What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Ok, what's everyone making for Sunday?

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.
Substitute wings for the spatchcock, and I'm doing the exact same thing. Just got my pit IQ in the mail yesterday. :porked:
After you use it a few times can you give a review?
Sure. I'll chime in after this weekend.
This is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Adjustable-Kamado-Adapter/dp/B00A7F1BZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391437212&sr=8-2&keywords=pit+iq

I have a Kamado Joe, not a BGE, but I don't think there are any differences that would affect this thing.

Loved it. I installed it in about a minute, and it worked just like it said it would. I started the fire with a lighter cube, and as soon as that went out I added my heat deflector and grill and plugged the blower in, and it took over. Really, really easy. It took about an hour to find the sweet spot, but during that time it was never more than 12 degrees off. After it settled in it held 233 overnight until I ran out of coals. Running out of coal after only 12 hours was unusual, and might be because of the blower so next time I will have to pack it more carefully. I had it set to 225, and monitored the temp with my maverick.

Sorry if the above is incoherent, but I'm really hungover, and I'm thinking about throwing up in the trash can right next to me. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

One of the reasons I like the BGE so much is it's ability to conserve fuel and retain heat so well. I filled the firebox nearly to the top and was able to do a 17 hour cook, ramp up the temp to 400* for chicken thighs for another hour and still have lump left over.

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:
I finished spatch cocking and cleaning the chicken.

It is now drying in the fridge for use later today.

I am using the extra pieces (backbone, neck, etc) to make a nice chicken stock today (with tomatoes, celery, onion and carrot) and intend to use the stock tomorrow for a mushroom risotto.
Nice, sounds great.I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:
Awesome!How big was the shoulder?

How much did the Digiq DX2 run you?
8lbs. I got it for Xmas but I think around $250 all in?
can you describe how you started up the Egg? Do you bring it to your target temp and then install the DigiQ or is the DigiQ on from the very beginning of the light?
I let it get lit wide open. Put the blower on after 10 min. 10 min later gtg. $$$$$
What position do you typically put the cap in when putting in the blower?

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:

I am using the extra pieces (backbone, neck, etc) to make a nice chicken stock today (with tomatoes, celery, onion and carrot) and intend to use the stock tomorrow for a mushroom risotto.
Nice, sounds great.I put the Digiq DX2 to first time use and it has been a godsend for my overnight cook. No more worrying about temps at all. The pork shoulder has been at 235* since 930 last night. Internal temp is at 185* right now. Should be done in two hours or so. Then foil, towel cooler for a few hours while I make thighs. Bakery rolls with homemade coleslaw to go with the pulled pork :thumbup:

can you describe how you started up the Egg? Do you bring it to your target temp and then install the DigiQ or is the DigiQ on from the very beginning of the light?
I let it get lit wide open. Put the blower on after 10 min. 10 min later gtg. $$$$$
Depends on the temp you want, no?

For my low and slow, I positioned the daisy wheel open about an 1/8th- 1/4 of an inch. Very little oxygen is needed for a 230*-265* cook.

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:

For my low and slow, I positioned the daisy wheel open about an 1/8th- 1/4 of an inch. Very little oxygen is needed for a 230*-265* cook.
I was unsure if the blower setup recommended a certain set up for the cap to make it work efficiently.

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:

I was unsure if the blower setup recommended a certain set up for the cap to make it work efficiently.
Same principals hold for the top whether you use the blower or not.

Note: For birds I always go no daisy and can still hold 350 with a blower no issue.

culdeus said:
NewlyRetired said:

Same principals hold for the top whether you use the blower or not.

Note: For birds I always go no daisy and can still hold 350 with a blower no issue.
Does the blower work in both directions? Both blowing in to increase temp and sucking out to reduce?

I don't read manuals well. So maybe?

My suggestion for any new owner is to master holding temps before getting any devices. Also, many people say not to use high heat for the first few cooks on the egg. I broke my ceramic in gradually in the 300-400 range before a high temp sear for steaks, pizza, etc.

My suggestion for any new owner is to master holding temps before getting any devices. Also, many people say not to use high heat for the first few cooks on the egg. I broke my ceramic in gradually in the 300-400 range before a high temp sear for steaks, pizza, etc.
Agreed. I have owned an Egg for almost 8 years now so I understand the principles. I am just trying to apply them to the blower setup.

Agreed. I have owned an Egg for almost 8 years now so I understand the principles. I am just trying to apply them to the blower setup.
That wasn't directed at you :thumbup:

You'll be fine, take the plunge.

MCguidance said:
[

Not that I know of? Just increasing.
Hmm that is what I thought but I don't understand how the blower maintains a 350 temp with the daisy wheel fully off. It must block air flow.

Buddy asked me to take some pics of my Asian flavored ribs that I made today so that he can try them tomorrow.

Here is the set of pics

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24610826@N03/sets/72157640393032114/
I gave these a B- grade. The flavor was good and the tea smoke was excellent but even though they were tender, it felt like the meat had dried out more than normal.

Could that have to do with me marinading in soy sauce (salty?)?
How long did it sit in soy sauce?

In all these years I have not cooked brisket because of the size (wife eats like a bird).

In the market the other day I saw a "flat" cut of brisket that was much smaller (maybe 1.5 pounds).

Can a piece of brisket of this much smaller size still be smoked?

Buddy asked me to take some pics of my Asian flavored ribs that I made today so that he can try them tomorrow.

Here is the set of pics

I gave these a B- grade. The flavor was good and the tea smoke was excellent but even though they were tender, it felt like the meat had dried out more than normal.

I think it was about 2.5 hours.

In all these years I have not cooked brisket because of the size (wife eats like a bird).

In the market the other day I saw a "flat" cut of brisket that was much smaller (maybe 1.5 pounds).

It sure can. It's not the tastiest part (that's the "point" in IMO) but will be good once done.

Here is the set of pics

I think it was about 2.5 hours.
Borderline. Gotta be careful with ribs. They can take on stuff super fast. Still have variables like the salinity of the soy sauce, ph, etc. etc. but I'm betting that's too long of a soak. Maybe by even a factor of 2.

Yes, but you are gonna want to inject it and wrap it at the stall.

If you want to do something large and beef I would say go with a chuck roast rather than the flat. IMO the small flats are only suitable for slow cooker.

Yes, but you are gonna want to inject it and wrap it at the stall.

If you want to do something large and beef I would say go with a chuck roast rather than the flat. IMO the small flats are only suitable for slow cooker.
I have done Chuck and really like it. One of my favorite cuts of meat. Was always curious about trying brisket.

One of the reasons I like the BGE so much is it's ability to conserve fuel and retain heat so well. I filled the firebox nearly to the top and was able to do a 17 hour cook, ramp up the temp to 400* for chicken thighs for another hour and still have lump left over.
I agree. I've gone 16 hours before on this cooker, and had coals left over so I was surprised to run out at 12 hours. I'm not sure if the blower had something to do with it, or if I should have been more careful packing the coals in. Probably a little of both.

I agree. I've gone 16 hours before on this cooker, and had coals left over so I was surprised to run out at 12 hours. I'm not sure if the blower had something to do with it, or if I should have been more careful packing the coals in. Probably a little of both.
Ambient air eventually plays a role. Not a huge role, but overnight yeah it can.

edit: oops your in LA, never drops below like 70 right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, what's everyone making for Sunday?

I have class on Saturday, but I'm thinking of putting a pork shoulder on at 11pm with my Digi-q and making some pulled pork. Then putting on ribs in the morning, and following with a spatchcocked chicken before the game.
Substitute wings for the spatchcock, and I'm doing the exact same thing. Just got my pit IQ in the mail yesterday. :porked:
After you use it a few times can you give a review?
Sure. I'll chime in after this weekend.
This is the one I got.

http://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Regulator-Adjustable-Kamado-Adapter/dp/B00A7F1BZQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391437212&sr=8-2&keywords=pit+iq

I have a Kamado Joe, not a BGE, but I don't think there are any differences that would affect this thing.

Loved it. I installed it in about a minute, and it worked just like it said it would. I started the fire with a lighter cube, and as soon as that went out I added my heat deflector and grill and plugged the blower in, and it took over. Really, really easy. It took about an hour to find the sweet spot, but during that time it was never more than 12 degrees off. After it settled in it held 233 overnight until I ran out of coals. Running out of coal after only 12 hours was unusual, and might be because of the blower so next time I will have to pack it more carefully. I had it set to 225, and monitored the temp with my maverick.

Sorry if the above is incoherent, but I'm really hungover, and I'm thinking about throwing up in the trash can right next to me. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.
I have a Joe too. That device looks pretty sweet, I might have to get one. Supposedly Kamado Joe is coming out with cookers that have temperature control built in and they will also be selling it separately for current Joe models.

Ambient air eventually plays a role. Not a huge role, but overnight yeah it can.

edit: oops your in LA, never drops below like 70 right?
Not very often. It got into the 20's last week and my daughter got three days off of school. Saturday night was not very cold though, so I can't imagine it had a big impact.

Anybody ever smoke a beef top loin before? I have one from Costco here and was considering giving it the prime rib treatment.

Anyone ever do a pork tenderloin

My wife bought one. Thought maybe I would give it a go on the egg
Yes!

Did it a couple of times last year and loved it. Check back in the thread, there's plenty of talk about them.

Link The recipe I have saved.

I've done stuffed port tenderloin a bunch:

Goat cheese

Spinach

Sun dried tomatoes

Spices

350* indirect until 140 internal temp. Fantastic.

I've done it with cream cheese, parsley, basil, and fuji apples. Done the same way after the outside was drizzled with EVOO, salt, pepper. Unreal again.

I've done stuffed port tenderloin a bunch:

Goat cheese

Spinach

Sun dried tomatoes

Spices

350* indirect until 140 internal temp. Fantastic.

I've done it with cream cheese, parsley, basil, and fuji apples. Done the same way after the outside was drizzled with EVOO, salt, pepper. Unreal again.
Yeah, definitely planning to try them stuffed this year.

Anyone see the new press release for the BGE Mini Max?

http://grillingmontana.com/big-green-egg-introduces-new-mini-max-portable-grill/

Looks like they have hit my sweet spot. I want another for smaller cooks, and with the bigger air vents, cooking area, etc., this might be my next purchase.

I also purchased a Benzomatic Garden torch to light the egg rather than a fire starter.... best purchased I've made accessory-wise. Gets the egg lit in about a minute and a half: http://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-19425-Self-Igniting-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00008ZA0F

So Acer got me wanting a pork tenderloin. Something I forgot to mention last time I made it; the meat comes in two long pieces. Do you guys tie them together or just grill them separate? I saw a recipe that showed how to tie them together.

So Acer got me wanting a pork tenderloin. Something I forgot to mention last time I made it; the meat comes in two long pieces. Do you guys tie them together or just grill them separate? I saw a recipe that showed how to tie them together.
I always treat them seperately not matter how I cook them.

I always treat them seperately not matter how I cook them.
That's what I've done in the past. Just about to throw them on, so no string it is!

I broke down and got the legit Stoker. The PartyQ I might still break out from time to time, but I've actually had the connector on it crap out on me twice now so I'm ready to jump to something a little more robust.

I broke down and got the legit Stoker. The PartyQ I might still break out from time to time, but I've actually had the connector on it crap out on me twice now so I'm ready to jump to something a little more robust.
is that the thing with the fan. Let me know how that works

The partyq has a fan too. It works well when it works. The Stoker is wifi connected fan which you can control offsite. DigiQ sells a similar model for a bit cheaper than the stoker, but I'm a little concerned with their quality now.

The partyq has a fan too. It works well when it works. The Stoker is wifi connected fan which you can control offsite. DigiQ sells a similar model for a bit cheaper than the stoker, but I'm a little concerned with their quality now.
Is the partyq the same thing as the BBQ Guru? I was thinking of getting that this year but your post now makes me think twice.

In more positive news, my thermometer seemed to understand what the 40 degree mark was not a death sentence :) . After months of being deathly afraid of getting anywhere close, yesterday it mustered up the courage.

I celebrated with a nice rack of ribs on the Egg. Can't wait to start cooking much more often now.

Is the partyq the same thing as the BBQ Guru? I was thinking of getting that this year but your post now makes me think twice.

In more positive news, my thermometer seemed to understand what the 40 degree mark was not a death sentence :) . After months of being deathly afraid of getting anywhere close, yesterday it mustered up the courage.

I celebrated with a nice rack of ribs on the Egg. Can't wait to start cooking much more often now.
PartyQ is a BBQ Guru product if that is your question.

Got it today! :pickle:

Large with nest, foldy side tables, ash tool, 20lbs green egg charcoal, ash tool, cube starters and grid grabber. Got a great deal.

Too drunk to assemble it tonight but... :pickle:

Plus an ash tool you guys! :lmao:

Going to order a plate setter and cover right away...as far as other must-have accessories, I'm thinking a cast iron cooking grate is key right? I've had one on my Weber for the past 3 years, indestructible, easy to clean, and conducts heat better than anything.

I'm pretty ####### pumped to finally have one of these. My drunk ### already assembled the nest. :lmao:

proninja said:
What do you guys do for pork chops? I had four extra the other day. Did a dry brine for an hour or so, added some crushed rosemary/garlic powder, and smoked with apple until 145. It made me want to make pork chops more often.
Sounds good. I usually wet brine it but not always.

McGarnicle said:

Going to order a plate setter and cover right away...as far as other must-have accessories, I'm thinking a cast iron cooking grate is key right? I've had one on my Weber for the past 3 years, indestructible, easy to clean, and conducts heat better than anything.

I'm pretty ####### pumped to finally have one of these. My drunk ### already assembled the nest. :lmao:
I find the grate they sent to be of significantly higher quality than weber. I can still clean it to damn near new every time.

Never had the desire to get cast iron. I would worry about stuff sticking

McGarnicle said:

I find the grate they sent to be of significantly higher quality than weber. I can still clean it to damn near new every time.

Never had the desire to get cast iron. I would worry about stuff sticking
Yeah, it's much better quality then the grate that comes with the weber. The cast iron grate I got was $90, very thick and performs just like a good cast iron skillet you'd buy for your kitchen. I'll work with this stock grate though and see if it's worth the upgrade.One thing I love right away is the cast iron circular grate that supports the coals. The equivalent on the weber was falling apart and letting big chunks of charcoal into the ash pot.

Smoked a 14lb packer brisket today. A much better experience this time around.

I feel like the quality of meat for brisket matters more than any other meat. I did an ok job. Would love to see what I could do to a brisket Franklin and those guys order.

Smoked a 14lb packer brisket today. A much better experience this time around.

I feel like the quality of meat for brisket matters more than any other meat. I did an ok job. Would love to see what I could do to a brisket Franklin and those guys order.
Franklins gets cab+. Really that is their secret.

Users who are viewing this thread