What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

This is for Acer and anyone else who wants to chime in.

My buddy is about to pick up a BGE and wanted my opinion on accessories.

Normally I would have told him the plate setter was the number 1 priority, but after seeing the cool combo set Acer bought, I wonder if it would be better to recommend something like that instead, which also includes a form of a plate setter. Link is below for the combo rig

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/
I never got around to posting pics of mine like I said I would a month or so ago, but I will say the stuff from the ceramic grill store is very. very versatile, and I can't imagine not having it. Love my adjustable rig.
Did you get the same thing as Acer or something different? I forget.
If I had to pick, I would go with the ceramic grill store stuff. It is a little more money but well worth it for what you get. The plate setter is still nice for pizza set up but you can do that different ways
Can you put a pizza stone on top of the rig you bought or does that not work/fit?
i don't think it would work as well if at all

Normally I would have told him the plate setter was the number 1 priority, but after seeing the cool combo set Acer bought, I wonder if it would be better to recommend something like that instead, which also includes a form of a plate setter. Link is below for the combo rig

I never got around to posting pics of mine like I said I would a month or so ago, but I will say the stuff from the ceramic grill store is very. very versatile, and I can't imagine not having it. Love my adjustable rig.
If I had to pick, I would go with the ceramic grill store stuff. It is a little more money but well worth it for what you get. The plate setter is still nice for pizza set up but you can do that different ways
Can you put a pizza stone on top of the rig you bought or does that not work/fit?
Hmm ok. So is using a pizza stone the only thing you use the old plate setter for?

Hmm ok. So is using a pizza stone the only thing you use the old plate setter for?
for now, yes

The rig is several levels - you use two pizza stones for making pizza - one on the bottom to act as the indirect, and then one on the top for the pizza.

<a href="http://www.clear-writing.com/images/g1.jpg">like this</a> (forgive the mess)

<a href="http://www.clear-writing.com/images/g2.jpg">In the grill</a> (note my frayed gasket that I will soon replace)</p>

You can add another set of crosspieces and another rack on this thing. Also, the normal BGE rack fits on top (in the grill pic, you can see it on the bottom, but that's not necessary - the rig sits on top of that ridge the grill normally sits on.

With 2-3 sets of crosspieces, 2 cooking grills, and 2 pizza stones, you can do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping a new kamado Joe owner is allowed in this thread. Had it 3 weeks. Burgers first then a whole chicken last weekend and trying ribs this morning. Gas weber for last 13 years which I liked but those burgers were better than anything I remember from a gas grill. Got mine with all the accessories. I know I need a meat probe and a therm for the grill itself. I will be reading this thread to catch up and review all tips.
Sure, any and all ceramic grill chat is great I think.Where did you buy yours?
locally (Allen, TX) The place sold primo, Kamado, and BGE...

first round of ribs went well - not the greates but moist and good..
babyarm

The rig is several levels - you use two pizza stones for making pizza - one on the bottom to act as the indirect, and then one on the top for the pizza.
I have doubts about this system. You want the indirect fire break about an inch from the stone. This is why the feet are so perfect for this. They are the ideal setoff.

I have doubts about this system. You want the indirect fire break about an inch from the stone. This is why the feet are so perfect for this. They are the ideal setoff.
You can indeed do that.

I just edited my post w/ pics. (and the forum butchered it)

Last edited by a moderator:
Owned a BGE for over a year now. Bought the adjustable rig last week due to reading this thread. It was delivered yesterday and put together this morning. Looking forward to using it for a rib contest this weekend.

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:
Acer,

Do you wrap the stone in the rig with foil?
It comes with a catch pan. I wrap that with foil.
I did not realize it came with a catch pan. Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, did you get this?http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-r-b-oval-combo/

The reason I did not think it came with a drip pan was the following sentence in their description

"We also recommend using foil on the Oval Stone to catch drippings"

Owned a BGE for over a year now. Bought the adjustable rig last week due to reading this thread. It was delivered yesterday and put together this morning. Looking forward to using it for a rib contest this weekend.
Snap a few pics if you can and post. Good luck in the contest!

jwb said:

<a href="http://www.clear-writing.com/images/g1.jpg">like this</a> (forgive the mess)

<a href="http://www.clear-writing.com/images/g2.jpg">In the grill</a> (note my frayed gasket that I will soon replace)</p>

You can add another set of crosspieces and another rack on this thing. Also, the normal BGE rack fits on top (in the grill pic, you can see it on the bottom, but that's not necessary - the rig sits on top of that ridge the grill normally sits on.

With 2-3 sets of crosspieces, 2 cooking grills, and 2 pizza stones, you can do anything.
What is the reason you use a pizza stone on bottom instead of the oval ceramic stone that the rig comes with?

If the rig has the ability to have the middle shelf slide in and out like an oven rack, does it clear the top edge of the BGE or do you have to take the whole rig out and then use the slider to get to the lower level of meat?

Looks like they quit offering the catch pan. That is exactly the set i have by name. :shrug: Price increase maybe.

Looks like they quit offering the catch pan. That is exactly the set i have by name. :shrug: Price increase maybe.
Cool, thanks!Does the shelf actually slide in and out while in the Egg or do you need to take the whole unit out of egg to get to meat on the under shelf.

What is the reason you use a pizza stone on bottom instead of the oval ceramic stone that the rig comes with?
I didn't get that w/ my rig. They change their packages/etc - I bought mine piecemeal. One pizza stone I bought w/ my egg (the "offical" one :) , and I picked up the other at bed bath and beyond or whatnot.

To answer the other question you just asked above, yea, you can take that one grid out while it's in the egg. Might have to use the grabber thingee.

Cool, thanks!Does the shelf actually slide in and out while in the Egg or do you need to take the whole unit out of egg to get to meat on the under shelf.
The low shelf is below the felt line so you will have to remove the upper shelf first. That assumes I understand what you are asking. 2nd shelf has clearance to slide in

Thanks for the answers!

I was referring to this part of the rig for the question about the shelf

Large Slide Guide: Our exclusive Slide Guide rail system lets the 13"x17" Oval Stainless Grid slide in and out for easy food handling. It's as easy as sliding an oven rack in your oven. We recommend setting the Slide Guide on Level 3.0, middle bracket setting.

Thanks for the answers! I was referring to this part of the rig for the question about the shelfLarge Slide Guide: Our exclusive Slide Guide rail system lets the 13"x17" Oval Stainless Grid slide in and out for easy food handling. It's as easy as sliding an oven rack in your oven. We recommend setting the Slide Guide on Level 3.0, middle bracket setting.
it slides out but they make it seem simple. It's not difficult but when you have food on it and its hot, it's tricky. Maybe once I get used to it it will be better

Thanks for the answers! I was referring to this part of the rig for the question about the shelfLarge Slide Guide: Our exclusive Slide Guide rail system lets the 13"x17" Oval Stainless Grid slide in and out for easy food handling. It's as easy as sliding an oven rack in your oven. We recommend setting the Slide Guide on Level 3.0, middle bracket setting.
it slides out but they make it seem simple. It's not difficult but when you have food on it and its hot, it's tricky. Maybe once I get used to it it will be better
Cool. If it is on that level 3.0 setting, does it clear the felt so that you don't need to take out the whole unit?

Cool. If it is on that level 3.0 setting, does it clear the felt so that you don't need to take out the whole unit?
yes

yes
Sweet. Can you estimate for me if you use the 3.0 setting, what the distance is between that shelf and the grill plate you lay on the very top? Is it just big enough to do ribs or can you get a bigger piece of meat in that area?

yes
Sweet. Can you estimate for me if you use the 3.0 setting, what the distance is between that shelf and the grill plate you lay on the very top? Is it just big enough to do ribs or can you get a bigger piece of meat in that area?
Tons of room. I'll measure it for you when I get home. You could do a crap ton of ribs or something much bigger in that config.

Tons of room. I'll measure it for you when I get home. You could do a crap ton of ribs or something much bigger in that config.
nice! I think you guys have sold me on this. My Egg has needed a new toy for a while now so this may be its gift this spring.

I just ordered the Large Adjustable Rig R & B Oval Combo. Can't wait to try it out.

Here is a video I found on youtube on the rig

nice! I think you guys have sold me on this. My Egg has needed a new toy for a while now so this may be its gift this spring.
oh man, forgot to do this. looks like you figured it out.
No worries. You gave plenty of info in the thread. The video on youtube gave me a nice idea of the space. It does look very versatile as you guys said. One thing I need to decide later is to whether to buy second oval grill plate or just use my current round one when doing two tier smoking.

Well I've been playing around in the pre-season some with techniques and recipes.

I'm starting to get the hang of ribs, but baby backs are a little tricky for me still. I can do 321 St. Louis perfect. BBR just turn to mush 321 and I can't get it to scale down effectively without drying out. I'd rather be able to do BBR as they feed more people. Some of this is a philosophical difference between Texas people and true BBQ snobs. The "falling off the bone" and smoke ring are actually defects in judging. It's just hard to sell it to a crowd here without those features.

Going to get some goat soon. May get a whole side and have it parted up for cinco.

I still haven't settled on the nest design. Will be faced in oklahoma sandstone and granite tops, but unsure on the overall design. Still looking at pics.

Well I've been playing around in the pre-season some with techniques and recipes. I'm starting to get the hang of ribs, but baby backs are a little tricky for me still. I can do 321 St. Louis perfect. BBR just turn to mush 321 and I can't get it to scale down effectively without drying out. I'd rather be able to do BBR as they feed more people. Some of this is a philosophical difference between Texas people and true BBQ snobs. The "falling off the bone" and smoke ring are actually defects in judging. It's just hard to sell it to a crowd here without those features..
For baby backs I don't use the 3-2-1. As you said that is too long. I have found that at 225, a 2-1-1 is more than sufficient to get a good smoke ring and tender with just enough bite to them.Try a 2-1-1 next time and during the foil section, smother in honey.

Culdy, you can also do a bacon wrap around the BBRs. It will keep them moist due to the bacon far rendering during the cook. I did it once and thought they came out good. There is a YouTube link that shows how to do it. Couple of redneck guys in the woods.

I prefer St Louis style and mainly smoke those.

Culdy, you can also do a bacon wrap around the BBRs. It will keep them moist due to the bacon far rendering during the cook. I did it once and thought they came out good. There is a YouTube link that shows how to do it. Couple of redneck guys in the woods. I prefer St Louis style and mainly smoke those.
Do you stick with the 3-2-1 for St Louis style or do you prefer a different method?

Culdy, you can also do a bacon wrap around the BBRs. It will keep them moist due to the bacon far rendering during the cook. I did it once and thought they came out good. There is a YouTube link that shows how to do it. Couple of redneck guys in the woods.I prefer St Louis style and mainly smoke those.
I think this is mainly my preference aligned with the feedback I've gotten. Probably will do some experiments with 2-1-1 or something with BBR in the future, but it's backburned for the time being.

I'd like you guys advice on what size to buy. The kids are pretty much gone (college and such). I think I can get my wife to agree to buy one but I don't want to go much bigger than I need. I've been cooking on a modified Brinkman and mostly just cook for me and the wife. I'd especially like to hear from people who bought the smaller ones and are satisfied or wish they had gone bigger. Or couples that bought the bigger ones and wish they had gone smaller. I'd probably like to cook a butt once and awhile, what is the smallest I can get away with?

I'd like you guys advice on what size to buy. The kids are pretty much gone (college and such). I think I can get my wife to agree to buy one but I don't want to go much bigger than I need. I've been cooking on a modified Brinkman and mostly just cook for me and the wife. I'd especially like to hear from people who bought the smaller ones and are satisfied or wish they had gone bigger. Or couples that bought the bigger ones and wish they had gone smaller. I'd probably like to cook a butt once and awhile, what is the smallest I can get away with?
Tough question. I always recommend to buy as big as you can afford (these things and accessories are not cheap). I would still go with a large even if just two people but you could probably get away with a medium but then you might kick yourself when you want to cook for kids/grand kids etc. remember that this thing is pretty much going to last you decades.

It's just my wife and I, but I cannot imagine not having the Large. I am very, very happy I did not go smaller.

It's usually just me and my wife and I'm very glad I got the large. The medium definitely would have been too small, imo.

Culdy, you can also do a bacon wrap around the BBRs. It will keep them moist due to the bacon far rendering during the cook. I did it once and thought they came out good. There is a YouTube link that shows how to do it. Couple of redneck guys in the woods. I prefer St Louis style and mainly smoke those.
Do you stick with the 3-2-1 for St Louis style or do you prefer a different method?
yes. Although that link you sent made me want to try something different when I don't have 6 hours to do it.

Culdy, you can also do a bacon wrap around the BBRs. It will keep them moist due to the bacon far rendering during the cook. I did it once and thought they came out good. There is a YouTube link that shows how to do it. Couple of redneck guys in the woods.

I prefer St Louis style and mainly smoke those.
yes. Although that link you sent made me want to try something different when I don't have 6 hours to do it.
the one I sent a couple of days ago? I think those were baby back ribs if memory serves.

It's usually just me and my wife and I'm very glad I got the large. The medium definitely would have been too small, imo.
Thank you to all who replied. Looks like I'm going large.

Ok it is that time of the year where I buy enough lump charcoal to outlast a zombie invasion.

Where do you guys find the best deals for lump charcoal?

Ok it is that time of the year where I buy enough lump charcoal to outlast a zombie invasion.Where do you guys find the best deals for lump charcoal?
bump
This is going to vary quite a bit by region. Unless you want a pallet delivered or something like that.
Just trying to get a rough idea of where people are seeing good prices, be it a Walmart, or a BJ's etc. I just picked up a 20 pound bag for $14 today to tide me over until I can find a really good deal some where.

Ok it is that time of the year where I buy enough lump charcoal to outlast a zombie invasion.Where do you guys find the best deals for lump charcoal?
bump
This is going to vary quite a bit by region. Unless you want a pallet delivered or something like that.
If you have a GFS near you, they sell their 20# bag for $10.99 or something like that. It's rebranded Royal Oak Lump which I love.

bump
If you have a GFS near you, they sell their 20# bag for $10.99 or something like that. It's rebranded Royal Oak Lump which I love.
Royal Oak is really, really good. Stay away from the "cowboy" brand sold at Lowes - terrible stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread