What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

OK, haven't read the whole thread but I have a few questions. Our local pool shop is having a rib cooking competition in a couple of weeks. It is a BGE competition, you can either bring your own, or they will have Large BGE's to use. I don't have a BGE, and have never coooked on one, so this leads to the questions. What are the odds that I could get ribs to turn out right having never cooked on a BGE? I don't expect this to be a very big competition being that it is held at a pool shop parking lot. I'm about to shoot them an email with a few questions. Anything I need to know? I'm not going to buy any extras for this cook, so what do I need to make sure they have for the cook? Or, am I just wasting my time because a first cook on a BGE is a crap shoot? The only reason I'm doing this is it is relatively cheap ($40 to enter), and I'm thinking I'll have the best sauce there with my version of Mr. Ham's sauce.
Are they starting this cold? Here's what I would do. I've messed around with the ribs a bit. -Prep them as normal. I use a dusting with a mix of white/brown sugar plus paprika and other spices. Make sure you get the membrane off and let sit overnight-When you get there you want to fill the firebox to within 1 inch of the lip (about 4 pounds). Get 3 firestarter cubes and arrange them in a triangle pattern about 2 inches from the edge of the firebox. Light them all-Close the lid and take the cover off the lid and let the bottom vent stand wide open for 10 minutes. Stir the coals. Let sit another 5 minutes.-Now go ask for your platesetter. At this point it is now time to put your large chunks of hickory or applewood in (stir the hot coals with the ash tool first). Put this thing in where the legs are standing pointing to the top of the egg. Put your drip pan on top of the platesetter and put your grill grate on now.-Let the egg sit wide open another 10 minutes. -Check the dome temp. Once it crosses 250 put your dome vent on and shut the bottom vent to 50%. Leave the dome vent closed but air holes wide open for now.-Now place the ribs on the grate and set your bottom vent to about a 3/8" opening and the air vent on top to about a 1/16" opening in the round louver (they look like tear drops). -Adjust the bottom vent, not the top for the first 15-30 minutes to smooth out the temp to about 225.-Let sit for 3-4 hours-Check ribs as you normally would-Pull them and then let sit in foil while you--Remove grate--Remove platesetter (use hot gloves)--Put grate back on--Open your vents 100% wide open again--Wait 15 minutes till dome is at 400Sauce your ribsPlace them sauce side down on grate until seared (about 1 minute at 400dF)Serve
Thanks, GB. :thumbup:I believe I don't get the rack until the morning of the cook, so I won't be able to prep the night before.One of my questions is if the grills will be cold when we get there, or are they starting them up. I assume they are going to be cold.For a 4+ hour cook, I assume I won't have to bother with adding more coals once I have it started?Thanks for the tips on the vents. That's one of my biggest question marks, as I've got an offset at home, so I'm going in with zero knowledge of how the tweaking on a BGE works.This seems fairly simple, so maybe I'll give it a shot.Thanks again.

My replacement gasket kit came from BGE. Not sure when I'll have a chance to get it on. Getting it on the bottom should be cake. I may try to see how it seats with just a bottom gasket.

Knocked out 4 spatchcocked chickens on the XLBGE yesterday. 4 fit great, 5 would be pushing it. Kept it around 250 for 2.5-3 hours. Opened up the vents and flipped them over for a couple of minutes to really crisp up the skin although it had a decent amount of skin crispiness before that actually.
Spatchcock chicken was the first thing I ever cooked on a BGE and still remains amongst my favorite. It always comes out great.One thing I never did though was flip it, I always left it skin side up when cooking although I cook it at a different temp than you do. Typically 1 hour at 350 usually produces a nice crisp to the skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
My replacement gasket kit came from BGE. Not sure when I'll have a chance to get it on. Getting it on the bottom should be cake. I may try to see how it seats with just a bottom gasket.
let me us know about this. I was wondering the same thing if you could get away with just a single gasket.

OK, haven't read the whole thread but I have a few questions. Our local pool shop is having a rib cooking competition in a couple of weeks. It is a BGE competition, you can either bring your own, or they will have Large BGE's to use. I don't have a BGE, and have never coooked on one, so this leads to the questions. What are the odds that I could get ribs to turn out right having never cooked on a BGE? I don't expect this to be a very big competition being that it is held at a pool shop parking lot. I'm about to shoot them an email with a few questions. Anything I need to know? I'm not going to buy any extras for this cook, so what do I need to make sure they have for the cook? Or, am I just wasting my time because a first cook on a BGE is a crap shoot? The only reason I'm doing this is it is relatively cheap ($40 to enter), and I'm thinking I'll have the best sauce there with my version of Mr. Ham's sauce.
Are they starting this cold? Here's what I would do. I've messed around with the ribs a bit. -Prep them as normal. I use a dusting with a mix of white/brown sugar plus paprika and other spices. Make sure you get the membrane off and let sit overnight-When you get there you want to fill the firebox to within 1 inch of the lip (about 4 pounds). Get 3 firestarter cubes and arrange them in a triangle pattern about 2 inches from the edge of the firebox. Light them all-Close the lid and take the cover off the lid and let the bottom vent stand wide open for 10 minutes. Stir the coals. Let sit another 5 minutes.-Now go ask for your platesetter. At this point it is now time to put your large chunks of hickory or applewood in (stir the hot coals with the ash tool first). Put this thing in where the legs are standing pointing to the top of the egg. Put your drip pan on top of the platesetter and put your grill grate on now.-Let the egg sit wide open another 10 minutes. -Check the dome temp. Once it crosses 250 put your dome vent on and shut the bottom vent to 50%. Leave the dome vent closed but air holes wide open for now.-Now place the ribs on the grate and set your bottom vent to about a 3/8" opening and the air vent on top to about a 1/16" opening in the round louver (they look like tear drops). -Adjust the bottom vent, not the top for the first 15-30 minutes to smooth out the temp to about 225.-Let sit for 3-4 hours-Check ribs as you normally would-Pull them and then let sit in foil while you--Remove grate--Remove platesetter (use hot gloves)--Put grate back on--Open your vents 100% wide open again--Wait 15 minutes till dome is at 400Sauce your ribsPlace them sauce side down on grate until seared (about 1 minute at 400dF)Serve
Thanks, GB. :thumbup:I believe I don't get the rack until the morning of the cook, so I won't be able to prep the night before.One of my questions is if the grills will be cold when we get there, or are they starting them up. I assume they are going to be cold.For a 4+ hour cook, I assume I won't have to bother with adding more coals once I have it started?Thanks for the tips on the vents. That's one of my biggest question marks, as I've got an offset at home, so I'm going in with zero knowledge of how the tweaking on a BGE works.
you will not have to add coal. At 250, a full load of coal will typically run over 20+ hours depending on outside temps.The vents can be a bit tricky since you can play with both the top and bottom but if you watch closely, you can continue to make adjustments until it settles at the temp you want. Once you get it into your smoking range of 225ish, you won't have to make many if any adjustments over the 4 hour period.One thing I would add is that, at least for my taste, 4 hours would be perfect for baby back ribs but too short for a full rack of ribs(st louis style etc). I typically cook a full size rack of ribs 6 hours using the 3-2-1 method (3 hours open, 2 hours in foil with honey, 1 hour open and adding sauce).

The flyer says St. Louis style, and the timing is tight but doable:

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

Turn in ribs between 2 and 3 pm.

If I take 7-8 to get the grill to the right temp, then get the ribs at 8. Prep the ribs with rub and get the membrane off, then to the grill right away. This wouldn't take long, so if I do that in 20 minutes, 6 hours would put me right in the middle of the turn in time.

For the 2 hours in foil with honey, I assume you just put a light coating on, wrap in foil and leave them? You're not re-adding honey right? I've never added honey to my foiled ribs.

The flyer says St. Louis style, and the timing is tight but doable:Set up 7-8 amPick up ribs at 8 amTurn in ribs between 2 and 3 pm.If I take 7-8 to get the grill to the right temp, then get the ribs at 8. Prep the ribs with rub and get the membrane off, then to the grill right away. This wouldn't take long, so if I do that in 20 minutes, 6 hours would put me right in the middle of the turn in time.For the 2 hours in foil with honey, I assume you just put a light coating on, wrap in foil and leave them? You're not re-adding honey right? I've never added honey to my foiled ribs.
I foiled mine with apple juice. Just a little bit to help steam the ribs. You also do not need to leave the ribs on for the entire last hour. I would say anywhere from 30-45 minutes puts you right on for cutting, plating and handing in if you let the ribs sit for 15 minutes when you take them off the grill

The flyer says St. Louis style, and the timing is tight but doable:Set up 7-8 amPick up ribs at 8 amTurn in ribs between 2 and 3 pm.If I take 7-8 to get the grill to the right temp, then get the ribs at 8. Prep the ribs with rub and get the membrane off, then to the grill right away. This wouldn't take long, so if I do that in 20 minutes, 6 hours would put me right in the middle of the turn in time.For the 2 hours in foil with honey, I assume you just put a light coating on, wrap in foil and leave them? You're not re-adding honey right? I've never added honey to my foiled ribs.
I foiled mine with apple juice. Just a little bit to help steam the ribs. You also do not need to leave the ribs on for the entire last hour. I would say anywhere from 30-45 minutes puts you right on for cutting, plating and handing in if you let the ribs sit for 15 minutes when you take them off the grill
For whatever reason, they want a full slab turned in in a provided box, so prep time will be minimal on the back end.Last question, and this isn't BGE specific, more competition related for anyone who has done that. The rules state one head cook, and no more than 3 assistant cooks. All you can do here is ribs, and you can't turn in any sides or garnish (other than sauce). How many people does it take to cook 3 racks of ribs? :confused: I've never needed a helping hand when doing ribs.

For whatever reason, they want a full slab turned in in a provided box, so prep time will be minimal on the back end.Last question, and this isn't BGE specific, more competition related for anyone who has done that. The rules state one head cook, and no more than 3 assistant cooks. All you can do here is ribs, and you can't turn in any sides or garnish (other than sauce). How many people does it take to cook 3 racks of ribs? :confused: I've never needed a helping hand when doing ribs.
I have never done competitions but maybe an extra person or two to help make sure your temps are where they need to be. I do it by myself (the 3 times I have done it)

Two snipers on the roof to protect your setup.

Where is it? I'll stand there and glare at everyone for you.

It's at the pool place in Roseville. Poolside?The rasberry jalapeno sounds awesome. I might be risking it if the judges don't risk spice.

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

If I take 7-8 to get the grill to the right temp, then get the ribs at 8. Prep the ribs with rub and get the membrane off, then to the grill right away. This wouldn't take long, so if I do that in 20 minutes, 6 hours would put me right in the middle of the turn in time.

For the 2 hours in foil with honey, I assume you just put a light coating on, wrap in foil and leave them? You're not re-adding honey right? I've never added honey to my foiled ribs.
It's at the pool place in Roseville. Poolside?The rasberry jalapeno sounds awesome. I might be risking it if the judges don't risk spice.
Oh, ok - I know that place. :nerd:

You can scout out the guy that might be judging here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139392/ribs-4-kids-charity-rib-cook-off-chefs-wanted

Edit: Looks like he only has 2 posts. :(

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

You can scout out the guy that might be judging here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139392/ribs-4-kids-charity-rib-cook-off-chefs-wanted

Yeah, two posts and all in that thread.OK, I didn't know they were going to be going to the internet to recruit legit BBQers. Now I have second thoughts. :unsure:

It is really for your own taste and what you are hoping to achieve. I use a fairly heavy coating but I don't add anything during the 2 hour period. Remember that you won't taste honey when done, you will taste sweet.

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

Yeah, two posts and all in that thread.OK, I didn't know they were going to be going to the internet to recruit legit BBQers. Now I have second thoughts. :unsure:
The fact they will sell the demo eggs should worry you the most. People kill for the chance to buy demo eggs.

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

The fact they will sell the demo eggs should worry you the most. People kill for the chance to buy demo eggs.
$260 off a $1000 grill will get that many people in? You don't have to cook to buy one, so they could just come in to buy the grill?

If I'm in town I'm definitely going to try and stop by. Not sure that I'd want to make a whole day of it though.

What do you get if you win?

Set up 7-8 am

Pick up ribs at 8 am

$260 off a $1000 grill will get that many people in? You don't have to cook to buy one, so they could just come in to buy the grill?
Usually you get 260 off, but you get all the accessories you would want with it for free as well.But yeah, you could just stroll up at end of the event and get one. They might let competitors have first shot though.

If I'm in town I'm definitely going to try and stop by. Not sure that I'd want to make a whole day of it though.What do you get if you win?
I'll let you know if I decide to do it for sure. If you can "accidentally" knock over some others' grill on your way in, it would be appreciated.I'm curious to see what the environment is like. However many people doing ribs on BGEs is like a set it and forget it deal. It's not exactly like an episode of "Chopped" or something, where it's a constant frenzy of preparation.Three prizes, "up to" $500 for 1st, $250 for 2nd, and $100 for third.

What is the best way to put the fire out?

I pulled the pizza I made at 5:30. The egg is still around 300. I feel like I waste a lot of lump.

Great burgers tonight. Actually left them on a little longer, they were a little well for my tastes, but still amazing. Even the wife commented how juicy they were even though they were well done. Next time will be even better!

'NewlyRetired said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
Knocked out 4 spatchcocked chickens on the XLBGE yesterday. 4 fit great, 5 would be pushing it. Kept it around 250 for 2.5-3 hours. Opened up the vents and flipped them over for a couple of minutes to really crisp up the skin although it had a decent amount of skin crispiness before that actually.
Spatchcock chicken was the first thing I ever cooked on a BGE and still remains amongst my favorite. It always comes out great.One thing I never did though was flip it, I always left it skin side up when cooking although I cook it at a different temp than you do. Typically 1 hour at 350 usually produces a nice crisp to the skin.
Planning on my first spatchcock on Sunday. :thumbup:

'NewlyRetired said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
Just to add a third opinion, I roast spatchcock'd chickens on medium-high heat and they're done in about 30 minutes. Following the Americas Test Kitchen method - skin side up (with a baking pan and some bricks on top to keep it flat) for about 15-20 min., then flip it to finish, about 15, until the thigh hits 165. Rest for 15 then carve and eat. All indirect using the plate setter.

What is the best way to put the fire out?I pulled the pizza I made at 5:30. The egg is still around 300. I feel like I waste a lot of lump.
I just shut it down when I'm done and hope it goes out before too much burns away. Its more a matter of getting used to putting the right amount in to begin with, but that takes some experience.

What is the best way to put the fire out?
There is only one way to do it. Close bottom damper tight and put on green cap. The green rain cap works much better than just closing the flywheel. This will starve Egg of oxygen and fire will go out. The Egg however will hold temp for a long time just due to the ceramic material. You are not wasting coal when it holds temp.

'NewlyRetired said:
'Notorious T.R.E. said:
Just to add a third opinion, I roast spatchcock'd chickens on medium-high heat and they're done in about 30 minutes. Following the Americas Test Kitchen method - skin side up (with a baking pan and some bricks on top to keep it flat) for about 15-20 min., then flip it to finish, about 15, until the thigh hits 165. Rest for 15 then carve and eat. All indirect using the plate setter.
I do my whole chickens indirect but have always done my spatchcock direct on a raised grill. I will have to try your technique some day.

What is the best way to put the fire out?I pulled the pizza I made at 5:30. The egg is still around 300. I feel like I waste a lot of lump.
Must be some kind of issue. I had the grill at 500 for the burgers and it's completely out within an hour. Gauge down to nothing.

Must be some kind of issue. I had the grill at 500 for the burgers and it's completely out within an hour. Gauge down to nothing.
??? Sure your guage is working right? Because I would think the ceramic could hold heat waaaay longer than that.If I get mine to 500, it's 3-4 hours before the guage is close to zero. From what I've read everywhere, that's pretty normal.

'Notorious T.R.E. said:
Knocked out 4 spatchcocked chickens on the XLBGE yesterday. 4 fit great, 5 would be pushing it. Kept it around 250 for 2.5-3 hours. Opened up the vents and flipped them over for a couple of minutes to really crisp up the skin although it had a decent amount of skin crispiness before that actually. Then I gave all 4 of them over to my brother so his wife can make smoked bacon chicken salad for sandwiches this weekend. It's their daughter's first b-day party. I'm also going to smoke a butt for total sandwichapalooza.
Hell #######' yeah. That sounds tasty.

Jamny, JWB and me (and Andy if he wants to make the trip) should all hang and have an egg fest IMO.

I have no problem having it at my place

??? Sure your guage is working right? Because I would think the ceramic could hold heat waaaay longer than that.If I get mine to 500, it's 3-4 hours before the guage is close to zero. From what I've read everywhere, that's pretty normal.
I agree. I have never heard of an Egg cooling off that fast.

Hmmm. So what could that be? I don't have a real thermometer yet but the gauge on the egg was at 500 for the cook and, after thinking through the exact time, was pinned to nothing after less than an hour and a half. Slightly warm to the touch, enough so that I put the cover on it because a heavy storm was coming in. I'll time it on my next cook and see what happens.

Hmmm. So what could that be? I don't have a real thermometer yet but the gauge on the egg was at 500 for the cook and, after thinking through the exact time, was pinned to nothing after less than an hour and a half. Slightly warm to the touch, enough so that I put the cover on it because a heavy storm was coming in. I'll time it on my next cook and see what happens.
not sure. I obviously believe that is what you are seeing but you can see others in this thread are not experiencing that so I am unsure.Report back after the next cook to see if it continues.

Jamny, JWB and me (and Andy if he wants to make the trip) should all hang and have an egg fest IMO. I have no problem having it at my place
Thanks! That is nice of you to offer. It is probably too far for me though.It does open up an interesting question though. Do you guys travel with your eggs? Mine has been on my deck since I got it and only roll it to another area of the deck when needed. I could never move it by myself to a car.How do you guys transport your eggs?

not sure. I obviously believe that is what you are seeing but you can see others in this thread are not experiencing that so I am unsure.Report back after the next cook to see if it continues.
I think the reason for it was that it was a very quick cook. I heated the grill to 500 and threw the burgers on in about 15 minutes. 3 minutes per side and shut it down. The dome itself probably never had a chance to really heat up.

I think the reason for it was that it was a very quick cook. I heated the grill to 500 and threw the burgers on in about 15 minutes. 3 minutes per side and shut it down. The dome itself probably never had a chance to really heat up.
Ok, that was probably a "flame-aided" 500. I've noticed that depending on how you start it / how many starters used, it can get very hot when it first starts. But it's not really the same as it hitting 500 degrees 30-45 min in. I'll bet if you make a pizza/etc, it takes a long time to cool.

Ok, that was probably a "flame-aided" 500. I've noticed that depending on how you start it / how many starters used, it can get very hot when it first starts. But it's not really the same as it hitting 500 degrees 30-45 min in. I'll bet if you make a pizza/etc, it takes a long time to cool.
I agree. That is probably what happened.

Which is a better option for spatchcock chicken?

Direct with no raised grid or indirect? I don't have anything to raise the grid right now and want to avoid flareups. Is that an issue without raising the grid?

Man, buying a new grill has been a harder decision than buying a new car. After being sold on the BGE over the WSM, then being tempted by the new Chargriller Kamado Acorn, after much :wall: I've finally decided on the BGE. I looked at the CKA over the weekend and although it looks fine (put together poorly by the store though) it's just not nearly close to the Egg. After putting them through a pros/cons list, the only con for the Egg that I can see is the price. We're not talking about thousands of dollars and I've always been someone who believes that you should always buy the best you can afford. So, one Large Big Green Egg please! :thumbup:
Anyone in here have any more info about the CKA (CharGriller Kamado Acorn)?I cut my smoking teeth on a Brinkman Smokin' Pit that I bought at a Lowe's Clearance Sale over 10 years ago (still own it, and it's now the 'traveling tailgater'...graduated to a BGE not long after, have loved it for years, and recently purchased a Kamodo Kamado (delivery in progress). More on that later.My fiancee's Mom's B-Day is coming up, and she wants to get her a smoker/grill for her new house. MIL is a rock-solid cook, and already has a fine Weber to work with, but everyone has come to appreciate this style of cooking over the last 4 years I've known the family. Cost-wise, KK is way out of line, and so, probably is the BGE. MIL would absolutely go bananas if she found out how much these things are. I'm not a fan of the Kamado Joe, for a # of reasons, mostly that the BGE is, IMO much better, and if you're shelling out that kind of money, you might as well either get an Egg or go all in on a KK...So, I was browsing around online and saw this CKA thingamajigger. It's sure right in her budget. I've grown to hate big box stores, and avoid them like the plague. Online reviews are fine and all, but we all like this community better.Anyone have one, know someone who does, actually seen one of these in action or eaten food prepared off it, etc? Experience/opinions greatly appreciated.

Man, buying a new grill has been a harder decision than buying a new car. After being sold on the BGE over the WSM, then being tempted by the new Chargriller Kamado Acorn, after much :wall: I've finally decided on the BGE. I looked at the CKA over the weekend and although it looks fine (put together poorly by the store though) it's just not nearly close to the Egg. After putting them through a pros/cons list, the only con for the Egg that I can see is the price. We're not talking about thousands of dollars and I've always been someone who believes that you should always buy the best you can afford. So, one Large Big Green Egg please! :thumbup:
Anyone in here have any more info about the CKA (CharGriller Kamado Acorn)?I cut my smoking teeth on a Brinkman Smokin' Pit that I bought at a Lowe's Clearance Sale over 10 years ago (still own it, and it's now the 'traveling tailgater'...graduated to a BGE not long after, have loved it for years, and recently purchased a Kamodo Kamado (delivery in progress). More on that later.My fiancee's Mom's B-Day is coming up, and she wants to get her a smoker/grill for her new house. MIL is a rock-solid cook, and already has a fine Weber to work with, but everyone has come to appreciate this style of cooking over the last 4 years I've known the family. Cost-wise, KK is way out of line, and so, probably is the BGE. MIL would absolutely go bananas if she found out how much these things are. I'm not a fan of the Kamado Joe, for a # of reasons, mostly that the BGE is, IMO much better, and if you're shelling out that kind of money, you might as well either get an Egg or go all in on a KK...So, I was browsing around online and saw this CKA thingamajigger. It's sure right in her budget. I've grown to hate big box stores, and avoid them like the plague. Online reviews are fine and all, but we all like this community better.Anyone have one, know someone who does, actually seen one of these in action or eaten food prepared off it, etc? Experience/opinions greatly appreciated.
A co-worker has it and loves it. He admits he'd rather have the BGE but price was a big consideration for him. He thinks it's great though.

Which is a better option for spatchcock chicken?Direct with no raised grid or indirect? I don't have anything to raise the grid right now and want to avoid flareups. Is that an issue without raising the grid?
I prefer to cook chicken on a raised grill if cooking direct. When the time comes that you want a raised grill, there is a very simple method if you just buy a second grid and then attach some bolts to it.Looks like thishttp://www.dreamglass.org/Egg/Grill_Setup/Grill_Setup4.jpgIf cooking direct, you just put this second grill right on top of where the normal one sits.

Which is a better option for spatchcock chicken?Direct with no raised grid or indirect? I don't have anything to raise the grid right now and want to avoid flareups. Is that an issue without raising the grid?
I prefer to cook chicken on a raised grill if cooking direct. When the time comes that you want a raised grill, there is a very simple method if you just buy a second grid and then attach some bolts to it.Looks like thishttp://www.dreamglass.org/Egg/Grill_Setup/Grill_Setup4.jpgIf cooking direct, you just put this second grill right on top of where the normal one sits.
so what should I do today with no raised grill? Probably going direct and see how it goes.

so what should I do today with no raised grill? Probably going direct and see how it goes.
1) try indirect2) if direct, use a smaller amount of coal than normal so that the fire is lower in the Egg.

Man, buying a new grill has been a harder decision than buying a new car.

After being sold on the BGE over the WSM, then being tempted by the new Chargriller Kamado Acorn, after much :wall: I've finally decided on the BGE. I looked at the CKA over the weekend and although it looks fine (put together poorly by the store though) it's just not nearly close to the Egg. After putting them through a pros/cons list, the only con for the Egg that I can see is the price. We're not talking about thousands of dollars and I've always been someone who believes that you should always buy the best you can afford.

So, one Large Big Green Egg please! :thumbup:
Anyone in here have any more info about the CKA (CharGriller Kamado Acorn)?I cut my smoking teeth on a Brinkman Smokin' Pit that I bought at a Lowe's Clearance Sale over 10 years ago (still own it, and it's now the 'traveling tailgater'...graduated to a BGE not long after, have loved it for years, and recently purchased a Kamodo Kamado (delivery in progress). More on that later.

My fiancee's Mom's B-Day is coming up, and she wants to get her a smoker/grill for her new house. MIL is a rock-solid cook, and already has a fine Weber to work with, but everyone has come to appreciate this style of cooking over the last 4 years I've known the family. Cost-wise, KK is way out of line, and so, probably is the BGE. MIL would absolutely go bananas if she found out how much these things are. I'm not a fan of the Kamado Joe, for a # of reasons, mostly that the BGE is, IMO much better, and if you're shelling out that kind of money, you might as well either get an Egg or go all in on a KK...

So, I was browsing around online and saw this CKA thingamajigger. It's sure right in her budget. I've grown to hate big box stores, and avoid them like the plague. Online reviews are fine and all, but we all like this community better.

Anyone have one, know someone who does, actually seen one of these in action or eaten food prepared off it, etc? Experience/opinions greatly appreciated.
What makes you say this? I like the Kamado Joe a little better than the egg. I don't think that there is much difference, and could see it either way, but how is it much better?Here is the first of a three part review. of the Acorn. My neighbor bought one and likes it, but has not done any indirect cooking because he can't find a smoking stone. Of course in the video, there is a simple work around.

Users who are viewing this thread