What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death said:
Gr00vus said:
Clifford said:
Right, ok do remember that. And you don't have to use spoiler tags. The illiterate or slow are no longer cowed to in here.
I'll probably still stick with them just in case a someone not caught up happens to hit this thread (purposefully or accidentally). I'd feel freer about the no spoiler thing in the ADWD thread.
Exactly. Guess I can't read this thread anymore. I've read through book 3. Dangerous to read this one....cast out of the TV thread....
OUT WITH YOU!!
Hegone

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
So, Coldhands next week? Jon gets to castle black to warn the few who are left and prep for battle? I do not think we get the first stage of the battle next week. I'm not sure what cliffhanger we get, although may Coldhands is a bit of one, especially if they show him to actually be Benjen Stark. What else could be in store for the season finale?
The cliffhanger could be Lady Stonheart
too early. gotta make people forget about her to make it more shocking.
Here's why I think they might:

1. They need to give the viewers an uplift after Ep 9.

2. The precedent was set with Theon to discard the chronological differences between the book/show.

3. With the emphasis this season on Beric and his resurrections it is fresh in the viewers minds

4. What else are they gonna end with?

5. The surprise will be lessened when it is announced Michelle Fairly has signed on for S4 anyways

You may very well be right but I'm thinking there's a chance
The whole conversation between Arya and Thoros about "bringing back a man who lost his head once" has set up Stonehands for the finale here. Whether or not they show the actual resurrection..I don't know....but I think they might do the epilogue scene from ASOS and kill whatever Frey killed Robb's wife.
Did Robb's wife get killed? I thought they spared her for some reason in the book.

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
So, Coldhands next week? Jon gets to castle black to warn the few who are left and prep for battle? I do not think we get the first stage of the battle next week. I'm not sure what cliffhanger we get, although may Coldhands is a bit of one, especially if they show him to actually be Benjen Stark. What else could be in store for the season finale?

2. The precedent was set with Theon to discard the chronological differences between the book/show.

3. With the emphasis this season on Beric and his resurrections it is fresh in the viewers minds

5. The surprise will be lessened when it is announced Michelle Fairly has signed on for S4 anyways

Stoneheart does not come across as very uplifting in the books especially when (sigh #finishthebooks)

The last we see of her is hanging Brienne to death, of course we know that Brienne won't actually die
What do you mean by the second part of that sentence? Refresh my memory.

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

The whole conversation between Arya and Thoros about "bringing back a man who lost his head once" has set up Stonehands for the finale here. Whether or not they show the actual resurrection..I don't know....but I think they might do the epilogue scene from ASOS and kill whatever Frey killed Robb's wife.
Did Robb's wife get killed? I thought they spared her for some reason in the book.
she wasn't even at the twins in the book.

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

My guesses would be to either end it with something at the wall, or with Jamie. Even though I just read the damn thing a month ago, I am hazy about details of book 3. A ending point might be to either have the attack on Castle Black start up, or just a panning shot of Mance's huge army approaching the wall. Since most of the season seemed to be about his arc, something with Jamie getting to King's Landing or something. I would be disappointed if they end with Cat b/c to me that would hint at a Theon-level shoehorning of plot into season 4. Would be good if we get a couple scenes splashed throughout season 4 of somebody hunting down the people who committed the killings at the wedding, and cap it off with Cat's reveal at the end of the season.

Grrm is writing episode 2 ......
He also wrote the source material
And the pointy end and Blackwater. I'd bet he is writing the wedding.
The PW being e2 would be ####
Before hearing which episode he was writing I had thought they needed it by end of episode 3 to do it right. It makes sense as a lot happens after that. Looking forward to red viper casting!!

she wasn't even at the twins in the book.
That's what I thought. My recollection was that

she was part of that forced prisoner march from Riverrun after Jaime takes the city
but it's been a really long time since I read that book.

From the new and improved TV only thread (which is, so far, uch better read than the old one, although sweeney has already checked in with some attitude):

One thing that bugged me about the Red Wedding, and I am sure I missed a scene or some dialogue, but had a question afterwards: Who knew that Talisa was pregnant? I could only remember the scene in the tent when she was naked and writing letters when she told Robb. Then they talked about it at the wedding. Long story short, I thought it was weird that they stabbed her in the belly as if they were going after Robb's heir directly - WTF would they know that?
Great insight! :thumbup:

From the new and improved TV only thread (which is, so far, uch better read than the old one, although sweeney has already checked in with some attitude):

One thing that bugged me about the Red Wedding, and I am sure I missed a scene or some dialogue, but had a question afterwards: Who knew that Talisa was pregnant? I could only remember the scene in the tent when she was naked and writing letters when she told Robb. Then they talked about it at the wedding. Long story short, I thought it was weird that they stabbed her in the belly as if they were going after Robb's heir directly - WTF would they know that?
Great insight!
I thought it was walder Frey who noticed, he was saying something like "even though you are wearing clothes I can see what you have". Now it came off as him jsut being a creepy dude scoping her body, but I think he knew she was preggo, because he knows what a preggo body looks like

Gr00vus said:
re: foreshadowing - there were just as many foreshadowing moments in the book... Cat's preoccupation with the hospitality food, etc...
Yeah, I've been accused of being a #### for saying this before, but I've never understood how a reader could have been shocked by the Red Wedding. I pretty much assumed Robb was dead as soon as he broke the oath. I don't thinks assumed Catelyn would get it, but I never figured Robb would be around for the end game. He never even got a viewpoint chapter, IIRC.
You figured Robb wouldn't last, but I didn't see a total wipeout of a significant portion of the north's top brass and its main army, as well as Kat, coming. And the set up for it was pretty brutal. Martin got you thinking it might be possible for Robb to work out of it - and then wham. You figured Robb might get whacked but there'd be payback by the north - instead Martin wrote near total devastation and left little to no hope for the north any time soon. That's what made it so shocking.
For me the worst part of the red wedding was arya being so close to finally reuniting with her family.
It was even worse in the book when they ended Arya's chapter with the possibility that she too was dead. I had to put the book down for a while after that.
Arya's was the worst for me...I actually went to the Wiki after that to see if it was BS or not.

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

In the book, she's not killed. She isn't at the Wedding. At the end of SOS, Merrett Frey ( a low level Frey) is sent to ransom another Frey who was captured by the Brotherhood. When he gets there, that Frey is already hanged and Stoneheart (Cat) comes out and accuses that Frey of conspiring in the RW. He's obviously found guilty and hung.

Due to TV constraints and the fickle nature of the viewer, I just imagine that they'll send the Frey who stabbed Robb's wife ( I think it was one of the two who came up with the idea for the marriage "Lame" Lothar Frey), and killing him will give the viewer a little satisfaction.

Clifford said:
Amused to Death said:
Gr00vus said:
Clifford said:
Right, ok do remember that. And you don't have to use spoiler tags. The illiterate or slow are no longer cowed to in here.
I'll probably still stick with them just in case a someone not caught up happens to hit this thread (purposefully or accidentally). I'd feel freer about the no spoiler thing in the ADWD thread.
Exactly. Guess I can't read this thread anymore. I've read through book 3. Dangerous to read this one....cast out of the TV thread....
I finished each book in about 2 weeks. Get on it man!
And after reading book 3 I was hooked and couldnt stop reading them any chance I got!

Speaking of Dany, have we discussed the fact she knows who Barristan Selmy since practically the beginning? Her finding out who he really was was a fairly big event, which hadn't happened yet in the show timeline, no?

The whole being betrayed by him and Jorah, so she sent them into the sewers, then had to judge them, etc..
I actually expected her to out Jorah sooner then later...maybe this happens next week?

Great insight!
I thought it was walder Frey who noticed, he was saying something like "even though you are wearing clothes I can see what you have". Now it came off as him jsut being a creepy dude scoping her body, but I think he knew she was preggo, because he knows what a preggo body looks like
Yeah, he said something like "I can always tell what goes on under a dress". However I thought he followed that up by saying that he bets that everything stays put when she is naked and has a tight body. I took his comment as him being a creepy perv, not him saying that he knew she was pregnant. I guess it really took me by surprise since I didn't think anybody knew of her pregnancy and they went right for that - but I have a habit of trying to read too much into things. Maybe my was on the other night.

Brienne had a scene after the hanging, where she meets up with Jamie, and wants him to come alone to see Sansa.
That whole scene was just odd to me and I'm wondering what's going to come of it.
Just speculating, but she was given a choice between hanging and killing Jamie - at the end of the hanging chapter, she looked at Podrick and screamed something - presumably that she would kill jamie. So, when she came upon Jamie's camp, it appears that she was trying to lure him away under the ruse of having found Sansa. My guess is she has no intention of actually killing him, but maybe needs him to help rescue Pod?

So are the Karstarks & the Boltons the biggest houses left in the north?
Biggest on their own or biggest now that they've thrown their House in with the Lannisters with a mighty coup against the King in the North? I'd side with the Boltons in any conflict after this.

So are the Karstarks & the Boltons the biggest houses left in the north?
Bolton is close. If the claims Wyman made to Davos are accurate, then the Manderleys are just as big as the Boltons. Plus, with their silver and the harbor, they are much more powerful(assuming no outside influence of course).

Brienne had a scene after the hanging, where she meets up with Jamie, and wants him to come alone to see Sansa.
That whole scene was just odd to me and I'm wondering what's going to come of it.
Just speculating, but she was given a choice between hanging and killing Jamie - at the end of the hanging chapter, she looked at Podrick and screamed something - presumably that she would kill jamie. So, when she came upon Jamie's camp, it appears that she was trying to lure him away under the ruse of having found Sansa. My guess is she has no intention of actually killing him, but maybe needs him to help rescue Pod?

I could get on board with that! She was some one that used to be boring as all hell to me but she grew on me the more I read.

People who haven't finished the books, don't read. Theory about Jon and Rhaegar and where the story is going.

I just went back and looked at a bunch of stuff and I think that the Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon is right. I wasn't convinced before, but there's a ton of good evidence for this (even more than the last time I looked it up). I haven't seen the rest of this anywhere though. I think that Rhaegar discovered something in his reading (he was bookish to a fault) that told him he and his heirs would need to be a bulwark agains the return of the Others, and that the 'dragon has three heads.' He assumed his children would be the three, but his wife was unable to birth a third child. The first two almost killed her.But in deciding who to sire a third child with he discovered something else, and chose Lyanna as the mother of the third child not out of love but because Lyanna's deep blood ties to winter or ice would marry with his own bloodline of fire to produce something important. Maybe Fire and Ice are in eternal conflict, with no good or bad guys at all, and Jon (Fire + Ice) is the key to ending it?Somewhat related to that idea is the story of Bael the Bard, the King Beyond the Wall. In the story he fathers a child on one of the Stark daughters. Since the story also centers around the winter rose of Winterfell. Could he have introduced something wild/magic into the Stark bloodline? Or was the Stark bloodline already tied up with the Others and winter through the Old Gods and centuries of winter rule? They have been known as Kings of Winter previously IIRC. Are they the natural enemy of the dragons and the Targaryens (fire)?The winter roses are symbolic of all this somehow as well. Not only is it a major piece in the story of Bael, Rhaegar crowns Lyanna with winter roses at Harrenhall, and Ned imagines blue petals across a bloody sky (the Comet?). There's also the image of a winter rose blooming on The Wall. Is that just Jon, or something bigger/more important? Are the Starks actually the heart of winter and tied to the Wall?Anyhow, Eddard knows some or all of this, and his overwhelming guilt is from the fact that he's been a central part of the chaos in the realm knowing that its root cause is false. Rhaegar neither abducted nor raped Lyanna. Eddard's brother and father died for nothing when they confronted Aerys. Robert's war against the king and everything that's come since were for nothing. Eddard may even have known what was happening before the two ran off. But he's kept his silence all these years either because he knows that Robert would have killed Jon as a Targaryen heir (which is why Lyanna made him promise), but maybe also because he also knows that Jon is central to the fate of the realm.Or soemthing. I know this isn't all right. But I bet some of it is headed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who haven't finished the books, don't read. Theory about Jon and Rhaegar and where the story is going.

I just went back and looked at a bunch of stuff and I think that the Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon is right. I wasn't convinced before, but there's a ton of good evidence for this (even more than the last time I looked it up). I haven't seen the rest of this anywhere though. I think that Rhaegar discovered something in his reading (he was bookish to a fault) that told him he and his heirs would need to be a bulwark agains the return of the Others, and that the 'dragon has three heads.' He assumed his children would be the three, but his wife was unable to birth a third child. The first two almost killed her.But in deciding who to sire a third child with he discovered something else, and chose Lyanna as the mother of the third child not out of love but because Lyanna's deep blood ties to winter or ice would marry with his own bloodline of fire to produce something important. Maybe Fire and Ice are in eternal conflict, with no good or bad guys at all, and Jon (Fire + Ice) is the key to ending it?Somewhat related to that idea is the story of Bael the Bard, the King Beyond the Wall. In the story he fathers a child on one of the Stark daughters. Since the story also centers around the winter rose of Winterfell. Could he have introduced something wild/magic into the Stark bloodline? Or was the Stark bloodline already tied up with the Others and winter through the Old Gods and centuries of winter rule? They have been known as Kings of Winter previously IIRC. Are they the natural enemy of the dragons and the Targaryens (fire)?The winter roses are symbolic of all this somehow as well. Not only is it a major piece in the story of Bael, Rhaegar crowns Lyanna with winter roses at Harrenhall, and Ned imagines blue petals across a bloody sky (the Comet?). There's also the image of a winter rose blooming on The Wall. Is that just Jon, or something bigger/more important? Are the Starks actually the heart of winter and tied to the Wall?Anyhow, Eddard knows some or all of this, and his overwhelming guilt is from the fact that he's been a central part of the chaos in the realm knowing that its root cause is false. Rhaegar neither abducted nor raped Lyanna. Eddard's brother and father died for nothing when they confronted Aerys. Robert's war against the king and everything that's come since were for nothing. Eddard may even have known what was happening before the two ran off. But he's kept his silence all these years either because he knows that Robert would have killed Jon as a Targaryen heir (which is why Lyanna made him promise), but maybe also because he also knows that Jon is central to the fate of the realm.Or soemthing. I know this isn't all right. But I bet some of it is headed in the right direction.
I love reading stuff like this and hate that I have to wait to find out!

I love reading stuff like this and hate that I have to wait to find out!

As long as he doesn't die I don't mind the wait, but it's probably more of a 'Wild ### Guess' than it is a 'Theory'.

Just hit me that I could see this going along the lines of Marion Zimmerman Bradley's 'The Mists of Avalon' too -- where the old Gods are destroyed (in this case the Children of the Forest, Others, Weirwood Trees, The Wall, wargs, wildlings and etc) and disappear from the earth. What if the Wall was built to keep the more modern civiliation and 'Fire' types out of the North? After all, The Wall seems to be more of the old Gods and it is made of ice.

GRRM is on record that the ending will be bitter sweet. So I am doubting that we see Dany, Tyrion, and Jon riding dragons saving the realm. I expect Bran will play a major role in the final battle or result, and maybe be the last Stark standing, albeit trapped in a cave as a tree.

Are the Starks, Northerners, and Wildlings the only descendants of the First Men? Are Targaryans and those of old valaria related to the First Men as well? Lannisters are Andals . . . is everybody else? I ask this because the first White Walker invasion was defeated by the Children of the Forest and the First Men working together. Then the Andals came and cut down the weirwoods and essentially forced the Children north of the wall.

GRRM is on record that the ending will be bitter sweet. So I am doubting that we see Dany, Tyrion, and Jon riding dragons saving the realm. I expect Bran will play a major role in the final battle or result, and maybe be the last Stark standing, albeit trapped in a cave as a tree. Are the Starks, Northerners, and Wildlings the only descendants of the First Men? Are Targaryans and those of old valaria related to the First Men as well? Lannisters are Andals . . . is everybody else? I ask this because the first White Walker invasion was defeated by the Children of the Forest and the First Men working together. Then the Andals came and cut down the weirwoods and essentially forced the Children north of the wall.
The Andals came from Essos across the Broken Arm back before it was destroyed by magic (or earthquakes, or rising sea levels). Valyria is also on Essos so I'm guessing the Targaryans are Andals too, or at least more closely related to them than to the First Men.I got the impression that pretty much the whole south are Andals, with the North being some mixture through interbreeding between Andals and First Men.

My guess for the bitter sweet ending...We'll have King's Landing burned to the ground via wild fire and a war torn Westeros led by a Targaryan with a Lannister as Hand of the King. Basically all this warring and death is for nothing as everything comes full circle and we're back to where we started.

GRRM is on record that the ending will be bitter sweet. So I am doubting that we see Dany, Tyrion, and Jon riding dragons saving the realm. I expect Bran will play a major role in the final battle or result, and maybe be the last Stark standing, albeit trapped in a cave as a tree.

Are the Starks, Northerners, and Wildlings the only descendants of the First Men? Are Targaryans and those of old valaria related to the First Men as well? Lannisters are Andals . . . is everybody else? I ask this because the first White Walker invasion was defeated by the Children of the Forest and the First Men working together. Then the Andals came and cut down the weirwoods and essentially forced the Children north of the wall.

KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
right... that wasn't till the very end if I recall.
She shows up in ADoD IIRC

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

Stoneheart does not come across as very uplifting in the books especially when (sigh #finishthebooks)

The last we see of her is hanging Brienne to death, of course we know that Brienne won't actually die

She is being hanged because she won't condemn the Kingslayer since he saved her life. Stoneheart hangs her for treachery since she won't disclose his location or something like that. Anyway, the scene ends with Brienne about to black out and then she calls out a name. I'm assuming it's either Jaime or one of the daughters.

kneeshooter said:
KarmaPolice said:
Hodor said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:

She is being hanged because she won't condemn the Kingslayer since he saved her life. Stoneheart hangs her for treachery since she won't disclose his location or something like that. Anyway, the scene ends with Brienne about to black out and then she calls out a name. I'm assuming it's either Jaime or one of the daughters.

I'm thinking it has to be one of the daughters

from Feast of Crows

“Brienne felt the hemp constricting, digging into her skin, jerking her chin upward. Ser Hyle was cursing them eloquently, but not the boy. Podrick never lifted his eyes, not even when his feet were jerked up off the ground. If this is another dream, it is time for me to awaken. If this is real, it is time for me to die. All she could see was Podrick, the noose around his thin neck, his legs twitching. Her mouth opened. Pod was kicking, choking, dying. Brienne sucked the air in desperately, even as the rope was strangling her. Nothing had ever hurt so much.

She screamed a word.”
From A Dance with Dragons:

“Jaime scrambled to his feet. “My lady. I had not thought to see you again so soon.” Gods be good, she looks ten years older than when I saw her last. And what’s happened to her face? “That bandage … you’ve been wounded …”

“A bite.” She touched the hilt of her sword, the sword that he had given her. Oathkeeper. “My lord, you gave me a quest.”
“The girl. Have you found her?”
“I have,” said Brienne, Maid of Tarth.
“Where is she?”
“A day’s ride. I can take you to her, ser … but you will need to come alone. Elsewise, the Hound will kill her.”

Leeroy Jenkins said:

Bran won't be the last Stark standing but he will probably take over Bloodraven's duties - whatever those might be. I am sure we will see a Stark back in Winterfell by the time the series ends.

from Feast of Crows

“Brienne felt the hemp constricting, digging into her skin, jerking her chin upward. Ser Hyle was cursing them eloquently, but not the boy. Podrick never lifted his eyes, not even when his feet were jerked up off the ground. If this is another dream, it is time for me to awaken. If this is real, it is time for me to die. All she could see was Podrick, the noose around his thin neck, his legs twitching. Her mouth opened. Pod was kicking, choking, dying. Brienne sucked the air in desperately, even as the rope was strangling her. Nothing had ever hurt so much.

She screamed a word.”

“Jaime scrambled to his feet. “My lady. I had not thought to see you again so soon.” Gods be good, she looks ten years older than when I saw her last. And what’s happened to her face? “That bandage … you’ve been wounded …”

“A bite.” She touched the hilt of her sword, the sword that he had given her. Oathkeeper. “My lord, you gave me a quest.”

“Where is she?”

“A day’s ride. I can take you to her, ser … but you will need to come alone. Elsewise, the Hound will kill her.”
She got the bite how again?

Leeroy Jenkins said:

Bran won't be the last Stark standing but he will probably take over Bloodraven's duties - whatever those might be. I am sure we will see a Stark back in Winterfell by the time the series ends.
Rickon maybe?

from Feast of Crows

She screamed a word.”

“Where is she?”

Brienne was asked "sword or rope(?)" . what other word would've saved her?

from Feast of Crows

She screamed a word.”

“Where is she?”

Lost a fight with Biter

Leeroy Jenkins said:

Rickon maybe?
Rickon is the only Stark left that could pass on the name Stark so I think it is a safe bet that he lives and becomes the next Lord of Winterfell. My guess would be that Sansa makes it out as well - not as sure about Arya.

from Feast of Crows

She screamed a word.”

“Where is she?”

Brienne was asked "sword or rope(?)" . what other word would've saved her?
I totally forgot that she was asked that.

from Feast of Crows

She screamed a word.”

“Where is she?”

Lost a fight with Biter

For some reason I thought that fight was with someone else. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread