Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

48 Days on Master Cleanse

Chaka

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS SIMPLY AN EXPLANATION OF FACTS. IT IS IN NO WAY AN ENDORSEMENT OR RECOMMENDATION THAT ANYONE ELSE ATTEMPT TO GO ON MASTER CLEANSE FOR AS LONG AS I DID. ALSO BE AWARE THAT MY DOCTOR WAS AWARE OF WHAT I WAS DOING AND I CONSULTED HIM REGULARLY.

This is a long, sorry for that but I want to be thorough, so if you just want to know the numbers go to THE RESULTS paragraphs.

A LITTLE ABOUT ME: 37 years old, 6’1” single white male of German and Ashkenazi Russian descent. My health has always been excellent even though I have struggled with weight most of my life. I just pack it on easily. I have never had any disease, serious illness, high cholesterol or high/low blood pressure and I almost never get sick and that is not hyperbole. I can remember being sick only one time since I was 16 years old. Good genetics I guess.

THE PROGRAM (SCHEDULE): I started the Master Cleanse on November 26th, 2006 from December 23rd through January 1st I stopped cold and in the holiday spirit of mom's home cookin' gorged on everything that passed my plate. This wasn’t easy as my stomach had shrunk and I didn’t feel to great on the 23rd but I adjusted quickly. You just can’t be expected to drink lemonade during the holidays. I started the cleanse again on January 2nd, because I didn’t want to come off it so dramatically, and continued until January 23rd. During that time there were four occasions that I went out with friends to eat, rather then explain the program to them (you would be surprised how negatively people react to such things) I ordered a cup of soup (broth based) and a side salad and never finished either. All told I was on The Cleanse for 48 days, with the salt water and everything. I also stopped taking all my vitamins and minerals the only thing I did not give up were the two cups of green tea I drink every day.

THE LEMONADE: 1 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1 cup GRADE B maple syrup, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Fill with water to two quarts. That’s it. (Calories: 920, Carb 230, Pro 0.9, Fat 0.6, Calcium 23% DV, Potassium 27% DV, Zinc 90% DV) DV=Daily Value.

THE PROGRAM (MENTAL ASPECT): Originally I planned to do this for only 3 days but on the 4th day I was not hungry so I decided not to stop until I actually got hungry. It was weird but I simply never got hungry, maybe on four occasions I had an actual hunger pang but a glass of juice always took care of it. I think I missed the act of eating meals but hunger was simply not an issue. I was never lacking in energy, in fact I started waking up earlier and was more productive throughout the day. THE ONE DRAWBACK and this started in earnest in early January is that I was cold, very, very cold most of the time. I would wear a long sleeve compression shirt, a thermal shirt, one or two long sleeve T’s and a hoody and was still a little cold. Wearing a skull cap helped a lot but I was still dreadfully cold. Still I did not get sick and it seemed that everyone I knew was trying to give me the flu. In late December my roommate’s young son visited and he had the flu, my roommate got it, recovered a little then relapsed, our secretary got it. I was surrounded by the flu for about 10 straight days but never got sick. Go figure. I attribute this to my genetics but it suggested to me that my immune system had not been compromised during the Cleanse.

THE PROGRAM (WORKOUT): At first I attempted to continue my workouts as per usual but I quickly realized that it would be a mistake to do so with no protein intake. I started a maintenance routine of push-ups and stomach crunches every morning right out of bed and every night before retiring (30 & 100 on Nov 26th, 55 & 220 today). Starting January 2nd I started going to the gym every morning around 6:20am and I have been doing 30 minutes of cardio work, 3 times/week on the treadmill (between 5.5-6 mph) 2-3 times/week on the elliptical (same pace), occasionally I substitute 30 laps in the pool (25 meter) for a day of elliptical training. I follow up every workout with 20 minutes in the sauna, not really for any additional calorie burning (though you do burn about 200 in 20 minutes) but because there is a lot of peer reviewed data that says 20 minutes in the sauna will double the level of circulating HGH, increase levels of cortisol which reduces stress and inflammation plus there is an increase in beta-endorphins which make you feel good, very good actually. It is also good for the skin. I also lived in Finland for two years and learned to not only love sauna but I NEEDS me some sauna. I have had no problems with post workout recovery at all. As I increase my calories I will increase my workouts accordingly.

THE RESULTS (DOCTOR’S VISIT): On January 23rd, the first day off the Cleanse, I went to my doctors and got a physical with bloodwork. My kidney and liver function are perfectly normal and all my electrolytes are within normal ranges. PM me if you want specific numbers. My doc says I am the picture of health.

THE RESULTS (BODY MEASUREMENTS): On November 26th I weighed 225 lbs with 23% body fat (51.75 lbs of fat) on January 23rd I weighed 180 lbs with 16% body fat (28.8 lbs of fat). Keep in mind that even though I lost 23 lbs of fat I also lost 22 lbs of mostly muscle and some water. I gotta say in all honesty this is the first time in a loooong time that I feel like I look fantastic nekkid I have some before pics, but I haven’t taken the afters yet.

THE AFTERMATH: You should be aware that this is supposedly a detox program (though I have no evidence that I shed any toxins) and you will gain some of, maybe all, the weight back and if you are not extremely careful it will come as fat. I know I will gain some weight, I want to actually, but I am taking extremely strict precautions with my diet for the next couple of months to limit the amount and type of weight gain. Over the past 8 days, since I stopped, I have been averaging about 947 calories/day, 111g protein/day, 13.7g fat/day & 105.3g carbs/day (22g dietary fiber/day). I want to slowly ramp up my caloric intake to about 1500/day over the next 2 months.

I am taking 3 supplements; a multi vitamin, calcium and an Omega 3/6/9 supplement from Henry’s market lable ( Whole Foods also carries them I believe). I chose them because they are supposedly “food source” vitamins and therefore have a high degree of bio-absorption.

I also drink (eat really) one cup of plain kefir with 2 tbsp of psylium husk every morning to make sure that my daily fiber intake gets to 25g (with spinach salad a slice of homemade wheat bread and an apple or pear I have hit or come very close to the mark every day). The kefir provides probiotic bacteria, good stomach bacteria, to aid in digestion and I truly believe it helps a lot. I am avoiding almost all processed foods, added sugar, pastas and grains except for bread that I make myself (breadmakers and Kitchen Aid stand mixers are very cool machines). I also bought a juicer that I use almost every day for a nice calorie and vitamin boost before the gym (carrots work great, so do tomatoes and broccoli, eat the crowns with your salad and save the stalks for juicing). Alcohol is now a luxury item; I plan to eventually work in a glass of red wine with dinner but just having a beer for the sake of having a beer is right out. The Super Bowl, fortunately is a luxury item occassion. Bottom line is I have not been hungry in the least.

THE STOMACH: I effectively gave myself a natural stomach stapling. The stomach is a dynamic organ and it does shrink and expand and mine sure shrank, boy-howdy. My biggest concern is keeping my stomach the size it is, which means multiple meals a day (I eat something about every two hours) and no gorging. As long as my stomach stays this size I doubt I will suffer from hunger pangs or cravings. In 8 days I have not gained an ounce nor increased my body-fat at all, of course when you eat 950 calories a day that is to be expected. Remember my medical results were excellent so I have no concern that I may be undernourished.

THE AFTERMATH (PART II): I also bought a Homedics scale which measures body fat, muscle mass, water level and bone density. These scales provide rough estimates (+/- 2%) but they provide a baseline from which to measure my progress. I invested in a piece of software called Crosstrainer to help monitor my food intake and exercise patterns. I have found it very useful. And I purchased a heart rate monitor to help monitor my workout efficiency.

After these results I plan to do 7-10 day cycles on the cleanse 3-4 times a year.

That’s pretty much it. For those who are interested I will update body weight and body fat measurements about once a month.

Any questions?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Colonblow Diaries 2?

Shtick dead. PM Nipsey.
Worked well for me. I just couldn't post about it because of the constant hate. You can post endlessly about filling your body with crap on this board, but the second you post that you won't put crap into your body, suddenly 80% of footballguys are dieticians.

Good for you man. Seriously.I used to do a weekend fast every other month or so. To give my body a chance to recover from all the terrible, terrible things I would do to it.

Thanks.Even I think I went overboard but I can't argue with the results and the doctor was truly impressed with the test results.

Colonblow Diaries 2?

Shtick dead. PM Nipsey.
Worked well for me. I just couldn't post about it because of the constant hate. You can post endlessly about filling your body with crap on this board, but the second you post that you won't put crap into your body, suddenly 80% of footballguys are dieticians.
Yeah it is funny how people react when you tell them you are doing something like this (though 48 days is tough to justify to anyone).They sometimes treat you worse than if you were a smoker. It is odd. I think perhaps people don't like it when others show more discipline/dedication towards self improvement than they do themselves. Jealousy perhaps?Any psychologists out there want to comment on this phenomenon?

Colonblow Diaries 2?

Shtick dead. PM Nipsey.
Yeah it is funny how people react when you tell them you are doing something like this (though 48 days is tough to justify to anyone).They sometimes treat you worse than if you were a smoker. It is odd. I think perhaps people don't like it when others show more discipline/dedication towards self improvement than they do themselves. Jealousy perhaps?Any psychologists out there want to comment on this phenomenon?
I never said it was bad.....I was even considering it for myself....

Colonblow Diaries 2?

Shtick dead. PM Nipsey.
I never said it was bad.....I was even considering it for myself....
I said your shtick was funny. I was commenting on Nipsey's observations.You're a good person Steve Tasker for Prez I don't care what anyone else says about you.

I may give this a shot during Lent.

Good timing.

Remember the Franklin mint cannot guarantee that future returns will be the same as those on previous items.

45 days, how did you do that? The mental discipline. :pics:

Surprisingly it was not really difficult but I am very much of the go hard or go home mind set.

I originally intended to do it for three days but when I wasn't hungry on the 4th I decided to keep going until I got hungry. Finally I accepted the fact that I would just have to pick a date and start eating again.

Gonna step out for a bit but will answer all questions when I return.

Kudos bro. I am on a lifestyle change of my own and have a long way to go. Also went to hit certain goals before I would even think of posting an entire thread about what I am doing. Good luck to you, it sounds like you are not just reaching physical goals but might have also pushed thru some emotional and mental barriers as well.

Kudos bro. I am on a lifestyle change of my own and have a long way to go. Also went to hit certain goals before I would even think of posting an entire thread about what I am doing. Good luck to you, it sounds like you are not just reaching physical goals but might have also pushed thru some emotional and mental barriers as well.

Thanks. You may be right. It is definitely all about lifestyle change, this was not supposed to be a diet, truly it wasn't, but I have been gearing up to start something new and significant in my life and I am an all in kind of guy.

45 days, how did you do that? The mental discipline. :thumbup:

Surprisingly it was not really difficult but I am very much of the go hard or go home mind set.

I originally intended to do it for three days but when I wasn't hungry on the 4th I decided to keep going until I got hungry. Finally I accepted the fact that I would just have to pick a date and start eating again.

Yeah, radically altering your diet is tough. The first 3 days are the hard part. First day isn't so bad. The second and third are horrible. Then when you hit day 4, your body suddenly seems to accept it.

I think a GREAT time to try to lose weight is immediately after you recover from the flu or something where you've lost your appetite for 2-3 days. The hard work is already done. Your body is more ready for a change.

Oh another trick is for those first 3 days when you're making the transition, prepare yourself to sleep a LOT. I won't go as far as to say take sleeping pills, but ANYTHING to prevent you from eating is good. If you are unconscious, you cannot eat lol. Especially good for days 2-3. Take those days off from work and stay in bed.

45 days, how did you do that? The mental discipline. :thumbup:

Yeah, radically altering your diet is tough. The first 3 days are the hard part. First day isn't so bad. The second and third are horrible. Then when you hit day 4, your body suddenly seems to accept it.

I think a GREAT time to try to lose weight is immediately after you recover from the flu or something where you've lost your appetite for 2-3 days. The hard work is already done. Your body is more ready for a change.

I would have but I never get sick and I got tired of waiting.

Oh another trick is for those first 3 days when you're making the transition, prepare yourself to sleep a LOT. I won't go as far as to say take sleeping pills, but ANYTHING to prevent you from eating is good. If you are unconscious, you cannot eat lol. Especially good for days 2-3. Take those days off from work and stay in bed.

I disagree with this. First of all the idea is to detoxify your body so pumping it full of pills probably isn't the best way to do that, plus I am not sure how those things will affect an empty stomach an ulcer is a legitimate possibility.Secondly part of the process is to teach yourself some discipline. I hate to hear people talk about how they are "starving" and couldn't go a day without food or some such nonsense. It is a silly complaint, the human body can survive almost a month without food and up to a week without water. I can give plenty of examples of both and so can you. This plan provides both calories and fluids, the only other thing it required from me was desire.Also this is not an endorsement for anyone else to try it, I was under the supervision of a doctor. Maybe I should have made like Morgan Spurlock and made me a documentary.

That would make want to binge for sure. Stay home in bed, pop a few beers, open a bag of chips...smoke a bowl or two, at this point the pizzeria down the street is sounding tempting...we have a full 3 alarm buffett pending at this point.Get out of bed and start exercising.

How much weight did you lose from start to finish?

45 lbs total from 225 to 180. Dropped from 23% body fat to 16%
Once I'm back on Adderall, I'm all over this.
Sorry to hear you need that, it also kind of defeats the purpose of doing a body detox. It may be more beneficial if you tried it for a week before you started back on meds. You might surprise yourself with what you are capable of. Then again I am not a doctor and if you have a serious case of ADHD then consult your doctor about the impact adderall will have on your stomach and CNS while on a liquid diet.You should really consult your doctor no matter what if you intend to go on a liquid diet for any length of time.

i have one serious question because i have been debating doing this for quite some time: How does the lemonade taste? Is it God awful?

I know a guy who does it for 3 weeks at a time twice a year and he has no problems.

He said when you wanna start back eating again you have to ease your body into it though, or else you'll get really sick

i have one serious question because i have been debating doing this for quite some time: How does the lemonade taste? Is it God awful?I know a guy who does it for 3 weeks at a time twice a year and he has no problems.He said when you wanna start back eating again you have to ease your body into it though, or else you'll get really sick

Whip up a batch of it and try it.

Sorry to hear you need that, it also kind of defeats the purpose of doing a body detox. It may be more beneficial if you tried it for a week before you started back on meds. You might surprise yourself with what you are capable of. Then again I am not a doctor and if you have a serious case of ADHD then consult your doctor about the impact adderall will have on your stomach and CNS while on a liquid diet.You should really consult your doctor no matter what if you intend to go on a liquid diet for any length of time.
Well, according to my doctor, I need it. Having the benefit of being an appetite supressant is a plus.

That would make want to binge for sure. Stay home in bed, pop a few beers, open a bag of chips...smoke a bowl or two, at this point the pizzeria down the street is sounding tempting...we have a full 3 alarm buffett pending at this point.Get out of bed and start exercising.
Really?Exercise always made me extremely hungry. But I never ate when sleeping. I can't say I ever got out of bed hungry either, its like that drowsy feeling knocks out your hunger. Slap down some caffiene or exercise and suddenly I'd wanna eat, yeah.When I lost weight I usually exercised just before bed so that the hunger didn't show up.

i have one serious question because i have been debating doing this for quite some time: How does the lemonade taste? Is it God awful?I know a guy who does it for 3 weeks at a time twice a year and he has no problems.He said when you wanna start back eating again you have to ease your body into it though, or else you'll get really sick

Whip up a batch of it and try it.
Some people really like the flavor and they can sip on it all day. Others, like me, hate it and I have to slam the drink whenever I get feeling a little hungry. I think most people can't handle the cayenne pepper...i've heard that some will put it on the back of the tongue then quickly wash it down with the drink, I've heard others who have bought empty capsules then filled 'em with pepper.

I actually enjoyed the taste. It is rather bland until you add the cayenne pepper which gives it a nice kick.Taste, however, is truly a personal matter, just check the foods you have never tried thread.

Would a detox like this help with quitting cigarettes (getting the nicotine out of the system)?

Nothing will help you quit smoking except your desire to do so. You wont quit until you truly desire to do so with all your energy, no outside source will help you more than your own will.Doing this as long as I did helped refocus my discipline in general so from that perspective I would say "yes" it could help you, indirectly, quit smoking.

Well, according to my doctor, I need it. Having the benefit of being an appetite supressant is a plus.
I was suggesting you consult your doctor about the effect meds will have on your stomach if you are on a liquid only eating plan. You may need solid food in your stomach to prevent the meds from giving you an ulcer.I was not questioning your need for them, that's between you and your doctor.

I did this thing for 5 or 6 days. It wasn't so bad. I think day 3 is the worst.I sort of felt guilty when I started eating again (dinner invite).

Sounds like my experience too. Going out with friends is the toughest part because it can be tough to explain repeatedly why you are drinking lemonade. Just because you have one meal doesn't mean you have to stop the program though.still I think a week to 10 days is plenty on The Cleanse.

Really?Exercise always made me extremely hungry. But I never ate when sleeping. I can't say I ever got out of bed hungry either, its like that drowsy feeling knocks out your hunger. Slap down some caffiene or exercise and suddenly I'd wanna eat, yeah.When I lost weight I usually exercised just before bed so that the hunger didn't show up.
I definitely had to ratchet down my workouts when I started the program, to much of a calorie deficit, but the last three weeks I was back in the gym going at a good clip and didn't suffer from fatigue, hunger or delayed recovery.

This thread makes me hungry. I'd love to do this, but it sounds like too much work.

It isn't for everyone boy-howdy. I just wanted to relay my experiences which were definitely on the extreme end.Still it's far less work than preparing your own meals or going out to eat or going to the fat food drive through.I also saved a ton of money on food over the last two months.

Otis its not worth it, been there done that. I highly recommend to anyone looking to lose weight to not do this. If you want to do it to cleanse toxins go for it, but there are better options for diets.

Did you squeeze your lemons or were you able to find "real" lemon juice thus eliminating buying lemons.

When I tried the MC, I made every glass fresh thus it became a hassle. I thought your idea of making a couple of quarts a time was a good idea.

Hearing day three is the hardest has inspired me to try it again. I quit on day three.

Would a detox like this help with quitting cigarettes (getting the nicotine out of the system)?

Nothing will help you quit smoking except your desire to do so. You wont quit until you truly desire to do so with all your energy, no outside source will help you more than your own will.Doing this as long as I did helped refocus my discipline in general so from that perspective I would say "yes" it could help you, indirectly, quit smoking.
This doesn't answer my question. I don't smoke and was asking for a friend, although she didn't ask me to. She says she wants to quit, but I don't really know how much willpower and desire she has. What I am curious about is if it can be a quit smoking aid. So, my question is does it remove toxins like nicotine from your system?

Archived