What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Interesting. You guys definitely have more complicated starting methods than I do. I have not had any real problems in the 6ish years I have owned the Egg with fires going out. These are my steps1) Before I start the fire I stir the lump to free up air space at bottom and make sure side holes are clear using my hands2) Using an electric starter, I bury it deep in the middle of the lump and let it run for 12-13 minutes3) Before taking it out I stir it lightly to move some of the hot coals around4) Close the lid (adding plate setter if needed) and watch the temp. With the fly wheel off and the bottom vent open it will shoot up pretty quickly5) Then depending on the temp I want to reach, I use the vents to get there and let it sit for about 15 minutes while I prep what ever I need, always keeping an eye on the temp
This is essentially what I do, except I don't have an electric starter. I use a Weber chimney to get a load of coals going, then dump them on top of the coals in the egg. I do think patience is a key though. A common experience for me is to note that my coal-bed is reaching a perfect state, just as I'm pulling the food off the grill.

'Premier said:
I'm still having a hard time sustaining heat. I get the egg hot, put the meat on around 400 or 450, baste it an hour later and the heat drops to 200 or below. Driving me nuts.
If you are looking for 400 to 450 you should never have the daisy wheel on at all. All control should be the bottom vent.And ETA: What are you cooking for an hour at 450?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Premier said:
I'm still having a hard time sustaining heat. I get the egg hot, put the meat on around 400 or 450, baste it an hour later and the heat drops to 200 or below. Driving me nuts.
If you are looking for 400 to 450 you should never have the daisy wheel on at all. All control should be the bottom vent.And ETA: What are you cooking for an hour at 450?
I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean in this thread. My fault. When I put the meat on it is at 400 or 450, then it falls into the 350 range for a little while and then quickly down to 2-250.

'Premier said:
I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean in this thread. My fault. When I put the meat on it is at 400 or 450, then it falls into the 350 range for a little while and then quickly down to 2-250.
It is very common for your temp to drop a bit when putting in a chunk of cold meat, and then it should recover in a while. But it should never drop 200 degrees. With out watching exactly what you do I can only guess your egg is not being preheated correctly.

Bought an electric fire starter today, cleaned it all out, cleared all the holes, let it get heated to a molten hot, Closed the lid and put the meat on around 375 and now 2 hours later the coals are out and the grill is at about 175.

:kicksrock:

I must be the only person in America who can't use this ####ing thing.

Bought an electric fire starter today, cleaned it all out, cleared all the holes, let it get heated to a molten hot, Closed the lid and put the meat on around 375 and now 2 hours later the coals are out and the grill is at about 175. :kicksrock:I must be the only person in America who can't use this ####ing thing.
Ok let's go through this slowly1) how long did you leave the electric starter in? You should be able to see a live flame (not just red coal) before removing it. Typically 12-15 minutes2) how long was it between the time you closed the lid and put the meat on? You probably need about 20 minutes to let the temp settle and find your happy spot in the vents. 3) can you take a picture of your egg when it drops to 175? It is almost physically impossible for the Egg to get that low unless the vents are all but shut closed. If you want to hold a 375 temp, you will need a small opening both top and bottom vents.

Bought an electric fire starter today, cleaned it all out, cleared all the holes, let it get heated to a molten hot, Closed the lid and put the meat on around 375 and now 2 hours later the coals are out and the grill is at about 175. :kicksrock:I must be the only person in America who can't use this ####ing thing.
Ok let's go through this slowly1) how long did you leave the electric starter in? You should be able to see a live flame (not just red coal) before removing it. Typically 12-15 minutes2) how long was it between the time you closed the lid and put the meat on? You probably need about 20 minutes to let the temp settle and find your happy spot in the vents. 3) can you take a picture of your egg when it drops to 175? It is almost physically impossible for the Egg to get that low unless the vents are all but shut closed. If you want to hold a 375 temp, you will need a small opening both top and bottom vents.
1) left the electric starter on for a good 20 minutes. Coals were red hot and when I shut the lid it immediately jumped to 600 degrees. Then put the daisy wheel on, shut the slide a little till it got under 400. 2) probably 10-15 minutes. Maybe a touch longer. I can let it go longer next time. 3) I will. Basically the coals look like white ash when it gets that low. I really do appreciate the help everybody.

1) left the electric starter on for a good 20 minutes. Coals were red hot and when I shut the lid it immediately jumped to 600 degrees. Then put the daisy wheel on, shut the slide a little till it got under 400. 2) probably 10-15 minutes. Maybe a touch longer. I can let it go longer next time. 3) I will. Basically the coals look like white ash when it gets that low. I really do appreciate the help everybody.
In step 1, you mentioned the daisy wheel but what about the bottom vent? When you take pics, show both inside and outside of the egg from various angles. Maybe one of us can spot something that looks wrong. It sounds like you are doing the right things so I am pretty confused.

In step 1, you mentioned the daisy wheel but what about the bottom vent? When you take pics, show both inside and outside of the egg from various angles. Maybe one of us can spot something that looks wrong. It sounds like you are doing the right things so I am pretty confused.
Bottom vent = slide thingy :bag:

Bought an electric fire starter today, cleaned it all out, cleared all the holes, let it get heated to a molten hot, Closed the lid and put the meat on around 375 and now 2 hours later the coals are out and the grill is at about 175.

Ok let's go through this slowly1) how long did you leave the electric starter in? You should be able to see a live flame (not just red coal) before removing it. Typically 12-15 minutes

2) how long was it between the time you closed the lid and put the meat on? You probably need about 20 minutes to let the temp settle and find your happy spot in the vents.

3) can you take a picture of your egg when it drops to 175? It is almost physically impossible for the Egg to get that low unless the vents are all but shut closed. If you want to hold a 375 temp, you will need a small opening both top and bottom vents.
1) left the electric starter on for a good 20 minutes. Coals were red hot and when I shut the lid it immediately jumped to 600 degrees. Then put the daisy wheel on, shut the slide a little till it got under 400. 2) probably 10-15 minutes. Maybe a touch longer. I can let it go longer next time.

3) I will. Basically the coals look like white ash when it gets that low.

I really do appreciate the help everybody.
In step 1, you mentioned the daisy wheel but what about the bottom vent? When you take pics, show both inside and outside of the egg from various angles. Maybe one of us can spot something that looks wrong.

It sounds like you are doing the right things so I am pretty confused.
Yes, the bottom vent is the "slide thingy". Do not close it fully. It will effectively shut the egg down. The Egg takes in air from the bottom to keep the fire running. BGE Bottom Vent

Ok let's go through this slowly1) how long did you leave the electric starter in? You should be able to see a live flame (not just red coal) before removing it. Typically 12-15 minutes

2) how long was it between the time you closed the lid and put the meat on? You probably need about 20 minutes to let the temp settle and find your happy spot in the vents.

3) can you take a picture of your egg when it drops to 175? It is almost physically impossible for the Egg to get that low unless the vents are all but shut closed. If you want to hold a 375 temp, you will need a small opening both top and bottom vents.
1) left the electric starter on for a good 20 minutes. Coals were red hot and when I shut the lid it immediately jumped to 600 degrees. Then put the daisy wheel on, shut the slide a little till it got under 400. 2) probably 10-15 minutes. Maybe a touch longer. I can let it go longer next time.

3) I will. Basically the coals look like white ash when it gets that low.

I really do appreciate the help everybody.
In step 1, you mentioned the daisy wheel but what about the bottom vent? When you take pics, show both inside and outside of the egg from various angles. Maybe one of us can spot something that looks wrong.

It sounds like you are doing the right things so I am pretty confused.
Yes, the bottom vent is the "slide thingy". Do not close it fully. It will effectively shut the egg down. The Egg takes in air from the bottom to keep the fire running. BGE Bottom Vent
I don't. I leave it a third open.Edit: usually a little more open than that picture actually.

First thing I thought was from your ash, it doesn't look like you are using nearly enough coal.

Also, what kind of coal are you using?

First thing I thought was from your ash, it doesn't look like you are using nearly enough coal.Also, what kind of coal are you using?
The coal was all the way over the holes when I started. Used the Big Green Egg brand tonight. Use Publix Greenwise this morning -- Publix brand seems to burn a little longer. BGE brand almost useless.

I agree with jwb - it looks like you aren't using very much charcoal. I almost always fill it up to the top of the bottom bowl with charcoal, minimum. For a long smoke, I'll fill it up almost to the top of the upper ring. For a long bbq like a pork shoulder, I'll use over half of a 10 lb bag.from the Naked Whiz:

How much charcoal should I use in my ceramic cooker?It's hard to have too much, but you don't want to have too little. The minimum amount of charcoal you should probably ever use (except perhaps for ultra-low temperature smoking like cheese), is enough to just about fill the fire box. For high temperature cooking like steaks, you need to fill the fire box to the top. For long overnight low and slow cooking, you may want to load it up to about halfway up the fire ring so you are sure to have enough to last the entire cook. Just don't worry about having too much or wasting your charcoal. When you are done cooking, close the lower vent and place the ceramic cap on the top vent. The fire will go out and all the remaining charcoal will be preserved, ready for your next cook.

First thing I thought was from your ash, it doesn't look like you are using nearly enough coal.

Also, what kind of coal are you using?
The coal was all the way over the holes when I started. Used the Big Green Egg brand tonight. Use Publix Greenwise this morning -- Publix brand seems to burn a little longer. BGE brand almost useless.
Fill it to the top of the firebox. Truthfully, I never see the air holes after a cook - there's still plenty of coal above it. You can reuse what wasn't burned, so don't worry about wasting it.

But I thought I read in a lot of places that you wanted the airholes to be open to breathe? Does that mean underneath? I always made a point to leave those holes open somehow.

God I'd feel dumber than I already do if it's just not enough charcoal.

But I thought I read in a lot of places that you wanted the airholes to be open to breathe? Does that mean underneath? I always made a point to leave those holes open somehow.

The holes are never visible when I start the grill. I think by "open" people just mean to make sure they aren't clogged with ash or chunks of charcoal, which commonly happens.Here's a picture similar to how mine looks when I fire it up (although my grill hasn't been this clean for many years): http://www.alcoholian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/8_egg_charcoal.jpg

But I thought I read in a lot of places that you wanted the airholes to be open to breathe? Does that mean underneath? I always made a point to leave those holes open somehow. God I'd feel dumber than I already do if it's just not enough charcoal.
I agree with everyone else. It looks simply like not enough fuel. Fill it to the edge of the fire box at least. Try that next cook and let us know if that makes a difference.

The holes are never visible when I start the grill. I think by "open" people just mean to make sure they aren't clogged with ash or chunks of charcoal, which commonly happens.Here's a picture similar to how mine looks when I fire it up (although my grill hasn't been this clean for many years): http://www.alcoholian.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/8_egg_charcoal.jpg
That is a perfect amount for most type of cooks. Premier, do you use less than this?

That is a perfect amount for most type of cooks. Premier, do you use less than this?
My god. Like half of that. Think we temporarily identified the problem. I will fire up a cook before Thanksgiving with lots more charcoal and report back. Thanks a lot guys.

I usually go just above the air holes unless I'm doing a long cook. And even then it's barely at the level in that pic.

My god. Like half of that. Think we temporarily identified the problem. I will fire up a cook before Thanksgiving with lots more charcoal and report back. Thanks a lot guys.
Cool, that is very likely your issue. I had hoped the pictures would help and they may have now. I only have that little coal/ash left after a clean burn when I specifically let it run out which is exactly what you are experiencing.

Read the manual that came with the BGE and/or watch one of the ton of BGE vids on YouTube to get some more ideas on how to fill it.

Cool, that is very likely your issue. I had hoped the pictures would help and they may have now. I only have that little coal/ash left after a clean burn when I specifically let it run out which is exactly what you are experiencing.

Read the manual that came with the BGE and/or watch one of the ton of BGE vids on YouTube to get some more ideas on how to fill it.
:thumbup: All this annoyance aside, this thing really does cook amazing food. Happy to have it.

heh heh - it's funny how these things get misread. I could see Premier's frustration, because technically, he is keeping them open. But yea - make sure they aren't clogged with anything, and then go ahead and bury them. :)

heh heh - it's funny how these things get misread. I could see Premier's frustration, because technically, he is keeping them open. But yea - make sure they aren't clogged with anything, and then go ahead and bury them. :)
Haha. 6 weeks of doing the same mistake over and over -- pretty much madness.

In those 6 weeks you never thought to check out a youtube vid or read the manual? I would have been going nuts knowing I had to be doing something wrong :)

In those 6 weeks you never thought to check out a youtube vid or read the manual? I would have been going nuts knowing I had to be doing something wrong :)
Well for one I didn't get a manual when I bought the thing. Just the one-page how to put it together instruction sheets. Watched a lot of videos on how to cook but never noticed a

significant difference on their fills. I did watch one how to fill

video, but I don't recall them going significantly higher.

I haven't smoked a turkey in 5-6 years and this will be my first on the BGE.

So, 325 degrees cooking temp, 165 internal temp for 4 hours or so sound about right?

I haven't smoked a turkey in 5-6 years and this will be my first on the BGE.So, 325 degrees cooking temp, 165 internal temp for 4 hours or so sound about right?
that sounds about right. Obviously the time will depend on the size of your bird. Also, some birds may brown faster on the outside than the cook on the inside so have foil available to tent in case it is darkening too quickly.I have never smoked a turkey but I know people have had very good results when brining the bird first.

I haven't smoked a turkey in 5-6 years and this will be my first on the BGE.So, 325 degrees cooking temp, 165 internal temp for 4 hours or so sound about right?
that sounds about right. Obviously the time will depend on the size of your bird. Also, some birds may brown faster on the outside than the cook on the inside so have foil available to tent in case it is darkening too quickly.I have never smoked a turkey but I know people have had very good results when brining the bird first.
:thumbup:13 pound bird, I started brining last night.My issue is I play poker every night before Thanksgiving. I won't get home until later (early) so I'm torn on whether to cook it a day early, which I've never done before, start it when I get home Thursday morning or sleep a few hours and *maybe* wake up to put it on.All thoughts and criticisms welcome.

So, 325 degrees cooking temp, 165 internal temp for 4 hours or so sound about right?
:thumbup: 13 pound bird, I started brining last night.

My issue is I play poker every night before Thanksgiving. I won't get home until later (early) so I'm torn on whether to cook it a day early, which I've never done before, start it when I get home Thursday morning or sleep a few hours and *maybe* wake up to put it on.

All thoughts and criticisms welcome.
You suck.

Smokey Turkeys has one major flaw that most over look and thats you lose the great crispy skin and are left with a rubbery dog chew. If you got em, FRY EM!

Part of the beauty of this thing is you can fill it up and cook and then we you close it down you don't waste any more charcoal. I generally fill it up to the fire ring and it'll last me 5-6 cooks depending on what I'm doing.

Smoked 7.5 lbs of bacon on the egg the other day that was cured with a maple syrup, brown sugar, and coffee rub. It will come out of the fridge later and get sliced up tonight :banned:

11lb bird being cooked and smoked for Thanksgiving. Last year my brother and I had a competition - he deep friend his and I did mine on the egg. 2:1 preference for the BGE bird :thumbup:

Smoked 7.5 lbs of bacon on the egg the other day that was cured with a maple syrup, brown sugar, and coffee rub. It will come out of the fridge later and get sliced up tonight :banned: 11lb bird being cooked and smoked for Thanksgiving. Last year my brother and I had a competition - he deep friend his and I did mine on the egg. 2:1 preference for the BGE bird :thumbup:
How much does uncured bacon go for? Did you get it from a butcher?

How big of a bird? Every year, it seems like its taking less and less time to cook (for me at least). I think last year it was around 3 hours.

How big of a bird? Every year, it seems like its taking less and less time to cook (for me at least). I think last year it was around 3 hours.
I grilled a 12 lb turkey last weekend following Alton Brown's recommendation to do the first 30 min @ 500, then back it down to 350 and cook until the breast is 365. (Brown actually specifies 361 degrees /rolleyes.) Took about 3 hours total and was perfectly cooked. Great smokey flavor and very moist. I didn't brine due to dietary restrictions on sodium.

'CletiusMaximus said:
'JerseyToughGuys said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
I grilled a 12 lb turkey last weekend following Alton Brown's recommendation to do the first 30 min @ 500, then back it down to 350 and cook until the breast is 365. (Brown actually specifies 361 degrees /rolleyes.) Took about 3 hours total and was perfectly cooked. Great smokey flavor and very moist. I didn't brine due to dietary restrictions on sodium.
Wow... 361 degrees would be pretty damn well done. Was this turkey jerky?(I know you meant 161...)

'Notorious T.R.E. said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'NewlyRetired said:
'St. Louis Bob said:

:thumbup: 13 pound bird, I started brining last night.

My issue is I play poker every night before Thanksgiving. I won't get home until later (early) so I'm torn on whether to cook it a day early, which I've never done before, start it when I get home Thursday morning or sleep a few hours and *maybe* wake up to put it on.

All thoughts and criticisms welcome.
You suck.
:goodposting:
'JerseyToughGuys said:
'St. Louis Bob said:

How big of a bird?

Every year, it seems like its taking less and less time to cook (for me at least). I think last year it was around 3 hours.
13 pounds

Where do you guys find your packer cut briskets

I have been to 3 places already and all of them only carry the flats

Where do you guys find your packer cut brisketsI have been to 3 places already and all of them only carry the flats
what is the difference between the two cuts? I one better to cook/eat or is it just preference?
The packer cut includes the flat and the point. Two reasons I want the packer. One, they say that just cooking the flat makes it harder to keep moist. It can dry out quicker and since its my first time, I am concerned with that. the other reason is because I want to cut the point off and continue to cook it for burnt ends

Thanks for the info guys. I have never attempted a brisket. Acer, let us know how it goes if you give this a shot.
Hopefully I can find one and Ill take pictures. Im crossing my fingers. We have a backup ham in case I mess it up (which I hear is very easy)

A whole brisket is easy you don't need to do all that bull#### with a whole one. That's the main advantage. Allow at least 12 hours and just check it when it gets to 185. It could take to 195 to be ready. Doing just a flat unwrapped is dicey. With a flat at a minimum you need to inject it a bit and probably mop it while in the stall and afterwards. Not worth the trouble IMO. I would rather just do a pork shoulder. :shrug:

If you like the thought of beef but don't like the thought of 10 pounds of it then go get a chuck rib plate. It is more money, but gives you a longer runway than a flat.

A whole brisket is easy you don't need to do all that bull#### with a whole one. That's the main advantage. Allow at least 12 hours and just check it when it gets to 185. It could take to 195 to be ready. Doing just a flat unwrapped is dicey. With a flat at a minimum you need to inject it a bit and probably mop it while in the stall and afterwards. Not worth the trouble IMO. I would rather just do a pork shoulder. :shrug:If you like the thought of beef but don't like the thought of 10 pounds of it then go get a chuck rib plate. It is more money, but gives you a longer runway than a flat.
Have you ever gone to 203. Just read the link you gave above and thats what he goes to.

A whole brisket is easy you don't need to do all that bull#### with a whole one. That's the main advantage. Allow at least 12 hours and just check it when it gets to 185. It could take to 195 to be ready. Doing just a flat unwrapped is dicey. With a flat at a minimum you need to inject it a bit and probably mop it while in the stall and afterwards. Not worth the trouble IMO. I would rather just do a pork shoulder. :shrug:If you like the thought of beef but don't like the thought of 10 pounds of it then go get a chuck rib plate. It is more money, but gives you a longer runway than a flat.
Have you ever gone to 203. Just read the link you gave above and thats what he goes to.
carry forward usually gets you to 200+. Pulling at 203 is a bit high, but keep in mind he is advocating a foil for a whole packer at the stall so he's in less risk of drying out (at the expense of the crust).

Users who are viewing this thread