Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Big Green Egg Grill

Tat

For some reason they gave me an extra kit with mine (I think by accident basically a duplicate accessory kit with the grate, bands, handle, etc)

anyway it has 2 different hinge styles, I used the one that came  with the egg but later realized they were different 

anyone know which one is the better band/hinge kit?

https://biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/hinge-band-handle-assembly-800sq__22331.1572455632.1280.1280.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ylclz4alL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

43 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Which one did you buy? I need to do this. I’ve been working with zero felt for years now. 

Got the LavaLock one off of Amazon. Really good reviews, only thing I kind of didn’t like was the tape side didn’t seem very sticky. We’ll see if that matters...

• Thanks 1

First stab at baby backs on the new BGE

https://imgur.com/gallery/HXncd4H

Think I overcooked slightly, ~4.5 hours but I’m still learning the temps so I was fluctuating between 225-275.  I’d say I finally got them stabilized around 235-240 the last few hours

they basically fell apart when I picked them up, so perfect for the wife but I like them a bit firmer

so much easier than my old smokers though, never had to reload charcoal and only had to play with the vents here and there to get temps where I wanted

• Like 4

Question though, how do you get consistent smoke?  I used to add a chunk of wood every hour or so, but the BGE seems pretty tough to reload.  Or do you just add a few pieces and since you get a slower burn on your fuel it works out?

29 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

Question though, how do you get consistent smoke?  I used to add a chunk of wood every hour or so, but the BGE seems pretty tough to reload.  Or do you just add a few pieces and since you get a slower burn on your fuel it works out?

It's a bit of a trick.  At times I've just taken to using shredded wood. Drop around the outside and sort of scooch in with the ash tool.  

9 minutes ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I only add mine at the beginning, usually 2-3 chunks.  Meat typically only takes smoke some what early in the cooking process so adding wood through out the whole cook sometimes does not make a lot of difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Lambskin said:

I’ve never reloaded. I pile a hearty amount of hardwood lump depending on how long I am planning to cook and it always works out. One time a brisket smoke petered out around 9 am but I just finished it in the oven. Had 9 hours of smoke already so it was set in that department. 

Edited by Capella

13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I only add mine at the beginning, usually 2-3 chunks.  Meat typically only takes smoke some what early in the cooking process so adding wood through out the whole cook sometimes does not make a lot of difference.

For ribs I'm not so sure.  Roasts. Yeah. No need to reload. 

27 minutes ago, culdeus said:

For ribs I'm not so sure.  Roasts. Yeah. No need to reload. 

A lot comes down to personal taste as well.

If you keep the cut of meat moist, it can take on smoke but there is a thing as too much smoke in the meat for some people. 

For ribs, since I used a modified 3-2-1 method, once the meat is wrapped in foil, adding smoke does not really do anything so I usually only worry about the first phase of rib cooking.  Same goes for pork shoulder.

17 minutes ago, Bluto Blutarsky said:

what wireless thermometers are you guys using? looking to upgrade from my Weber iGrill 

I have this one, got it from Amazon, but it looks like it might be discontinued. No complaints, it works really well and has good range on wifi.

• Thanks 1

On 5/22/2020 at 7:54 PM, Dan Lambskin said:

For some reason they gave me an extra kit with mine (I think by accident basically a duplicate accessory kit with the grate, bands, handle, etc)

anyway it has 2 different hinge styles, I used the one that came  with the egg but later realized they were different 

anyone know which one is the better band/hinge kit?

https://biggreenegg.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/hinge-band-handle-assembly-800sq__22331.1572455632.1280.1280.jpg

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Ylclz4alL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

I have had and used both on my Large.  Found the 2nd option with the spring loaded hinges much nicer.  Also kept alignment better.

• Thanks 1

Fired the Akorn up in anger for the first time about an hour ago.  Locked in at 225 per the dome dial, but infrared says 250 for some baked potatoes and pork tenderloin.  Perfect 75 degree day here, plenty of time for a couple Dogfishead as things progress. 

We're in business!    

ETA: my pizza stone/deflector is the wrong size though -- doesn't fit the shelving.  But still wedged it in pretty solid and it seems to be doing the trick.

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz
  • Like 1

Stupid question I'm having trouble finding the answer to on the Internet.  My dome thermometer is golden in terms of measuring the air/dome temp.  Like within a degree of the handheld I'm using.  255 or so.

The grate is like ~40-45 degrees higher.  295-300.

I realize that it doesn't really make much of a difference to a schlub like myself -- I'm going to have good meat either way if I take it off at the right time -- but which of these should I care about more for meat sitting on the grill?

2 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Stupid question I'm having trouble finding the answer to on the Internet.  My dome thermometer is golden in terms of measuring the air/dome temp.  Like within a degree of the handheld I'm using.  255 or so.

The grate is like ~40-45 degrees higher.  295-300.

I realize that it doesn't really make much of a difference to a schlub like myself -- I'm going to have good meat either way if I take it off at the right time -- but which of these should I care about more for meat sitting on the grill?

I just use an extra probe and set it on the grill like this and that’s the temp I go by. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rookie mistake:  I trusted the recipes and waited too long to check the temp.  Not ruined, but medium-wellish.  I can see why people do the perma probe now.

Plus side... the baked potatoes were perfect.

Also plus side, one of my kids loves the pork and wants to have it all the time.  I cried a little.

Also, also, plus side... there's a lot of time for beer drinking at 250.

• Like 1

1st beer chicken on the akorn and it turned out great......

only issue im having is temp control....tough to keep it at same temp for long time....I have to keep going out and adjusting or tweaking.  Any recs to help on that?  I use a bluetooth grate thermometer.

35 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

1st beer chicken on the akorn and it turned out great......

only issue im having is temp control....tough to keep it at same temp for long time....I have to keep going out and adjusting or tweaking.  Any recs to help on that?  I use a bluetooth grate thermometer.

yeah, akorn is finicky due to it being a little leaky and not as well insulated as other kamados.  I highly reccommend the tip top temp ..attach it with plate hangers and it's a perfect temp fix for smoking that is easily removed for high heat steaks and pizzas

21 hours ago, Morton Muffley said:

yeah, akorn is finicky due to it being a little leaky and not as well insulated as other kamados.  I highly reccommend the tip top temp ..attach it with plate hangers and it's a perfect temp fix for smoking that is easily removed for high heat steaks and pizzas

thx for the rec....figured akorn was too good to be true....price point is fantastic and more or less does the job well but the temp control is frustrating - amazon is out of these but ill check around - i assume the more expensive BGE hold the temp better?  Upgrade may be in order!  

Here is today's cook:

St Louis Ribs

* Prepare (membrane removed etc), rub them with spice mixture and place in fridge to stay cold (cold helps the look of the smoke ring)

* Egg set at 275 for the duration of the cook

* Plum wood chunks (2) in the Egg after it comes to temp.

* Wait for smoke to become light in color (some say it is blue but my eyes can't see it)

* Use a 2-2-1 method.  Start with 2 hours unwrapped

* At the 1 hour mark, spray with liquid (I use apple juice but you can use anything, even just water)

* At the 2 hour mark, pull ribs, and coat in honey and wrap (meat side down) in foil.  I put a tiny amount of apple juice in the foil to help start the steaming.

* After 2 hours are up, carefully remove the ribs (foil will be full of hot liquid).

* Cook for 30 more minutes and then start glazing the BBQ sauce (I have some pre made sitting in my fridge that I will heat on stove).

* 30 minutes later, pull ribs, and let rest for a short amount of time.  Turn over so meat side down, and then cut.  Touch up with BBQ sauce as needed

* feast

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Kiddnets said:

thx for the rec....figured akorn was too good to be true....price point is fantastic and more or less does the job well but the temp control is frustrating - amazon is out of these but ill check around - i assume the more expensive BGE hold the temp better?  Upgrade may be in order!  

"too good to be true" isn't the way I see it, more like "too inexpensive to be perfect" :)

other drawbacks of the akorn are that the felt will wear out sooner rather than later (or maybe I just drove the pizza temp too high - which I definitely did) and several of the metal sections (bottom tray) will rust.  Still, I got a very productive ten years out of mine before upgrading to the big joe kamado.  

check out this video to see how the tip top temp control works.  I used mine for a few years and with great success.  Good luck

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

other drawbacks of the akorn are that the felt will wear out sooner rather than later (or maybe I just drove the pizza temp too high - which I definitely did)

From what I understand, very high temp hurts all gaskets, whether on Akorn, Egg or Kamado Joe. 

Maybe the Akorn has a cheaper version of the gasket material?

Edited by NewlyRetired

21 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

"too good to be true" isn't the way I see it, more like "too inexpensive to be perfect" :)

other drawbacks of the akorn are that the felt will wear out sooner rather than later (or maybe I just drove the pizza temp too high - which I definitely did) and several of the metal sections (bottom tray) will rust.  Still, I got a very productive ten years out of mine before upgrading to the big joe kamado.  

check out this video to see how the tip top temp control works.  I used mine for a few years and with great success.  Good luck

good video - may give this a try.....only concern is i use grate temp and this is the top of the dome which I find is wildly different.....which temp do you guys use?  

54 minutes ago, Kiddnets said:

good video - may give this a try.....only concern is i use grate temp and this is the top of the dome which I find is wildly different.....which temp do you guys use?  

I use grate temp.  This let's you dial in the right temp via control on the top.  The settings on the tip top temp don't relate to degrees.  They are numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.  So they don't mean anything more than the numbers on the top of a kamado joe.  That help?

Apologies to the BGE peeps for my recent posts discussing the akorn and kamado joe, BUT fwiw the tip top temp control works on the BGE as well.  Just seems like it isn't as necessary given how stable the temps.  Anyway, felt guilty so thought I'd acknowledge my hijack and add this relevant info :)

Edited by Morton Muffley
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Morton Muffley said:

I use grate temp.  This let's you dial in the right temp via control on the top.  The settings on the tip top temp don't relate to degrees.  They are numbers 1, 2, 3, etc.  So they don't mean anything more than the numbers on the top of a kamado joe.  That help?

Apologies to the BGE peeps for my recent posts discussing the akorn and kamado joe, BUT fwiw the tip top temp control works on the BGE as well.  Just seems like it isn't as necessary given how stable the temps.  Anyway, felt guilty so thought I'd acknowledge my hijack and add this relevant info :)

hx - very helpful....didnt mean to hijack either - figured akorn is part of BGE family!  Def looking to upgrade to the big time in future! Love these ceramic smokers!  

3 hours ago, Morton Muffley said:

I think I'm gonna order one of these next week. Amazon is out of stock but the Tip Top website has em, as well as the plate holders.

Edited by Wingnut

On 5/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Thanks WN.

The two things I know I want to do are a pork butt and homemade naan, and the pork is #1 on my list -- so I've been trying to read up on the low and slow.  Seems like finding the right bottom/top airflow settings that thread the needle between getting the temps too high (and having to wait forever for it to cool) and having the fire go out is not simple until you've done it a few times.

ETA:  I'm pretty methodical with this kind of stuff, so this was appealing  to me.  Posting it here so I can find it again and in case it's useful to anyone else:

On 5/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, Morton Muffley said:

Welcome.  I did the same thing about ten years ago when they first came out.  Bang for the buck on these is fantastic.  On the downside, they can be hard to maintain low temps.  I have had alot of success with the tip top temp regulator (if you buy this you can use a placesetter to make it temporary).  I know other owners have taken other approaches to sealing up (better gasket?) the ash pan, etc. as the issue seems to be it is a bit leaky - which is a problem holding low temps as too much oxygen gets pulled in.   Regardless, you will adjust and will be making better BBQ than anything you can get in any restaurant.  Enjoy!

I haven't read this entire thread, so perhaps this was addressed elsewhere, or maybe I'm simply repeating things that are common knowledge. I've had my large BGE for about 12 years and have done dozens of overnight cooks with pork shoulders where I've closed the lid and then opened it 16-18 hours later without having to add fuel or restart the fire. I've found that the single-most important thing is how you arrange the coals. I always use lump, and when I do burgers or small cooks and I dump out the lump into the Egg, I save the really large chunks and put them in a bin. When I want to do an overnight cook, I will take everything out of the Egg and make sure the inside is free of all ash. Then I put everything back in and build the fire. I use the really large coal chunks as the base, fitting the pieces together, kind of Tetris-like. Those large pieces take a long time to burn through and break apart at low temps, but, more importantly, they allow air flow. I stack a few layers of those really big pieces, then fill in the top with smaller pieces. After lighting the lump, I don't let it get too hot before closing the vents down. We're fortunate to have a large yard, so I don't have to worry about lack of air flow around the grill itself. (If you have it on a small enclosed patio, which I've had before, it's more problematic to maintain low temps.) I've been able to smoke at around 210-225 degrees usually. I do use a probe for overnight cooks, and even though I've done this a bunch of times, I'm always paranoid that the fire has gone out and will wake up periodically during the night to check the probe temp. However, aside from the first few times I've done this, the fire has never gone out. I'm always amazed, every time. 

Like I said, hopefully this isn't repeating things that have already been addressed. The first time it was pointed out to me about how to arrange the lump was years and years ago and I read it somewhere online, so maybe it'll be useful for new folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Morton Muffley said:

I just replaced the gasket in my Akorn, it was loong over due. Iirc, it failed pretty early on too. 

love the grill otherwise. Excellent entry level grill for the money

• Like 2

20 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

From what I understand, very high temp hurts all gaskets, whether on Akorn, Egg or Kamado Joe. 

Maybe the Akorn has a cheaper version of the gasket material?

I fried my first BGE gasket on my third or fourth cook by cooking pizza at 800 degrees - I used the adjustable rig from the CGS, and I guess the metal being right there at gasket level at that high a temp is not desirable.

5 hours ago, jwb said:

I fried my first BGE gasket on my third or fourth cook by cooking pizza at 800 degrees - I used the adjustable rig from the CGS, and I guess the metal being right there at gasket level at that high a temp is not desirable.

There are lots of theories on how to not blow your gasket out cooking at high temps. The one that I tend to believe is that you should be doing super high temps only with a plate setter/deflector in the mix.  

Knock on ceramic, I've been ok since using that rule.  I have doubts that it will last long term, however.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Doing my first long smoke today -- 8lb pork shoulder.  So far, so good.  Harder to control the temp for this long, it's been up and down a bit, but haven't lost it yet.  Should be wrapping it here in next 30-60 mins.

Curious for taeks:  does spritzing actually do anything?

I’ve done both. Can’t say I really notice a difference 

15 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Doing my first long smoke today -- 8lb pork shoulder.  So far, so good.  Harder to control the temp for this long, it's been up and down a bit, but haven't lost it yet.  Should be wrapping it here in next 30-60 mins.

Curious for taeks:  does spritzing actually do anything?

Give this a read.  Lots of info here

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/guide-to-mopping-and-spritzing-barbecue/

• Thanks 1