Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Big Green Egg Grill

Tat

Does anyone have like a plastic matt under the nest to catch debris? We just had our yard redone and it sits on bricks and I'm hoping to find something to put under it to catch falling debris when I clean it. I also usually lean the grate against the leg as I stir up the coal and hope to prevent the bricks getting dirty from that too.

6 minutes ago, Capella said:

Delicious but it seized up a few minutes after we took it out and it got dry fast. Just no fat. Gonna brine it for a week after waster. 

You actually could see it happen?

I've never brined anything. That would solve the problem?

1 hour ago, jamny said:

You actually could see it happen?

I've never brined anything. That would solve the problem?

No but when I cut it it had that fresh, still relatively juicy look and taste. Half hour later it was dry. I did put a cup (total) of water and cider into it and it still absorbed it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Capella said:

No but when I cut it it had that fresh, still relatively juicy look and taste. Half hour later it was dry. I did put a cup (total) of water and cider into it and it still absorbed it. 

Interesting. Gonna try one next year.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:14 AM, Capella said:

Anybody here smoke a fresh ham in their egg? Going to do it Christmas Eve. It's the one thing I haven't done yet. Probably 9 pounds, was thinking 3-4 hours at 225. 

I've never done a fresh ham but have smoked a pre-cooked wet-brined (spiral cut) ham from Costco and did one again for a small party last weekend. I followed this exactly, turned out great - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/ham_on_the_grill.html

On 12/30/2016 at 3:26 PM, jamny said:

Does anyone have like a plastic matt under the nest to catch debris? We just had our yard redone and it sits on bricks and I'm hoping to find something to put under it to catch falling debris when I clean it. I also usually lean the grate against the leg as I stir up the coal and hope to prevent the bricks getting dirty from that too.

Grate rack.

Solves the grate problem for me.  Not sure about the debris catcher.

Edited by psychobillies

• 2 weeks later...

So 3-4x a year I make my own bacon. Cure it, smoke it for 2-3 hours and then the next day fry it in the cast iron. 

For my super bowl bowl party I want to use that bacon to make a bacon wrapped meatloaf. I was going to smoke it the day before, then bake it at 400 or so the day of the game. My question is...will it get crisp enough? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2017 at 1:30 PM, proninja said:

At 400 long enough to get the center up to temp, I'd bet it gets plenty crisp, but watch out for the bottom depending on what you've got it on. If it doesn't, the broiler (or the BGE set up for direct heat) will solve that problem quickly for you. 

:thumbup: excited to try this. Was thinking of not wrapping around the bottom. 

On 1/16/2017 at 1:13 PM, Capella said:

So 3-4x a year I make my own bacon. Cure it, smoke it for 2-3 hours and then the next day fry it in the cast iron. 

For my super bowl bowl party I want to use that bacon to make a bacon wrapped meatloaf. I was going to smoke it the day before, then bake it at 400 or so the day of the game. My question is...will it get crisp enough? 

Picture

well I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, but I am sure my wife is ready to divorce me. :unsure: 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Nigel said:

So what did you do, smoked the thing Sat (how long? Was it cooked through?) then let it cool overnight, and baked in oven Sunday? Looks really good. 

Thanks! I smoked the bacon on Saturday morning and let it rest over night. Sliced it Sunday and put it on the meatloaf and smoked that for about another 30 minutes, then finished in the oven. 

I underestimated how long it would take for it to cook through with the thick bacon covering it, so it didn't come out with the ribs and other food. Oh well, more for me today. 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, proninja said:

That looks great. Has me wondering how much it would cost to get a piece of granite and glue it to the top of the bench my Egg is in. 

It's been a while, but iirc, my wife looked into it for me when I was building my table and it was around $800

On 3/7/2017 at 5:47 PM, Quez said:

I just got a hand me down egg.  It has a wooden cart, and it's a little weathered. I was thinking of cleaning it up a little, and maybe getting a hole cut in a granite slab for the surface.  Has anyone done anything like this? https://goo.gl/images/Okf8je

that is cool, wonder if i could put my pbc in a similar setup...

8 minutes ago, ydoc said:

that is cool, wonder if i could put my pbc in a similar setup...

I went ahead and just sanded, stained, and replaced the rusty screws.  I want to get the thing out of the garage and out back asap.  I'm getting my kitchen redone soon, so I will probably ask a countertop guy to make me something.

On 3/7/2017 at 8:35 PM, AcerFC said:

It's been a while, but iirc, my wife looked into it for me when I was building my table and it was around $800

Any granite shop will sell you the rest of someone else's granite for half that. I bought a slab wholesale and got it cut/edged for 1k. 

8 minutes ago, Slider said:

Any granite shop will sell you the rest of someone else's granite for half that. I bought a slab wholesale and got it cut/edged for 1k. 

I got a small half bath counter top, similar size to what I need, for $125 cut & installed.  I was expecting somewhere in that ballpark for a leftover slab.

9 minutes ago, Quez said:

I got a small half bath counter top, similar size to what I need, for $125 cut & installed.  I was expecting somewhere in that ballpark for a leftover slab.

Yep I got a full slab. I'm guessing a piece like that pic should be 250 tops. They have 0 use for leftover stuff.

On 3/8/2017 at 10:11 PM, Quez said:

Are there any must have accessories I need to get?

The Adjustable Rig is something I have always wanted. I have the swing grate, which is perfect for doubling the size of the cook space, but if I could do it over I would grab the adjustable rig. https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg

After moving last year, both of my eggs apart in the basement and not being used. I really need to build some sort of patio back there to get them going. Wife won't let me put the medium on the porch. 

• Like 1

Ok almost nothing I do has precise measurements so you will have to take some of the spices with a literal grain of salt. 

You start off basically making corned beef. I took a 5 pound brisket and submerged it in 3 quarts of water. To get there I heated up brine that considered or the water, one cup of kosher salt and a 1/4 cup of the pink curing salt. I added a decent amount of sugar and let it dissolve. Then probably 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds and pickling spices -- they're actually just called pickling spices. I put ground mustard, onion powder, fresh garlic and a few shakes of Lawry's seasoning salt in it. Let all that come to boil, then cool it down, then dunk the meat in it. I let mine sit in the fridge for 5 days. 

Sometimes when I make my bacon I feel like it's a little too salty afterwards. So this time knowing there was a lot of salt in the brine, I took the meat out, rinsed out the container and then dunked it in some water for 40 minutes. I don't know if this worked or what, but I can tell you the meat wasn't overly salted at all, so I will keep doing it. 

Dried it all off, then made the rub. I always put a tablespoon of pepper for every pound of brisket, so 5 tbls here. I then put 3 tablespoons of ground coriander, 2 tbls of paprika, then hearty shakes of onion powder, garlic powder and one shake of ground mustard. I didn't add any salt since it's already in the meat. I let the rub set on it for 2 nights. 

I then smoked it (6 hours) sliced it and there you go. I was going to let it rest and then steam it, but we were hungry so I just sliced it. We'll try that next time. 

It's a lot of work but worth it!

Edited by Capella
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Capella said:

:thumbup: I also made my own pickles last week. 

that I've done.  brisket, ribs, shoulder, steaks, burgers, pizzas, roasted tons of veggies, planked fish, etc......

just never made a corned beef or pastrami.  Stoked to try it.

Edited by MarvinTScamper

4 hours ago, Capella said:

Ok almost nothing I do has precise measurements so you will have to take some of the spices with a literal grain of salt. 

You start off basically making corned beef. I took a 5 pound brisket and submerged it in 3 quarts of water. To get there I heated up brine that considered or the water, one cup of kosher salt and a 1/4 cup of the pink curing salt. I added a decent amount of sugar and let it dissolve. Then probably 3 tablespoons of coriander seeds and pickling spices -- they're actually just called pickling spices. I put ground mustard, onion powder, fresh garlic and a few shakes of Lawry's seasoning salt in it. Let all that come to boil, then cool it down, then dunk the meat in it. I let mine sit in the fridge for 5 days. 

Sometimes when I make my bacon I feel like it's a little too salty afterwards. So this time knowing there was a lot of salt in the brine, I took the meat out, rinsed out the container and then dunked it in some water for 40 minutes. I don't know if this worked or what, but I can tell you the meat wasn't overly salted at all, so I will keep doing it. 

Dried it all off, then made the rub. I always put a tablespoon of pepper for every pound of brisket, so 5 tbls here. I then put 3 tablespoons of ground coriander, 2 tbls of paprika, then hearty shakes of onion powder, garlic powder and one shake of ground mustard. I didn't add any salt since it's already in the meat. I let the rub set on it for 2 nights. 

I then smoked it (6 hours) sliced it and there you go. I was going to let it rest and then steam it, but we were hungry so I just sliced it. We'll try that next time. 

It's a lot of work but worth it!

Lets see how much time you have on your hands with a new addition. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just brought home an XL Big Green Egg to go with my large Kamodo Joe.  We recently moved back near family, and I'm generally cooking for extended family about once a week now.  I desperately needed the extra space.  My local hardware store ran a 15% off ad, and I just couldn't pass up $150 worth of savings.  rI guess my first cook on it will be my yearly Easter stuffed pork tenderloin.  I'll probably get it running the next couple of days to try to get a gauge of temperatures. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't do this as often as I used to but it still feels great.

Yesterday I nuked my Egg at 750 for almost 2 hours.

Today I scraped and vacuumed every last piece of ash out of it, removing every piece of the egg along the way to clean.

Then I put everything back, filled it fresh with lump.

Then I rechecked the tightness of all the screws/bolts.

Lastly I calibrated the temperature gauge.

Good to go!!

• Like 5

19 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I don't do this as often as I used to but it still feels great.

Yesterday I nuked my Egg at 750 for almost 2 hours.

Today I scraped and vacuumed every last piece of ash out of it, removing every piece of the egg along the way to clean.

Then I put everything back, filled it fresh with lump.

Then I rechecked the tightness of all the screws/bolts.

Lastly I calibrated the temperature gauge.

Good to go!!

Is this important to do?   I've never done it. 

2 hours ago, MarvinTScamper said:

Is this important to do?   I've never done it. 

tightening the bolts and keeping the gauge calibrated are very very important.

How clean you like your Egg is up to the individual.  I do find temperature control, and speed of heating up Egg both improve with a clean Egg.

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think I am on year 12 (maybe 13?) of mine and still enjoy every cook.  I think this thing will be with me for life.

You're one of the main reasons I got one and it's one of my favorite possessions.

Doing my high heat clean today. I usually do it once a year. I also throw my daisy wheel in and oil it down afterwards.

• Like 1