What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (2 Viewers)

Ya, I'd be willing to wager any one person $100 it was the Ramsey wedding. In my mind there's no doubt. He definitely refers back to things in past tense. And what? Was he supposed to say "your off-white" dress? 
I just watched again. I was paying extra double close attention to this scene. He does mention what he can see. He mentions the past. And the present. But not the future. So maybe he was only referring to the Ramsay wedding and what followed. So perhaps I was giving the three eyed raven too much power. We'll see.

RAMSEY MADE HER BUM RED!!!!

That's the horrible thing that Brandon was talking about with the white dress and snow and wedding.  Brandon saw his sisters bum made red by Ramsey.

Question:

Didn't the Night's Watch send a severed Wight hand back to Kings Landing in the HBO series? (I know they sent back Allister Thorne in the book).

Who was running the show at the time? Tyrion?

Question:

Didn't the Night's Watch send a severed Wight hand back to Kings Landing in the HBO series? (I know they sent back Allister Thorne in the book).

Who was running the show at the time? Tyrion?
Don't recall it happening in the series.  In the book Tyrion made Thorne wait for an extended period of time before he was willing to see him, because Tyrion didn't like him when he met him at The Wall.  By the time he saw Thorne the hand had rotted and they laughed Thorne out of the place.

Rewatched.  While I agree the thoughtful background is lacking a little as the pace increases, this episode had some of the best dialogue in a while.  Tyrion somehow manages to make even Jon more amusing.

Tyrion: A sham marriage. And unconsummated.
Jon: I didn’t ask.
Tyrion: Well, it was. Wasn’t. Anyway… she’s much smarter than she lets on.
Jon: She’s starting to let on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have there been any released preview chapters from the next book recently? Last I remember is the Alayne Stone chapter.

bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
Just s simple condensing of story lines....kill everyone at the Sept of balor. Makes it cleaner for tv
I get that but loras does so little in the books, whose part is he playing on the show from the books?  Or did they just expand his?

He was almost killed by Gregor in the Hand's tourney

He was the leader of the Rainbow Guard

He participated in the Battle of the Blackwater

He became part of Joffrey's Kingsguard

He led the siege on Dragonstone and will probably die there

Not a bad book resume.

Fourth episode was leaked and scripts have been leaked for episodes well beyond that. A friend of mine was already spoiled on story developments from later in the plot because someone sent him a link in a group chat and the spoilers were in the url address. I'm shook. 

Fourth episode was leaked and scripts have been leaked for episodes well beyond that. A friend of mine was already spoiled on story developments from later in the plot because someone sent him a link in a group chat and the spoilers were in the url address. I'm shook. 
One of the writers at Deadspin says he watched the leaked episode and posted the details of what he saw. He gives ample spoiler warnings before getting into his recap (the first part of the article is an overview of the hack), but I would suggest not reading the post at all if you don't want to be spoiled.

I did read it and, if he's accurate, holy hell........

Still don't understand why this is a thing.  I get seeing the leaked episode if that's your thing, but I don't know why people want to read ahead and know all of what is coming with the show. 
:shrug:

In my case, it was part accident - I didn't know the article was going there at first. As I said, he then posted about 2 page-scrolls worth of spoiler warnings so I could have stopped but I didn't. I can live with my decision, but I appreciate your concern.

Hell, I'm half-assed spoiled on every episode anyway. I can't watch until Monday evening most weeks and, with this show, it's impossible to touch any corner of media on Monday without something being said about it.

:shrug:

In my case, it was part accident - I didn't know the article was going there at first. As I said, he then posted about 2 page-scrolls worth of spoiler warnings so I could have stopped but I didn't. I can live with my decision, but I appreciate your concern.

Hell, I'm half-assed spoiled on every episode anyway. I can't watch until Monday evening most weeks and, with this show, it's impossible to touch any corner of media on Monday without something being said about it.
Fair enough, and I thought i was posting in the other thread where there used to be people freaking about any advanced knowledge fromm readers.  Seems weird people over there are now going ahead. 

I am not going out of my way to look, but if I stumbled on it, i probably would have done the same as you.  If I thought the show was the best still, i probably wouldn't though. 

I assume from the early excitement over there, a big battle and maybe some boobs happen this week. ;)

Fair enough, and I thought i was posting in the other thread where there used to be people freaking about any advanced knowledge fromm readers.  Seems weird people over there are now going ahead. 

I am not going out of my way to look, but if I stumbled on it, i probably would have done the same as you.  If I thought the show was the best still, i probably wouldn't though. 

I assume from the early excitement over there, a big battle and maybe some boobs happen this week. ;)
In reading the description, it almost seemed like it should have been the episode AFTER tomorrow's. Like there was some stuff missing to set it up, but that could be chalked up to: a) the way the writer wrote it and b) the show seems to have said "#### it" in regards to timelines anyway.

I rarely go into the other thread - some of them have watched/read about the leak? And they are openly discussing it? 

In reading the description, it almost seemed like it should have been the episode AFTER tomorrow's. Like there was some stuff missing to set it up, but that could be chalked up to: a) the way the writer wrote it and b) the show seems to have said "#### it" in regards to timelines anyway.

I rarely go into the other thread - some of them have watched/read about the leak? And they are openly discussing it? 
They haven't been spoiling, but a handful have torrented and watched the episode.  I think a few have said they read spoilers for the season.  

I think all had said it was a great episode and anybody who doesn't like it is dumb.  

A podcast i listen to slipped and said something about a plot for the season, but it wasn't a big deal b/c it's something eveyone thinks will happen and it condenses/combines plots from the books. 

Correct me if I am wrong, in the books it is confirmed that the dagger was given to the cut-throat by Joffrey, right?  In the show, I swear we see the dagger in the book Sam is reading in episode 1. Assume now that Arya has it that there is some significance to it or perhaps she just can kill WWs now. 

I think Tyrion and Jaime came to the conclusion that Joffrey hired the assassin to impress Robert. Robert had said something about Bran being better off dead than crippled and Joffrey heard that. Once it all went sideways, I guess Joff figured it was better to keep his mouth shut.

But, as far as I can recall, there's never been an outright confirmation that it was him. 

Do we have the text readable anywhere???
Here's what the page says....

The Valyrians were familiar with dragon glass long before they came to Westeros. They called it (something) which translates to "Frozen Fire" in Valyrian and castle texts tell of how their dragons would thaw the Stone with dragonflame until it became molten and malleable. The Valyrians then used it to build their strange monuments and buildings without seams and joints of our modern castles.

When Aegon the Conqueror forged his Seven Kingdoms, he and his descendants would often decorate their blades with dragonglass, feeling a kinship with the Stone. The royal fashion for dragonglass ornamentation soon spread throughout the Seven Kingdoms to those wealthy enough to afford it. Hilt and pommels were and are the most common for dragonglass is to brittle to make a useful crossguard. Indeed its very brittleness is what regulates it to the great houses and most successful merchants.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're going to make the Golden Company a thing on the show now? I know they've mentioned it once or twice before, but it still seems like late in the game for this. Maybe its just giving a name to the random mercenary company Cersie is going to have to hire, without getting into the backstory of the Golden Company - or brining in Connington/Young Gryf.

What's the cliffs on the golden girls guys? Iron Bank has their own army, or is it the Bravosian army? Bravorienian? Bravoiacs? "Scenes from next week" don't exist. 

What's the cliffs on the golden girls guys? Iron Bank has their own army, or is it the Bravosian army? Bravorienian? Bravoiacs? "Scenes from next week" don't exist. 
I don't know if I can cliffs it satisfactorily. Here's their wiki page (from the books). 

The Golden Company is a company of sellswords founded by the Great *******, Aegor Rivers, known as "Bittersteel". They are considered the largest, most famous, and most expensive sellsword or mercenary company in the Free Cities. The current captain-general is Harry Strickland.

Despite the notorious unreliability of sellswords, the Golden Company is reputed to have never broken a contract....

The Golden Company is said to be made up of exiles and the sons of exiles [from Westeros].
As of the end of the last published book:

the company sails with Jon [Connington] and Aegon [Young Gryf] from Volon Therys for Westeros via Lys. During the landing of the Golden Company in the stormlands and the Stepstones, the sellswords quickly take the castles of Griffin's Roost, Rain House, Crow's Nest, and Greenstone. Their next plan is to take Storm's End,[11] which is held by Ser Gilbert Farring for Stannis Baratheon.

Dragonstone is a volcano, right? You think the doom of Valyria gets repeated here to stave off the whitewalkers as they advance south? Fire god/lord of light vs. Ice god/lord of darkness.

I understand feeling the way you do - I want to see the books wrapped up, too - but the bolded is a little much. I guess you can contortion into justifying "lazy", though I bet he works harder on the most recent books than he did on the earlier. But, IMO, calling him "unprofessional" is a bridge too far. He doesn't owe us anything. 
I disagree wholeheartedly. When an author purposefully writes an incomplete story with the stated intent of writing more books to complete it, he is then obligated to do all in his power to complete said story.

If he can't, he should get with a younger guy like Sanderson, outline the end-game, and hand it over.

I disagree wholeheartedly. When an author purposefully writes an incomplete story with the stated intent of writing more books to complete it, he is then obligated to do all in his power to complete said story.

If he can't, he should get with a younger guy like Sanderson, outline the end-game, and hand it over.
Mentioned this before... Sanderson is a horrible writer of any kind of adult fiction.

Bravosi

Golden Company is just a mercenary army for hire. There are several such groups in the books: Golden Company, Second Sons (led by Brown Ben Plumm), Windblown, Stormcrows (led by Daario Naharis).

Mentioned this before... Sanderson is a horrible writer of any kind of adult fiction.
While I disagree in general (Elantris is pretty good, his newer series Stormlight Archive is excellant, and he did a fantastic job wrapping up Jordan's work), you are correct that he would probably be a poor choice to wrap up Martin's work. His original works are generally much lighter and cleaner

So they just gloss right over that Jon Snow is truly Jon Targaryan and the rightful king. Marriage to Elia annulled and a secret wedding at same time to lyanna!!!

This plan to go get a wight is so dumb. 

Users who are viewing this thread