What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Big Green Egg Grill (2 Viewers)

I'd love to see some pics of the tables some of you are building. It's been my summer project for three years in a row - might finally get around to building one this summer. Mine sits outdoors, uncovered, year round here in Wisconsin and rarely goes more than a week or two without use. This time of year it is my constant companion.
There are so many different styles and choices

My link

Mine is "hatching" Friday afternoon.

Got a Large "kit"

-Stand

-Plate

-ash tool

-Side tables

-40#charcoal

-starters

For 999 setup at the house.

It's about as good a deal I could find.

God bless NFL Teasers, and pigs.

ETA: The long term plan is to set it up on masonry. I just haven't decided on the style and location.

ETA2: Suggestions on what to do first? I see some say cook high heat to "clean" it then put a pork butt in?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is "hatching" Friday afternoon.

Got a Large "kit"

-Stand

-Plate

-ash tool

-Side tables

-40#charcoal

-starters

For 999 setup at the house.

ETA2: Suggestions on what to do first? I see some say cook high heat to "clean" it then put a pork butt in?
First, awesome deal, congrats! Is the charcoal lump?

Do NOT perform a high heat on it first. That can weaken the glue on the gaskets which is the main failure item on the Eggs

I would not go above 400 until the 3rd or 4th cook. The first thing I would recommend cooking is a spatchcock chicken, see below for technique.

My link

I believe the charcoal is Green Egg label. I plan on using HEB label after I run out of this.
Here is an excellent resource for researching lump charcoal.My link
HEB isn't on this list. It is widely considered to be the best you can get in Texas, and perhaps anywhere. It has performed above BGE lump in similar testing criteria to this link. That's a good resource thanks.ETA: HEB is mesquite lump.

I believe the charcoal is Green Egg label. I plan on using HEB label after I run out of this.
HEB isn't on this list. It is widely considered to be the best you can get in Texas, and perhaps anywhere. It has performed above BGE lump in similar testing criteria to this link. That's a good resource thanks.
Cool! I am not familiar with HEB. Sounds great!You may know that BGE lump is not that we'll thought of. Came in 41st in a ranking of lump by users

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

HEB isn't on this list. It is widely considered to be the best you can get in Texas, and perhaps anywhere. It has performed above BGE lump in similar testing criteria to this link. That's a good resource thanks.
Cool! I am not familiar with HEB. Sounds great!You may know that BGE lump is not that we'll thought of. Came in 41st in a ranking of lump by users

Yeah, this is a nice site. The thing I like about HEB brand is that it's mesquite. Which usually means no scrap and the wood is a weed so I don't feel so bad about lighting it on fire. That, and I grew up having basically everything I cooked over raw mesquite from trees cut down for lumber so the flavor add to it is nice.

I have to get my #### together to cook for opening day beisbol. Considering trying to smoke a rabbit along with a mess of other gods plants and creatures :porked: .

Yeah, this is a nice site. The thing I like about HEB brand is that it's mesquite. Which usually means no scrap and the wood is a weed so I don't feel so bad about lighting it on fire. That, and I grew up having basically everything I cooked over raw mesquite from trees cut down for lumber so the flavor add to it is nice.

I have to get my #### together to cook for opening day beisbol. Considering trying to smoke a rabbit along with a mess of other gods plants and creatures :porked: .
I have never tried to smoke a rabbit. My daughter just got one for a pet so that won't be happening any time soon. Let us know what you break your cherry with cooking wise. Start with something simple so you can get the feel for temp control which while not hard, still takes a bit of time to get used to.

The replacement base for my large BGE finally came in. I should be grilling again soon. With nice weather approaching, a new place, and a decent outdoor space, I'm pumped for what's to come.

First order of business may be to spatchcock (yes, that's what it's called) a chicken. Easily the best chicken I've ever had, especially with some Dizzy Pig rubs.

The replacement base for my large BGE finally came in. I should be grilling again soon. With nice weather approaching, a new place, and a decent outdoor space, I'm pumped for what's to come.First order of business may be to spatchcock (yes, that's what it's called) a chicken. Easily the best chicken I've ever had, especially with some Dizzy Pig rubs.
Cool. You will see spatchcock chicken mentioned numerous times in this thread. For brand new users, I feel it is the perfect item to start cooking on the BGE for the following reasons1) it is pretty easy to prepare2) it only cooks at 350 for an hour so it won't nuke your brand new gaskets that benefit from a slower build to high temps3) 350 is a very easy temp to hit and maintain giving a new user some confidence in how to manage the fire. The only slight downside is that this technique needs a raised grill.

I think I'm going with a ham and two chickens for Easter Sunday. Any ideas for sides I could smoke along with them? I've pretty much been a meat only guy on the BGE to date. (since Jan)

:excited:

this thing is awesome.

Only complaint so far is that my wife feels that roasted corn on it tastes "gassy"

'culdeus said:
this thing is awesome. Only complaint so far is that my wife feels that roasted corn on it tastes "gassy"
How do you light your lump?
Good question. Also, let your fire get settled before throwing food on it. You should never be using starter fluid, but in case you did, let the fire burn off most of that crap taste.

'culdeus said:
this thing is awesome. Only complaint so far is that my wife feels that roasted corn on it tastes "gassy"
Good question. Also, let your fire get settled before throwing food on it. You should never be using starter fluid, but in case you did, let the fire burn off most of that crap taste.
Those little wax cubes. Once I'm out of those I'm just going to use a torch.

'culdeus said:
The electric starter is pretty awesome.

'culdeus said:
Those electric heat things are $10 at WalMart. I wrecked my $30 BGE brand one within about a month by leaving it in too long, but for $10 a pop I don't care if a ruin them every few months through sloth.

'culdeus said:
Those electric heat things are $10 at WalMart. I wrecked my $30 BGE brand one within about a month by leaving it in too long, but for $10 a pop I don't care if a ruin them every few months through sloth.
I have tried numerous methods and the electric heat starter is the best. If for some reason power is out I just go old school and soak paper towels in oil, twist them together and light the ends. Works pretty good.

'culdeus said:
I have tried numerous methods and the electric heat starter is the best. If for some reason power is out I just go old school and soak paper towels in oil, twist them together and light the ends. Works pretty good.
Yeah, I keep some of those parafin/sawdust cube deals for when disaster strikes.

Uh, yeah. used both for the first time last weekend. According to the box, the electric lighter gets to 1000 degrees in 7 minutes. If you leave it on longer it will get to 2000 degrees and either explode or burn right through the cast iron grate. Surprisingly neither happened to me.I also have :lmao: at all of the charcoal options. I'm sure it makes some difference but I have to think it is negligible. I would argue that the quality of the meat is MUCH more important. I'm seriously in heaven out here in the "country" now. There is a farm up the street that sells fresh eggs and fresh, grass fed, free range beef from right there on their farm. The hamburger is nothing like I've ever tasted before. It is better than most steaks I've ever had. I can't wait to make the tenderloins on the BGE. I need to talk to them about buying a 1/4 cow or somethings.

this thing is awesome.

Only complaint so far is that my wife feels that roasted corn on it tastes "gassy"
Uh, yeah. used both for the first time last weekend. According to the box, the electric lighter gets to 1000 degrees in 7 minutes. If you leave it on longer it will get to 2000 degrees and either explode or burn right through the cast iron grate. Surprisingly neither happened to me.I also have :lmao: at all of the charcoal options. I'm sure it makes some difference but I have to think it is negligible. I would argue that the quality of the meat is MUCH more important. I'm seriously in heaven out here in the "country" now. There is a farm up the street that sells fresh eggs and fresh, grass fed, free range beef from right there on their farm. The hamburger is nothing like I've ever tasted before. It is better than most steaks I've ever had. I can't wait to make the tenderloins on the BGE. I need to talk to them about buying a 1/4 cow or somethings.
Yeah, I'm starting to link into this and a big-### freezer as well. :excited:

Uh, yeah. used both for the first time last weekend. According to the box, the electric lighter gets to 1000 degrees in 7 minutes. If you leave it on longer it will get to 2000 degrees and either explode or burn right through the cast iron grate. Surprisingly neither happened to me.I also have :lmao: at all of the charcoal options. I'm sure it makes some difference but I have to think it is negligible. I would argue that the quality of the meat is MUCH more important.
I am sure most of the lump coal is relatively the same but if read through the reviews you can see why some stand out and some are considered crap.

Uh, yeah. used both for the first time last weekend. According to the box, the electric lighter gets to 1000 degrees in 7 minutes. If you leave it on longer it will get to 2000 degrees and either explode or burn right through the cast iron grate. Surprisingly neither happened to me.I also have :lmao: at all of the charcoal options. I'm sure it makes some difference but I have to think it is negligible. I would argue that the quality of the meat is MUCH more important.
I am sure most of the lump coal is relatively the same but if read through the reviews you can see why some stand out and some are considered crap.
I've definitely bought some crap bags. I like Royal Oak and it's relatively cheap. I found a butcher near my work that will give me the big (~20lb?) Royal Oak bags for $9 a pop...that's seems pretty solid to me.

I've definitely bought some crap bags. I like Royal Oak and it's relatively cheap. I found a butcher near my work that will give me the big (~20lb?) Royal Oak bags for $9 a pop...that's seems pretty solid to me.
That is a good price.

this thing is awesome.

I've just been buying whatever is convenient for 20 years or so now. I guess I've just been lucky. Also, I think the tower method of lighting the coals is still the best. I'm really worried one of my kids or :stoned: self will grab that hot mother scratcher eventually.
I use Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior as it seems to produce less of a smokey taste.
Why in the world would you want that.?|!

this thing is awesome.

I've just been buying whatever is convenient for 20 years or so now. I guess I've just been lucky. Also, I think the tower method of lighting the coals is still the best. I'm really worried one of my kids or :stoned: self will grab that hot mother scratcher eventually.
I use Wicked Good's Weekend Warrior as it seems to produce less of a smokey taste.
To be more clear, I'm referring to the chemical smokey taste that can come with not allowing the coals to heat up long enough and produce the blue "sweet" smelling smoke. But honestly I'm not a huge fan of smoked meats in general. I do my briskets, butts and ribs without any wood chunks or chips and allow the lump to provide any smokiness. Blasphemy, I know.

To be more clear, I'm referring to the chemical smokey taste that can come with not allowing the coals to heat up long enough and produce the blue "sweet" smelling smoke. But honestly I'm not a huge fan of smoked meats in general. I do my briskets, butts and ribs without any wood chunks or chips and allow the lump to provide any smokiness. Blasphemy, I know.
*faints*

this thing is awesome.

I am not heavy smoke user. On ribs and butts I will add a small amount of plum wood which is very light in flavor. On regular chicken, steak etc, I don't use any wood.

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

$299 Chargriller Kamado Acorn

Get the lowes 10% moving coupon and you're looking at a $270 Kamado cooker that compares favorably to the Big Green Egg.

Reviews are solid now that a few kinks have been worked out. A $20 heat diffuser (18" weber grate + Cheap Pizza Stone) is a nice modification.

Reviews: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127379

:thumbup:
Imitated but never duplicated.
What material is that made out of? It can't be ceramic for that price can it?

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

Get the lowes 10% moving coupon and you're looking at a $270 Kamado cooker that compares favorably to the Big Green Egg.

Reviews are solid now that a few kinks have been worked out. A $20 heat diffuser (18" weber grate + Cheap Pizza Stone) is a nice modification.

You say that but there are non bge brands that are superior to the BGE. Honestly if this performs as well as these reviews say it does ( and the bbq nerds at that link certainly put it thru it's paces) then its a crazy value at one third the price of the BGE. Plus the ash system is a nice upgrade from that of the BGE.

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

Heavy steel exterior with triple insulation then a nice ceramic interior layer. Again, folks who have owned both and cooked with both a BGE and this unit speak favorably of this unit's build quality and cooking performance. Check the thread. :yes: For the money it's a no brainier.

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

Heavy steel exterior with triple insulation then a nice ceramic interior layer. Again, folks who have owned both and cooked with both a BGE and this unit speak favorably of this unit's build quality and cooking performance. Check the thread. :yes: For the money it's a no brainier.
It does look good!Of course the real proof won't be known until 5 years from now to see how it holds up over time. My BGE will last me pretty much my whole life(not only due to the quality of the BGE but more that it comes with a lifetime gaureentee). . It will be interesting to see if this has good longevity or if it will rust out and or break under years of heavy use.

People always complain about BGE's price, which is very high, but once you factor in the lifetime use, it makes it much more palatable IMO.

No big deal either way. I truly hope everyone loves what ever grill/smoker they buy. No need to try and wave a banner or kick dirt, just ruins threads IMO.

This thread is for the BGE, let's keep it that way. If the Chargriller gets popular, we should start a thread for that cooker.

This thread is for the BGE, let's keep it that way. If the Chargriller gets popular, we should start a thread for that cooker.
Sorry I wasn't trying to kick dirt, just raising awareness to those who might be in the market that there is a new player in the kamado grill arena that is offering what appears to be a nice value play. I'm not trying to derail the thread entirely, but think the BGE thread is a pretty good place to raise that awareness. I know that if I hadn't seen one this past weekend and was in the market for a BGE, I'd love to be made aware of it's existence. :shrug:Regarding durabilty... I personally keep all my outdoor units covered. My WSM is several years old and looks brand new (despite HEAVY use) as a result. A generic smoker cover ($8) works with this so that would be a suggested buy. Probably not needed, but a good idea. :thumbup: The BGE are definitely one hell of a product. I just can't justify the cost

Sorry I wasn't trying to kick dirt, just raising awareness to those who might be in the market that there is a new player in the kamado grill arena that is offering what appears to be a nice value play. I'm not trying to derail the thread entirely, but think the BGE thread is a pretty good place to raise that awareness. I know that if I hadn't seen one this past weekend and was in the market for a BGE, I'd love to be made aware of it's existence. :shrug:Regarding durabilty... I personally keep all my outdoor units covered. My WSM is several years old and looks brand new (despite HEAVY use) as a result. A generic smoker cover ($8) works with this so that would be a suggested buy. Probably not needed, but a good idea. :thumbup: The BGE are definitely one hell of a product. I just can't justify the cost
:goodposting: I appreciate the heads up!

Thanks for posting icon, I want a BGE, but I just can't justify the price since I'm new to this and don't know how much I'll use it. For 1/3 of the price, even if it's 80% of what the BGE is, that's perfect for me. Maybe I can justify getting the BGE when 1) I'm sure I'll use the grill enough to get $1k+ value out of a kamado style grill and 2) when I've got enough experience to know what exactly that 20% buys me. From all accounts, that Akorn sounds like the right buy for me and I wouldn't have found it without your post icon, so thanks again.

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

CHEAP INDEEDI looked at one of these at the Gander Mountain...looks like it will fall apart in 6 months, max.

EL CHEAPO KAMADO COOKER:

You say that but there are non bge brands that are superior to the BGE. Honestly if this performs as well as these reviews say it does ( and the bbq nerds at that link certainly put it thru it's paces) then its a crazy value at one third the price of the BGE. Plus the ash system is a nice upgrade from that of the BGE.
Lifetime warranty?But let's keep it to BGE in here.

I'm looking to get some butcher cut porter house steaks for the weekend, nothing like grilling on a Saturday during the spring weather :thumbup:

CHEAP INDEED

I looked at one of these at the Gander Mountain...looks like it will fall apart in 6 months, max.
Interesting you say that. I looked at one this past weekend and it looked rather sturdy. The materials look to be of solid quality. What specific "weak links" are you referring to? There are several folks who have been using them pretty heavily for almost that long (6 months) and they have held up great. This video review does a decent job of showing how well made the unit seems to be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw

Keep min mind I'm usually not particularly fond of chargriller products but they seem to be improving as of late.

CHEAP INDEED

I looked at one of these at the Gander Mountain...looks like it will fall apart in 6 months, max.
Interesting you say that. I looked at one this past weekend and it looked rather sturdy. The materials look to be of solid quality. What specific "weak links" are you referring to? There are several folks who have been using them pretty heavily for almost that long (6 months) and they have held up great. This video review does a decent job of showing how well made the unit seems to be. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmWZ7h-aZdw

Keep min mind I'm usually not particularly fond of chargriller products but they seem to be improving as of late.
The wheels, the shelves, the seal material on the edges of the lid, the hinges on the back. I monkeyed around with it a bit and it just looked crappy to me. It felt to me like the hinge would go rather quickly and you'd be replacing that seal material quite a bit.Of course I'm biased because I have the king of all kamados, so take it fwiw.

Thanks for posting icon, I want a BGE, but I just can't justify the price since I'm new to this and don't know how much I'll use it. For 1/3 of the price, even if it's 80% of what the BGE is, that's perfect for me. Maybe I can justify getting the BGE when 1) I'm sure I'll use the grill enough to get $1k+ value out of a kamado style grill and 2) when I've got enough experience to know what exactly that 20% buys me. From all accounts, that Akorn sounds like the right buy for me and I wouldn't have found it without your post icon, so thanks again.
:goodposting: Thanks for the heads up icon. I've got enough charcoal left for one more meal before I have to make a decision on what to buy. A co-worker bought one of these from Lowes about a month ago and he loved it when I last talked to him. He also is someone who tends to cheap out on things in general. I'll head to Lowes over the weekend and check out the build quality. I already looked into the BGE and know it's amazingly solid. But as Rooster says, this could be a good entry level one for some of us. I'm not that put-off by the price of the BGE because of the lifetime warranty. If the one at Lowes only looks like it'll last 5 years or so, it's probably not worth it.

:goodposting: Thanks for the heads up icon. I've got enough charcoal left for one more meal before I have to make a decision on what to buy. A co-worker bought one of these from Lowes about a month ago and he loved it when I last talked to him. He also is someone who tends to cheap out on things in general. I'll head to Lowes over the weekend and check out the build quality. I already looked into the BGE and know it's amazingly solid. But as Rooster says, this could be a good entry level one for some of us. I'm not that put-off by the price of the BGE because of the lifetime warranty. If the one at Lowes only looks like it'll last 5 years or so, it's probably not worth it.
I think starter level grills/smokers are an excellent idea. I wanted a BGE but like Rooster I had no experience with smokers and was afraid I was going to flush a grand so I purchased the El Cheapo Brinkmann (electric no less) just to learn on. Kept that for three years and then upgraded to hopefully my last smoker ever in the BGE.

I think starter level grills/smokers are an excellent idea. I wanted a BGE but like Rooster I had no experience with smokers and was afraid I was going to flush a grand so I purchased the El Cheapo Brinkmann (electric no less) just to learn on. Kept that for three years and then upgraded to hopefully my last smoker ever in the BGE.
Another thing that has held me back a little is that my wife has become very health conscious over the past few months with both of her parents going in for heart surgery and her being diagnosed with high-blood pressure. She's very stubborn and refuses medication and has gone into a real healthy eating diet. I have no problem with it and go along because at 47 I should pay a little more attention to it as well. She swears she's still going to want to have steak, pulled-pork, burger, etc. on weekends but I'd hate to spend $1200 on something that will just be used for fish and chicken not too long down the road. Of course, that's a whole unrelated topic. Just thought I'd mention it.

Another thing that has held me back a little is that my wife has become very health conscious over the past few months with both of her parents going in for heart surgery and her being diagnosed with high-blood pressure. She's very stubborn and refuses medication and has gone into a real healthy eating diet. I have no problem with it and go along because at 47 I should pay a little more attention to it as well. She swears she's still going to want to have steak, pulled-pork, burger, etc. on weekends but I'd hate to spend $1200 on something that will just be used for fish and chicken not too long down the road. Of course, that's a whole unrelated topic. Just thought I'd mention it.
That is certainly an excellent reason to try this out with a starter grill. If it lasts 5-7 years, which if even cheaply made it should, it would be well worth it just to make sure your life style matches up with smoking/grilling.

Some of the best things I've made on the egg are chicken and salmon. Ok, maybe not some of the best when you consider pulled pork, brisket and ribs but they are still outstanding. We also got a wok and make a great stir fry which can be very healthy. The egg really is incredibly versatile.

:goodposting: Thanks for the heads up icon.

I've got enough charcoal left for one more meal before I have to make a decision on what to buy. A co-worker bought one of these from Lowes about a month ago and he loved it when I last talked to him. He also is someone who tends to cheap out on things in general. I'll head to Lowes over the weekend and check out the build quality. I already looked into the BGE and know it's amazingly solid. But as Rooster says, this could be a good entry level one for some of us. I'm not that put-off by the price of the BGE because of the lifetime warranty. If the one at Lowes only looks like it'll last 5 years or so, it's probably not worth it.
That is certainly an excellent reason to try this out with a starter grill. If it lasts 5-7 years, which if even cheaply made it should, it would be well worth it just to make sure your life style matches up with smoking/grilling.
He might not even be around in 5-7 years!Some of the best salmon I've ever eaten, cooked right on the BGE: http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesSalmon.html

Users who are viewing this thread