired cooking temp I am looking for. You can hold temps from 250 to 1000+ by adjusting both the top and bottom vent.

As far as that other post about cooking steaks, that is a great recipe but one thing to keep in mind, after searing them and closing the lid and vents to get it to 400 degrees, when you do get it to 400 degrees DONT just open the lid. First open the upper and lower vents, and wait 5 seconds or so. Then when opening the lid open it SLOWLY!! Fires need three things to burn. Heat, fuel and air. If you open the lid fast you run the risk of creating a backdraft, this will cause a huge fireball to shoot out the egg, burning the hair off your arms and perhaps your eyebrows. As long as you are careful you should have no problem.

Once you get good at your egg you will never use your gasser again, I guarentee that. Everything from burgers to steaks and chicken taste better on the egg. The reason is because the egg keeps the moisture in and thus your meat is much juicier. And when done cooking just close the bottom vent and cap the top, this will smother the fire and any unused charcoal will be useable for your next cook.

I can go on and on about the egg, some of the things i have cooked on my egg is pizza, bread, cookies, pies, steaks chicken, ribs, veggies, really there is nothing you cannot cook on your egg.

Try this for your first cook. It called spatchcocked chicken. Its easy and will be the juicest chicken you will ever have had.

Get a whole chicken and have the butcher cut out the spine. Bring your egg up to 350 degrees and place the butterflyed chicken on the grill bone side down. Cook it for about 45 minutes or until the temp is 165 degrees. Best chicken you will ever have. Any more questions either post here or PM me.

PS Joe, if you get this grill you will soon sell all the others you have, it is by far the best.

My Father-In-Law has one and this thing is amazing. He always uses Cowboy lump charcoal which doesn't cost much and should be easy to find.

Get a good stand and a cast iron top if you don't already have one.

I have a XL big green egg. I would consider myself an eggspert on using it, as a matter of fact I just cooked a 22 pound turkey on the egg yesterday for christmas dinner. I was the best turkey I have ever had!! Super moist and great flavor, plus the presentation was a golden brown like you see on those Christmas cards.

That being said there is a learning curve while cooking on the egg. I would suggest posting on the big green egg website. There forum is kind of like this one in that you can post a question any time of the day and get a response within minutes.

Never use briquetts or lighter fluid in your egg. The ceramic will absorb the fumes from these and ruin the egg. I dont know where you live but you use lump charcoal in the egg, if you are down south you will not have a problem finding this. If you live up north you can find it at walmart (very inexpensive, 5 bucks for 10 pounds). Or I believe Ace hardware can order some for you and they dont charge shipping. The nakedwhiz.com has ratings on all different kinds of lump. Check out that site for more info on lump

I use a mapp torch to light my lump. I just hold it in one spot for about 15 seconds, close the lid and open the bottom vent. Then I let the temp rise to whatever desired cooking temp I am looking for. You can hold temps from 250 to 1000+ by adjusting both the top and bottom vent.

As far as that other post about cooking steaks, that is a great recipe but one thing to keep in mind, after searing them and closing the lid and vents to get it to 400 degrees, when you do get it to 400 degrees DONT just open the lid. First open the upper and lower vents, and wait 5 seconds or so. Then when opening the lid open it SLOWLY!! Fires need three things to burn. Heat, fuel and air. If you open the lid fast you run the risk of creating a backdraft, this will cause a huge fireball to shoot out the egg, burning the hair off your arms and perhaps your eyebrows. As long as you are careful you should have no problem.

Once you get good at your egg you will never use your gasser again, I guarentee that. Everything from burgers to steaks and chicken taste better on the egg. The reason is because the egg keeps the moisture in and thus your meat is much juicier. And when done cooking just close the bottom vent and cap the top, this will smother the fire and any unused charcoal will be useable for your next cook.

I can go on and on about the egg, some of the things i have cooked on my egg is pizza, bread, cookies, pies, steaks chicken, ribs, veggies, really there is nothing you cannot cook on your egg.

Try this for your first cook. It called spatchcocked chicken. Its easy and will be the juicest chicken you will ever have had.

Get a whole chicken and have the butcher cut out the spine. Bring your egg up to 350 degrees and place the butterflyed chicken on the grill bone side down. Cook it for about 45 minutes or until the temp is 165 degrees. Best chicken you will ever have. Any more questions either post here or PM me.

PS Joe, if you get this grill you will soon sell all the others you have, it is by far the best.
I'm interested in how all this juice is kept in. What about a ceramic cooker is so different there?J

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm interested in how all this juice is kept in. What about a ceramic cooker is so different there?J
Looks like the ability to sear and then maintain a constant temperature is easy to do with the ceramic grill.

Joe,Hot air carries moisture away from the food as it travels through the cooker. The egg, being so well insulated by the ceramic surrounding the cook, requires much less heat(Note that this is heat not temp. This applys weather you are cooking at 225 or 400 degrees) to maintain cooking temperature. Less required heat means less airflow through the egg, thus less moisture carried away from the meal. The egg is more forgiving then other cookers. I have over cooked chicken on the egg and it still comes out moist, that is because of the above reason.

For example the Weber Bullet requires a water pan to keep the food moist, the egg does not. The Weber Bullet is cheaper but if you plan to cook year round you cannot cook with a metal grill as well as a ceramic grill because they loose too much heat. Plus the BGE is guarenteed for life. It will be the last grill you purchase.

A few posts before someone mentioned that BGE owners have alot invested in there grill and that is why we are so finatical about them. It is true that they are the most expensive but that only goes so far. That just would not explain the following the egg has, just post a quesition on the biggreenegg.com and see all the responses you get regarding it.

Fire off any other questions you have either here or at biggreenegg.com.

Gotta love grilling threads. Wonder if the 'blue smoke/white smoke' threads are still out there.

I have been using the same grill (converted gas to charcoal) for years. I 'am one with my grill'.

Hearing about the advantages of the ceramic coating of the BGE I am wondering if there is some kind of coating I can 'paint' on my grill to give it more heat retension.

I live in Michigan and grill year 'round on my covered back porch.

It would be nice to speed up my longer cooking items such as beercan chicken and pulled pork in the winter.

Sorry for the hijack.

Gotta love grilling threads. Wonder if the 'blue smoke/white smoke' threads are still out there.I have been using the same grill (converted gas to charcoal) for years. I 'am one with my grill'.Hearing about the advantages of the ceramic coating of the BGE I am wondering if there is some kind of coating I can 'paint' on my grill to give it more heat retension.I live in Michigan and grill year 'round on my covered back porch.It would be nice to speed up my longer cooking items such as beercan chicken and pulled pork in the winter.Sorry for the hijack.
I havent heard of anything but I can tell you that I have cooked 65 pounds of Boston Butt at 250 degrees for 16 hours while it was 5 below outside in my big green egg and didnt have to add any charcoal during the entire cook. Thats how well the egg retains the heat.

Looks like the ability to sear and then maintain a constant temperature is easy to do with the ceramic grill.
Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty simple. I've eaten so many thick beef tenderloins from the egg and each one just melts in your mouth. I like them red, so a quick sear and a few minutes is all it takes.

Someone should change boots11234's title from "Footballguy" to "Green Egg Master."

Great posts, man. <_<

Gotta love grilling threads. Wonder if the 'blue smoke/white smoke' threads are still out there.I have been using the same grill (converted gas to charcoal) for years. I 'am one with my grill'.Hearing about the advantages of the ceramic coating of the BGE I am wondering if there is some kind of coating I can 'paint' on my grill to give it more heat retension.I live in Michigan and grill year 'round on my covered back porch.It would be nice to speed up my longer cooking items such as beercan chicken and pulled pork in the winter.Sorry for the hijack.
I havent heard of anything but I can tell you that I have cooked 65 pounds of Boston Butt at 250 degrees for 16 hours while it was 5 below outside in my big green egg and didnt have to add any charcoal during the entire cook. Thats how well the egg retains the heat.
What size Big green egg do you have that will fit 65 pounds (about 8 Boston Butts) on the grill?J

What size Big green egg do you have that will fit 65 pounds (about 8 Boston Butts) on the grill?J
He has got an XL. He already said that, I think.BTW, when I said BGE owners were invested in them, I meant emotionally.

He has got an XL. He already said that, I think.BTW, when I said BGE owners were invested in them, I meant emotionally.
Ok. How do you get 8 boston butts on the XL grill? Double stack with a 2nd grate?J

An XL and yes we are invested in them both emotionally and finacially. After cooking those butts I wrapped them in foil and towels, put them in a beer cooler for 4 hours packed with paper, the party I made them for was in the evening and I wanted them to still be hot when I pulled them(they still were). Best pulled pork I ever had :mellow: Great bark on them after 16 hours.

Ok. How do you get 8 boston butts on the XL grill? Double stack with a 2nd grate?J
For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though. like this --|--||--| -- If that picture makes any sense :mellow:

For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though. like this --|--||--| -- If that picture makes any sense :angry:
How wide is the grate?J

For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though. like this --|--||--| -- If that picture makes any sense :angry:
How wide is the grate?J
I believe 24 or 26 inch. Cant remember, 24 I believe. :own3d:

For the BGE owners out there: can they be used as tandoors, for Indian cuisine? They sure seem to be built like tandoors.

EDIT: Wiki article about tandoors, for reference. The first paragraph reads like a description of a primitive BGE ... using dried clay instead of ceramic. Seems like the physics of cooking in both would be very similar.

Gotta love grilling threads. Wonder if the 'blue smoke/white smoke' threads are still out there.

I have been using the same grill (converted gas to charcoal) for years. I 'am one with my grill'.

Hearing about the advantages of the ceramic coating of the BGE I am wondering if there is some kind of coating I can 'paint' on my grill to give it more heat retension.

It would be nice to speed up my longer cooking items such as beercan chicken and pulled pork in the winter.

Sorry for the hijack.
For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though. like this

--

|--|

|--|

--

If that picture makes any sense :goodposting:
How wide is the grate?J
I believe 24 or 26 inch. Cant remember, 24 I believe. :rolleyes:
I think it's 24.I'm just trying to understand what you did here.

An 8# boston butt is going to be about 10" long and 5 or 6" wide. I just don't see how they're going on a 24" grill.

You didn't turn them on the their side where the fat cap was vertical did you?

Here's a pic where they went double decker and squeezed 4 boston butts onto a smaller green egg putting them WAY closer together and closer to the lid than I'd ever want to. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/showphot.htm?30pounds.jpg That's just 4 butts and they're tight :lmao:

I ask because I get a lot more interested if you can cook this volume of food.

1 normal turkey just barely goes on a 22" diameter Weber grill. It won't go on the large BGE unless you go with a smaller bird and no pan. I'm trying to justify spending $1,400 on a 24" grill. I've looked at these for a while and have been interested in them.

J

Hi Tat,

J

J
Joe - can you elaborate on this "Palm Steakhouse" method a little more? - sounds like it's worth a try. How long to sear and does it have to be on iron? How do you prep the steak? How long to rest before the oven? Any other details? What is the history of the Palm Steakhouse - I did a gOOgle but did not satisfy my curiousity. Thanks in advance - not intending to hijack here - just did not think we needed another BBQ thread.

Hi Tat,

J

J
Joe - can you elaborate on this "Palm Steakhouse" method a little more? - sounds like it's worth a try. How long to sear and does it have to be on iron? How do you prep the steak? How long to rest before the oven? Any other details? What is the history of the Palm Steakhouse - I did a gOOgle but did not satisfy my curiousity. Thanks in advance - not intending to hijack here - just did not think we needed another BBQ thread.
Cast iron skillet, sear 2 minutes each side, let rest for up to an hour, at least 30 minutes, then put in 450 degree oven for 6 minutes = medium rare to rare depending on thickness of steak

Hi Tat,

J

J
Hi Mr. Clean,It's pretty much as tat said.

First off, I"m a huge believer that the quality of the steak is a lot more important than the grill. A good steak should have minimal time on the grill anyways.

But for the palm method (and yes, it's from the Palm Steakhouse Book http://www.thepalm.com/product_detail.cfm?...;category_id=12 )

Is sear it on a really hot pan for a couple minutes per side. Then a LONG rest (30 - 60 minutes) then finish in the oven.

I have a flat cast iron square pan that is really more a flat griddle like you'd cook pancakes on. Works perfect.You don't want the sides high or the meat will steam instead of sear.

The way I do it is to fill a charcoal chimney up and light. When the chimney is red hot, I set the pan right on top of the chimney (this is an Alton Brown thing). I don't know how hot that is but it's HOT.

I brush one side with olive oil, add cracked pepper, and kosher salt. Then set seasoned side down.

Set 2 minutes.

Season the top side and then flip.

Then let the pan sit.

Then finish in the oven as tat said.

I can't imagine a steak being much better. If you start with a quality steak, it's as good as what you'll get in Morton's or the Palm.

J

Hi Tat,

J

J

First off, I"m a huge believer that the quality of the steak is a lot more important than the grill. A good steak should have minimal time on the grill anyways.

But for the palm method (and yes, it's from the Palm Steakhouse Book http://www.thepalm.com/product_detail.cfm?...;category_id=12 )

Is sear it on a really hot pan for a couple minutes per side. Then a LONG rest (30 - 60 minutes) then finish in the oven.

I have a flat cast iron square pan that is really more a flat griddle like you'd cook pancakes on. Works perfect.You don't want the sides high or the meat will steam instead of sear.

The way I do it is to fill a charcoal chimney up and light. When the chimney is red hot, I set the pan right on top of the chimney (this is an Alton Brown thing). I don't know how hot that is but it's HOT.

I brush one side with olive oil, add cracked pepper, and kosher salt. Then set seasoned side down.

Set 2 minutes.

Then let the pan sit.

I can't imagine a steak being much better. If you start with a quality steak, it's as good as what you'll get in Morton's or the Palm.

J
I'll add, the real reason I do this style with the charcoal chimney outside is that if you do it on the stove, it smokes A LOT. You'll need a really good exhaust fan or you'll set the smoke alarms off. Trust me... :thumbup: J

Sorry for the hijack.
For in the middle and two on each side. No double rack. It was tight though. like this

--

|--|

|--|

--

If that picture makes any sense :shrug:
How wide is the grate?J
I believe 24 or 26 inch. Cant remember, 24 I believe. :lmao:

An 8# boston butt is going to be about 10" long and 5 or 6" wide. I just don't see how they're going on a 24" grill.

Here's a pic where they went double decker and squeezed 4 boston butts onto a smaller green egg putting them WAY closer together and closer to the lid than I'd ever want to. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/showphot.htm?30pounds.jpg That's just 4 butts and they're tight ;)

1 normal turkey just barely goes on a 22" diameter Weber grill. It won't go on the large BGE unless you go with a smaller bird and no pan. I'm trying to justify spending $1,400 on a 24" grill. I've looked at these for a while and have been interested in them.

J
Here is a picture of over 30 pounds on the XL wessb.com, as you can see there is room for two more on each side of the main log. And thats what I did. Im not saying it wasnt a tight fit, because it was. If I remember corectly the outer four were done before the inner for too. As far as 1400 bucks, thats way too much. I got mine at my local dealer for 960 I believe. There was a website that also had them similiarly priced, plus they shipped them for free. I dont know the link off the top of my head but if you like I can look for it.

For the BGE owners out there: can they be used as tandoors, for Indian cuisine? They sure seem to be built like tandoors.

EDIT: Wiki article about tandoors, for reference. The first paragraph reads like a description of a primitive BGE ... using dried clay instead of ceramic. Seems like the physics of cooking in both would be very similar.
Looks similiar except Im not sure if the egg is deep enough to shove the chickens way down there plus fit the required amout of lump to get to high temps. Plus dont know how those sticks would fit in it. Thats if you are cooking chicken.I would post that question on biggreenegg.com Im sure you would get a better response.

Hi Tat,

J

J

Set 2 minutes.

Then let the pan sit.

J
Quality of meat is important but I disagree about the grill. For a great sear you need high temps. Most gassers top out at about 500 degrees or so. my temp gage on the egg is 900 I believe and I have buried that when searing steaks. I t-rex my steaks. this consists of buying a 1 3/4 plus inch steak. Season with dizzy pig rub and get the grill up to 1000 degrees or so. I then throw them on the grill of about 60-90 seconds a side. Some people dont use a grill and just throw them directly on the coals. I wear welding gloves doing this as the grill is SUPER hot.I then rest the steaks for 20 minutes or so while bringing the temp of the grill down to 400 degrees. I then finish the meat off, about 2 minutes per side in a closed grill. Best steak ever.

Hi Tat,

J

J

Set 2 minutes.

Then let the pan sit.

J
Quality of meat is important but I disagree about the grill. For a great sear you need high temps. Most gassers top out at about 500 degrees or so. my temp gage on the egg is 900 I believe and I have buried that when searing steaks. I t-rex my steaks. this consists of buying a 1 3/4 plus inch steak. Season with dizzy pig rub and get the grill up to 1000 degrees or so. I then throw them on the grill of about 60-90 seconds a side. Some people dont use a grill and just throw them directly on the coals. I wear welding gloves doing this as the grill is SUPER hot.I then rest the steaks for 20 minutes or so while bringing the temp of the grill down to 400 degrees. I then finish the meat off, about 2 minutes per side in a closed grill. Best steak ever.
Thanks for the info and tips guys - I have a commercial grade grill that will get up to 500 degress without issue - if I heat a flat iron skillet directly on the grates do you think it will effectively sear the meat or do you need flames as well? I pretty much prep the meat as stated above (except the sea salt - good idea btw). I typically heat the grill up as hot as it will go and then sear the steaks for 60-90 secs per side and then pull them off and let the grill cool to 325 or so - then toss them back on for about 5 minutes per side (I like them medium). Never had a complaint, but just looking to perfect and try something new. I will have to go get me an iron skillet.What about the meat purchase itself? I assume same day is best and let it sit to close to room temp before grilling? Do you find grocery stores to have decent quality or is an independent butcher a must? I have not found a real meat market around here - we have Safeway, Albertsons, QFC, Fred Myer for the major chains. Any suggestions?

Hi Tat,

J

J

Set 2 minutes.

Then let the pan sit.

J
Thanks for the info and tips guys - I have a commercial grade grill that will get up to 500 degress without issue - if I heat a flat iron skillet directly on the grates do you think it will effectively sear the meat or do you need flames as well? I pretty much prep the meat as stated above (except the sea salt - good idea btw). I typically heat the grill up as hot as it will go and then sear the steaks for 60-90 secs per side and then pull them off and let the grill cool to 325 or so - then toss them back on for about 5 minutes per side (I like them medium). Never had a complaint, but just looking to perfect and try something new. I will have to go get me an iron skillet.What about the meat purchase itself? I assume same day is best and let it sit to close to room temp before grilling? Do you find grocery stores to have decent quality or is an independent butcher a must? I have not found a real meat market around here - we have Safeway, Albertsons, QFC, Fred Myer for the major chains. Any suggestions?
I have had good luck, believe it or not, with Sams club and Costco meats. Atleast their pork and beef brisket. A friend has tried the steaks and liked them but I have not tried steaks there.

Sorry for the hijack.

--

|--|

|--|

--

If that picture makes any sense :thumbup:
How wide is the grate?J
I believe 24 or 26 inch. Cant remember, 24 I believe. :lmao:

Here's a pic where they went double decker and squeezed 4 boston butts onto a smaller green egg putting them WAY closer together and closer to the lid than I'd ever want to. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/showphot.htm?30pounds.jpg That's just 4 butts and they're tight ;)

J
Here is a picture of over 30 pounds on the XL wessb.com, as you can see there is room for two more on each side of the main log. And thats what I did. Im not saying it wasnt a tight fit, because it was. If I remember corectly the outer four were done before the inner for too. As far as 1400 bucks, thats way too much. I got mine at my local dealer for 960 I believe. There was a website that also had them similiarly priced, plus they shipped them for free. I dont know the link off the top of my head but if you like I can look for it.
Thanks boots, if you can find the link where the XL is 960 with free freight, that would be cool. Thanks.J

Just got the egg home from the In-Laws.

It came with a DVD...... Looks like I will be watching it tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread