What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (3 Viewers)

So, I know the Red Wedding gets the most pub of all of the "WTF?" ASOS scenes but mine was the Trial By Combat towards the end. THAT ####ed me up. I SAW the damned thing coming when the taunting was going on and it still made me throw the frigging book down when it ended.

So, I know the Red Wedding gets the most pub of all of the "WTF?" ASOS scenes but mine was the Trial By Combat towards the end. THAT ####ed me up. I SAW the damned thing coming when the taunting was going on and it still made me throw the frigging book down when it ended.
By that point it was a ...oh ####... figures. The Littlefinger and Lysa reveal was a holy #### moment for me.

By that point it was a ...oh ####... figures. The Littlefinger and Lysa reveal was a holy #### moment for me.
From red wedding on, Swords was just a flurry.

I compare it to Inigo Montoya finally facing off with Count Rugen, but dying instead of getting his revenge. Heartbreaking moment.

I really hope the Arya/Hound storyline gets a lot of time this season. In fact, her entire story arc has been my favorite in the books gets better with each progression.

In contrast, we need less Bran (his storyline bores me to tears), but I'm sure HBO will take the shifter thing & run with it.

I really hope the Arya/Hound storyline gets a lot of time this season. In fact, her entire story arc has been my favorite in the books gets better with each progression.

In contrast, we need less Bran (his storyline bores me to tears), but I'm sure HBO will take the shifter thing & run with it.
Bran's seems pretty important.

Bran's seems pretty important.
He seems very important. Martin has still made his storyline pretty boring and slow on the page, yet somewhat creepy at the same time. I'm looking forward to getting more info on what he is, what he can/will become and how the north really works (the relationship between the others, the white walkers, the children of the forest, the crannogmen, the giants, the weirwoods, the shifters, the Starks, the first men, the wall, ice/cold in general, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking forward to getting more info on what he is, what he can/will become and how the north really works (the relationship between the others, the white walkers, the children of the forest, the crannogmen, the giants, the weirwoods, the shifters, the Starks, the first men, the wall, ice/cold in general, etc.).
:goodposting:

I think this is the real story of the books (along with how fire -- dragons, flame magic, etc -- really works) and that everyone else may just be pawns.

Season 1, 2011: Book 1, A Game of Thrones, 694 pagesSeason 2, 2012: Book 2, A Clash of Kings, 768 pages

Season 3/Part of Season 4, 2013/2014: Book 3, A Storm of Swords, 973 pages (Season 3 was the first time a book got chopped up. netw3rk,Grantland’s resident Maester of the Citadel, divines that the concurrent plot lines of Books 4 and 5 mean those two will have to get threaded into Season 4 and wrapped up in Season 5. He also thinks he’s seen things in the teasers and trailers that allude to this.)

Part of Season 4/All of Season 5, 2014/2015: Book 4, A Feast for Crows, 784 pages

Part of Season 4/All of Season 5, 2014/2015: Book 5, A Dance with Dragons, 1,040 pages (More than 1,800 pages is an unreal amount to cover in a single season, but there will have to be concessions if this beast is really going to total no more than eight seasons, people.)

Season 6, 2016: Book 6, reportedly titled The Winds of Winter, length TBD, year TBD

Season 7 and 8, 2017 and 2018: Book 7, reportedly titled A Dream of Spring, length TBD (quite probably long, hence the two-season bet), year TBD
Thought this was worth posting for reference (so far) and to see how things might look going forward.

Just a quick offbeat Q:

You all assumed Cold Hands was Benjen Stark as a zombie, but reclaimed by green seer magic, right?

I'm looking forward to getting more info on what he is, what he can/will become and how the north really works (the relationship between the others, the white walkers, the children of the forest, the crannogmen, the giants, the weirwoods, the shifters, the Starks, the first men, the wall, ice/cold in general, etc.).
:goodposting:

I think this is the real story of the books (along with how fire -- dragons, flame magic, etc -- really works) and that everyone else may just be pawns.
Yep. Central to that (and maybe slightly forgotten by readers?) is the artifact/weapon that Mance Ryder was digging for when he accidentally woke up the Others.

What was he trying to find? Bet it has something to do with the Wall, but more important, probably can be used against the Others themselves.

Season 1, 2011: Book 1, A Game of Thrones, 694 pagesSeason 2, 2012: Book 2, A Clash of Kings, 768 pages

Season 3/Part of Season 4, 2013/2014: Book 3, A Storm of Swords, 973 pages (Season 3 was the first time a book got chopped up. netw3rk,Grantland’s resident Maester of the Citadel, divines that the concurrent plot lines of Books 4 and 5 mean those two will have to get threaded into Season 4 and wrapped up in Season 5. He also thinks he’s seen things in the teasers and trailers that allude to this.)

Part of Season 4/All of Season 5, 2014/2015: Book 4, A Feast for Crows, 784 pages

Part of Season 4/All of Season 5, 2014/2015: Book 5, A Dance with Dragons, 1,040 pages (More than 1,800 pages is an unreal amount to cover in a single season, but there will have to be concessions if this beast is really going to total no more than eight seasons, people.)

Season 6, 2016: Book 6, reportedly titled The Winds of Winter, length TBD, year TBD

Season 7 and 8, 2017 and 2018: Book 7, reportedly titled A Dream of Spring, length TBD (quite probably long, hence the two-season bet), year TBD
Thought this was worth posting for reference (so far) and to see how things might look going forward.
Yeah - thats why I posted the link to the article, two posts up ;)

BTW, I just finished teaching Book I in a low level college English class, and was quite surprised at how well it held up to critical analysis. Martin weaves a lot of anti-fascism in there, along with the more obvious feminism and reflexive critique of the fantasy/faery tale genre. The guy is more than a simple pop fiction writer, IMO. GOT ain't Ulysses, but it ain't no Dragonlance trilogy either.

Just a quick offbeat Q:

You all assumed Cold Hands was Benjen Stark as a zombie, but reclaimed by green seer magic, right?
No. Wouldn't Bran have recognized him?
You never see his face. Just his hooded cloak (black) and black hands (i.e. just like the zombies). Plus crows are always with him...and he knows about the secret passage under Nightfort (was that the name again?)...all adds up to former crow, turned zombie, but now obeying the Children of the Forest.

Just seemed to make sense it'd be Benjen.

Speaking the green seers, I can't wait to see the HBO depiction of the seer Bran meets. That guy was creepy on the page; he should be awesome in the series.

:geeked:

BTW, I just finished teaching Book I in a low level college English class, and was quite surprised at how well it held up to critical analysis. Martin weaves a lot of anti-fascism in there, along with the more obvious feminism and reflexive critique of the fantasy/faery tale genre. The guy is more than a simple pop fiction writer, IMO. GOT ain't Ulysses, but it ain't no Dragonlance trilogy either.
He's sometimes lazy with word choice and it's not beautiful writing or anything, but his imagination is unbounded, he ties an unbelievable number of things together the way they're actually linked in the real world and he uses foreshadowing as well as anyone.

When you reread the stories after knowing the plot it's amazing how many seemingly throwaway pasages or in-character asides there are that casually reference something that happened 1500 pages ago or that aren't revealed in full for another 1500. He's somehow able to really "see" the fictional events and setting from each character's POV as if it were real and he was there. It's seamless.

Easily the best written fantasy series IMO (which is admittedly a lowish bar).

Just a quick offbeat Q:

You never see his face. Just his hooded cloak (black) and black hands (i.e. just like the zombies). Plus crows are always with him...and he knows about the secret passage under Nightfort (was that the name again?)...all adds up to former crow, turned zombie, but now obeying the Children of the Forest.

I think it may be the The Night's King.

Just a quick offbeat Q:

Funny, that's where I am in ADWD (actually just finished where Bran meets the greenseer or whatever he is) and I had the same question/impression of the character

He's sometimes lazy with word choice and it's not beautiful writing or anything, but his imagination is unbounded, he ties an unbelievable number of things together the way they're actually linked in the real world and he uses foreshadowing as well as anyone.

When you reread the stories after knowing the plot it's amazing how many seemingly throwaway pasages or in-character asides there are that casually reference something that happened 1500 pages ago or that aren't revealed in full for another 1500. He's somehow able to really "see" the fictional events and setting from each character's POV as if it were real and he was there. It's seamless.

Easily the best written fantasy series IMO (which is admittedly a lowish bar).
I think this bias is a major problem with entertainment in general. GOT is a great series period (book or TV) - no caveats.

Just a quick offbeat Q:

Which is exactly why it can't be Benjen. Too obvious for Martin. ;)

The underlying theme that stands out the most to me is how badly the common man gets ####ed over by the actions and desires of those in power - without those in power really considering them at all. It's just massive collateral damage that the common man somehow has to suck up and overcome (or not as is often the case in Martin's world). You don't really see that woven throughout the overall story in other epics very often.

The underlying theme that stands out the most to me is how badly the common man gets ####ed over by the actions and desires of those in power - without those in power really considering them at all. It's just massive collateral damage that the common man somehow has to suck up and overcome (or not as is often the case in Martin's world). You don't really see that woven throughout the overall story in other epics very often.
“The common people pray for rain, healthy children and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace.”

Just a quick offbeat Q:

I think it may be the <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night" href="http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night" s_king"="">The Night's King.
Strong possibility. Good catch.

Whenever I get pissed about our Government, I think at least I don't live in Westeros.

I think a lot of his inspiration for this subject comes from true stories too.

Whenever I get pissed about our Government, I think at least I don't live in Westeros.

I think a lot of his inspiration for this subject comes from true stories too.
IIRC some of it was based on The War of the Roses.

I think it may be the <a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night" href="http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Night" s_king"="">The Night's King.
Don't think it is Night's King. I doubt Bloodraven (who was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch himself) would use Night's King (a betrayer of The Watch) as an ally - that is assuming Night's King has lived thousands of years in the first place.

Quite a few themes here aside from power (and station):

Honor, duty, loyalty, oaths, and obligation (to family, friends, rulers, and subjects) are prevalent throughout the series.

The theme of what is "evil" runs throughout the books as well since most characters are pretty gray and nearly all of them are complicit in murder in some form or another.

Revenge, justice, science vs. religion/magic

Just a quick offbeat Q:

Always thought Ben Stark was the most likely scenario, or at least that Martin wants us to think that.

Don't think it is Night's King. I doubt Bloodraven (who was Lord Commander of the Night's Watch himself) would use Night's King (a betrayer of The Watch) as an ally - that is assuming Night's King has lived thousands of years in the first place.
It's been awhile since I read these books, because I don't remember this guy's story at all. I totally forgot that the green seer / 3 eyed crow identified himself.

It's been awhile since I read these books, because I don't remember this guy's story at all. I totally forgot that the green seer / 3 eyed crow identified himself.
Night's King story is in the novels. GRRM has written some novellas about Dunk (Ser Duncan the Tall) and Egg (one of the Aegons). Bloodraven (an albino ******* Targaryen wizard with one eye) plays a role in these novellas. I have them in pdf format (with some typos) if you would like them - just PM me your email address.

He is an old Targaryaen. Older than Maester Aemon(actually Aemon's great-uncle). Was Hand of the King at one point. Fought in the succession wars. Rumored to have been a sorcerer for most of his life, so much that the common folk were terrified of him. Some of his story is in the novellas.(The Sworn Sword takes place during his time as Hand, although I don't think he's actually in the story)

I think we may be looking at 9 or 10 seasons still with crows and dragons 4-5-6 (with some winds of winter leaks in season 6). I guess it depends on how much of crows/dragons is in this season though.

I think grant land is full of it.

To whomever asked, mance was digging for the horn if something something that could crumble the wall when blown.

Of course there's tons about this when you go looking... some thoughts on why Coldhands isn't Benjen:

There are a couple things that lead people to believe Coldhands is not Benjen;

• Leaf, one of the Children of the Forest, says Coldhands was killed "long ago". At this point, Benjen has been missing for about a year and a half. It would be clumsy for humans to call something that happened a year and a half earlier "long ago", and I'd imagine doubly so for a being which is at least 200 years old.
  • Coldhands seems to have ancient knowledge. He knows about the passage through the Night Fort, and that he cannot pass through it,. The Watch at large does not have this information, since Sam has to tell them about it when he returns to Castle Black. But Benjen was First Ranger, and so it's safe to assume that he wouldn't have a compelling reason to hide this information from his brothers.
  • Coldhands can speak the Old Tongue, evidenced when he kills his elk mount. This suggests Coldhands is older than Benjen, and may in fact be centuries old.
  • Bran doesn't recognise Coldhands as Benjen, and Coldhands doesn't reveal himself as Benjen. In ADWD, there's a chapter where Bran and the Reeds openly challenge Coldhands about whether he's leading them into a trap. The Three Eyed Crow has sent Coldhands to lead Bran to him, so if Coldhands was Benjen, it makes little sense to keep himself concealed. Revealed, it would only cause Bran to trust him.

Of course there's tons about this when you go looking... some thoughts on why Coldhands isn't Benjen:

There are a couple things that lead people to believe Coldhands is not Benjen;

• Leaf, one of the Children of the Forest, says Coldhands was killed "long ago". At this point, Benjen has been missing for about a year and a half. It would be clumsy for humans to call something that happened a year and a half earlier "long ago", and I'd imagine doubly so for a being which is at least 200 years old.
  • Coldhands seems to have ancient knowledge. He knows about the passage through the Night Fort, and that he cannot pass through it,. The Watch at large does not have this information, since Sam has to tell them about it when he returns to Castle Black. But Benjen was First Ranger, and so it's safe to assume that he wouldn't have a compelling reason to hide this information from his brothers.
  • Coldhands can speak the Old Tongue, evidenced when he kills his elk mount. This suggests Coldhands is older than Benjen, and may in fact be centuries old.
  • Bran doesn't recognise Coldhands as Benjen, and Coldhands doesn't reveal himself as Benjen. In ADWD, there's a chapter where Bran and the Reeds openly challenge Coldhands about whether he's leading them into a trap. The Three Eyed Crow has sent Coldhands to lead Bran to him, so if Coldhands was Benjen, it makes little sense to keep himself concealed. Revealed, it would only cause Bran to trust him.
Your first point is, IMO, the strongest. Up until that point in the series, I assumed he was Ben - I think there are in-story arguments (plus a meta argument that the author is playing coy) to counter your last 3 points but #1 has me just about sold that he isn't.

But fans of Westeros and its complicated narratives shouldnt panic just yet. Martin has a surprisingly detailed plan for how the show can slow down and give him enough time to catch up:

The season thats about to debut covers the second half of the third book. The third book [A Storm of Swords] was so long that it had to be split into two. But there are two more books beyond that, A Feast for Crowsand A Dance with Dragons. A Dance with Dragons is itself a book thats as big as A Storm of Swords. So theres potentially three more seasons there, between Feast and Dance, if they split into two the way they did [with Storms]. Now, Feastand Dance take place simultaneously. So you cant do Feast and then Dance the way I did. You can combine them and do it chronologically. And its my hope that theyll do it that way and then, long before they catch up with me, Ill have published The Winds of Winter, whichll give me another couple years. It might be tight on the last book, A Dream of Spring, as they juggernaut forward.

Not only that, but Martin is up for a Breaking Bad or Mad Men-style hiatus inserted in the middle of the final season, or even a prequel season

I'm sure Martin is up for all sorts of scenarios that give him extra time to finish the books. I'm not sure HBO is. Is Arya going to be in her 20's when they do the last season?

I'm sure Martin is up for all sorts of scenarios that give him extra time to finish the books. I'm not sure HBO is. Is Arya going to be in her 20's when they do the last season?
I'm not sure that's a big deal though. Arya and Bran are the two where aging is going to show the most - but they also go off and do their own adventures away from the main story - wouldn't be that big of a deal to have in the show some mechanism to explain that Arya's ninja training took a few years, or that Bran was doing his 'act like a tree' thing for a few years, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread