Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Your favorite Podcast

Cunk

Just finished the Dan Carlin podcast series on Genghis Khan. Eye-opening.

Learned of the crusades of that time in school but that was little-league compared to what was going on with the Mongols. Heard of Genghis Khan but he was on par with someone like Pocahontas. Just a footnote.

The Mongols military supremacy is something I can only compare to 20th-Century U.S. nuclear age. Unstoppable.

If not for a Khan dying from boozing and another from dysentery and likely the Middle-East and Europe are wiped out. So fragile.

Sure their are many instances like this throughout history but the dominance of the Mongols stands out.

her's my rundown, i always grab one of these every day at lunchtime

bill burr monday morning: consistenly funny stuff

hitfix firewall & ice, tv shows: good take on upcoming shows, occasional recaps, and season long recaps

bs report with bill simmons: seems to have been cutting back now that he has the nba gig, enjoy cousin sal a lot

on the couch with sig: the best fantasy football pod right now

espn football fantasy focus: occasionally decent

desert island discs with kirsty young: long time running bbc radio show, really compelling listen every week

occasionally a kevin smith podcast, although not as good as they used to be

ht guys podcast for audio video reviews: i dont listen as much as i used to, but i like these guys

Ryan & Ryan another tv show podcast: for when i want a 2nd opinion on tv shows

grantland hollywood prospectus, with greenwald for recaps on tv shows occasionally

cbs fantasy: eisenberg is underrated, decent chatter here sometimes on fantasy

ATL around the league nfl stuff

Jets Blog Podcast for my NYJ fix

Two Muggs another Fantasy football podcast: just started this one, not bad at all

NPR Tiny Desk Concerts: occasionallys ome great stuff here

WTF with marc maron: depends on the guest, enjoyed the hell out of his stuff with mel brooks, carl reiner and just finished leanard maltin,

The Nerdist: depends on the guest sometimes good, sometimes boring

Fantasy index Podcast: just started this when sig was a guest, actually like it..

Rich Eisen Podcast: depends on guest, somtimes eisen is tough to listen to, other times, hes ok

Edited by mphtrilogy

Jim Florentine's podcast is really funny. A different style than most comedy podcasts, he basically just tells funny stories and is grumpy about things like fireworks and Star Wars.

I started Florentine about a month ago. I like his unpolished style

What about The Film Vault.

I used to listen more, but now it is teetering on unlistenable for me. Banter is bad, the top 5 list topics feel like they have run out of ideas, and lately Brian is worse than normal. Just naming who directed and stared in a movie and a brief synopsis you read off imdb <> discussing a movie. Not convinced he actually watches 1/2 the stuff he talks about.

I have trimmed back a little on my film podcasts. Weekly I listen to Filmspotting for more of the serious/critic side of the movies, and listen to the /Filmcast for the other side. Dabble in a couple others like Double Feature, Now Playing, etc.. but that is fully dependent on what they are reviewing.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished the Dan Carlin podcast series on Genghis Khan. Eye-opening.

Learned of the crusades of that time in school but that was little-league compared to what was going on with the Mongols. Heard of Genghis Khan but he was on par with someone like Pocahontas. Just a footnote.

The Mongols military supremacy is something I can only compare to 20th-Century U.S. nuclear age. Unstoppable.

If not for a Khan dying from boozing and another from dysentery and likely the Middle-East and Europe are wiped out. So fragile.

Sure their are many instances like this throughout history but the dominance of the Mongols stands out.

I enjoyed this series as well. Carlin does stuff that annoys me - the voice he adopts when he quotes somebody is cringe inducing, and his thesis for this series seemed like a bit of a straw man (attacking those who defend the actions of Genghis as a net moral good), but I liked it enough that I've started branching out into some of his other episodes. Edited by thecatch

• 1 month later...

So I have just starting listening to podcasts and was wondering for stuff like radiolab and the truth would you recommend starting from the beginning? Beyond that what would you guys rate as some of the very best completed podcasts or weekly podcasts in any subject. I probably can't keep up with daily podcasts so I'm looking more for the 1-2 recordings a week for a few shows.

So I have just starting listening to podcasts and was wondering for stuff like radiolab and the truth would you recommend starting from the beginning? Beyond that what would you guys rate as some of the very best completed podcasts or weekly podcasts in any subject. I probably can't keep up with daily podcasts so I'm looking more for the 1-2 recordings a week for a few shows.

Radiolab is a different topic each week, so don't need to start at beginning. That said, I bet you will get hooked like most and listen to all you can get your hands on.

Dan Carlin's history podcast is great. they are long, but I think they release every 3 weeks or so. sometimes he completes a topic in a week, sometimes he does a big topic in 5 or so episodes, such as Genghis Khan and WWI.

My favotites are America's Test Kitchen, Maron WTF, and Jalen & Jacoby

Radiolab is a different topic each week, so don't need to start at beginning. That said, I bet you will get hooked like most and listen to all you can get your hands on.

Dan Carlin's history podcast is great. they are long, but I think they release every 3 weeks or so. sometimes he completes a topic in a week, sometimes he does a big topic in 5 or so episodes, such as Genghis Khan and WWI.

Norm Macdonald

Carlin seems to release every three months or so, not three weeks. His stuff is pretty good though. I think I'm going to go back and start buying some of the archived episodes.

So what are the best after show review podcasts for programs like the walking dead, game of thrones, and doctor who? Especially ones with more talk about the episode and not a #### ton of filler crap.

I started listening to "Watching Dead" towards the end of last season. Didn't get to catch it enough to warrant a "must listen" type of recommendation, but it didn't totally annoy me either.

Talk Is Jericho is my current favorite podcast. About 1/2 his guests are wrestlers, but honest stuff. The recent one with HHH was really good.

His non-wrestling guests are great. Last week he had pron star Asa Akira, this week he has Chris Hardwick, and recently did a great 2 part show with Kevin Smith.

Jericho is great in this format.

• Like 1

So what are the best after show review podcasts for programs like the walking dead, game of thrones, and doctor who? Especially ones with more talk about the episode and not a #### ton of filler crap.

I listen to A Cast of Kings. One of the guys from /filmcast and a woman that does another podcast. She has read the books, he hasn't, so there is not a ton of book talk either.

Carlin seems to release every three months or so, not three weeks. His stuff is pretty good though. I think I'm going to go back and start buying some of the archived episodes.

Oof, you are right - I didn't think it was that long between episodes. I also listen to his Common Sense podcast, so must have gotten that one mixed in a little.

Anybody else listening to Serial?

Great so far.

What's this?

There's an NFL/Fantasy podcast thread I think in the SP with some good recommendations.

A weekly story following a murder back in 99. Pretty interesting if you like murder mystery stuff.

Looks like they are going to do one story and chop it up into a lot of shorter episodes like an old radio serial show. They will move on to a different topic I would assume.

I listen to A Cast of Kings. One of the guys from /filmcast and a woman that does another podcast. She has read the books, he hasn't, so there is not a ton of book talk either.

I listen as well. Good stuff.

Dana Gould is one of the smartest, funniest comedians in the world. Hilarious podcast.

I just listened to one... is it always so extremely slanted politically?

I've only listened to six episodes so far, but only one was particularly political.

• 3 weeks later...