What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (4 Viewers)

Rewatching from the beginning before we binge Season 8 and it's noticeable how much better the series is when they're drawing on GRRM's source material.  Once they get beyond the books the show is basically an express train -- sticking to the main story arc and moving 100mph.  It feels like what it is -- a synopsis.

Rewatching from the beginning before we binge Season 8 and it's noticeable how much better the series is when they're drawing on GRRM's source material.  Once they get beyond the books the show is basically an express train -- sticking to the main story arc and moving 100mph.  It feels like what it is -- a synopsis.
And unfortunately, I think that's all we are ever going to get.  It was a slow burn in the books, but to be honest it almost got a big soap opera-ish with the Dorne stuff to be honest.  

And unfortunately, I think that's all we are ever going to get.  It was a slow burn in the books, but to be honest it almost got a big soap opera-ish with the Dorne stuff to be honest.  
I think GRRM has done enough work on the books that someone will complete them even if he dies. Question is if we will survive to see it.  

Very true.  David and DB were MASTERS at bringing the pages to life.  However, since Season 5, the series has  gone from an epic oscar worthy drama, to a summer action popcorn flick (albeit a great one).  I also read somewhere that "THEY" chose Arya to do the deed, because it was more shocking.  I think the books will differ quite a bit from the show at the end of the day and I look even more forward to reading Winds and Spring now if they ever come out . . . . 

Well yeah.....but i think the show did a good job with hardhomme....battle of the bastards......exploding the sept of baelor.....tommen death......cuting dorne.......combining sansa with fake arya....the burning of shireen.....burning of mance....remember all the fake this and glamour of that....killing off robs wife in the show was good too.....i dont miss lady stoneheart either.....now if the early show had current budget id love to see quarth n the house of undying redone.....

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this one?

What if the riff between the actors that play Cercei and Bronn was oversold by the studio in order to hide a twist?

Little too convenient just how skilled and well traveled Bronn is for him not to have a past.  In truth we know less about the man than we do about characters that never even show up on screen.  

Bronn's identity is going to play a significant part to the end game.  He's either a Many Faced God or, more likely someone with an important lineage.

Seems awfully convenient that a top 5 h2h guy just happens to be sitting in the corner of a bar and willing to change the entire trajectory of his life the second a dwarf walks in.

Bronn has been on the other side of the wall, Dorne, and knew Lannister drinking songs before meeting Tyrion.

Bronn talks about it always just being about the money, but his actions have consistently said otherwise.

Very true.  David and DB were MASTERS at bringing the pages to life.  However, since Season 5, the series has  gone from an epic oscar worthy drama, to a summer action popcorn flick (albeit a great one).  I also read somewhere that "THEY" chose Arya to do the deed, because it was more shocking.  I think the books will differ quite a bit from the show at the end of the day and I look even more forward to reading Winds and Spring now if they ever come out . . . . 
Sweet summer child, he's not finishing the books.  This is the only ending we are going to get.  

Remember when Clash of Kings came out, and then Storm of Swords came out the very next year?  That was awesome.
You know what wasn’t awesome. Waiting 6 years for a feast for crows. 

Clearly the guy had the first three books all figured out and doesn’t know how it ends. We are not getting the rest of the books at this point. 

Redwes25 said:
You know what wasn’t awesome. Waiting 6 years for a feast for crows. 

Clearly the guy had the first three books all figured out and doesn’t know how it ends. We are not getting the rest of the books at this point. 
He got lost in the scope of the world and all the great characters he created. He really needed to have some rock solid through lines to the end point to keep himself on track.

What is that?  He is worth like 75mm dollars.  I wouldn't do any work if I were worth that much.  
Did he start the books mainly for money or because he had a story he really wanted to tell? I don't think you can turn out something as good as the 1st 3 books without some sort of love or passion for the work. It's a shame if he's completely lost that.

Did he start the books mainly for money or because he had a story he really wanted to tell? I don't think you can turn out something as good as the 1st 3 books without some sort of love or passion for the work. It's a shame if he's completely lost that.
I don't think it's about losing it.  He seems to be paralyzed by fear of screwing it up.

I don't think he has screwed it up... but he is definitely the only one that can save it. That changes if it is never finished.
It's got to go down differently, significantly differently, than where things have gone in the show after the books were surpassed if he wants to maintain quality though.

It's got to go down differently, significantly differently, than where things have gone in the show after the books were surpassed if he wants to maintain quality though.
It pretty much has to. Dorne is completely different. Sansa is completely different. Ironborn are completely different. Catelyn is completely different. Hell, if it just makes sense and doesn't read like Hollywood fanfic then it will be significantly different/better. 

It pretty much has to. Dorne is completely different. Sansa is completely different. Ironborn are completely different. Catelyn is completely different. Hell, if it just makes sense and doesn't read like Hollywood fanfic then it will be significantly different/better. 
I'm keeping hope alive.

I don't think it's about losing it.  He seems to be paralyzed by fear of screwing it up.
It is that his writing style has been totally stymied by the show getting ahead of him.  They could have made a few more seasons out of the material of the first 5 books, but instead they butchered Dorne. Maybe Winds would have been finished 2 years ago and the final book close to being done had they honored the originals. 

It is that his writing style has been totally stymied by the show getting ahead of him.  They could have made a few more seasons out of the material of the first 5 books, but instead they butchered Dorne. Maybe Winds would have been finished 2 years ago and the final book close to being done had they honored the originals. 
In hindsight HBO was shortsighted in hastening the end of the series. I have to believe, even with humongous production budgets (including the inflation of the actors' salaries), they're still coming out way ahead in profit off this property.

In hindsight HBO was shortsighted in hastening the end of the series. I have to believe, even with humongous production budgets (including the inflation of the actors' salaries), they're still coming out way ahead in profit off this property.
It wasn’t HBO, it was David and DB. HBO wants to milk this to the end, hence the 5 potential “spinoffs” in pilot or pre-production stages. 

Based on these last few seasons (although I really liked season 6), I am very concerned about their Star Wars Old Republic trilogy.  But maybe that is why their writing on Thrones has suffered. 

It wasn’t HBO, it was David and DB. HBO wants to milk this to the end, hence the 5 potential “spinoffs” in pilot or pre-production stages. 

Based on these last few seasons (although I really liked season 6), I am very concerned about their Star Wars Old Republic trilogy.  But maybe that is why their writing on Thrones has suffered. 
If I was an HBO exec, I would have wished David and DB best of luck on their new ventures and hired someone else to run the show once they indicated they wanted to move on. Narratively the show obviously could have supported multiple additional seasons, and it has to be a huge driver of subscriptions (it’s basically the only reason I ever subscribed and continue to subscribe).  

He didnt know how to end it.....period.....
He knows how to end it. The ending was never the problem. The problem for AFFC and ADWD was getting all the people in the right place (and I would argue that that task is still incomplete at the end of ADWD). There was a 5 year gap that was supposed to come between ASOS and AFFC that was scrapped. So GRRM had to write a bunch of stuff that he was going to skip or hadn't thought about to the level of detail needed to write a book. 

If I was an HBO exec, I would have wished David and DB best of luck on their new ventures and hired someone else to run the show once they indicated they wanted to move on. Narratively the show obviously could have supported multiple additional seasons, and it has to be a huge driver of subscriptions (it’s basically the only reason I ever subscribed and continue to subscribe).  
I will still get hbo for curb ur enthusiasm and silicon valley....they will have more hit shows....but yes got is a huge driver

I think the actor is talking out of his ###. If he would have left it at one book maybe I'd let myself believe for half a minute. Both books done? Yeah sure

I'll believe it when I'm 90% done with reading it.

However, the both books thing makes sense.  One of the reasons GRRM was struggling with it was because he was working on how to get everyone to the endgame.  It's pretty plausible that a good portion of book 7 would have to be written in order to figure out if book 6 makes sense in pointing them the right way.

Lmfao you will be lucky to get book 6....and not only that....its spoiled....who reads a spoiled book??? Wanna see what happens to young griff n jon connington? 

Lmfao you will be lucky to get book 6....and not only that....its spoiled....who reads a spoiled book??? Wanna see what happens to young griff n jon connington? 
Yeah and Dorne and Rickon and Bran and Sansa and Littlefinger and Catelyn and plenty of others whose stories seem to have significantly diverged in the show. 

Yeah and Dorne and Rickon and Bran and Sansa and Littlefinger and Catelyn and plenty of others whose stories seem to have significantly diverged in the show. 
well Sansa not being married to Bolton...kinda like what happened to her in the show better....does it still happen? maybe.....

The lady stoneheart thing was weird to, does she get revenge on the Freys? or does arya…...it don't matter....

well Sansa not being married to Bolton...kinda like what happened to her in the show better....does it still happen? maybe.....
I doubt we are going to see Jeyne Poole *and* Sansa marry Ramsay. The pieces for the Battle of the Bastards are already in place in the book. I have a hard time believing Sansa flies from the Vale, gets married to Ramsay (contrary to LF's supposed plans), and *then* there is some conflict between Jon and Ramsay. I wouldn't be surprised if she marries Harrold, LF kills him to consolidate Sansa's power in the Vale, and then tries to marry Sansa himself. 

Huge suspense whether Jon is dead or not; or, if so, whether he will be brought back from the dead.  Imagine reading 20-30 pages of Martin's prose creating the suspense for that, and the later Aegon T. reveal.  I want to read the books, and I believe they will be completed, but its hard for me to think about slogging through 1,200 pages of GRRM to get to a place we already know about.

Huge suspense whether Jon is dead or not; or, if so, whether he will be brought back from the dead.  Imagine reading 20-30 pages of Martin's prose creating the suspense for that, and the later Aegon T. reveal.  I want to read the books, and I believe they will be completed, but its hard for me to think about slogging through 1,200 pages of GRRM to get to a place we already know about.
I dunno... I think that if you have been reading the books Jon being a Targ and Jon not remaining dead is pretty obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread