What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

So apparently the Maverick thermometer probe doesn't just go when it's bad, it shows a false reading. I'm doing some ribs and I was trying to get the egg up to 250 after putting in the plate setter. The readout went up to around 160 and it wasn't going up much more. I looked at the egg thermometer and it was showing just over 250. I wound up putting the meat probe in and it went up to 260.

I guess it's shot? Or is there a way to recalibrate?
I would try boiling aom water and seeing if it reads close. It could be you were on a bone or something? Just don't get anything but part of the probe wet as it will short it out otherwise.

My probe reads LLL, so I know it's shot. Pretty sure a replacement on amazon is $15 or so.
This was the BBQ probe, not the meat probe. Hanging down from the daisy wheel. I'm now using the meat probe as the BBQ probe. Works fine since I'm not using it on the ribs. Mine had the HHH (or LLL) a few weeks ago but it went away after I straightened out the cable. I guess that was a warning that it was going. I didn't think it would just give a false reading though when it died.

Yeah, the replacement is around $20 last I looked but at least it's 6' compared to the short one that comes with it.

So apparently the Maverick thermometer probe doesn't just go when it's bad, it shows a false reading. I'm doing some ribs and I was trying to get the egg up to 250 after putting in the plate setter. The readout went up to around 160 and it wasn't going up much more. I looked at the egg thermometer and it was showing just over 250. I wound up putting the meat probe in and it went up to 260.

I guess it's shot? Or is there a way to recalibrate?
I would try boiling aom water and seeing if it reads close. It could be you were on a bone or something? Just don't get anything but part of the probe wet as it will short it out otherwise.My probe reads LLL, so I know it's shot. Pretty sure a replacement on amazon is $15 or so.
This was the BBQ probe, not the meat probe. Hanging down from the daisy wheel. I'm now using the meat probe as the BBQ probe. Works fine since I'm not using it on the ribs. Mine had the HHH (or LLL) a few weeks ago but it went away after I straightened out the cable. I guess that was a warning that it was going. I didn't think it would just give a false reading though when it died.Yeah, the replacement is around $20 last I looked but at least it's 6' compared to the short one that comes with it.
I know there are ways to calibrate on YouTube but I'm out and can't find them via phone.

I don't think you want to put a probe in thru the daisy wheel. Two options. Grate using a clip or something or thru the drilled hole they provided if it fits.

I don't think you want to put a probe in thru the daisy wheel. Two options. Grate using a clip or something or thru the drilled hole they provided if it fits.
I've used it through the daisy wheel for about 2 years now. Seems to work fine. I used the meat probe under the lid.

Anyone know if the BGE's ever go on sale?

Also, saw a similar style grill for a much cheaper price at Lowes I'm a novice griller who is just starting out, wondering if a knockoff might make more sense for me, or if I'd be wasting my money by buying any other kamado style cooker besides the Egg... Anyone have experience with the knockoffs?

Only way to get one "on sale" with warranty is an egg fear. You can get them on craigslist but you need to make sure the original owner never filled out the warranty card from my understanding.

Get the egg, don't waste your time with anythig else.

Also, saw a similar style grill for a much cheaper price at Lowes I'm a novice griller who is just starting out, wondering if a knockoff might make more sense for me, or if I'd be wasting my money by buying any other kamado style cooker besides the Egg... Anyone have experience with the knockoffs?
I have never seen them on sale from a real dealer.

Be careful with the knock offs, some/most of them are horrendous.

However there is 1 or 2 similar brand models that are slightly cheaper than the Egg that get very strong reviews.

Look back in the thread, some wrote about one that he got that he loved, I think it was the Kamado Joe.

I have never seen them on sale from a real dealer. Be careful with the knock offs, some/most of them are horrendous.

However there is 1 or 2 similar brand models that are slightly cheaper than the Egg that get very strong reviews.

Look back in the thread, some wrote about one that he got that he loved, I think it was the Kamado Joe.
Awesome thanks! Kamdado Joe is the one that I saw at Lowes - think I'll get that one and work my way up to an egg one day. :thumbup:

If you are looking to save a few bucks see if there is an Eggfest in your area. Dealers sell off the eggs that are practically brand new and used only for the weekend at a nice little discount. And your purchase is still under lifetime warranty.

Over here I've been advised I need to cook 6-8 pork shoulders for my father in law's birthday party. Can I do 8 shoulders in one cook on a large BGE? I can't imagine that, and am planning two separate cooks. PIA.

Over here I've been advised I need to cook 6-8 pork shoulders for my father in law's birthday party. Can I do 8 shoulders in one cook on a large BGE? I can't imagine that, and am planning two separate cooks. PIA.
I seriously doubt it. I'd bet at most you could fit in 24 pounds of shoulder in the egg at one time on two levels. you probably will want two catch pans as well.

You might be able to get away with doing a giant one down low and then a smaller one higher up in the dome.

Here's another option:

Start half your stuff on smoke at 200. Let it go 4 hours. Pull those and finish in the oven.

Start the other half on the egg at 250 and let it go all the way in the egg.

I seriously doubt it. I'd bet at most you could fit in 24 pounds of shoulder in the egg at one time on two levels. you probably will want two catch pans as well.

You might be able to get away with doing a giant one down low and then a smaller one higher up in the dome.

Here's another option:

Start half your stuff on smoke at 200. Let it go 4 hours. Pull those and finish in the oven.

OK, that's a good plan. Finish in the oven = foil and bake at 250 or so until done?

Here's another option:

OK, that's a good plan. Finish in the oven = foil and bake at 250 or so until done?
depends on how big a hurry you are in. Wrapped it will cook pretty fast at 250.

Have any of guys seen or used the Pit Barrel Cooker? It is getting a ton of good reviews for something so inexpensive. Here is a detailed review of it

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

Here is a video for those that don't want to read

http://youtu.be/uCfVu4dPzTM

I still don't quite understand how you smoke over direct heat but every one says the food is cooked well and evenly, even when it is hung.

One thing I love about this is the ease to cook 8 slabs of ribs.

How much is it. I cant see my wife being thrilled gettijg another smoker after dropping a ton on the egg.

Its like how the chinese do it in chinatown

Have any of guys seen or used the Pit Barrel Cooker? It is getting a ton of good reviews for something so inexpensive. Here is a detailed review of it

http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/smoker-pizza-oven/pit-barrel-cooker

Here is a video for those that don't want to read

http://youtu.be/uCfVu4dPzTM

I still don't quite understand how you smoke over direct heat but every one says the food is cooked well and evenly, even when it is hung.

One thing I love about this is the ease to cook 8 slabs of ribs.
Son of a.......................

I guess that's why I wake up every morning and go to a job I hate because of instead of sitting around reminiscing about when we used to smoke meat in a barrel I'm not smart enough to say, "Hey man I bet we can market that ####!"

So I am lighting my egg this morning in prep for a rib cook on this fine fall day.

It has been heating up for about 12 minutes when I go out to check on it.

The heat looks good but decide to give it a couple more minutes before I put the stone in and close the lid

As I turn around and walk back into my house I hear a loud "BOOM!", like a mini cannon being fired

I turned back around to see that the egg has "fired" out a ton of ash about 10 feet across the deck through the bottom vent

WTF happened? Everything else looks fine. There was not a ton of ash at the bottom as I vacuum probably every 2-3 cooks

So I am lighting my egg this morning in prep for a rib cook on this fine fall day.

The heat looks good but decide to give it a couple more minutes before I put the stone in and close the lid

As I turn around and walk back into my house I hear a loud "BOOM!", like a mini cannon being fired

I turned back around to see that the egg has "fired" out a ton of ash about 10 feet across the deck through the bottom vent

WTF happened? Everything else looks fine. There was not a ton of ash at the bottom as I vacuum probably every 2-3 cooks
Woah...never heard of that. Kinda scary.

I actually was coming into the thread to ask a question that might be related.

I've noticed in the past, and it happened yesterday again, that sometimes I'll open the Egg and I'll see glowing red coals and they'll burst into flame when the air hits it. No flame for a second or two and then Whoosh.

What's doing that and how can it be prevented?

Something similar to NR's issue above?

I've noticed in the past, and it happened yesterday again, that sometimes I'll open the Egg and I'll see glowing red coals and they'll burst into flame when the air hits it. No flame for a second or two and then Whoosh.

I don't think it is related.

Yours is a very common occurrence called Flashback (in in real fire terms, a Backdraft)

If your BGE is around 400 or higher and you open the lid quickly, a rush of oxygen flows into the Egg, causing a burst flame. It can be dangerous.

Most people try and "burp" the Egg, which means you open it about an inch, and hold it there for a couple of seconds to allow a small amount of oxygen in and then you can lift with out fear of flash back.

Here is a lot more detail with videos and experiments

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

My guess is some moisture in a piece of lump, similar to the crackling or popping you sometimes get with a campfire.

I don't think it is related.

Yours is a very common occurrence called Flashback (in in real fire terms, a Backdraft)

If your BGE is around 400 or higher and you open the lid quickly, a rush of oxygen flows into the Egg, causing a burst flame. It can be dangerous.

Most people try and "burp" the Egg, which means you open it about an inch, and hold it there for a couple of seconds to allow a small amount of oxygen in and then you can lift with out fear of flash back.

Here is a lot more detail with videos and experiments

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/flash.htm
Thanks.

I'm familiar with it at higher temps (usually when searing) but only noticed it recently at lower like 350. Not just a flash but then the coals stay flaming until I close the lid. I could see it if I'm grilling stuff like sausage, with the grease getting lit up, but this was just chicken cutlets. I've had it a couple of years now but only noticed this lately. I was always able to lift the lid without worrying about flaming it up. Maybe I'm not letting it heat up enough.

Doing my first flank steak today. Italian dressing marinade with a little hot sauce added.
What is your cooking method? Are you treating it like other types of steaks?
From what I've read, the flank is very tender and doesn't need a sear. Also supposed to hold a marinade really well so I'm not going with a rub.

I'm gonna just do it at 500 for 3-5 minutes per side and shut it down and leave it for another 4 minutes to about 140 IT.

My favorite that I read was that the flank is great for doing it "caveman style" Just throw it right on the coals...lol I won't be doing that but it sounds like a crowd pleaser if people are around.

I have done grilling directly on the lump charcoal many times in my BGE. Specifically with flank or flat iron cuts for fajitas. No flare ups and it gives a nice little char crust. It works great and you do not get ash on the meat. You may have one or two small pieces of lump stick to it when you flip the meat over but they brush off very easily and leave no residue on the meat. Far and away my favorite method of cooking those cuts after they've been marinaded.

I have done grilling directly on the lump charcoal many times in my BGE. Specifically with flank or flat iron cuts for fajitas. No flare ups and it gives a nice little char crust. It works great and you do not get ash on the meat. You may have one or two small pieces of lump stick to it when you flip the meat over but they brush off very easily and leave no residue on the meat. Far and away my favorite method of cooking those cuts after they've been marinaded.
Hmmm, might have to reconsider.

I want to try this. Here are some questions

What is the dome temp when you put meat on coal?

How long before you flip?

Do you leave dome open or closed?

I get it as hot as possible. 700 maybe? A minute or two before flipping. Some open for me.

Burp the hell out of the egg at this temp too.

I get it as hot as possible. 700 maybe? A minute or two before flipping. Some open for me.

Oh wow that is quick, but the temp at the coals must be over a 1000 with the dome at 700.

Just one flip and then you take out and let rest?

Oh wow that is quick, but the temp at the coals must be over a 1000 with the dome at 700. Just one flip and then you take out and let rest?
Basically, yeah. I like my meat RARE.
Do you take out based on look, touch or internal temp?
Look mostly. Depends on size of steak, too.

I'm getting a little frustrated with my BGE. I can't get the thing lit and stabilized, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Basically I do the following:

Clean out the interior of the egg, making sure the vents at the bottom of the bowl are open and ashes are out.

Fill the bowl with charcoal.

Dig out a little hole in the charcoal and light one of those lighter squares.

Build a little teepee over the lighter cube.

Let everything go until there's a good flame for 5 minutes or so.

Close the egg with the bottom vent wide open and top damper off.

At this point, the temp usually spikes to 500 or so but then quickly drops back to 350. What the hell? I know people cook pizzas on these, so why does the temp drop so much with everything wide open?

When I open the egg, there are clearly burning coals at the bottom of the bowl, but the "top" charcoal is generally unlit or just smoldering.

Often the temp drops below 300 and won't go back up even with everything open. When I try to "dial in" any temp with the damper/vent, it works for a little while and then goes out.

What am I doing wrong? Too much charcoal? Not enough set up? Help me out here.

For a normal cook, I usually let my coals go 10+ min until they are embers. I think you may be closing it off too early.
When you say this, you mean the segment when the egg is open? I should let them go until they're glowing, not just alight?

I know this is all just basic chemistry, which is why I'm irritated at not being able to get this right. I know I'm making a clear error someplace.

For a normal cook, I usually let my coals go 10+ min until they are embers. I think you may be closing it off too early.
When you say this, you mean the segment when the egg is open? I should let them go until they're glowing, not just alight?

I know this is all just basic chemistry, which is why I'm irritated at not being able to get this right. I know I'm making a clear error someplace.
Relax, this is supposed to be fun! Takes time to figure #### out.

Yeah, when you light your lump, let it really glow before closing. You can get a mapp gas or propane torch, which makes the process much quicker. Also, I've heard good things about that luftlighter thing.

Thanks, MC. That's definitely not was I was doing, so I'll try that next time.

On a related note, is it possible to have too much charcoal in there, in the sense that it would restrict airflow and lower your max temp? That seems like an unlikely situation, but I thought I'd ask. You guys know way more about this than I do.

Users who are viewing this thread