What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Anybody use the bernzomatic? I've gone through 6 different fire starters from Home Depot and lowes. My outlet must be busting them or something. :hot:

Anyways, thought I would try something new.
I've used a Weber chimney for years and can't imagine anything being much more convenient or effective.

My wife won't let me get the blow torch. She has a point with me being prone to disastors and having a blow torch on a deck might not be a marriage made in heaven :)

Do you guys think they are making the electric starters cheaper these days? The first one I bought years ago lasted a long ling time. Since then I am going through them like candy, no matter what brand I try.

I think I might take another run at the wife to get a blow torch. I figure I don't need anything huge, just a small plumbers type would do the trick right?

Just in case anyone was interested, I had been wrestling between purchasing the large BGE vs the Kamado Joe. They are very comparable so it came down to cost for me. My local egg dealer wanted $799 for egg by itself, $169 for a nest, and another $130 for shelves and another $110 for a plate setter. So it was going to come to $1,208 + tax but included free home delivery.

I got the Joe for $849 which included cart & shelves and I added a cover for $40, deflector for $50 and expander for $89. So my total was $1,028 + tax with a few added accessories (cover & expander). Also used my wife's ACE Rewards card so she is happy getting over 9,000 pts. Delivery is free to my nearest ACE hardware.

Very excited and from what I understand pretty much all recipes/techniques for the BGE should work fine for the Joe since they are so similar. Can't wait to start cooking and will be visiting this thread often.

Just in case anyone was interested, I had been wrestling between purchasing the large BGE vs the Kamado Joe. They are very comparable so it came down to cost for me. My local egg dealer wanted $799 for egg by itself, $169 for a nest, and another $130 for shelves and another $110 for a plate setter. So it was going to come to $1,208 + tax but included free home delivery.

I got the Joe for $849 which included cart & shelves and I added a cover for $40, deflector for $50 and expander for $89. So my total was $1,028 + tax with a few added accessories (cover & expander). Also used my wife's ACE Rewards card so she is happy getting over 9,000 pts. Delivery is free to my nearest ACE hardware.

Very excited and from what I understand pretty much all recipes/techniques for the BGE should work fine for the Joe since they are so similar. Can't wait to start cooking and will be visiting this thread often.
congrats! I think you are going to love the Joe! Please post in here when ever you want. We should probably change the title of this thread to Ceramic Cookers to be more inclusive.

By the way, what is the expander used for in the Joe?

OK so I showed the wifey the electric starter and she said "oh no not again". From that point I was able to convince her I was not going to kill myself with a blow torch. :)

So I did some research online and it looks like either a propane or a map torch will work so I went out to Home Depot and picked up a relatively cheap ($25) torch that came with a can of propane.

I tested it when I came home on a clean egg with fresh charcoal. It worked very well. After about 2 minutes I had the Egg to the point of where the electric starter would have been in about 13-15 minutes. I closed up and it came up to temp very nicely.

The only draw back I can see is I don't think this torch is meant to be held side ways which is kind of the position I had to hold it in to get close to the lump. I will have to monitor this as time goes on and see if it has problems when the propane tank starts to empty.

Each propane tank refill is $3.00. I have no way to really estimate how many uses I will get out of each tank so I am just keeping track for now.

This was the Bernzomatic that I got. Premier, is this what you were thinking about or is it a different type/model?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS3000KC-Self-Igniting-Torch-Kit-330879/203368720#.UcnnzJwQOQY

:thumbup: . You're gonna love it.

I just picked up a 34 pound bag of Frontier lump for only $17 at BJ's. This is the best deal I have seen in a long time. I am using some right now on my cook and the pieces are very good sized and it lit quickly.

Nice.

For future reference to other prospective buyers, in my experience, BGE dealers will negotiate pricing. Not sure across brands, but when I bought my XL, I had two dealers underbidding each other. It's a little work but it saved me hundreds.

congrats! I think you are going to love the Joe! Please post in here when ever you want. We should probably change the title of this thread to Ceramic Cookers to be more inclusive.

By the way, what is the expander used for in the Joe?
The expander is an additional rack to give a second level of cooking surface.

http://i.imgur.com/2xJWJSD.jpg?1

2xJWJSD.jpg

I think I linked it correctly, but I built this for my dad for Father's Day. Would fit an Egg, but made some modifications for the Steel Keg. Also, the 2x4's have been replaced with a circular stone. It was a surprise, so I wasn't sure how the grill would fit. Needed to raise it another 1 1/2".

Last edited by a moderator:
http://i.imgur.com/2xJWJSD.jpg?1

2xJWJSD.jpg

I think I linked it correctly, but I built this for my dad for Father's Day. Would fit an Egg, but made some modifications for the Steel Keg. Also, the 2x4's have been replaced with a circular stone. It was a surprise, so I wasn't sure how the grill would fit. Needed to raise it another 1 1/2".
Very nice. I love the inlaid tiles.
That is nice. I have 1x6's across the top. They're curling a bit in the sun and aren't a food-friendly surface. I think I'm going to try to pour my own concrete countertop later this summer.

I just picked up a 34 pound bag of Frontier lump for only $17 at BJ's. This is the best deal I have seen in a long time. I am using some right now on my cook and the pieces are very good sized and it lit quickly.
I saw this yesterday. How is it?

I can not believe how little adjusting I have had to do since I listened to Culdeus and left the Daisy wheel wide open. Ribs went on at 9:30 this morning and held for 3 hours at 235. A couple of adjustments since but unreal. Before a wide open daisy wheel, I was constantly adjusting.

Thanks culdy

I can not believe how little adjusting I have had to do since I listened to Culdeus and left the Daisy wheel wide open. Ribs went on at 9:30 this morning and held for 3 hours at 235. A couple of adjustments since but unreal. Before a wide open daisy wheel, I was constantly adjusting.

Thanks culdy
You're saying throughout the cook you left the daisy wheel wide open?

To keep mine at 225 I usually have daisy wheel and bottom open barely a crack.

Thanks culdy
:bowtie:

Main drawback of no-daisy wheel is lack of smoke flavor. This may or may not be noticeable depending on your fuel used. YMMV.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day for my egg. Doing a whole bunch of stuff

Rib fiesta featuring

-Short ribs Korean style

-Country ribs

-St. Louis ribs

And also:

-Asian Chicken skewers

I'll try to take pics

I have my two drawers on the way for my built in setup. Will start construction on that after the 4th.

Thanks culdy

-Short ribs Korean style
can you give a quick recipe/technique for these?

Thanks culdy

same with me. Almost as thin as a credit card on the bottom and then a crack on top.

But I actually never tried it with out the cap and just a tiny opening at bottom.

I saw this yesterday. How is it?
after two cooks I love it. The chunks have all been medium to large in size and very little dust so far. They light up quick with the torch and seem solid so far on how long they last.

I am heading back this week to get another bag. The $16.99 was a sale price (instant $3.00 rebate type of sale) but even the regular price of $19.99 is much better than I usually spend.

Thanks culdy

I actually put the daisy wheel on but leave it wide open. Everything I have read and seen on youtube confirms what you and NR say but Im telling you, I have pretty much set it and forget it during this whole cook. I have no reasoning behind it. It worked when I did chicken breast a few weeks ago also

Thanks culdy

-Short ribs Korean style
I'm just going to use this basic marinade (below) but probably cut down the sugar a tad. Will just pulse it in the blender a few times and let go overnight. Will smoke them at 225 till the bone is getting loose. I am trying to find "full" short ribs, but those are hard to locate. The main difficulty comes in that each rib (if not whole rib) cooks at it's own speed so might have one come off a full hour before the last. I've done it south texas style with just salt pepper oak and that had people doing backflips. Doing an asianed thing on the chicken as well.

1 cup soy sauce

8 -- green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup sesame oil

1/4 cup rice vinegar

6 large garlic cloves, crushed

2 tablespoons crushed peeled fresh ginger

1 -- serrano chile, minced

1 teaspoon sambal oelek (a spicy chili paste available in the Asian secion of most markets)

Thanks culdy

-Short ribs Korean style
I'm just going to use this basic marinade (below) but probably cut down the sugar a tad. Will just pulse it in the blender a few times and let go overnight. Will smoke them at 225 till the bone is getting loose. I am trying to find "full" short ribs, but those are hard to locate. The main difficulty comes in that each rib (if not whole rib) cooks at it's own speed so might have one come off a full hour before the last. I've done it south texas style with just salt pepper oak and that had people doing backflips. Doing an asianed thing on the chicken as well.

1 cup soy sauce

8 -- green onions, white and green parts thinly sliced

1/3 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup sesame oil

1/4 cup rice vinegar

6 large garlic cloves, crushed

2 tablespoons crushed peeled fresh ginger

1 -- serrano chile, minced

1 teaspoon sambal oelek (a spicy chili paste available in the Asian secion of most markets)
thank you! I am going to try this the next time I see some short ribs on sale!

If anyone in the Atlanta area is interested I have an unused, brand new mini-green egg that I won at the BGE headquarters a couple of months ago I'd like to sell. It's got a couple of tools and a bag lump - Not the big bag but a smaller one. Maybe 10 pounds. The egg itself retails for $350. I'd like to get 275 for everything I just mentioned.

I've got 2 WSMs and really don't see myself using the thing.

I don't know how comfortable I'd be shipping it.

I wanted to get my shoulder on between 9-10 last night. I passed out and didnt get it on til 20 minutes ago. Grrrrrrrr

Hope it's more of the 1.5 hours/lbs than the 2 hours otherwise this thing won't be ready in time for dinner.

I wanted to get my shoulder on between 9-10 last night. I passed out and didnt get it on til 20 minutes ago. Grrrrrrrr

Hope it's more of the 1.5 hours/lbs than the 2 hours otherwise this thing won't be ready in time for dinner.
How big is it and is it bone in?

You could also raise the temp slightly to catch up. If you are running at 225, it won't hurt you to run at 250-275.

How big is it and is it bone in?You could also raise the temp slightly to catch up. If you are running at 225, it won't hurt you to run at 250-275.
it is close to 9.5 lbs and bone in. . I just woke up to temps at 234 and the pork at 187. It just actually went up to 189 as I was typing this. It did not stall and if it did, it didnt stall long. Now I have to worry that it's ready too early. I plan on pulling at 203. How long can you do the foil and towel in the cooler trick before you have to pull.

How big is it and is it bone in?You could also raise the temp slightly to catch up. If you are running at 225, it won't hurt you to run at 250-275.
it is close to 9.5 lbs and bone in. . I just woke up to temps at 234 and the pork at 187. It just actually went up to 189 as I was typing this. It did not stall and if it did, it didnt stall long. Now I have to worry that it's ready too early. I plan on pulling at 203. How long can you do the foil and towel in the cooler trick before you have to pull.
I'm in the exact same boat. Smoking two 8-pounders and they are at 195 already. I'm pretty sure you can wrap and rest for a few hours and they will be fine. Just monitor internal temp. Mine will be resting around 3 hours once done at 200.

Double wrap in foil. Then wrap in towels and then put in cooler. People report that they have kept them for 5 hours in cooler and they are still too hot to touch when they take them out to pull.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106473

I've wrapped in double foil with a towel inside a cooler for MANY hours before. Up to 4 probably. You'll be fine. Can't really screw up pork butt on a BGE, delish every time.

Thanks guys. Just took it off at 9:45 and double triple wrapped and toweled into the cooler.

Not sure why but it took 9 1/2 hours. That is an hour a pound. Way off from the average 1.5 hr per lb.

Anyway, got the egg stable again for the whole cook. Adjusted slightly 4-5 times in the 9 hours and slept close to 5 1/2 hours. I'm not sure how I'm doing it with the daisy wheel on open but it's made me a temp control expert.

And it looks awesome. I can not wait to try it.

Thanks guys. Just took it off at 9:45 and double triple wrapped and toweled into the cooler.

Not sure why but it took 9 1/2 hours. That is an hour a pound. Way off from the average 1.5 hr per lb.

Anyway, got the egg stable again for the whole cook. Adjusted slightly 4-5 times in the 9 hours and slept close to 5 1/2 hours. I'm not sure how I'm doing it with the daisy wheel on open but it's made me a temp control expert.

Why put the daisy wheel on at all if you're going to keep it open the whole time?

Why put the daisy wheel on at all if you're going to keep it open the whole time?
Having the daisy wheel on, but fully open is not the same as having nothing on the top. Even with the daisy wheel fully open, the opening for air flow is slightly smaller than if you had nothing on top.

Nice!

As a side note, have you double checked the Egg's thermometer? Maybe you were cooking at a slightly higher temp than you first thought?

think about it this way, when you have the wheel off, you can really get it burning (5-600 degrees). Put the wheel on an it drops a significant amount. I am not expert, I'm not trying to say that. All I'm saying is that it works for me. And if it lets me sleep while I have a butt on the grill, I'm all for it.

Nice!As a side note, have you double checked the Egg's thermometer? Maybe you were cooking at a slightly higher temp than you first thought?
i used my maverick an the thermometer was reading no more than 10 degrees difference at any point in my last two cooks.

Last night was very hot here so my wife did not want the stove on at all. I was planning to cook a steak fajita so I did it all out on the Egg.

First was the steak cooked using Alton's method with a cast iron skillet.

While the steak was resting, I used the cast iron pan to fry up the onions and peppers, and then sliced the steak and added to cast iron. Sprinkled on some cheese and let it all melt and blend. I even heated up the tortillas in the Egg (just wrapped them in foil).

Came out great.

Tonight I am going to do my basic spatchcock chicken which I still love. I make a butter, garlic and spice paste that I rub under the skin and then let it cook direct at 375 for about an hour then in the last 5 minutes I add on a honey, ginger glaze.

With the chicken, I also dice up red potatoes, and add spices and a little olive oil and then wrap the in foil and let them cook next to the chicken.

Does any have any techniques they would recommend to smoke bone-in chicken thighs? I am trying to figure out an Egg temp and rough cooking time.

I was thinking of brining them first, and then smoking at about 275ish. I am unsure how long they would take roughly to hit an internal temp of 165-170ish. Any thoughts

Hey guys, how did your pork shoulders turn out?
It got rave reviews from people who are usually honest.

But I thought it came out a little dry. When I went to pull the bone out, it didnt slide out like the last few I have made. There are few things I did differently. I didnt brine, I didnt spray with apple juice once an hour and I left it wrapped for 6 hours (which was fine because it was still hot when I opened the foil)

Im thinking the biggest thing was the brine. I was also not happy with the bark. But like I said, my wife who is always honest said I was crazy and that it was delicious.

Does any have any techniques they would recommend to smoke bone-in chicken thighs? I am trying to figure out an Egg temp and rough cooking time.

I was thinking of brining them first, and then smoking at about 275ish. I am unsure how long they would take roughly to hit an internal temp of 165-170ish. Any thoughts
I have done thighs and legs BUT, I did them in a pan not directly on the grate. I think it took 2 hours or so

I have done thighs and legs BUT, I did them in a pan not directly on the grate. I think it took 2 hours or so
In a pan direct heat, or indirect heat? And what temp did you cook at?

It got rave reviews from people who are usually honest.But I thought it came out a little dry. When I went to pull the bone out, it didnt slide out like the last few I have made. There are few things I did differently. I didnt brine, I didnt spray with apple juice once an hour and I left it wrapped for 6 hours (which was fine because it was still hot when I opened the foil)

Im thinking the biggest thing was the brine. I was also not happy with the bark. But like I said, my wife who is always honest said I was crazy and that it was delicious.
Wow, 6 hours is great to stay hot like that. Makes cooking for a party so much easier.

How much did a shoulder that size cost you?

It got rave reviews from people who are usually honest.

But I thought it came out a little dry. When I went to pull the bone out, it didnt slide out like the last few I have made. There are few things I did differently. I didnt brine, I didnt spray with apple juice once an hour and I left it wrapped for 6 hours (which was fine because it was still hot when I opened the foil)

Mine had a good taste, but I got to the store late and had to get one that was smaller than I wanted. Had choices of like 3-4 pounds or 8+, wanted something in the 5-6 range :ptts: . As a result I tried to pull it off earlier than I normally would for a giant one Still tasted and pulled ok, but wasn't perfect.

st. louis ribs were 9.5/10. Maybe could have used a tad more time out of foil.

Short rib plate was good for a first time experiment. Need to probably do that one in the future at a higher temp than I do pork so can't do at same time. Maybe.

Got another giant group coming over on the 20th. Might smoke shoulder the day before and re-heat and do a brisket fresh day of.

Users who are viewing this thread