What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (4 Viewers)

Are the new phones (and iPads) better with wifi than previous versions? Meaning are they more capable of working with weaker signals? Or is the "reception" the same?

On my new 6+ now... Love it!
Using this phone is awesome. One handed is a little challenging, but I don't do a lot of that anyway (and when I did, I probably shouldn't have been).

The one thing that I'm still getting used to is carrying it around. Not sure if it's just paranoia, the fact that I don't have my case yet, or both, but I feel vulnerable when I'm walking around with it whether it's in my hands or my pocket. Hopefully I'll adjust and get used to it.
Received my case yesterday and it's awesome. Feels MUCH better than a naked phone.

The 6+ is big, but I really like it.

CGRdrJoe said:
My wife took my son to best buy on saturday afternoon to get a 5s and was able to get a 64gb 6+ with att. I've screwed around with it and I'm still glad that I got the 6, my hands are just too damn small.
Why don't you play Xbox anymore?

The 6+ I ordered yesterday will be here tomorrow. So I'm excited about that obviously.
Seriously? Ordered my 9/29 and it just shipped today. Fedex says 2 day shipping will get it here Monday, but hoping for it tomorrow (Memphis---> Louisville).

How'd you manage to get it so quickly?

By Friday night I was thinking of returning my 6+. Not sure what I was expecting but it basically felt like a too big version of my 5. Texting with one hand is out and I wasn't feeling like any other aspects were worthwhile.

But in the last couple days I've come to love it. The screen is excellent, the photos are much improved. And some of the apps I use for work are much faster and much easier to use with a larger screen.

One thing that would be better than the double-tap thing would be an option in safari to move the address bar to the bottom permanently. That would make things much easier to me.

By Friday night I was thinking of returning my 6+. Not sure what I was expecting but it basically felt like a too big version of my 5. Texting with one hand is out and I wasn't feeling like any other aspects were worthwhile.

But in the last couple days I've come to love it. The screen is excellent, the photos are much improved. And some of the apps I use for work are much faster and much easier to use with a larger screen.

One thing that would be better than the double-tap thing would be an option in safari to move the address bar to the bottom permanently. That would make things much easier to me.
I was exactly the same. Now am used to it and when I pick up a regular iPhone it seems way too small.

Initially I didn't see the big battery bump people had talked about but have after using it for a week or so. It seems to drain about as fast to me but the battery life the phone shows is just more accurate - on every iPhone I've had before this one the last 50% and especially the last 20% was a joke it was more like 20% and 5%. Can make it through the day pretty easily without having to worry about charging.

Wrote earlier about my bad luck with the screen shattering. Hope that was just bad luck and not that the phone is more delicate.

Been waiting 3+ weeks for my 6+ 64G to come in. Frustrated. Suggestions?

Through a Sprint store here in Denver fwiw.
If you are able to cancel your order and there is an Apple Store near by you can check availability nightly (I was told stores replenish their inventory in the evenings) if you can lock one down for pickup then you could cancel your order.

I was able to get one a week or so ago through the Apple site this way.

Got my 6 Friday, and I cannot believe how much better it is than the 4S I had. Sending text messages takes literally half a second, compared to 1-3 seconds before. Updating apps takes about 15-20 seconds, compared to several minutes. All apps react faster, and the screen is just friggin' beautiful. Haven't really tested the camera out yet, other than snapping a few quick shots of my kids, but the ones I took of them looked crystal clear when viewed on larger devices. I think the size of the 6 is going to be just right for me, though will give the bigger one some thought when the next upgrade rolls around.

And so far, LOVE the case that Billy B recommended (the SUPCASE Unicorn Beetle from Amazon). Nice outer layer of protection around the perimeter of the phone, and the screen cover is nice as well (no bubbles or separation from the phone's screen). Fingerprints wipe off very easily also. And comes with a pretty sturdy belt clip too that could come in handy. A hell of a value for $20, IMO.

After a stint with a big android phone, I will say I believe this iphone 6 is the perfect phone. The size hits the sweet spot perfectly. Everything is snappy. Great screen. TouchID is totally awesome. My work forces us to use a passcode, but you can use this instead and it is so much better. Also great not having to type in my password all the time when buying new apps. I haven't tried ApplePay yet but did set it up with my Amex card. Where the heck do I use that? Like at a Starbucks? I assume I need to look for an apple pay logo or something.

I like the phone (not leaps and bounds better than the 5, just more screen real estate) but this is by far the buggiest iOS I've ever had.

My text messages routinely do not flip from landscape to vertical mode. Frequent freezes in Messages where 1/2 the screen is landscape, the other half is vertical (I have multiple screenshots of this happening on separate occasions). WAY too often the keyboard simply will not appear when I go to an app that uses a keyboard. I'll have to hard close the app and re-open to get the keyboard to show. Yet other times the keyboard appears and I can type, yet no text is displayed and I cannot send a message, again I have to close and re-open.

Frustrating as hell because I've never had any of these issues prior, and I was hoping the latest update would fix this stuff, but little to no improvement.

After a stint with a big android phone, I will say I believe this iphone 6 is the perfect phone. The size hits the sweet spot perfectly. Everything is snappy. Great screen. TouchID is totally awesome. My work forces us to use a passcode, but you can use this instead and it is so much better. Also great not having to type in my password all the time when buying new apps. I haven't tried ApplePay yet but did set it up with my Amex card. Where the heck do I use that? Like at a Starbucks? I assume I need to look for an apple pay logo or something.
Yep:

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-FG054_1028PT_WN_20141028105430.jpg

Yep:

http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-FG054_1028PT_WN_20141028105430.jpg
Yep the oval with arched lines and hand holding a card is the offical symbol for contactless payments I think. Lots of cases where there will be no specific apple pay logo. Lots of vending machines support this now too.

I like the phone (not leaps and bounds better than the 5, just more screen real estate) but this is by far the buggiest iOS I've ever had.

My text messages routinely do not flip from landscape to vertical mode. Frequent freezes in Messages where 1/2 the screen is landscape, the other half is vertical (I have multiple screenshots of this happening on separate occasions). WAY too often the keyboard simply will not appear when I go to an app that uses a keyboard. I'll have to hard close the app and re-open to get the keyboard to show. Yet other times the keyboard appears and I can type, yet no text is displayed and I cannot send a message, again I have to close and re-open.

Frustrating as hell because I've never had any of these issues prior, and I was hoping the latest update would fix this stuff, but little to no improvement.
I am also now experiencing this occasionally:

• Issues with some stuff freezing in place when rotating screen in some apps.

• Volume cutting out on some videos if I adjust while playing... have to restart video.

Yup. ApplePay isn't everywhere yet, but card readers do have it indicated. Used it once at a Walgreens last week and no issues. Other posters have tried it as well with success. I like it, but my sample size is non existent.

Yup. ApplePay isn't everywhere yet, but card readers do have it indicated. Used it once at a Walgreens last week and no issues. Other posters have tried it as well with success. I like it, but my sample size is non existent.
I've had my 6 since Tuesday and I've used Apple Pay twice, once in Walgreens and once at Apple store. Very easy.

Lets just say, someone wants a new black iPhone 5s (not a 6)....what's the best plan of attack to find this and get the best deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I picked up my wife's iPhone 5s today. I felt like a giant. It was so small in my hand.

Really like the 6+. Can't say I love it but I wouldn't want any other phone out there either. Apple should have made 1 phone. Slightly smaller than the plus with less bezel.

Guy at work picked up the 6+. I really like the look of it. We put it next to my note. It's a tad skinnier. First iPhone I really liked the look and feel.

I'm asking this question for him. When he puts apps in the "one hand mode" or whatever it's called it seems sometimes the apps cut off things he needs to reach.

is that by design? Like they lower it just so you can reach the top? We thought it would "reduce" the app size but it appears to just move it down.

I hope I explained that right

Guy at work picked up the 6+. I really like the look of it. We put it next to my note. It's a tad skinnier. First iPhone I really liked the look and feel.

I'm asking this question for him. When he puts apps in the "one hand mode" or whatever it's called it seems sometimes the apps cut off things he needs to reach.

is that by design? Like they lower it just so you can reach the top? We thought it would "reduce" the app size but it appears to just move it down.

I hope I explained that right
it just shifts the screen downward, so the bottom 1/3 is off the screen until you double-touch the home button again

Safari won't ####### remember me. Had the phone for three days and have logged into this site 20x. Anyone?

Just got my 6, upgrading from a 4S. Night and day difference. Best is that I got $100 for my 4S which had a broken sleep/wake button.

Only thing somewhat annoying is that my accessories, such as car charger/transmitter and radio clock, are built for 30 pin. And the 30 pin to 8 pin adapter won't fit through my case, so I think I need to sit my phone on two adapters. Is there an all-in-one 30 pin to 8 pin adapter that also works with a case? I haven't found any on Amazon, but maybe I'm missing something.
Where did you sell your 4S?

Safari won't ####### remember me. Had the phone for three days and have logged into this site 20x. Anyone?
This was happening to me a ton in Chrome and Safari. I have no idea what happened but it stopped doing it so hopefully that happens for you, was super annoying.

The recent update seemed to fix it. I was a big believer in Chrome for a while but it seems to be a dog lately. I've been very happy with safari, esp moving between iPhone, iPad and MBAir. Very seamless and snappy.

I got the 6 at launch and got the 6+ on Monday.

I'm not sure which one to keep.

The screen on the 6+ is awesome for video, but I thought web browsing would be improved but it's not at all. Especially FBG website. Using both phones side by side, the 1080p resolution just makes the font smaller. If I switch it to zoomed mode, the font size is identical to the 6, but with a little more content on the bottom - big whoop! I expected a better web browsing experience with the big screen, but maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm not sure that the additional size is worth it. UNTIL......I open up Netflix - The 6+ makes my jaw drop.

I plan to use the 6+ exclusively for a week and then go back to the regular 6 and see how it feels.

To summarize: The only benefit I can see that the 6+ has is with videos and games.

The screen on the 6+ is awesome for video, but I thought web browsing would be improved but it's not at all. Especially FBG website. Using both phones side by side, the 1080p resolution just makes the font smaller. If I switch it to zoomed mode, the font size is identical to the 6, but with a little more content on the bottom - big whoop! I expected a better web browsing experience with the big screen, but maybe I'm missing something here.

I'm not sure that the additional size is worth it. UNTIL......I open up Netflix - The 6+ makes my jaw drop.

I plan to use the 6+ exclusively for a week and then go back to the regular 6 and see how it feels.

To summarize: The only benefit I can see that the 6+ has is with videos and games.
The battery is really nice on the 6+. Lasts about 5 or 6 hours longer than my last phone (iPhone 5).

I have the 6+ and am totally used to how ridiculously big it is. Don't even notice anymore until someone who still has small phone points it out.

Anybody order after October 11th and get a 128GB 6+? My original ship date was supposed to be this past Wednesday and now it is 12/12 as of an email today. I was fine with the original wait, but another month, I am so pissed.

Anybody order after October 11th and get a 128GB 6+? My original ship date was supposed to be this past Wednesday and now it is 12/12 as of an email today. I was fine with the original wait, but another month, I am so pissed.
I ordered the same on 10/21 and was given a 12/1-12/10 delivery date. Still the same. I'm thinking the port union slowdown has to be affecting shipments. I know our business had shipments held at the port for weeks.

I ordered the same on 10/21 and was given a 12/1-12/10 delivery date. Still the same.I'm thinking the port union slowdown has to be affecting shipments. I know our business had shipments held at the port for weeks.
Thanks for the info. I'm so annoyed that it took until 2 days after it was supposed to come that they shifted the date weeks out. I don't want to be a downer, but don't be surprised if you get an email in a few days with a delay as well. I have been travelling so much all November and I'll be doing the same in December and I was really looking forward to getting the new phone for the plane rides. Looks like that isn't going to happen until next year, which makes it suck even more.

Hey, quick question hopefully you can help.

My wife's iPhone is full, mostly with photos. She has iCloud backup and photostream on and over 5gb free on there.

Is there a way she can delete the photos off the one without losing them from her cloud account (where they currently are aswell) or will deleting them on the phone clear them from the cloud too?

Thanks

I went back to the smaller phone today and I prefer it. Should I return the 6+ to the Apple store or try to sell it for :moneybag: ?

Hey, quick question hopefully you can help.

My wife's iPhone is full, mostly with photos. She has iCloud backup and photostream on and over 5gb free on there.

Is there a way she can delete the photos off the one without losing them from her cloud account (where they currently are aswell) or will deleting them on the phone clear them from the cloud too?

Thanks
I think it will clear them from the cloud too.

Get a dropbox account and sync pics over there... then clear the phone. Set up auto-upload too so every pic will be uploaded to dropbox as it's taken. Then you can delete pics whenever you want and feel comfortable that you're not losing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread