What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Vegans.... (1 Viewer)

KarmaPolice

Footballguy
Just had a couple of questions for any vegans that might be out there:

-- did you go cold turkey, or did you slowly ween yourself off the meats/animal products?

-- what kind of supplements (if any) do you take?

-- any decent magazines/books that you use for meals to cook?

thanks in advance for any info...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a vegan or vegetarian but worked in the rest biz for awhile. Learned the most about food, vegans and such working for Whole foods for 3 years. There's a cookbook out there called "Raw" that's supposed to be immensely popular. Also, Whole Foods has a pretty good cookbook too.

As for vitamins and such.... I think D is one vegans may have a problem getting. I was told though that being in the sun actually produces D naturally. So a vegan babe told me that many vegans fulfill their D needs by getting in the sun for 15 minutes each day, something we should all do.

I've hung out w/ vegans before they are a ##### to go out and eat w/. They can't eat almost every produced by the human race. Other then that cold turkey should be easy.

Not a vegan or vegetarian but worked in the rest biz for awhile. Learned the most about food, vegans and such working for Whole foods for 3 years. There's a cookbook out there called "Raw" that's supposed to be immensely popular. Also, Whole Foods has a pretty good cookbook too.As for vitamins and such.... I think D is one vegans may have a problem getting. I was told though that being in the sun actually produces D naturally. So a vegan babe told me that many vegans fulfill their D needs by getting in the sun for 15 minutes each day, something we should all do.
Might be going to Whole Foods today, so I'll see what they have there for books.

Is a vegan diet healthy at all? It doesn't seem natural for humans.
I am sure that it's all relative. Most the people I know eat Brats, Doritos, Oreos, and drink a ####load of soda. I am sure that humans didn't evolve to digest that crap.

I've hung out w/ vegans before they are a ##### to go out and eat w/. They can't eat almost every produced by the human race. Other then that cold turkey should be easy.
Yeah. One of my employees is a vegan. I was eating some candy (maybe Sour Patch Kids) and he said that he couldn't have any b/c they had lactose in them- I think for the gummy part of candy maybe? Thought that was weird.

My kid told me he was going to be a vegetarian after watching some crap at school about slaughterhouses or something.. I told him no problem! I proceeded to cook up a giant batch of BBQ spare ribs. His favorite. I spooned out some corn and threw a potato on his plate and then the rest of us started eating the ribs.

He was a vegetarian for about 15 minutes. He couldn't resist.

Not sure how that story is relevant, just thought I'd share. :o

I have a question for vegans.

Why do you hate plants so much? They are every bit as alive as animals. Maybe you should consider getting your nourishment from rocks.

What is with the hate for vegetarians? Are we all really this insecure about our own food choices?

How is it not natural?I was a vegetarian for about 7 years before I became a vegan. Have been a vegan for 6 years or so.The only supplement I take is B-12. And I actually dont take it as much as I used to.I dont know of a specific book, but it is immensely helpful if you like to cook. It can be quite a pain to find things to eat at certain types of restaurants (although it is much easier now than it was a few years back). I probably cook 90% of my meals. Living in or around a large city is helpful. In Minneapolis there are probably a dozen vegetarian restaurants and countless other ethnic type places which are a thousand times more friendly to vegans than most American type places.Why are you thinking about becoming a vegan? There are numerous reasons. I mainly became one for environmental/health reasons. Not that I enjoy the slaughtering of animals, but that was sort of secondary for me.Good luck my friend.

Yeah. One of my employees is a vegan. I was eating some candy (maybe Sour Patch Kids) and he said that he couldn't have any b/c they had lactose in them- I think for the gummy part of candy maybe? Thought that was weird.
Certain candies have gelatin. Most gelatin is animal based.

Not that I enjoy the slaughtering of animals, but that was sort of secondary for me.
Gawd, I enjoy the slaughtering of animals. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. How can you not look at a hog and think about all the delightful things it can be cut up and made into?

Just had a couple of questions for any vegans that might be out there:

-- did you go cold turkey, or did you slowly ween yourself off the meats/animal products?

-- what kind of supplements (if any) do you take?

-- any decent magazines/books that you use for meals to cook?

thanks in advance for any info...
As is readily apparent by reading this thread, there is a lot of hate for vegans out there. Everyone you know will start being an expert in nutrition and evolution. It's pretty fascinating that people can get so worked up over what you eat, but it's something you'll have to deal with.I was a vegan for awhile, and I enjoyed it. I got into the best aerobic shape of my life and certainly shed some fat. For me the transfer wasn't harder than becoming a vegetarian because at the time I hated milk and eggs anyway.

I went cold turkey, and that worked for me. I took an iron supplement and a B-12 supplement. Pasta primavera is a great, nutritious meal that is pretty easy to make. I didn't eat much candy, but you can certainly have certain candies and "be fine". Like I said there will be some haters around you that will try and "catch you" eating something you shouldn't, but if you want to become a vegan I say give it a shot. I know some vegans give up honey, but I didn't do that.

I wasn't in to lifting back then so I wasn't focused on my protein intake, but there are several protein powders and bars that would be a great way for you to keep as much lean muscle as you have. Jay Robb makes a protein powder that I have not tried, although that company makes solid products.

There's one book I read that I really enjoyed, although the name escapes me. In general, I don't think the vegan philosophy is wrong, and I am persuaded by vegan arguments that the human body was not designed for meat or dairy products. But that's largely irrelevant anyway, and will only foster more "hate" from your friends. Try it out because you want to. :goodposting:

Not that I enjoy the slaughtering of animals, but that was sort of secondary for me.
I'm not an animal lover and I eat lots of chicken and beef every day, but I did see a video on how they slaughter animals and it was pretty f'n disgusting. I certainly wouldn't fault anyone for using that as a reason to become a vegan.

Gawd, I enjoy the slaughtering of animals. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. How can you not look at a hog and think about all the delightful things it can be cut up and made into?
People rarely associate their meat with the slaughtering of animals. That disconnect astounds me.

People rarely associate their meat with the slaughtering of animals. That disconnect astounds me.
People are stupid. And, most don't want to know.

Used to kill our own on my grandfathers farm when I stayed summers. Nothing like fresh chicken right out of the coop. We also would do in our own pigs and goats, my uncle would do the butchering.

Used to kill our own on my grandfathers farm when I stayed summers. Nothing like fresh chicken right out of the coop. We also would do in our own pigs and goats, my uncle would do the butchering.
And that puts you in a very small minority.If I was ever to eat meat again, I would want to hunt it and/or kill it myself.

And that puts you in a very small minority.If I was ever to eat meat again, I would want to hunt it and/or kill it myself.
Field dressing a deer is way messy and a bit of work. Got to the point where I hated bothering with it. Part of the reason I stopped hunting.

Have a couple of ducks thawing right now. Will slice and marinate the breasts, insert a jalopano for my vegan needs, and then wrap in bacon. Charcoal grill, 10 minutes a side, and heaven will be served.

Have a couple of ducks thawing right now. Will slice and marinate the breasts, insert a jalopano for my vegan needs, and then wrap in bacon. Charcoal grill, 10 minutes a side, and heaven will be served.
When should I show up?

When should I show up?
If you're serious...I'll extend an invite next go around. Dinner won't be served until around 10 tonite. Right now the birds would be better served for chillin' beer than dining on.

If you're serious...I'll extend an invite next go around. Dinner won't be served until around 10 tonite. Right now the birds would be better served for chillin' beer than dining on.
Would love to, sounds very tasty. Hard to get good duck. Let me know when and what to bring.

Hi, first and foremost don't let people like some of the above discourage you at all. You get used to it. I'm not sure what the problem is with some people they think that the choices you make in your life is somehow an attack on their "manliness".

I for one have been for 10 years and do not take any supplements whatsoever. I really like the magazine VegNews for great and simple recipes and they have lots of helpful tips. Just remember lots of variety. Plus there are so many vegan substitutes available for what you are used to, you should have no problem.

Cheers and good luck.

Hi, first and foremost don't let people like some of the above discourage you at all. You get used to it. I'm not sure what the problem is with some people they think that the choices you make in your life is somehow an attack on their "manliness".I for one have been for 10 years and do not take any supplements whatsoever. I really like the magazine VegNews for great and simple recipes and they have lots of helpful tips. Just remember lots of variety. Plus there are so many vegan substitutes available for what you are used to, you should have no problem.Cheers and good luck.
Would you also share your expertise with foral arrangements and needlepoint???

I decided to do the vegan thing and went cold turkey (pun intended). I took a multi vitamin while I did it. The important thing to remember is that you still need protein that means lot’s of beans. They have vegan cookbooks at Border’s and there is tons of information on the web.

The hardest part is coming off a vegan lifestyle. The first few times you eat meat again you want to throw up. Why do you want to go vegan vs. vegetarian? Vegetarian will allow you more food and drink options. I found a vegan lifestyle to be to restrictive as I love beer, and most beers have animal products.

God and the sweet Baby Jesus made me a meat eater. If I was supposed to eat plants, God would have given me a couple more stomachs to digest that stuff better. As it is now, I indirectly eat plants when I eat cow. God and the sweet baby Jesus created a food chain that goes:

vegetable------cow-------Thunderlips. That's how it is and will always be.

God made the food chain as such...... http://blog.chrisworfolk.com/wp-content/up...0/foodchain.gif ..... and as such it should be.

I ain't going to say that there is something wrong with male human plant eaters....because that's not my nature. Let's just say though that I bet they don't have staircases in their houses....

God and the sweet Baby Jesus made me a meat eater. If I was supposed to eat plants, God would have given me a couple more stomachs to digest that stuff better. As it is now, I indirectly eat plants when I eat cow. God and the sweet baby Jesus created a food chain that goes:

God made the food chain as such...... http://blog.chrisworfolk.com/wp-content/up...0/foodchain.gif ..... and as such it should be.

I ain't going to say that there is something wrong with male human plant eaters....because that's not my nature. Let's just say though that I bet they don't have staircases in their houses....
Please tell me this is shtick.

The important thing to remember is that you still need protein that means lot’s of beans. .
Damn, you must have been a hit with the ladies...
Keep trying. One of your lines is bound to be funny.Protein is not a difficult thing to get in one's diet. In fact, most people eat way too much protein. Too much protein hinders the absorption of certain vitamins. Substituting meat with tofu/seitan/tempeh/beans/etc is all you really need to do.

This site is great for recipes

Well, no Vegan, or vegetarian has answered my question, why do you hate plants.

If you chose your life style because you feel it's healthier, fine.

If you have chose your life style because you feel the slaughter of animals is somehow immoral, I ask you how the slaughter of vegetabales is any less immoral? It's life. It's chemistry. It's bio-chemisty. It breaks down to basic physics. Atoms and molecules. That is what we are made of. You won't eat unfertilized eggs? Well golly gee, those grains you eat are the fertilized eggs of plants. Won't drink milk? Guess what, the maple syrup you slather on your granoula is the milk of maple trees.

Go Eat Rocks.

Well, no Vegan, or vegetarian has answered my question, why do you hate plants.If you chose your life style because you feel it's healthier, fine.If you have chose your life style because you feel the slaughter of animals is somehow immoral, I ask you how the slaughter of vegetabales is any less immoral? It's life. It's chemistry. It's bio-chemisty. It breaks down to basic physics. Atoms and molecules. That is what we are made of. You won't eat unfertilized eggs? Well golly gee, those grains you eat are the fertilized eggs of plants. Won't drink milk? Guess what, the maple syrup you slather on your granoula is the milk of maple trees. Go Eat Rocks.
Consciousness down?I didn't respond because I assumed you were being facetious. Seriously man, this is dumber than your anti-Beatles arguments.

Well, no Vegan, or vegetarian has answered my question, why do you hate plants.If you chose your life style because you feel it's healthier, fine.If you have chose your life style because you feel the slaughter of animals is somehow immoral, I ask you how the slaughter of vegetabales is any less immoral? It's life. It's chemistry. It's bio-chemisty. It breaks down to basic physics. Atoms and molecules. That is what we are made of. You won't eat unfertilized eggs? Well golly gee, those grains you eat are the fertilized eggs of plants. Won't drink milk? Guess what, the maple syrup you slather on your granoula is the milk of maple trees. Go Eat Rocks.
I'll try and answer this although it's a pointless question. In my books its about doing the least harm. It's proven in most animals that they feel pain and have extremely similar phisiologies to humans, therefore it seems natural that if you are going to be sensitive to the pain of others, you should cut out animals. At the same time, we, as with other animals, have a right to live and to eat, which leaves us with vegetables and fruit. Also, unlike other animals we have the ability and access to pretty much eat whatever we want when we want. Plus most fruits and vegetables you don't actually eat the living part of the plant aka an apple is just a carrier of seeds for the tree.Go ahead and tear it apart because you can't convince people with closed minds. It's the same thing with anything, people look for one flaw in any arguement and by virtue of that the entire arguement is pointless and stupid and not worth the time. One republican makes a mistake or is a boob, and by virtue of that the whole party is...I personally disagree, I try to live lightly and do the best I can in making my life decisions, I just wish others would do the same.

Hell no Boy!!!! God and the beautiful, sweet, Baby-backed Jesus gave us humans what is called an intellect. This is used to determine what things in the Natural World will taste good and what won't. It also enables us to determine how to cook said things and what to put on them. It boils down to this..... meat = good.....vegetables = BLEECH!!! You ever put Stubb's BAR-B-QUE sauce on a green pepper, potato, or dandelion? God created that sauce with one thing in mind. To put it on beef...( or pork or poultry..but that's another time and place)..not to put on something that was growing in DIRT!!! Let me ask you another thing? You think if a cow had a chance to eat you...it would get all high and mighty and respect your life and let you go walking through its field without retribution? HELL NO!!!!! It would go down on you faster than a French whore on payday. Cows, sheeps, ducks,..penguins, llamas..... we need to get them all before they get us. I say eat em all and let God and that wonderous, loving, beautiful, baby Jesus, with his gossamer diaper and golden slippers sort em out.

Just had a couple of questions for any vegans that might be out there: -- did you go cold turkey, or did you slowly ween yourself off the meats/animal products? -- what kind of supplements (if any) do you take? -- any decent magazines/books that you use for meals to cook?thanks in advance for any info...
This explains alot about you. A vegan, I should've guessed :thumbup:

Hell no Boy!!!! God and the beautiful, sweet, Baby-backed Jesus gave us humans what is called an intellect. This is used to determine what things in the Natural World will taste good and what won't. It also enables us to determine how to cook said things and what to put on them. It boils down to this..... meat = good.....vegetables = BLEECH!!! You ever put Stubb's BAR-B-QUE sauce on a green pepper, potato, or dandelion? God created that sauce with one thing in mind. To put it on beef...( or pork or poultry..but that's another time and place)..not to put on something that was growing in DIRT!!! Let me ask you another thing? You think if a cow had a chance to eat you...it would get all high and mighty and respect your life and let you go walking through its field without retribution? HELL NO!!!!! It would go down on you faster than a French whore on payday. Cows, sheeps, ducks,..penguins, llamas..... we need to get them all before they get us. I say eat em all and let God and that wonderous, loving, beautiful, baby Jesus, with his gossamer diaper and golden slippers sort em out.
:thumbup:

The important thing to remember is that you still need protein that means lot’s of beans. .
Keep trying. One of your lines is bound to be funny.Protein is not a difficult thing to get in one's diet. In fact, most people eat way too much protein. Too much protein hinders the absorption of certain vitamins. Substituting meat with tofu/seitan/tempeh/beans/etc is all you really need to do.

Code:
The results of nitrogen balance studies on endurance athletes indicates that these athletes have protein requirements that exceed the USRDA of 0.8 g/kg/day. A study found that endurance athletes (defined as training for at least 12 hours per week for at least 5 years) require 1.37 g/kg/day of protein to maintain nitrogen balance compared to 0.73 g/kg/day for sedentary individuals.It appears that weight training can also lead to a daily protein requirement that exceeds the current USRDA. It has been found that 2.0 to 2.2 g/kg/day of protein was barely sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance during moderate intensity weight training. Furthermore, weightlifter's protein requirements increased proportionally to training intensity. Research has shown that 2.0 to 2.6 g/kg/day of protein are required for periods of very intense weight training, whereas protein intakes of 2.0 g/kg/day maintained a positive nitrogen balance during periods of less intense weight training.It is clear that athletes need to consume more protein than the current USRDA for 0.8 g/kg/day in order to maintain nitrogen balance. Conversely, since the requirements of carbohydrates, and overall calories also increase with physical activity, the recommended proportion of calories from protein does not change significantly. With a calorie sufficient diet, protein requirement values needed to maintain positive nitrogen balance of both weight trained and endurance trained athletes constitutes intakes of 12% to 20% of total daily calories.

How is it not natural?I was a vegetarian for about 7 years before I became a vegan. Have been a vegan for 6 years or so.

The only supplement I take is B-12. And I actually dont take it as much as I used to.

I dont know of a specific book, but it is immensely helpful if you like to cook. It can be quite a pain to find things to eat at certain types of restaurants (although it is much easier now than it was a few years back). I probably cook 90% of my meals. Living in or around a large city is helpful. In Minneapolis there are probably a dozen vegetarian restaurants and countless other ethnic type places which are a thousand times more friendly to vegans than most American type places.

Why are you thinking about becoming a vegan? There are numerous reasons. I mainly became one for environmental/health reasons. Not that I enjoy the slaughtering of animals, but that was sort of secondary for me.

Good luck my friend.
My reasons are three-fold: IMO it's healthier, for environmental reasons, and slaughtering of animals. I am trying my hand at the vegetarian thing now, and was just looking into the vegan lifestyle. Appreciate the info. I know there are a lot of resources and a few restaurants in Madison when I have time to get there which isn't too often. What kind of foods were you surprised that had animal products in them? As I said in another post, I was surprised at the candy thing and I noticed another post mentioned some beer did as well. These types of things and getting together some ideas of things that I could cook on a regular basis would be the info that I would like before making the transition.

Just had a couple of questions for any vegans that might be out there: -- did you go cold turkey, or did you slowly ween yourself off the meats/animal products? -- what kind of supplements (if any) do you take? -- any decent magazines/books that you use for meals to cook?thanks in advance for any info...
This explains alot about you. A vegan, I should've guessed :yes:
What exactly does this "explain" about me? It's funny to presume that you know anything about me based on what I choose to eat. GB you closed minded, judgemental Christians. :D

How is it not natural?I was a vegetarian for about 7 years before I became a vegan. Have been a vegan for 6 years or so.The only supplement I take is B-12. And I actually dont take it as much as I used to.I dont know of a specific book, but it is immensely helpful if you like to cook. It can be quite a pain to find things to eat at certain types of restaurants (although it is much easier now than it was a few years back). I probably cook 90% of my meals. Living in or around a large city is helpful. In Minneapolis there are probably a dozen vegetarian restaurants and countless other ethnic type places which are a thousand times more friendly to vegans than most American type places.Why are you thinking about becoming a vegan? There are numerous reasons. I mainly became one for environmental/health reasons. Not that I enjoy the slaughtering of animals, but that was sort of secondary for me.Good luck my friend.
:yes: I have dabbled in it for about 3 years, but have not made the full time switch. It is hard.I'm doing purely for health reasons and nothing else.If you eat things that are alive, you feel alive.If you eat things that are dead, you feel dead.

Code:
The results of nitrogen balance studies on endurance athletes indicates that these athletes have protein requirements that exceed the USRDA of 0.8 g/kg/day. A study found that endurance athletes (defined as training for at least 12 hours per week for at least 5 years) require 1.37 g/kg/day of protein to maintain nitrogen balance compared to 0.73 g/kg/day for sedentary individuals.It appears that weight training can also lead to a daily protein requirement that exceeds the current USRDA. It has been found that 2.0 to 2.2 g/kg/day of protein was barely sufficient to maintain nitrogen balance during moderate intensity weight training. Furthermore, weightlifter's protein requirements increased proportionally to training intensity. Research has shown that 2.0 to 2.6 g/kg/day of protein are required for periods of very intense weight training, whereas protein intakes of 2.0 g/kg/day maintained a positive nitrogen balance during periods of less intense weight training.It is clear that athletes need to consume more protein than the current USRDA for 0.8 g/kg/day in order to maintain nitrogen balance. Conversely, since the requirements of carbohydrates, and overall calories also increase with physical activity, the recommended proportion of calories from protein does not change significantly. With a calorie sufficient diet, protein requirement values needed to maintain positive nitrogen balance of both weight trained and endurance trained athletes constitutes intakes of 12% to 20% of total daily calories.
Yes, weight lifters need at least 1 g/lb/day of protein (which falls within the 2.0-2.6 range), and probably should get a little more. I'd aim for 1.5 g/lb/day if you're focused on adding serious muscle mass.

I am sure b/c of the site referenced at the end of the clip people will chalk this up to vegetarian propaganda, but I am not sure how people can eat a burger after watching something like this:

Users who are viewing this thread