Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Jawbone - Bluetooth head set

Chaka

Just an FYI for you techie early adopter types. The

bluetooth headset is really impressive.

Watch the demo, the noise cancelling technology is tremendous.

Apologies if this is a Honda "Jawbone" & "Bluetooth" searches returned no previous thread.

NiceI'm about to get a new phone and Bluetooth. Any idea on price for this?

About $120. But I would check eBay and Cingular stores before going to Jawbone's website, I had some problems with their customer service.

Gotta admit, that's pretty cool. Motorola had an in-ear headset that I thought would be to market by now. It worked in a similar way, actually getting the sound from the ear canal rather than outside from your mouth. It was supposed to offer similar noise-reducing abilities. I'm not sure what the deal is with it anymore. I know the battery life was pretty sub-par, but the thing was tiny.

i want to try one out before i purchase. some people have said the buttons are too small.

I have no problem with the buttons. There are two of them and they are hidden under the chasis, a friend of mine says he sometimes accidentally presses the wrong one but that is not my experience.

Apologies if this is a Honda "Jawbone" & "Bluetooth" searches returned no previous thread.

Thanks chaka,

That looks cool. I seem like I always have more noise in my truck than I like and that might do the trick. My trouble with blue tooth ear sets in the past has been getting the volume up high enough so I can hear well. (I guess I hear less well than the average guy as a couple of the units I tried just weren't loud enough. How does the Jawbone do there?

Thanks.

J

Thanks chaka,

That looks cool. I seem like I always have more noise in my truck than I like and that might do the trick. My trouble with blue tooth ear sets in the past has been getting the volume up high enough so I can hear well. (I guess I hear less well than the average guy as a couple of the units I tried just weren't loud enough. How does the Jawbone do there?

Thanks.

J

I have had similar problems with my previous two bluetooth headsets. I haven't had to deal with extremely adverse noise conditions with the Jawbone yet but I have not had a single problem hearing the other end either, including in the car and I have a relatively noisy car.

I will also say it is definitely the most comfortable headset I have used, unlike my previous headsets, I often forget I am wearing it.

Thanks chaka,

Thanks.

J

I have had similar problems with my previous two bluetooth headsets. I haven't had to deal with extremely adverse noise conditions with the Jawbone yet but I have not had a single problem hearing the other end either, including in the car and I have a relatively noisy car.

I will also say it is definitely the most comfortable headset I have used, unlike my previous headsets, I often forget I am wearing it.

is it sturdy in your ear? i mean, if im moving around, turning my head and such, will at fall out of place? Another question, im looking at the picture on the site, and it says the talk button is on the front, but i dont see the button in the picture. is that button easily accessible? I think i will have to go to visit the cingular store tomorrow and check it out.

Thanks chaka,

Thanks.

J

is it sturdy in your ear? i mean, if im moving around, turning my head and such, will at fall out of place? Another question, im looking at the picture on the site, and it says the talk button is on the front, but i dont see the button in the picture. is that button easily accessible? I think i will have to go to visit the cingular store tomorrow and check it out.
Like I said, I forget that I am wearing it and I am usually very conscious about those things. The ear hook holds the unit very stable on your ear.

This is my third bluetooth (Motorola H300, Plantronics Discovery 665) and it is by far the best one.

I am willing to shell out some extra cash for a truly superior product and, for me, the Jawbone falls into that category.

Just ordered one. I'll let you guys know how it goes.I'm one of those people adamantly opposed to wearing the blue tooth around all the time but I'll use this a fair bit. We'll see.J

I also abhor wearing a headset as a matter of course, but this one I don't mind at all.How do you enjoy your Saddleback bag? The Jawbone, for now, is the Saddleback bag of bluetooth headsets. The difference is the Jawbone will eventually become obsolete, apparently your children will fight over your bag when the time comes.I hope you like the Jawbone as much as I do, I would hate for you to hate it and ban me, or something like that, for the recommendation.Enjoy.

Just ordered one. I'll let you guys know how it goes.I'm one of those people adamantly opposed to wearing the blue tooth around all the time but I'll use this a fair bit. We'll see.J

I also abhor wearing a headset as a matter of course, but this one I don't mind at all.How do you enjoy your Saddleback bag? The Jawbone, for now, is the Saddleback bag of bluetooth headsets. The difference is the Jawbone will eventually become obsolete, apparently your children will fight over your bag when the time comes.I hope you like the Jawbone as much as I do, I would hate for you to hate it and ban me, or something like that, for the recommendation.Enjoy.
Oh yeah, you're outta here if this headset sucks... :goodposting:Interesting comparison on the two items though. And you're right. The jawbone will be virtually worthless in 5 years. Where the Saddleback should be better. That's kind of cool I guess. BTW, I'm liking the bag more every day. J

Update - My Jawbone headset came in last week and this thing ROCKS.

Outstanding product.

Ok, it's not as good as the demos show. You can't really roll the window down on the highway without the other person knowing.

But it's a DRAMATIC improvement over other headsets. I normally have a good bit of background noise when I use my phone. I've had people tell me it was instantly obvious that I wasn't on a good connection or that there was plenty of background noise making the call difficult.

With the noise canceling button on now, people say it sounds like I'm on a normal landline. It's that good.

I don't know how they do it, but this thing is magic. Yes, it costs more than a regular headset at $120. But if it's worth that to have a normal sounding line under tough conditions, this thing works. Great.

Thanks for the headsup chaka.

And yes, you will STILL look like an uber dork if you walk around wearing this thing in your ear when you're not talking.

J

Update - My Jawbone headset came in last week and this thing ROCKS.

Outstanding product.

Ok, it's not as good as the demos show. You can't really roll the window down on the highway without the other person knowing.

But it's a DRAMATIC improvement over other headsets. I normally have a good bit of background noise when I use my phone. I've had people tell me it was instantly obvious that I wasn't on a good connection or that there was plenty of background noise making the call difficult.

With the noise canceling button on now, people say it sounds like I'm on a normal landline. It's that good.

I don't know how they do it, but this thing is magic. Yes, it costs more than a regular headset at $120. But if it's worth that to have a normal sounding line under tough conditions, this thing works. Great.

Thanks for the headsup chaka.

And yes, you will STILL look like an uber dork if you walk around wearing this thing in your ear when you're not talking.

J

:thumbup:

What phone are you guys using? I was told by a Verizon rep that this headset would not work with my Razr.

Hi wooderson,I'm using a Palm Treo 650 through Verizon. I thought it was pretty much a go with any blue tooth phone.J

What phone are you guys using? I was told by a Verizon rep that this headset would not work with my Razr.

Hi wooderson,I'm using a Palm Treo 650 through Verizon. I thought it was pretty much a go with any blue tooth phone.J
That is what I thought.Damn rep was lying to me cause they don't carry the Jawbone.thanks

I may be all over this.

Joe, I think you recently mentioned you use a Treo (or am I imagining that)? Is that true? I'd be doing the same, and if your results were this good, sounds well worth the money.

That's a load of rich creamery butter. I am using a Samsung i830w and have no problem and my business partner has some kind of motorola that it works with (we're both on Verizon). I am pretty sure the whole idea of Bluetooth is creating a communication protocol that is compatible with any signal.If for some crazy reason it doesn't work, get a new phone and keep the Jawbone.

That's good to know. I originally bought a Motorola H700 to use with my Treo 650, but it didn't work out so well. It worked well if I was in a quiet place, but was horrible in noisy places...like my car, which was where I wanted to use it most. I replaced it with a Plantronics Voyager 510. It works really well, but I'm still tempted to get this one.

Just to add a bit on Bluetooth and compatability... Bluetooth isn't universally compatable just because it's Bluetooth, and Verizon makes it worse and less user friendly than any other carrier IMO. From past experience, many (most all, except early RAZRs, one Nokia flip, and hacked phones) Verizon phones have limited Bluetooth profiles. Mostly, they only have the profiles for hands-free headsets. That said, for some reason, Palm Treos don't work well with the Motorola Bluetooth headsets because the Moto headsets did not only hands- free voice and such, but voice dialing and stuff also. Since the headset had this profile, but the phone didn't, it didn't always pair right.But, I'd say if the Jawbone works with the Treo, it'll work with the RAZR. The RAZR is actually one of the more "free" bluetooth phones VZW offers. Mine came with the ability to transfer pictures and ringtones via bluetooth out of the box. I know some did, some didn't. Also, good luck connecting ANY OEM car kit to a VZW bluetooth enabled phone. It might work for basic dialing, but very few of them will let you use all of the manufacturer's features (phone book transfer, etc).

Appears to be in stock here for $165. Is that too much?

Edited to add:

Maybe not:

This product will be in stock on Thursday 15 March, 2007.

That seems high, Otis. I got mine from the www.jawbone.com site for regular price (119 I think) last week.

J

I may be all over this.Joe, I think you recently mentioned you use a Treo (or am I imagining that)? Is that true? I'd be doing the same, and if your results were this good, sounds well worth the money.

Hi Otis,Yes, I use mine with a Treo 650 from Verizon. Setup was really easy and painless.And I like the jawbone a LOT. It's one of those products that really works well. I (and anyone that I talk to when I'm in my car) like it a lot.J

Update: Wearing a bluetooth ever is :nerd:

Maybe in your car or something, but I cringe when I see people wearing these things into a bar, or restaurant. It's just not a good look.
Yes. It's car only for me. If you wear one in public, you'd better be talking on it. Or else :geek: :shrug:J

I may be all over this.Joe, I think you recently mentioned you use a Treo (or am I imagining that)? Is that true? I'd be doing the same, and if your results were this good, sounds well worth the money.

Hi Otis,Yes, I use mine with a Treo 650 from Verizon. Setup was really easy and painless.And I like the jawbone a LOT. It's one of those products that really works well. I (and anyone that I talk to when I'm in my car) like it a lot.J
JB:Thanks, good info here. I'm pretty much all over this thing as soon as I can get one.The jawbone site says they're sold out for now though.

Update: Wearing a bluetooth ever is :lmao:

Maybe in your car or something, but I cringe when I see people wearing these things into a bar, or restaurant. It's just not a good look.
Yes. It's car only for me. If you wear one in public, you'd better be talking on it. Or else :geek: ;)J
I wear mine in the car and in the when I'm inside the datacenter I work at. It's too noisy in there to hear the phone ring when it's in my pocket and I never feel it vibrate in vibrate mode. So it's either look like a :lmao: by wearing it on my belt or like like a :lmao: by wearing the headset while I'm in there. Benefit of wearing the headset is when people come up to ask a question, they always whisper "are you on the phone?" :yes: Then they go away.

Update: Wearing a bluetooth ever is :nerd:

Yes. It's car only for me. If you wear one in public, you'd better be talking on it. Or else :geek: ;)J
When I spend $125 on a product I am not going to risk damaging it accidentally in my pocket (e.g. tweak the ear hook, bang into a table etc.). I guess you could put it on a laynard but that seems worse to me. :confused:

Update: Wearing a bluetooth ever is :thumbup:

It's really not a good look anywhere. Kind of like a forehead tattoo that says, "Hi, I like bananas!"

bumpStill can't find it anywhere for less than $150.

One of the CCIE's (a major tech head) I work with told me the Jawbones are really hard to get right now without over-paying. The fact that he doesn't have one - he just bought the new Blackberry 8800 today to replace his Pearl and to hold him over until the iPhone comes out - speaks volumes.Joe seems to have gotten his no problem, though - maybe you should drop his name?

Will this bluetooth headset work with a Sprint phone?

Bump. Anyone know the answer?
Bluetooth is bluetooth, so I would suspect yes.
:thumbup: I have used mine with two phones and two different computer bluetooth interfaces.

bumpStill can't find it anywhere for less than $150.

One of the CCIE's (a major tech head) I work with told me the Jawbones are really hard to get right now without over-paying. The fact that he doesn't have one - he just bought the new Blackberry 8800 today to replace his Pearl and to hold him over until the iPhone comes out - speaks volumes.Joe seems to have gotten his no problem, though - maybe you should drop his name?
Hi Wraith,Yes, I'm sure he'll go straight to the front of the line once they know he's a FBG... :yes:Again, I LOVE this thing. J
  • 3 weeks later...

ok. so you all have had your jawbones for a good while. still love them? they are back in stock now and im thinking about getting one tomorrow.

Had mine for a couple months now and my opinion has not changed in the least.Best headset I have owned.

ok. so you all have had your jawbones for a good while. still love them? they are back in stock now and im thinking about getting one tomorrow.

Hi njx,Still LOVE mine. I forgot it at the office driving home today and was :confused: Love this thing.J
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived