What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Thanks

ETA: Cut the circle for the egg last night in the table and then put a first coat of stain on it.

My circle is a little off. I lost the mark for a split second but by that time, it was too late. About 1/4 inch in some spots. Nothing that will ruin it though.

Ill try to upload a pic when Im done and the egg is in its home

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, About a 2 inch section of gasket has fused together on me. I'm trying to get BGE to pick up the tab. This seems to be a very common problem with some eggs completely fusing all 360 degrees. I think I'm still ok to cook on it for now. I don't think the gasket is covered under warranty. Seems the Nomex gasket is the choice most people go with.

Well, About a 2 inch section of gasket has fused together on me. I'm trying to get BGE to pick up the tab. This seems to be a very common problem with some eggs completely fusing all 360 degrees. I think I'm still ok to cook on it for now. I don't think the gasket is covered under warranty. Seems the Nomex gasket is the choice most people go with.
It may have changed but in the past people could just call and they would ship you one no questions asked. I know it worked that way with me. And yes, the nomex version is the better one to use. With such an obvious failure point being so widely reported for so many years it appears to be a design flaw. I don't know why this has not been redesigned over the years.

ThanksETA: Cut the circle for the egg last night in the table and then put a first coat of stain on it. My circle is a little off. I lost the mark for a split second but by that time, it was too late. About 1/4 inch in some spots. Nothing that will ruin it though.
Cutting the circle is the one item that I am most afraid to try (I am not handy at all). What tool did you use?And could you link the plans?

'NewlyRetired said:
Thanks

ETA: Cut the circle for the egg last night in the table and then put a first coat of stain on it.

My circle is a little off. I lost the mark for a split second but by that time, it was too late. About 1/4 inch in some spots. Nothing that will ruin it though.
Cutting the circle is the one item that I am most afraid to try (I am not handy at all). What tool did you use?And could you link the plans?
Im sure you dont have the packing from the egg still. But since I just bought it, I did. It came with a 22 inch circle holding the lid in place in the box. I cut a half inch around the circle and then taped it to the table where I wanted to cut. Traced the circle and was set.You can do something similar by taking a rope or wire and attaching it to a screw or nail. Find your center point and attatch the other side of the wire/rope to a pencil.

These are the plans I used

I did tweak it by using 4X4s for the legs though. Im thinking about adding another 2X4 under the lower section for added support as well. One more thing to note. I bought a 2 inch paver block to put the egg on. Adjust your dimensions on the lower table 1.5-2 inches to compensate for that.

'NewlyRetired said:
Thanks

Im sure you dont have the packing from the egg still. But since I just bought it, I did. It came with a 22 inch circle holding the lid in place in the box. I cut a half inch around the circle and then taped it to the table where I wanted to cut. Traced the circle and was set.You can do something similar by taking a rope or wire and attaching it to a screw or nail. Find your center point and attatch the other side of the wire/rope to a pencil.

These are the plans I used

I did tweak it by using 4X4s for the legs though. Im thinking about adding another 2X4 under the lower section for added support as well. One more thing to note. I bought a 2 inch paver block to put the egg on. Adjust your dimensions on the lower table 1.5-2 inches to compensate for that.
Thanks! I would be comfortable drawing the circle, but not cutting it. What tool did you use to cut the circle?

The plans seem to show a space on the bottom between the planks and no space on top between the planks. Am I looking at that correctly?

I used a jigsaw to cut the circle. Worked great.

Not sure I see what you are talking about with the spaces. PM me if you have any questions. It's been pouring here the last three days so I'll snap a pic tonight w/o the egg in it for you

I used a jigsaw to cut the circle. Worked great. Not sure I see what you are talking about with the spaces. PM me if you have any questions. It's been pouring here the last three days so I'll snap a pic tonight w/o the egg in it for you
the picture will be great thanks!About the space I meant like this picture. No spaces on the top shelf but spaces between the boards on the second shelfhttp://rockymountainstove.com/images/products/detail/productstablelong540.jpg

That is just personal preference. I don't believe there is any structural advantage to spaces vs no spaces but I am no expert.

I'll send the picture tonight.

What do you guys do to add chunks in after you have something cooking? There must be some easy way to do this I'm missing

What do you guys do to add chunks in after you have something cooking? There must be some easy way to do this I'm missing
I never have done this. Typically the vast vast majority of smoke flavor is absorbed by meat early in a cook.However if you really intend to have smoke throughout a long cook one trick is to disperse the chunks at different levels in your coal. They will burn at different times.

What do you guys do to get an even fire. I grilled some boneless, skinless chicken breast yesterday and didnt have even heat distribution across the whole grid.

Also, since I am new to this, are you are supposed to just leave the wire from the thermometer in the grill? How do the wires not burn

Anyone have a thermometer that they like. Lots of different reviews out there. Want to go with one I know works

What do you guys do to get an even fire. I grilled some boneless, skinless chicken breast yesterday and didnt have even heat distribution across the whole grid.Also, since I am new to this, are you are supposed to just leave the wire from the thermometer in the grill? How do the wires not burnAnyone have a thermometer that they like. Lots of different reviews out there. Want to go with one I know works
Ordered the Maverick 732 from Amazon. :thumbup: Can't wait to get it. Tried my first pulled pork on Monday. Came out great. Also grilled a big sirloin on Sunday. Lovin' the Egg!

What do you guys do to get an even fire. I grilled some boneless, skinless chicken breast yesterday and didnt have even heat distribution across the whole grid.Also, since I am new to this, are you are supposed to just leave the wire from the thermometer in the grill? How do the wires not burnAnyone have a thermometer that they like. Lots of different reviews out there. Want to go with one I know works
Ordered the Maverick 732 from Amazon. :thumbup: Can't wait to get it. Tried my first pulled pork on Monday. Came out great. Also grilled a big sirloin on Sunday. Lovin' the Egg!
Ill have to hit you back up after you have used it a couple of times

1) This takes some practice, and some patience. Assuming you are using an electric starter, you are most likely going to see after ten minutes that the main part of the fire is directly where you placed the starter in the coal. Before you close the dome to let it come up to temperature, move some of the hot coals around a bit to spread the heat and allowed for multiple areas to light during the come up to temperature process. The longer you wait during this time period, the more even the heat should be. But note that on any grill no matter what type, there are hot spots and cool spots on your grill. Hold your hand a few inches above the grill in different spots to get a feel for what area's have what temperature and cook accordingly.2) For long cooks, you can leave the wires in with no problems if you want for things like brisket or pork shoulder. The wires are heat resistant and won't degrade over hours of cooking at ~250.3)I like my wireless Maverick. It is old now so I won't bother looking up the model number, but the wireless feature allows you to monitor temperature of both dome and meat simultaneously from anywhere in the house.

What do you guys do to get an even fire. I grilled some boneless, skinless chicken breast yesterday and didnt have even heat distribution across the whole grid.

Also, since I am new to this, are you are supposed to just leave the wire from the thermometer in the grill? How do the wires not burn

Anyone have a thermometer that they like. Lots of different reviews out there. Want to go with one I know works
1) This takes some practice, and some patience. Assuming you are using an electric starter, you are most likely going to see after ten minutes that the main part of the fire is directly where you placed the starter in the coal. Before you close the dome to let it come up to temperature, move some of the hot coals around a bit to spread the heat and allowed for multiple areas to light during the come up to temperature process. The longer you wait during this time period, the more even the heat should be. But note that on any grill no matter what type, there are hot spots and cool spots on your grill. Hold your hand a few inches above the grill in different spots to get a feel for what area's have what temperature and cook accordingly.

2) For long cooks, you can leave the wires in with no problems if you want for things like brisket or pork shoulder. The wires are heat resistant and won't degrade over hours of cooking at ~250.

3)I like my wireless Maverick. It is old now so I won't bother looking up the model number, but the wireless feature allows you to monitor temperature of both dome and meat simultaneously from anywhere in the house.
That's what sealed the deal for me. Both temps and wireless!

Last one, and thanks for all the answers

Where do you guys buy your pork butt and brisket. Since I have never made one, I have never looked in my supermarkets to see if they carry them. Are they better at a butcher shop (not even sure there is one of those by me anyway)

I plan on doing brisket and butt by the end of the summer. :scared:

I just looked this up and this is the exact one I was a bit nervous about. There seems to be so many different reviews from best thing ever to it worked once and is now garbage

Where do you guys buy your pork butt and brisket. Since I have never made one, I have never looked in my supermarkets to see if they carry them. Are they better at a butcher shop (not even sure there is one of those by me anyway)

We have a great butcher within walking distance. Iavarone Bros.

1 hour from work according to google maps. Maybe if its worth it, Ill make the trip

1 hour from work according to google maps. Maybe if its worth it, Ill make the trip
You're north of the city, right?They have a few locations on LI. Don't know if it's worth an hour drive. There's gotta be something closer.

Ill have to hit you back up after you have used it a couple of times
I've had this for over a year and it works great.

I liked my first run with the IGrill. Ran it about 18 hours straight and got a pdf for the effort showing the temp history. It will help me learn a few things in the future.

Did some pizza tonight. First pie was a huge success. Second pie was a disaster.

Good learning experience on what not to do

Also singed my eyebrows on a peek in.

Anyone else lose degrees hardcore when they put the daisy wheel on. I didn't even use it after it dropped me 100 degrees.

I liked my first run with the IGrill. Ran it about 18 hours straight and got a pdf for the effort showing the temp history. It will help me learn a few things in the future.
Let me know if you use it again. The big thing is that it might not work after first shot

Let me know if you use it again. The big thing is that it might not work after first shot
Well I used it the night before just screwing around so it was really the second use. I'll toss a probe in the oven in a bit.I think most people are running into issues when they don't clear the logs.

Did some pizza tonight. First pie was a huge success. Second pie was a disaster.

Anyone else lose degrees hardcore when they put the daisy wheel on. I didn't even use it after it dropped me 100 degrees.
What did you learn?I'm having trouble getting the pizza to the stone. Not easy. Always sticks to the peel.

What did you learn?I'm having trouble getting the pizza to the stone. Not easy. Always sticks to the peel.
Polenta ftw.

As you are assembling the pizza on your peel, shake the peel every 30 seconds or so to keep the dough loose. If you still have a problem assemble on parchment paper and put the paper and dough right on stone.

Well that was a big issue for me. I had put a lot of flour down and planned on moving the pie from counter to peel and then to stone. The move from counter to peel didnt go so swell. In fact, I plan on buying one of those super peels listed in here a few pages back. I also learned that on the second pie, it is probably a good idea to toss it in for 3-4 minutes and then twirl it. I know that goes against the opening the egg policy, but it crusts up a lot quicker than the first one so I think its acceptable. That way you dont get burning in one spot too long. I think the super peel will alleviate many of the issues that I ran into. Also little things like leaving the daisy wheel off for the cook and over cheesing and stuff like that.

As you are assembling the pizza on your peel, shake the peel every 30 seconds or so to keep the dough loose. If you still have a problem assemble on parchment paper and put the paper and dough right on stone.
Interesting

Interesting
Yea, I agree. Have to look into that. And the Polenta mentioned as well.*really* like making Pizzas in the egg, and have made a few decent ones, but want to get this dough-sticking thing solved.

OK, haven't read the whole thread but I have a few questions. Our local pool shop is having a rib cooking competition in a couple of weeks. It is a BGE competition, you can either bring your own, or they will have Large BGE's to use. I don't have a BGE, and have never coooked on one, so this leads to the questions. What are the odds that I could get ribs to turn out right having never cooked on a BGE? I don't expect this to be a very big competition being that it is held at a pool shop parking lot. I'm about to shoot them an email with a few questions. Anything I need to know? I'm not going to buy any extras for this cook, so what do I need to make sure they have for the cook? Or, am I just wasting my time because a first cook on a BGE is a crap shoot? The only reason I'm doing this is it is relatively cheap ($40 to enter), and I'm thinking I'll have the best sauce there with my version of Mr. Ham's sauce.

OK, haven't read the whole thread but I have a few questions. Our local pool shop is having a rib cooking competition in a couple of weeks. It is a BGE competition, you can either bring your own, or they will have Large BGE's to use. I don't have a BGE, and have never coooked on one, so this leads to the questions. What are the odds that I could get ribs to turn out right having never cooked on a BGE? I don't expect this to be a very big competition being that it is held at a pool shop parking lot. I'm about to shoot them an email with a few questions. Anything I need to know? I'm not going to buy any extras for this cook, so what do I need to make sure they have for the cook? Or, am I just wasting my time because a first cook on a BGE is a crap shoot? The only reason I'm doing this is it is relatively cheap ($40 to enter), and I'm thinking I'll have the best sauce there with my version of Mr. Ham's sauce.
So despite my troubles not getting everything yesterday, I had my first smoke today. Just to set this up a bit, my wife bought me the egg for fathers day because I have always enjoyed BBQ but have never been able to successfully do it. I tried a few times using different methods but came up short every time.

So, today was my nieces birthday party and my wife told my SIL that I would smoke some ribs for the party. Went to BJs and picked up some Spare Ribs to see if I can succeed with the egg or flop again.

I prepared the ribs with some 3 little pigs rub last night and sealed it up in a plastic bag. Got the egg to 225 and threw in some hickory and apple wood. Went with the 3-2-1 method since I enjoy ribs falling off the bone. Im not judging any contests and no one who was eating was anyway so it didnt matter much.

I was very happy with what I was able to do for my first successful effort. I thought the egg worked well but it wasnt as easy to hold the temperature as they make it seem. It wasnt exactly set it and forget it, but thats part of BBQ so I cant complain much.

I loved the process and cant wait to use it again. I need to build my table ASAP. I can see myself getting a lot of use out of this thing. Only thing I am bummed about it forgetting to leave a slab with no sauce. I intended on it and simply overlooked it

Getting the egg going for the first time

Ribs with Rub

Smoking

Ribs after 3 hours at 225

Sauce time

First Cut

Done

Are they starting this cold? Here's what I would do. I've messed around with the ribs a bit. -Prep them as normal. I use a dusting with a mix of white/brown sugar plus paprika and other spices. Make sure you get the membrane off and let sit overnight-When you get there you want to fill the firebox to within 1 inch of the lip (about 4 pounds). Get 3 firestarter cubes and arrange them in a triangle pattern about 2 inches from the edge of the firebox. Light them all-Close the lid and take the cover off the lid and let the bottom vent stand wide open for 10 minutes. Stir the coals. Let sit another 5 minutes.-Now go ask for your platesetter. At this point it is now time to put your large chunks of hickory or applewood in (stir the hot coals with the ash tool first). Put this thing in where the legs are standing pointing to the top of the egg. Put your drip pan on top of the platesetter and put your grill grate on now.-Let the egg sit wide open another 10 minutes. -Check the dome temp. Once it crosses 250 put your dome vent on and shut the bottom vent to 50%. Leave the dome vent closed but air holes wide open for now.-Now place the ribs on the grate and set your bottom vent to about a 3/8" opening and the air vent on top to about a 1/16" opening in the round louver (they look like tear drops). -Adjust the bottom vent, not the top for the first 15-30 minutes to smooth out the temp to about 225.-Let sit for 3-4 hours-Check ribs as you normally would-Pull them and then let sit in foil while you--Remove grate--Remove platesetter (use hot gloves)--Put grate back on--Open your vents 100% wide open again--Wait 15 minutes till dome is at 400Sauce your ribsPlace them sauce side down on grate until seared (about 1 minute at 400dF)Serve

I think I have been using the plate setter wrong.

I always put it so the feet are down. Now I have to try it the other way

Other pro tips. Make sure the bottom vent is pointed as much as possible away from the prevailing wind. Don't open it, but you can "peek" in through the top if you just can't help yourself. Bring a flashlight.

Knocked out 4 spatchcocked chickens on the XLBGE yesterday. 4 fit great, 5 would be pushing it. Kept it around 250 for 2.5-3 hours. Opened up the vents and flipped them over for a couple of minutes to really crisp up the skin although it had a decent amount of skin crispiness before that actually.

Then I gave all 4 of them over to my brother so his wife can make smoked bacon chicken salad for sandwiches this weekend. It's their daughter's first b-day party. I'm also going to smoke a butt for total sandwichapalooza.

I think I have been using the plate setter wrong. I always put it so the feet are down. Now I have to try it the other way
when cooking ribs, brisket, portk shoulder etc, the plate setter should be feet up and then you place the grid on top of it. It should look like thishttp://www.gas-grill-review.com/image-files/bubba-keg-with-plate-setter.jpgI line the plate setter with foil to make clean up a snap and keeps the plate setter looking nice.

Users who are viewing this thread