What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (1 Viewer)

Doing my high heat clean today. I usually do it once a year. I also throw my daisy wheel in and oil it down afterwards.
Can you explain more on the bold?  What type of oil do you use after nuking it?  Mine is starting to look its age and I wonder if this is a step I have been missing to keep the wheel looking a little fresher.

Can you explain more on the bold?  What type of oil do you use after nuking it?  Mine is starting to look its age and I wonder if this is a step I have been missing to keep the wheel looking a little fresher.
Just like seasoning a cast iron pan, I just coat it with some cooking oil after the high heat clean. Comes out almost like new.

I think I probably am going to spring for a new front grate, mine is showing some age.  I have a rain cover now which will keep stuff in better shape.  

Probably time to put a new gasket on, and do a deep clan and burnout as well.  It's that time of year

Over the years mine has developed a bit of an underbite that I've never quite been able to pull out.  Still keeps a good seal so just going to ignore it.

Mine has an underbite too but I haven't noticed any affect on it. Also need to replace my gasket, although I haven't noticed any affect on my que with that either. 

MarvinTScamper said:
I've had mine for 15 yrs.  A BGE will absolutely change the way people think about your BBQ.  Seriously, it's hard to **** this up
I got mine in 2009 when we bought a new home. It was a combination housewarming/Father's Day/early birthday present. I'm an at-home dad and I do all the cooking. My wife wasn't too into the purchase of the BGE for how much it was, but she is a convert now. A few years ago, she said to me, "One of these days you'll have to show me how to use it." I said, "No way. If I do that, you'll have no reason to keep me around anymore."

I need to do some maintenance I guess. Have never done a "clean burn" in 10+ years of ownership and haven't had any felt gasket left for as long as I can remember, at least 6-7 years. I have quite a build-up of black flaky stuff on the inside of the dome, but its never concerned me. A small section of the green enamel on my dome chipped or flaked off about 5 or 6 years ago. I emailed pics to BGE and they sent me a new dome no questions asked. The new dome still sits on a shelf in my garage.

My cousin in Florida introduced me to a new way of starting his charcoal last week. Doubt I'll use it, but it was pretty cool. He uses a Weber chimney just like I do. Rather than stuffing it with newspaper and lighting it the normal way, he puts the chimney on top of his propane burner - the Bayou Classic kind. It worked pretty well.

@NewlyRetired

Is this normal for the egg to be chipping inside like this. You can see, it's not just in one place. We talked about it in here a while ago, but finally got around to pics. 

http://imgur.com/a/8PeIY

Eta. There are 4 pics in total. 
Thank you for the pics.

This is not common but it does occur.  This is not the flaking I was referring to earlier, yours is different.

Your type of chipping can occur due to frost heaves if for some reason water is getting in your egg.  The water can then find a way into tiny pours in the ceramic (the inside is not coated the same way the outside is which is protected from water).  If the water does get in the pour, then it can freeze, expand and pop off chips.

Again this is not common but I have seen happen.  Is your Egg covered in the winter?

The good news is that this does not affect the function of the Egg at all.

Hi my name is Cappy and I have absolutely no idea how to cut brisket. I ruin a delicious brisket every time my knife hits it. 

Hi my name is Cappy and I have absolutely no idea how to cut brisket. I ruin a delicious brisket every time my knife hits it. 
We borrowed an electric slicer from my MIL. My mind was blown by how awesome it is. I never want to use a knife again. Would think brisket would be perfect for it

We borrowed an electric slicer from my MIL. My mind was blown by how awesome it is. I never want to use a knife again. Would think brisket would be perfect for it
I bought a deli meat slicer when I made pastrami and totally brain farted this weekend and forgot I had it. :sadbanana:  

The texture difference is a big deal. And it is nice to have your main dish done well before the sides even need to be started. Makes for a low stress way to entertain. 
We had 96-year-old grandma over on sunday and she had to eat. Without getting up at 3 am I just didn't have time. It barely rested 45-minutes. 

I'll extend it out this weekend. Have more time. 

I need to do some maintenance I guess. Have never done a "clean burn" in 10+ years of ownership and haven't had any felt gasket left for as long as I can remember, at least 6-7 years. I have quite a build-up of black flaky stuff on the inside of the dome, but its never concerned me. A small section of the green enamel on my dome chipped or flaked off about 5 or 6 years ago. I emailed pics to BGE and they sent me a new dome no questions asked. The new dome still sits on a shelf in my garage.

My cousin in Florida introduced me to a new way of starting his charcoal last week. Doubt I'll use it, but it was pretty cool. He uses a Weber chimney just like I do. Rather than stuffing it with newspaper and lighting it the normal way, he puts the chimney on top of his propane burner - the Bayou Classic kind. It worked pretty well.
Every time we have bacon I throw paper towels in to sop up the fat then I fold it up into a square and put in the freezer.  Then when I need to light my grill I take one or two of the bacon fat squares, surround them with lump charcoal and light.  Works great and I get use from the bacon fat.

I do 225 for longer when I have time because the bark seems way better when I cook for longer 
I haven't found this to be true at all.  225 in the egg doesn't seem to promote enough convection to make a bark.  

I've found a happy medium for large cuts where I start at 190 for 2 hrs, then jump to 275-300 until the stall breaks.  

If you start at 275-300 range then you don't really have enough time to get any smoke past the outer 1/4 inch.

I do 225 for longer when I have time because the bark seems way better when I cook for longer 
I haven't found this to be true at all.  225 in the egg doesn't seem to promote enough convection to make a bark.  

I've found a happy medium for large cuts where I start at 190 for 2 hrs, then jump to 275-300 until the stall breaks.  

If you start at 275-300 range then you don't really have enough time to get any smoke past the outer 1/4 inch.

Full disclosure: I use a traeger mostly  these days and get way better bark (with a less intense smoke flavor) than the egg. 
Well the weakness of the egg (Large) is that the huge cuts like a brisket interfere with the convection aspects.   This results in all the smoke and air getting hung up in the top of the egg.  

Nobody has really offered a great solution.  One that I've had more success with is running lower for a few hours, and not filling the fire box all the way up.  If you use the stock rigs I just do not think it's possible to get an offset quality brisket.  I think you have to have the grate below the donut line with the deflector dead on the box line.

Yes, 10000000 people will say I'm nuts, but when I have to get a brisket that drops panties I'm not going to go to the egg.  

great...I still need the setter to get the "convection oven" aspects that I love about slow cooking
I got the spider to improve this.  The plate setter is not ideal for long term convection.  The three legs disturb air flow and the plate is far too high up in the stack and heating is uneven across the inner 6 inches.  I'd never consider using the plate setter again, it's for noobs.  

Using a spider gives you a full concentric circle at the box line for larger cooks, then of course with the rig you can stack 3 fully loaded grates for smaller stuff, and even can manage a grate of shoulders and stack stuff on top of it.    If you know what you plan on cooking and know what you want you can get it done exactly how you like it but the stock rigs are decent enough too.  It cost like 20 more bucks to get the slots cut so I could squeeze 3 grates in.

I got the spider to improve this.  The plate setter is not ideal for long term convection.  The three legs disturb air flow and the plate is far too high up in the stack and heating is uneven across the inner 6 inches.  I'd never consider using the plate setter again, it's for noobs.  

Using a spider gives you a full concentric circle at the box line for larger cooks, then of course with the rig you can stack 3 fully loaded grates for smaller stuff, and even can manage a grate of shoulders and stack stuff on top of it.    If you know what you plan on cooking and know what you want you can get it done exactly how you like it but the stock rigs are decent enough too.  It cost like 20 more bucks to get the slots cut so I could squeeze 3 grates in.
link?  I'm curious about this, and would probably buy one.

but to be clear, I'm rarely (ever?) disappointed with my results.  Maybe I improve on that though.

Last edited by a moderator:
good lord...and you're giving BGE advice? 
I have not used the plate setter myself  in many years outside of pizza (since the round plate setter works well for that).

When not making pizza, I always use this.  It was recommended in this thread years ago, and I love it.   It fits so much better for some of the cut I do, like ribs and the flexibility is fantastic in terms of being able to do multi level cooks or simply change your height of your cook.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg/products/large-adjustable-rig-r-and-b-oval-combo-bge

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not used the plate setter myself  in many years outside of pizza (since the round plate setter works well for that).

When not making pizza, I always use this.  It was recommended in this thread years ago, and I love it.   It fits so much better for some of the cut I do, like ribs and the flexibility is fantastic in terms of being able to do multi level cooks or simply change your height of your cook.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/shop-large-adjustable-rig-for-large-big-green-egg/products/large-adjustable-rig-r-and-b-oval-combo-bge
That's pretty badass. I need to get one, but I'm in between ceramic cookers right now. I think I'm going to switch brands here soon. 

yeah, and at $180, it better be #######ed badass
it is well worth in my opinion.  It is probably the most recommended product ever in this thread.  A bunch of have them and love them.  Anyone who is a new buyer, I would always say to not bother paying for the plate setter and get the R&B combo instead.

That's pretty badass. I need to get one, but I'm in between ceramic cookers right now. I think I'm going to switch brands here soon. 
That is what I have as well. Its awesome. I have two racks on there right now. Take em out of foil in ten minutes. 

Users who are viewing this thread