What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (2 Viewers)

I always get freaked out when I run across something like this that I've never heard of. How is it possible that this many people follow something big enough to be picked up by HBO, and it has completely eluded my eye? I may download to the Kindle (and that's not a euphemism).
I think the nature of pop culture today is that, rather than the zeigeist being dominated by huge hits, there are greater numbers of "mini" hits in specific genres, with rabid fans. These books started to come out in the mid 90s, which is around the time this started happening.It's also a niche (albeit popular) genre, fantasy. If you're not into fantasy already, it's understandable you hadn't heard of these. Though I will say that outside of the LOTR books, this is the only fantasy I've read.

Thoughts on the Cast?

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/10/game-of-thr...th-photos-.html

Is this the OFFICIAL thread?
Based on appearance and the mental picture I had in my head:Like:

Boromir as Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

All the Stark children (including Jon Snow)

King Robert

Jaime Lannister

The Station Agent as Tyrion (seems like a no brainer)

Viserys

Jorah

The rest I'm mostly ambivalent about. Not sure I'm seeing Daenerys or Cersei looking like this.

Thoughts on the Cast?

Boromir as Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

King Robert

Jaime Lannister

Viserys

Jorah

The rest I'm mostly ambivalent about. Not sure I'm seeing Daenerys or Cersei looking like this.
In some pics the guy that is to be Jon Snow looks like what I picture Jon Snow, but in others he doesn't. Waiting on some trailers here...And for Tyrion, I always picture the midge from Seinfeld that was Kramer's friend.... I wish I would've pictured this guy first because he seems better suited for the roll... I can't imagine the guy from Seinfeld pulling off the battle at the Red Keep scenes very well...

The whole time I was reading the series I had Dinklage in my mind as Tyrion, that is a slam dunk. He'll totally grasp his sarcastic manner and downtrodden demeanor.

snitwitch said:
TeamDingo said:
Thoughts on the Cast?

Boromir as Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

King Robert

Jaime Lannister

Viserys

Jorah

In general everyone is a little older than they should be but that is to be expected.

Not sure about Arya, going to be very hard to find a girl that can pull that off.

Mark Addy as fat King Robert seems ok but not sure I can picture him ever being the young Robert. Robert is 6'6".

Last edited by a moderator:
Battersbox said:
I always get freaked out when I run across something like this that I've never heard of. How is it possible that this many people follow something big enough to be picked up by HBO, and it has completely eluded my eye? I may download to the Kindle (and that's not a euphemism).
I don't read fantasy, so I had never heard of this series until a few months ago. I read the first book, and I am hooked.

This is more like the Sopranos when the writing was good, but set in a very gritty medieval world with a very small amount of magic sprinkled in. It is brutal. It is violent. It is clever. Probably the best writing I've read in fiction. However, the story is only half-written and with the author being about 340 pounds and old, it may never get resolved.
:lmao: Dude, there are dragons and stuff.
Yeah, plus some magic sprinkled in.
The first scene of the book describes some ghoulish stuff, but then for a very long while it stays away from magic and focuses on politics, action and intrigue. As the series moves along magic is becoming more prominent, but he's certainly a master of medieval lore and fantasy without having to use it as a crutch. It's flavor, the substance is the gritty realism.
That is if you can get over the fact that the writer looks like a pedophile then the books are great. If you can't, well, your loss.
Hopefully his reading comprehension skills will be better than some other readers and he'll be able to actually figure out what was written instead of whatever tangent he seems to think it means.

The problem I have is that the author writing all of this grew up in a society where this is taboo and he looks, with his fatulence and pedophile beard topped off with sailor's cap, like a walking Amber Alert/Megan's Law poster.
:lmao:

Battersbox said:
I think the nature of pop culture today is that, rather than the zeigeist being dominated by huge hits, there are greater numbers of "mini" hits in specific genres, with rabid fans. These books started to come out in the mid 90s, which is around the time this started happening.It's also a niche (albeit popular) genre, fantasy. If you're not into fantasy already, it's understandable you hadn't heard of these. Though I will say that outside of the LOTR books, this is the only fantasy I've read.
Good point. I think t.v. is the best example of what you're talking about. With 150 channels from which to choose (as opposed to 4 or 5 when I was a kid) it's much more difficult for something to catch everyone's eye. Kind of makes things that do reach the pinnacle of public awareness that much more amazing, imo. And LOTR is also my only foray into reading any Fantasy, so I hope this is worth the time. Certainly getting strong endorsements in here.

Battersbox said:
Good point. I think t.v. is the best example of what you're talking about. With 150 channels from which to choose (as opposed to 4 or 5 when I was a kid) it's much more difficult for something to catch everyone's eye. Kind of makes things that do reach the pinnacle of public awareness that much more amazing, imo. And LOTR is also my only foray into reading any Fantasy, so I hope this is worth the time. Certainly getting strong endorsements in here.
LOTR with not nearly as much magic and a lot easier to read. The world he creates is huge and there are a boatload of characters but don't let that distract you. Just keep rolling and in very short order you will not be able to put it down...

Thoughts on the Cast?

Boromir as Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

King Robert

Jaime Lannister

Viserys

Jorah

To me, I always envisioned Cersei as Heidi Klum. It always talks of how supremely beautiful she is. And blonde.

This is my first book into Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I hope it's not too :kicksrock: for me
I'm about 50 pages in on the first book and so far all I can say is . . . meh.Struggling with all the weird character names and places - can't keep track. Will continue to fight through it - hopefully it gets better soon.

This is my first book into Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I hope it's not too :shrug: for me
I'm about 50 pages in on the first book and so far all I can say is . . . meh.Struggling with all the weird character names and places - can't keep track. Will continue to fight through it - hopefully it gets better soon.
First one starts a bit slow but picks up once Ned moves down south

This is my first book into Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I hope it's not too :excited: for me
This series starts to become truly epic in the second book. Even if the latter parts of the first book doesn't hook you in, do yourself a favor and go onto the second and third books.

Thoughts on the Cast?

Boromir as Ned Stark

Catelyn Stark

King Robert

Jaime Lannister

Viserys

Jorah

To me, I always envisioned Cersei as Heidi Klum. It always talks of how supremely beautiful she is. And blonde.
Doubt Heidi Klum has the acting chops to pull off the pure evil that is Cersei.

There is supposed to be a preview of A Game of Thrones (and other upcoming HBO shows tonight) before Trueblood.

I do not yet subscribe so I would love to hear thoughts.

There is supposed to be a preview of A Game of Thrones (and other upcoming HBO shows tonight) before Trueblood.I do not yet subscribe so I would love to hear thoughts.
Thanks for the heads up. I have it set up to record and will give my impression later tonight. :goodposting:

There is supposed to be a preview of A Game of Thrones (and other upcoming HBO shows tonight) before Trueblood.

I do not yet subscribe so I would love to hear thoughts.
Thanks for the heads up. I have it set up to record and will give my impression later tonight. :goodposting:
http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autop...s&view=null

lots of prologue Night's Watch beyond the Wall shots
That clip sucks. I want MORE!!!

HBO Entertainment

Season one will total 10 episodes

Production is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photography

on July 26, 2010.

“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot in

the Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A second

location for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.

LOG LINE:

“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-

selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime,

the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernatural

forces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savage

eastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from the

darkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men vie

for power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.

SERIES CREDITS:

David Benioff - Executive Producer

D.B. Weiss - Executive Producer

Carolyn Strauss - Co-Executive Producer

Guymon Casady - Co-Executive Producer

Vince Gerardis - Co-Executive Producer

Ralph Vicinanza - Co-Executive Producer

George R.R. Martin - Co-Executive Producer

Mark Huffam - Producer

Frank Doelger - Producer

Marco Pontecorvo - Director of Photography

Alik Sakharov - Director of Photography

Gemma Jackson - Production Designer

Michele Clapton - Costume Designer

The pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.

The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.

SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Mark Addy as King Robert Baratheon

Alfie Allen as Theon Greyjoy

Sean Bean as Eddard “Ned” Stark

Emilia Clarke as Daenerys Targaryen

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie Lannister

Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister

Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark

Aidan Gillen as Littlefinger

Jack Gleeson as Joffrey Baratheon

Iain Glen as Ser Jorah Mormont

Kit Harington as Jon Snow

Lena Headey as Cersei Lannister

Isaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran Stark

Harry Lloyd as Viserys Targaryen

Richard Madden as Rob Stark

Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)

Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark

Maisie Williams as Arya Stark

FEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

John Bradley as Samwell Tarly

Ron Donachie as Ser Rodrik Cassel

Jerome Flynn as Bronn

Conleth Hill as Varys

Jason Momoa as Khal Drogo

Donald Sumpter as Maester Luwin

GUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:

Josef Altin as Pyp

Gethin Anthony as Renly Baratheon

Ciaran Bermingham as Mord

Esme Bianco as Ros

Susan Brown as Septa Mordane

Dominic Carter as Janos Slynt

Antonia Christophers as Mhaegen

Kate Dickie as Lysa Arryn

Roy Dotrice as Grand Maester Pycelle

Emun Elliott as Marillion

Lino Facioli as Robin Arryn

Jefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the Vale

Derek Halligan as Alliser Thorne

Rhodri Hosking as Mycah

Margaret John as Old Nan

Finn Jones as Ser Loras Tyrell

Dermot Keaney as Gared

Francis Magee as Yoren

Joseph Mawle as Benjen Stark

Brendan McCormack as Ser Vardis Egan

Ian McElhinney as Ser Barristan Selmy

Luke McEwan as Rast

Kristian Nairn as Hodor

Rob Ostlere as Ser Waymar Royce

Eugene Simon as Lancel Lannister

Jamie Sives as Jory Cassel

John Standing as Jon Arryn

Conan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” Clegane

Peter Vaughan as Maester Aemon Targaryen

Miltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel

HBO EntertainmentSeason one will total 10 episodesProduction is based in Belfast, Northern Ireland and is will begin principal photographyon July 26, 2010.“Game of Thrones” has received funding from Northern Ireland Screen and will shoot inthe Paint Hall studio, Belfast, as well as various locations in Northern Ireland. A secondlocation for production will be Malta with assistance from the Malta Film Commission.LOG LINE:“Game of Thrones” is a new original HBO series based on George R.R. Martin’s best-selling novels. In a world where summers span decades and winters can last a lifetime,the Westeros crown comes with a price. Betrayal, lust, intrigue and supernaturalforces shake the four corners of the Kingdom, from the scheming south and the savageeastern lands, to the frozen north and the ancient Wall that protects the realm from thedarkness beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars and noble men viefor power in the bloody struggle for the Iron Throne.SERIES CREDITS:David Benioff - Executive ProducerD.B. Weiss - Executive ProducerCarolyn Strauss - Co-Executive ProducerGuymon Casady - Co-Executive ProducerVince Gerardis - Co-Executive ProducerRalph Vicinanza - Co-Executive ProducerGeorge R.R. Martin - Co-Executive ProducerMark Huffam - ProducerFrank Doelger - ProducerMarco Pontecorvo - Director of PhotographyAlik Sakharov - Director of PhotographyGemma Jackson - Production DesignerMichele Clapton - Costume DesignerThe pilot was written by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss. The writers of the series are: David Benioff & D.B. Weiss (seven episodes), Bryan Cogman, Jane Espenson and George R.R. Martin (one episode each). “Game of Thrones” is based on the series of books “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R.R. Martin.The pilot director was Tom McCarthy. Series directors include: Brian Kirk, Daniel Minahan and Alan Taylor. Other directors will be announced as they are confirmed.SERIES REGULARS IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:Mark Addy as King Robert BaratheonAlfie Allen as Theon GreyjoySean Bean as Eddard “Ned” StarkEmilia Clarke as Daenerys TargaryenNikolaj Coster-Waldau as Ser Jamie LannisterPeter Dinklage as Tyrion LannisterMichelle Fairley as Catelyn StarkAidan Gillen as LittlefingerJack Gleeson as Joffrey BaratheonIain Glen as Ser Jorah MormontKit Harington as Jon SnowLena Headey as Cersei LannisterIsaac Hempstead-Wright as Bran StarkHarry Lloyd as Viserys TargaryenRichard Madden as Rob StarkRory McCann as Sandor Clegane (Hound)Sophie Turner as Sansa StarkMaisie Williams as Arya StarkFEATURED CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:John Bradley as Samwell TarlyRon Donachie as Ser Rodrik CasselJerome Flynn as BronnConleth Hill as VarysJason Momoa as Khal DrogoDonald Sumpter as Maester LuwinGUEST CAST IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER:Josef Altin as PypGethin Anthony as Renly BaratheonCiaran Bermingham as MordEsme Bianco as RosSusan Brown as Septa MordaneDominic Carter as Janos SlyntAntonia Christophers as MhaegenKate Dickie as Lysa ArrynRoy Dotrice as Grand Maester PycelleEmun Elliott as MarillionLino Facioli as Robin ArrynJefferson Hall as Ser Hugh of the ValeDerek Halligan as Alliser ThorneRhodri Hosking as MycahMargaret John as Old NanFinn Jones as Ser Loras TyrellDermot Keaney as GaredFrancis Magee as YorenJoseph Mawle as Benjen StarkBrendan McCormack as Ser Vardis EganIan McElhinney as Ser Barristan SelmyLuke McEwan as RastKristian Nairn as HodorRob Ostlere as Ser Waymar RoyceEugene Simon as Lancel LannisterJamie Sives as Jory CasselJohn Standing as Jon ArrynConan Stevens as Gregor “The Mountain” CleganePeter Vaughan as Maester Aemon TargaryenMiltos Yeromelou as Syrio Forel
I really like the cast and can't wait for it. Especially Lena Headey. :lmao:

I really like the cast and can't wait for it. Especially Lena Headey. :shrug:
Cast looks great. It was a coup getting Dinklage as Tyrion, like everyone else I had pictured him while reading the novels. (That may be just because Warwick Davis is too old and we don't know any other dwarf actors, but whatever.) The worst part will be the wait in between episodes each week.

I'm debating picking this series up again. I get about halfway through the first book, put it down, and never pick it back up. I've done this three times since the first book came out. I just can't get into it, and fantasy is a genre I tend to enjoy. I don't know that it's worth pushing on to the second book to see what everyone's talking about if the series isn't even close to being finished.

The guy who plays "The Mountain" is 7' tall, 320 lbs, and is a member of MENSA, yikes. You probably don't want to cross that guy.

I'm debating picking this series up again. I get about halfway through the first book, put it down, and never pick it back up. I've done this three times since the first book came out. I just can't get into it, and fantasy is a genre I tend to enjoy. I don't know that it's worth pushing on to the second book to see what everyone's talking about if the series isn't even close to being finished.
I've pretty much given up on the series ever being finished. Martin is too old, heavy, and distracted to ever get it done.

Here are the Blog updates to the book with the latest information coming in on July 8, 2010. Looks like he is wrapping it up. It still pisses me off that it's taking him this long to get his crap in gear.

17 March 2008 Update:

HarperCollins Voyager have released the UK cover for A Dance with Dragon here. GRRM has also confirmed on his Notablog that he has reached the stage of revising and polishing up Bran Stark's chapters, which are usually the most difficult chapters to write and revise.

2 July 2008 Update:

During a signing in Portugal, GRRM has said that the series is currently at its widest scope and scale, and we will see a narrowing of the focus going into the last two volumes in the series

17 July 2008 Update:

During a signing in Spain, GRRM said we might learn the motto for House Clegane, and that more information on Benjen's fate will be revealed in ADWD.

24 July 2008 Update:

During a signing in Seville, GRRM said that there are no Tyrell POVs in ADWD. He has also requested a picture of Daenerys riding a dragon for the Spanish cover of ADWD.

He also confirmed something that may have a bearing on The Winds of Winter:

Spoiler

We will see Loras and Margaery again in the series, indicating that they survive the dubious situations they were in at the end of AFFC, at least long enough for us to see them again.

10 February 2009 Update:

GRRM responds to a fan's observation that Amazon have set a new release date for the book on his blog:

Fan: "Off topic--but I'm very excited to hear about a publication date from your publisher. I thought that we were going to hear it from you first? It would be great to have a confirmation."

GRRM: "Consider this an anti-confirmation. You WILL hear it from me first. As I have said before, numerous times, believe nothing you hear from any other source."

20 February 2009 Update:

GRRM has updated his Notablog with some substantial information about ADWD. GRRM confirms a lot of good progress in the first half of 2008 but some problems in the latter part of the year. Work on the novel remains ongoing.

23 June 2009 Update:

GRRM has posted an optimistic update on his blog stating that the last few weeks have been extremely positive for the book, with several new chapters completed and that he can see the light at the end of the tunnel. He indicates his major remaining problem is to overcome a tangle of plot threads relating to Meereen (and presumably Daenerys). How long this will take is unknown.

SF blogger and Terry Brooks webmaster Shawn Speakman also had this to say a couple of days ago:

The book won't be finished in June. He and I have been writing back and forth the last few days and he told me progress is going slower than he'd like. So I'd say don't expect it until November or December at the earliest.

The good thing is his manuscripts are neat and clean and barely need any editing. The publisher already has the lay out ready, so in short the turn around from turning the manuscript in to getting it on the shelves will be smaller than other books.

As we know now, these dates were not achieved.

10 July 2009 Update:

In an interview with Finnish website Helsingin Sanomat, GRRM has said he hopes now to finish ADWD by the end of the year and to complete The Winds of Winter in three years. As always, such 'hopes' are not set-in-stone deadlines and should not be treated as such.

26 July 2009 Update:

According to GRRM's editor Anne Groell at Comic-Con, ADWD has passed the 'pagecount' of 1,000 manuscript pages. For comparison purposes, AGoT and AFFC were both around 1,050-1,100 MS pages in length, ACoK was about 1,200 and ASoS was over 1,500. She confirmed her hope that the book should appear next year in the USA.

27 July 2009 Update:

Elaboration on the above from Shawn Speakman at Comic-Con:

That's correct. I talked to Anne at length about it... well... because I was standing right next to her for most of the convention as she answered that question over and over and over again.

George has indeed passed the 1000 page mark as of last week and those are, to him according to Anne, finished pages that will not be returned to. He also has several hundred more pages of not completed chapters that every week he makes progress on. Some of those will be in Dance; others will be in the next book. Anne also thinks she'll be getting the book by October or November, which to her would probably make it a February or March 2010 release, although the progress he is making is quickly happening and she could receive it sooner if those incomplete or mostly complete chapters come together faster. I say don't get your hopes up.

So good things are happening. Maybe not fast enough for some of you but fast enough for moi. It just shows that yes he is working on the book despite what some people on the internet(s) say.

4 September 2009 Update:

On his Not-a-Blog, GRRM has confirmed he is re-ordering and re-structuring the 'Meereenese Knot', a part of ADWD that has proven problematic over the years. Based on the previously-released information, it is certain that this 'knot' is part of the process of completing the final 20% of the book (based on the informal 1,200 MS page target mentioned by his editor) before it is finalised and despatched to the publishers. How long the process of finalising this section will take is unknown.

7 October 2009 Update:

ADWD has passed 1,100 pages in manuscript, making it longer than AGoT and AFFC and not short of ACoK. GRRM expresses hope that he can bring the book in at a shorter length than ASoS (1,500 MS pages). He also confirms that the Meereenese Knot issue has not yet been entirely resolved. GRRM also confirms that ADWD will revisit a familiar location:

Spoiler

The ruins of Winterfell

18 October 2009 Update:

At FargoCon 2009, GRRM confirmed that Melisandre is a POV, that Quentyn Martell's chapters will be named in the manner of the AFFC Dornish chapters (with his first one being called 'The Merchant's Man') and there will be one additional POV who is as yet unrevealed. He also revealed that he has written two Cersei chapters, several Sansa chapters and one Arya chapter for The Winds of Winter, with the possibility that editorial changes could have some of these chapters in ADWD instead, depending on the book's size. He also again reiterated that the events of ADWD will extend noticeably past the end of AFFC and that he definitely plans to have all the major POV characters back together again in The Winds of Winter and not split again.

14 November 2009 Update:

In a recent blog post, GRRM's UK editor Jane Johnson indicated that after meeting with GRRM during his recent brief visit to London, she expects to have the finished manuscript of ADWD 'soon', although how soon is soon is unknown.

07 January 2010 Update:

GRRM has made progress resolving the problematic 'Meereenese Knot' section of ADWD, bringing at least one of the reported four chapters involved in the section to a successful conclusion. It is unknown if the other three chapters remain unresolved or if work has progressed on them as well. It also remains unclear how many chapters remain incomplete beyond the knot.

03 February 2010 Update:

In a flurry of progress reports, GRRM confirms bringing another 'Meereeenese Knot' chapter to a successful conclusion, finishing a Jon Snow chapter and, in the most recent report, confirming that additional parts of the book will take place in the vicinity of the Isle of Cedars (the long island separating Slaver's Bay from the Gulf of Grief, near Meereen) and in Dorne.

16 February 2010 Update:

In another burst of progress reports, GRRM has stated that ADWD is now 1,260 manuscript pages in length. Roughly 800 MS pages of this material, about two-thirds of the book so far, runs parallel to the events of AFFC. The remainder of the book takes place after AFFC, and involves the reappearance of some AFFC characters to address their cliffhanger endings in the earlier book (it is unclear if this is a reference to the already-known-to-be-appearing Asha Greyjoy and Arya Stark, or is a hint that other AFFC characters like Jaime and Brienne may also briefly reappear). GRRM also states in this report that the section set on or near the Isle of Cedars has been completed.

16 April 2010 Update:

At the C2E2 comic convention in Chicago, GRRM confirmed that ADWD has an epilogue, which he is currently writing. He does not write the book in a strictly chronological order, however, and that remnants of the Meereenese Knot issue remain to be solved. He also says that ADWD is as complex and tricky to write as 12 'normal' books. He promises to put an unambiguous, "It's done," comment on his website and blog when it is indeed finished. Martin also revealed that disease will be a theme of ADWD as religion was a theme of AFFC and that Tyrion is going to some very dark places, but that he has enjoyed writing Arya's chapters in Braavos in ADWD to the point where he had to restrain himself from writing extraneous material. He re-confirmed that Melisandre would be a POV character in ADWD and we would get to see more of her character, as well as that Daenerys' story had the greatest prominence. He also confirmed his plan to have the fourth Dunk 'n' Egg story take place at Winterfell.

29 April 2010 Update:

In an unusually frank interview with the Dragon Page Podcast, GRRM confirms he has over 1,300 MS pages completed and that he hopes to finish the book "Soon," but will not guess when that is. He also indicates that the principle problem in the writing of both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons has been juggling the problems solved by eliminating the five-year gap with the problems caused by the same elimination. He also cites a growing perfectionist streak, that he no longer believes he should hand in the book when it is "Good enough," but only when it is exceptional. He reiterates that the series is currently in its most complex state, and making the book work has proven inordinately difficult. GRRM also briefly comments on the HBO TV series and Warriors.

23 June 2010 Update:

Suvudu has interviewed Anne Groell, the editor of A Song of Ice and Fire, on the publishing history of the series and how she came to work on it. With regard to A Dance with Dragons, she says:

"Teasing aside, as I sit here knowing how close A Dance with Dragons is to delivery, I am once again filled with a rush of genuine fan-girl excitement. Like the Starks, I too now have a motto. Only mine is: "The new book is coming!" And it always feels like spring."

It should be noted that the Bantam team expressed similar hopes of imminent completion at last year's San Diego Comic-Con, so this statement, whilst encouraging, should not necessarily be taken as a sign of imminent completion of the book.

27 June 2010 Update:

George R.R. Martin has given a detailed account of some recent restructuring on A Dance with Dragons. He revealed that a major event taking place in the late-middle of the book had necessitated the writing of 'reaction' chapters from the point of view of the Dornish, via the POV character of Arianne Martell (introduced in A Feast for Crows and previously not thought to be in ADWD), as well as some other chapters expanding on the event. However, the event has now been moved until later in the book and the 'reaction' material he had been anticipating having to write has now fallen back to The Winds of Winter. As a result, he now has less material to complete for ADWD than envisaged. This also means that ADWD will be somewhat shorter than previously estimated (when it was coming in around the same size as A Storm of Swords). However, GRRM did not comment on what this meant for any estimated timescale of completion and publication. In addition, he confirmed that so far he has one Sansa, one Arya and two Arianne chapters banked for The Winds of Winter. He then confirmed this means that the two previously-completed Cersei Lannister chapters are now in ADWD.

8 July 2010 Update:

At a book signing in San Diego, whilst teaching at Clarion, GRRM confirmed that ADWD has reached 1,400 pages in manuscript. He indicates that he was disappointed not to have finished the book before attending Clarion, but was not drawn on how close completion might me after his return home on the 11th.

Reportedly there will be some new footage/behind the scenes stuff on HBO prior to the True Blood fianle this Sunday...

I wonder if Martin is planning to release Dance With Dragons shortly before this series debuts. Seems like smart marketing to me. Hopefully this HBO series will serve as a catalyst to bringing this excellent book series to a finale.

The more I see of it, the more I like it. One of the big problems with fantasy films/shows is that art direction and costuming can absolutely decimate a good story. So far, everything looks great, even down to the crown symbol on Jamie's breastplate. Kind of hoping Cersei would've been hotter, but at least we know she can play a tough woman well. Also, if this series goes for any length of time it could make Peter Dinklage a near household name. He's very talented and there are very, very few prime time opportunities for dwarf characters to shine.

Crossing fingers for new book soon. Nearing the end of WoT has got me hungry for more fantasy series closures.

The more I see of it, the more I like it. One of the big problems with fantasy films/shows is that art direction and costuming can absolutely decimate a good story. So far, everything looks great, even down to the crown symbol on Jamie's breastplate. Kind of hoping Cersei would've been hotter, but at least we know she can play a tough woman well. Also, if this series goes for any length of time it could make Peter Dinklage a near household name. He's very talented and there are very, very few prime time opportunities for dwarf characters to shine.Crossing fingers for new book soon. Nearing the end of WoT has got me hungry for more fantasy series closures.
I always imagined Heidi Klum as Cersei. She's supposed to be stunningly beautiful. I think they missed the mark a bit but it is all subjective I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread