What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your favorite Podcast (1 Viewer)

Two of the Impractical Jokers/Tenderloins, Brian Quinn (also of Tell 'Em Steve-Dave on Smodco) and Sal Vulcano have started their own pod, 'What Say You'. It's available on iTunes and Beyond Pod. Pretty good so far starting off.
Sal's story about returning the Wii twice was pretty amusing.

I got mentioned (not by name) in episode 3 of the Tenderloins podcast. Joe starts talking about someone calling Murr a dork on Twitter and starts a brief discussion about how we shouldn't publicly denigrate Murr just because they do. That someone was me. I was sitting in my car eating a sandwich listening when it came up, slightly surreal and very amusing to me. The whole twitter exchange was pretty funny, Joe got after me a bit for the comment and then Sal chimed in and agreed with me that Murr is a dork.

Comedy Bang Bang

Also, have not tried this yet, but it sounds pretty cool: http://www.wnyc.org/mobile/ , http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/10/5492634/wnyc-app-recommends-talk-radio-based-on-your-tastes

it can now begin automatically finding and downloading talk radio that might be of interest to you — effectively building out a Pandora-style radio station that features talk shows instead of music. Because WNYC is an NPR affiliate, shows can include more than just local news: everything from This American Life to Marketplace is available to download, along with broadcasts from other stations as well.

To make finding radio shows even simpler, the app will ask you how much time you have to spend listening and will automatically download a mix of clips to fill that time.

So I'm just getting into podcasts now that I found a good app for them on android (Doggcatcher)

Anyway... I really don't think i'd like any podcasts designed to educate me.. I like music podcasts.. and/or some type of show based on a hobby i like

So far I'm listening to the Monstercat house music podcast, TIesto's club Life, Mad Money with Jim Cramer (don't have time to watch the show, so i listen), and the Spider-Man Crawlspace and the Zane Lamprey show

Last edited by a moderator:
Been finding myself liking Adam Carolla's more and more and others less and less. I get bigger laughs, deeper insights from other podcasts, but his is the most consistent. Used to like Jay Mohr and Aisha Tyler's, but both of those seem to be slipping.

Been finding myself liking Adam Carolla's more and more and others less and less. I get bigger laughs, deeper insights from other podcasts, but his is the most consistent. Used to like Jay Mohr and Aisha Tyler's, but both of those seem to be slipping.
Funny, I basically only listen to Carolla when he has Mohr or Tyler on, and was thinking about trying their podcasts. I've been listening to Carolla for years and unfortunately I've heard all his jokes and stories 10x now.

Anyone listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk? Wondering if its worth a listen, he has a lot of famous guests, which is cool, but I'm wanting to hear him talk about the universe, etc, and not just interview people.

Bill Burr's Monday morning podcast is the only one I listen to regularly.

I need to add more but I prefer light listening. Nothing serious like you know responsible adults.

Funny, I basically only listen to Carolla when he has Mohr or Tyler on, and was thinking about trying their podcasts. I've been listening to Carolla for years and unfortunately I've heard all his jokes and stories 10x now.
When Mohr or Tyler have a name that you've heard of, I still find them very good. But both of them rely on their guests to have an interesting discussion and now that they've been around for a while, they are not exactly getting their first choices for guests.

When Mohr or Tyler have a name that you've heard of, I still find them very good. But both of them rely on their guests to have an interesting discussion and now that they've been around for a while, they are not exactly getting their first choices for guests.
That's pretty much how Carolla is, though he's notorious for not being very interested in most of his guests.

I find WTF to be the same; only worth a download if it's a big name or someone interesting. Lately Maron's guests have been pretty bad/uninteresting and I can't even remember the last time I listened. And even when I do, I'm in the "fast forward through the first ten minutes" camp.

as an aside, how does anyone make money doing this?
Same way they do with regular talk radio - sell ads.
ok, sounds good.. maybe only the good popular podcasts do that, i've never heard an ad on one of the podcasts I listen to
some have a subscription or partial subscription model. Maron is like $8 a year to have access to the full archive (like 300 shows) rather than the free version which is like the last 30 at any given time.

I find WTF to be the same; only worth a download if it's a big name or someone interesting. Lately Maron's guests have been pretty bad/uninteresting and I can't even remember the last time I listened. And even when I do, I'm in the "fast forward through the first ten minutes" camp.
oh yeah. i never listen to that monologue and i don't really find him very funny or interesting. but usually about every other guest is pretty interesting to me and i do like the resulting interviews, so i guess he's doing something right.

Anyone listen to Neil deGrasse Tyson's StarTalk? Wondering if its worth a listen, he has a lot of famous guests, which is cool, but I'm wanting to hear him talk about the universe, etc, and not just interview people.
Good, mostly. My 10-year-old likes to listen in the car, after getting hooked on Cosmos. The only bad thing is the amount of commercials/breaks and the way he structures it with intros/outros in eahc break. It's basically what a podcast would sound like if it were broadcast on FM radio (only you at least can FF.)

Eugene Mirman>Chuck Nice, when it comes to his guest co-hosts.

as an aside, how does anyone make money doing this?
I don't think anyone does. They mostly hope to break even while building a following. For comedians, if they can break even and develop an audience who will see them when they tour, that's a big win for them.

The guy who did the Byzantine emperors podcast got a book deal out of it. If Mike Duncan ever did anything I had to pay for, I'd pay for it - I'm a fan.

I've probably spent about $20 combined for Scott Sigler stuff, which I wouldn't have done if I hadn't found his free serialized audiobooks.

Wonder if this will have real legs:

http://www.insidecounsel.com/2014/05/06/alleged-patent-troll-claims-it-owns-podcasting?ref=nav

Today, millions of people listen to online podcasts from their favorite comedians. Podcasts have been around since 2004, initially to supply non-music programming for iPods. Apple later started offering podcasts through downloads via iTunes in 2005. As the popularity of smartphones and tablets has eliminated the need for downloads, sites like SoundCloud now offer instant listening on the Web and via smartphone apps. But, it turns out that podcasts could be in peril, due to a newly emerging patent lawsuit.

The basic patent troll business model consists of getting a patent, suing a business that can't afford to pay for legal defense, and then negotiate nuisance settlements. It's easy and lucrative. The problem for company PersonalAudio is that it sued Adam Carolla, of "Loveline" and "The Man Show" fame – an outspoken celebrity.

James Logan, founder of PersonalAudio, claims he has never made a podcast, but has helped create the medium of podcasting in 1996 – and he has the patents to prove it. According toUSA Today, in a legal battle, PersonalAudio is suing comedian Carolla's ACE Broadcasting, two other podcasters and networks Fox, CBS and NBC, claiming they are infringing on his intellectual property. According to The Economist, PersonalAudio once owned a patent on customized cassette tapes with current news. It updated that patent in 2009 to cover any serialized podcast that can be downloaded from a specific URL.

Before the trial begins in September, Carolla is raising money for legal fees against patent trolls. According to Carolla, he needs $1.5 million to face PersonalAudio in an East Texas courtroom that has been favored by patent litigants. So far, Carolla has pulled in just over $370,000 on the Fundanything.com, including a $20,000 donation from e-commerce giant Amazon.

"The first thing they (PersonalAudio) said was 'Give us $3 million,'" said Carolla, whose show is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the most downloaded podcaster ever. "Obviously, $3 million is out of the question. But even if they said tomorrow, 'Give us $100,000, and this will all go away' — $100,000 for what?"

The trials — six separate suits between PersonalAudio and Carolla, Discovery Networks, podcaster Togi Entertainment and the broadcast networks — will take place in Marshall, Texas with 24,000 residents. As of late, Marshall has become the "patent trial capital," a popular place to get a trial in a city whose docket isn't filled with other cases waiting to get a hearing.

Logan's 1996 concept was downloadable entertainment via the Internet to a new kind of MP3 player he was trying to market. The product fizzled, so he switched gears to subscription of cassette tapes. He was granted several patents, which included the notion of having downloaded playlists. In 2009, PersonalAudio amended the patent to include podcasting. Then, PersonalAudio sued Apple over the issue of playlists, which it popularized with the iPad, and won an $8 million settlement in 2011.

Many say the patent system has gone out of control. Big companies such as Apple, Samsung and Google regularly battle one another in court over patents, but many small firms have complained about getting letters from firms like PersonalAudio that don't pertain to their business but cause them to settle, since patent litigation is very expensive.

"So many entrepreneurs are doing good things; it puts a damper on the entrepreneurial work they're doing," said Charlene Li, an analyst with the Altimeter Group. "The patent office is trying to fix this."

There are several bills in Congress that are aiming to tighten up patent laws, but with gridlock in Washington, they aren't expected to pass this year.

I'm looking forward to the Haiti part of the Revolutions podcast. I think that's the only successful slave revolt in history.

Wonder if this will have real legs:

http://www.insidecounsel.com/2014/05/06/alleged-patent-troll-claims-it-owns-podcasting?ref=nav

Today, millions of people listen to online podcasts from their favorite comedians. Podcasts have been around since 2004, initially to supply non-music programming for iPods. Apple later started offering podcasts through downloads via iTunes in 2005. As the popularity of smartphones and tablets has eliminated the need for downloads, sites like SoundCloud now offer instant listening on the Web and via smartphone apps. But, it turns out that podcasts could be in peril, due to a newly emerging patent lawsuit.

The basic patent troll business model consists of getting a patent, suing a business that can't afford to pay for legal defense, and then negotiate nuisance settlements. It's easy and lucrative. The problem for company PersonalAudio is that it sued Adam Carolla, of "Loveline" and "The Man Show" fame an outspoken celebrity.

James Logan, founder of PersonalAudio, claims he has never made a podcast, but has helped create the medium of podcasting in 1996 and he has the patents to prove it. According toUSA Today, in a legal battle, PersonalAudio is suing comedian Carolla's ACE Broadcasting, two other podcasters and networks Fox, CBS and NBC, claiming they are infringing on his intellectual property. According to The Economist, PersonalAudio once owned a patent on customized cassette tapes with current news. It updated that patent in 2009 to cover any serialized podcast that can be downloaded from a specific URL.

Before the trial begins in September, Carolla is raising money for legal fees against patent trolls. According to Carolla, he needs $1.5 million to face PersonalAudio in an East Texas courtroom that has been favored by patent litigants. So far, Carolla has pulled in just over $370,000 on the Fundanything.com, including a $20,000 donation from e-commerce giant Amazon.

"The first thing they (PersonalAudio) said was 'Give us $3 million,'" said Carolla, whose show is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records as the most downloaded podcaster ever. "Obviously, $3 million is out of the question. But even if they said tomorrow, 'Give us $100,000, and this will all go away' $100,000 for what?"

The trials six separate suits between PersonalAudio and Carolla, Discovery Networks, podcaster Togi Entertainment and the broadcast networks will take place in Marshall, Texas with 24,000 residents. As of late, Marshall has become the "patent trial capital," a popular place to get a trial in a city whose docket isn't filled with other cases waiting to get a hearing.

Logan's 1996 concept was downloadable entertainment via the Internet to a new kind of MP3 player he was trying to market. The product fizzled, so he switched gears to subscription of cassette tapes. He was granted several patents, which included the notion of having downloaded playlists. In 2009, PersonalAudio amended the patent to include podcasting. Then, PersonalAudio sued Apple over the issue of playlists, which it popularized with the iPad, and won an $8 million settlement in 2011.

Many say the patent system has gone out of control. Big companies such as Apple, Samsung and Google regularly battle one another in court over patents, but many small firms have complained about getting letters from firms like PersonalAudio that don't pertain to their business but cause them to settle, since patent litigation is very expensive.

"So many entrepreneurs are doing good things; it puts a damper on the entrepreneurial work they're doing," said Charlene Li, an analyst with the Altimeter Group. "The patent office is trying to fix this."

There are several bills in Congress that are aiming to tighten up patent laws, but with gridlock in Washington, they aren't expected to pass this year.
Scheduled for a september trial date

Short Corner said:
How does Duncan compare to DanCarlin's podcasts?
Different - I'd say that Duncan is telling us history, while Carlin is reacting to history. Carlin's more excitable and relates things to modern days more, but Duncan is a bit more organized and gives pretty straightforward facts, though he does have a dry sense of humor that shows up a fair amount. Audio quality-wise, Duncan was a little rough when he started off on History of Rome, but he's been very solid since he got some better equipment. Carlin's perfectly clear, but varies his speech volume for effect too much, to my annoyance when he goes soft and I can't hear him.

I like both a lot - two of my favorites.

• 'This American Life' To Launch New 'Serial' Podcast July 2, 2014 at 7:00 AM (PT)Be the first to comment!
  • Coming This Fall
    THIS AMERICAN LIFE is launching a new podcast separate from the popular CHICAGO PUBLIC MEDIA public radio show and podcast. "SERIAL" will debut this FALL and will consist of stories spread out over several episodes each.

TAL producer SARAH KOENIG will host, and TAL Senior Producer JULIE SNYDER is producing the new show.

TAL creator/host IRA GLASS wrote on the show's blog, "it’ll be a weekly podcast, not a radio show at all. The main way it’s different from THIS AMERICAN LIFE is that instead of bringing you a different theme each week, every episode of SERIAL will bring you back not just to the same theme but to the same story, to bring you the next chapter. We’re starting with a crime story, that’ll run for about a dozen episodes. Our hope is that it’ll play like a great HBO or NETFLIX series, where you get caught up with the characters and the thing unfolds week after week, but with a true story, and no pictures. Like HOUSE OF CARDS, but you can enjoy it while you’re driving."

This American Life is awesome. The one this month about The Education of Little Tree was quite good.

Revolutions by Mike Duncan is almost as good as his The History of Rome.
I'm still catching up on Revolutions, but I'll second this.
I learned about The History of Rome in FBGs. Truly outstanding. Guess I know what I'm listening to next.
On the recommendation of this thread I started history of Rome and I'm almost done with the whole series. Love it. You have to battle through the first 10 episodes or so when Duncan was still figuring things out in terms of delivery and mixing in a little humor, but if you stick with it it is fantastic.

How does Duncan compare to DanCarlin's podcasts?
Different - I'd say that Duncan is telling us history, while Carlin is reacting to history. Carlin's more excitable and relates things to modern days more, but Duncan is a bit more organized and gives pretty straightforward facts, though he does have a dry sense of humor that shows up a fair amount. Audio quality-wise, Duncan was a little rough when he started off on History of Rome, but he's been very solid since he got some better equipment. Carlin's perfectly clear, but varies his speech volume for effect too much, to my annoyance when he goes soft and I can't hear him.

I like both a lot - two of my favorites.
I agree with this. And I love Duncan's sense of humor.

The Nerdist podcast has been mentioned before and I'm a recent convert. Since I subscribed to the feed I've been going back into the archives and listening to pods with people I'm interested in. Even if you have no interest in the Nerdist podcast, do yourself a favor and go pull the first one they did with Tom Hanks ( I haven't listened to the second one yet but I will very soon). Holy crap is it funny, interesting, and downright entertaining.

Abraham said:
This American Life is awesome. The one this month about The Education of Little Tree was quite good.
That was fantastic. Johnny Depp needs to get on that script. Seems made for Hollywood.

Is there a master list or anything? I'm interested, but not sure I'm interested enough to slog through the whole thing.

I learned about The History of Rome in FBGs. Truly outstanding. Guess I know what I'm listening to next.
On the recommendation of this thread I started history of Rome and I'm almost done with the whole series. Love it. You have to battle through the first 10 episodes or so when Duncan was still figuring things out in terms of delivery and mixing in a little humor, but if you stick with it it is fantastic.
Caught up with Revolutions through the American revolution - Duncan is much, much better at the whole podcasting thing now than he was during most of Rome, and I'm loving it even though I'm not as interested in the subject matter. My only problem is I want to wait until he is done with each revolution before listening to the set, so I'm basically putting off the French Revolution until he finishes in a few months.

Any other similar history podcasts out there? I will check out the Carlin one referenced earlier.

Caught up with Revolutions through the American revolution - Duncan is much, much better at the whole podcasting thing now than he was during most of Rome, and I'm loving it even though I'm not as interested in the subject matter. My only problem is I want to wait until he is done with each revolution before listening to the set, so I'm basically putting off the French Revolution until he finishes in a few months.

Any other similar history podcasts out there? I will check out the Carlin one referenced earlier.
Lars Brownworth has two - a Byzantine one and a Norman one. The Byzantine one inspired Duncan.

Another one I listen to "The Podcast History of Our World." The podcaster, Rob Monaco, is not as good as Duncan (he tries to force humor a bit too much), but it's interesting enough.

I'm not far enough in to give a full review, but, from what I've listened to, the "British History Podcast" is pretty solid too.

Eddie Trunk has a new podcast out, pretty good if you are into rock/metal. Guests so far: Judas Priest , Night Ranger, King Diamond. Intersting conversations. This week is Brian May from Queen.

I heard one a few weeks ago that was pretty funny. The host has a guest on and they get high on air and then have a stoner conversation for the rest of the podcast. Can't remember the name of it.

Users who are viewing this thread