What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (7 Viewers)

This whole "game of thrones" thing is pretty irrelevant. When is the last time someone in the throne did anything meaningful? Doesn't matter who it is. Everything is is still happening around the world there. I don't think they've done anything to show that the throne has any power at all. Can't even keep a priest from imprisoning the kings mother and wife. It's a useless position. 

Feel like I'm stating the obvious here: Greyjoy's fleet is heading to the Dany, right? She just had hers burned and Greyjoy probably wants to warn Dany that the crazy dude is coming for her. 

This whole "game of thrones" thing is pretty irrelevant. When is the last time someone in the throne did anything meaningful? Doesn't matter who it is. Everything is is still happening around the world there. I don't think they've done anything to show that the throne has any power at all. Can't even keep a priest from imprisoning the kings mother and wife. It's a useless position. 
Just because a donut is not gourmet food doesn't mean you won't see 20 policemen fighting for one.

I was talking about this possibility with a coworker this morning. Unfortunately, Coldhands has been dead a very long time so it's unlikely that it's Benjen. But that doesn't mean that Bran and Meera don't run into Benjen. Personally, I'm hoping for a giant/mammoth vs wight battle.
Interestingly the show runners after the show referred to Benjen as Coldhands..

Man, the showrunners just don't know what to do with Jaime. I thought they were getting him right with his arc a couple of seasons ago, but they've ####ed it up ever since. Now it looks like they're trying to rectify it all at once, but are still holding it back a little. 

Man, the showrunners just don't know what to do with Jaime. I thought they were getting him right with his arc a couple of seasons ago, but they've ####ed it up ever since. Now it looks like they're trying to rectify it all at once, but are still holding it back a little. 
They are just putting hm back where he is in the book - complete with Brienne headed to the same place. 

Yeah, but his falling-out with Cersei is a HUGE deal in the books ("and Moon Boy for all I know"). I thought they were going to reveal the Cersei/Lancel stuff for a minute to piss off Jaime and get him going away from her. 

Sebowski said:
I'm probably in the minority and also following the wrong story, but I find the "game of thrones" aspect exponentially more interesting than all the other stuff. 

They are just putting hm back where he is in the book - complete with Brienne headed to the same place. 
The Riverlands storyline is opening up, Jamie & Brienne headed there, & tonight Frey brought up both the Red Wedding and the Brotherhood.

I'm sticking by my hope that they're setting up Stoneheart for the Episode 9-10 "Holy ####!" moment. Brienne's gonna get got before she catches up with the Blackfish.

I think Stoneheart is coming, too. I don't think I ever thought she WASN'T, but I'm more convinced than ever now.

After sleeping on it, I still don't like how they're handling Jaime. I thought Myrcella's death would be the wedge between he & Cercei, but they are still united. His arc seems wrong without him not having had enough of her. But then, I think the show has mishandled him since season 2.

I'm skittish about where Bran's vision of Aerys might lead and hope what I'm thinking is wrong.

I think Stoneheart is coming, too. I don't think I ever thought she WASN'T, but I'm more convinced than ever now.

After sleeping on it, I still don't like how they're handling Jaime. I thought Myrcella's death would be the wedge between he & Cercei, but they are still united. His arc seems wrong without him not having had enough of her. But then, I think the show has mishandled him since season 2.

I'm skittish about where Bran's vision of Aerys might lead and hope what I'm thinking is wrong.
Innernet rumor that bran is the reason the mad king went mad. Hearing voices and what not

Loved that episode. Not the first time I say this, but I'm a big fan of the "quieter" episodes, particularly when they actually manage to advance the plot.

Arya's back to being Arya, and none too soon. Arya >>>>> "no one". Dany's closing scene was waaaaaaay better than her burning man scene from two eps ago. We got Benjen/Coldhands. Tarly was a proper *******, and Sam taking the sword was a cool moment. Loved seeing Frey again. That actor is so perfect for the role.

All the scenes felt "right" to me last night, with the sole exception of Jaime's characterization. Not sure why they're going that route.

Also, I still hope they keep Stoneheart scrapped. Hate it in the books, would hate it in the show.

Loved that episode. Not the first time I say this, but I'm a big fan of the "quieter" episodes, particularly when they actually manage to advance the plot.

Arya's back to being Arya, and none too soon. Arya >>>>> "no one". Dany's closing scene was waaaaaaay better than her burning man scene from two eps ago. We got Benjen/Coldhands. Tarly was a proper *******, and Sam taking the sword was a cool momenseet. Loved seeing Frey again. That actor is so perfect for the role.

All the scenes felt "right" to me last night, with the sole exception of Jaime's characterization. Not sure why they're going that route.

Also, I still hope they keep Stoneheart scrapped. Hate it in the books, would hate it in the show.
Mace tyrell being an oaf too. What happened???  We lost. Duh

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just glad the Arya thing looks like it's going to come to some sort of mini climax, whatever it is. Time for her to get back to Westeros and do some damage.

Looks like we'll be getting the Clegane bowl too. I hope it's soon, the Kings Landing/Sparrow stuff is so boring.

Gotta believe Sam took that sword for someone else to use. I wonder who it'll end up being. Did Jon keep Longclaw or did he leave it with Ed? I thought he kept it, but :shrug:.

We buying into Jamie being the valonqar? It'd be Martinesque for Arya to somehow use her skills to trick Jamie into killing Cersei.

I'm just glad the Arya thing looks like it's going to come to some sort of mini climax, whatever it is. Time for her to get back to Westeros and do some damage.

Looks like we'll be getting the Clegane bowl too. I hope it's soon, the Kings Landing/Sparrow stuff is so boring.

Gotta believe Sam took that sword for someone else to use. I wonder who it'll end up being. Did Jon keep Longclaw or did he leave it with Ed? I thought he kept it, but :shrug:.

We buying into Jamie being the valonqar? It'd be Martinesque for Arya to somehow use her skills to trick Jamie into killing Cersei.

Trial by combat may not be offered to Cersei - perhaps a result of the new-found alliance between the faith and the crown... the Hound is coming, but I don't think it is for the Mountain.

Gotta believe Sam took that sword for someone else to use. I wonder who it'll end up being.
When he took the sword, I think he did it out of spite. Of course he understands the value of the steel aside from it's rarity, but I think he'll try to trade it for accommodations for Gilly and Little Sam in Oldtown.

When he took the sword, I think he did it out of spite. Of course he understands the value of the steel aside from it's rarity, but I think he'll try to trade it for accommodations for Gilly and Little Sam in Oldtown.
That sword will most definitely be used in battle.

Otherwise the entire storyline is completely worthless.

That sword will most definitely be used in battle.

Otherwise the entire storyline is completely worthless.
I think so too. But I just don't think Sam had a plan to get it to someone that would use it to fight wightwalkers when he took it. He's too far from the wall for it to be fought with any time soon.

I also like the other proposed theory that Sam will use it to try and figure out how to make more of them.
Saw this as well and I would agree that makes the most sense with his backstory so far, and why he is still a big part of the story. The one guy he would presumably give the sword to already has a Valyrian, anyway.

Gilly's kid is the 3rd targ.

Maester Aemon decided to get is wick wet one more time while he still could, so he headed on up to Crasters (because he'd get recognized in Mole Town), knocked Craster out with some spiked Ale and did the business. 9 months later, Gilly pops out Egg II. Sam stole the sword for him.

I love how they gave us no iron born storyline this week. That way it'll be you know, believable, that urine greyjoy has built all his ships and dickless greyjoy and his ugly sister have reached Dany. 

I love how they gave us no iron born storyline this week. That way it'll be you know, believable, that urine greyjoy has built all his ships and dickless greyjoy and his ugly sister have reached Dany. 
Two episodes ago Euron - "Build me 1000 ships!"

Last episode Dany to Daario "How many ships would it take for us all to get to Westeros?" - "1000"

:rolleyes:

Trial by combat may not be offered to Cersei - perhaps a result of the new-found alliance between the faith and the crown... the Hound is coming, but I don't think it is for the Mountain.
If this happens to be right it's going to be the greatest letdown in the history of anything ever.  Disappear the Hound for several seasons, and keep the Mountain around when he should be dead, only to have them still never face off?  That would really suck.

If this happens to be right it's going to be the greatest letdown in the history of anything ever.  Disappear the Hound for several seasons, and keep the Mountain around when he should be dead, only to have them still never face off?  That would really suck.
Well, not have them face off in a Trial by Combat for Cersei.  There could be plenty of scenarios that pit them against each other still.

I love how Euron said to build 1000 ships and then the next week Daario tells Dany he thinks it will take about 1000 ships to get them all to Westeros. 

I dont know - I still think we may see Lady Stoneheart, seems like more than coincidence they have been talking about Brotherhood w/o Banners, Jamie & Brienne abruptly going to Riverrun at the same time, and Walder Frey of all folks popping up in recent episodes.

I think he is just trying to get folks off the scent of this rumor like he did Coldhands/Benjen and Jon Snow being dead.

Michelle Fairley's been pretty clear that she's not coming back. I guess they could use a different actress, but I don't know why they'd do that.

It's interesting that the Jamie/Brienne arcs are kind of going back into the books, but sort of in reverse. I wonder if Brienne makes a stop at the Quiet Isle if she actually does head south. Seems like it'd be out of the way given where she is now but :shrug:  . Maybe she goes south by boat and lands at Saltpans or something.

Users who are viewing this thread