What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Am I allowed to talk Premier League on here? If so, a smaller woo hoo today than yesterday's one for United. With Charlton's loss, Fulham (club I worked for whilst living in the UK) stay up for another year.

I guess for MLS purposes (I'm Australian & have very little to do with MLS, sorry) Boca & McBride were there during my time, while Dempsey is there now, scoring against the scouse on the weekend.
Fulham also has one other MLS alum in Simon Elliot I believe.Nice to see Clint score this weekend to keep the team in the EPL for another season.

Here is an article on Clint concerning this weekends game in my local paper

http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articl...trike_on_money/

Clint Dempsey's first goal since joining Fulham FC might have been the most valuable one ever produced by a US player. Dempsey played a give-and-go with Liam Rosenior, sending a shot past goalkeeper Jose "Pepe" Reina in a 1-0 victory over Liverpool Saturday, the result providing the points necessary for Fulham to remain in the Premiership.

If Fulham, 15th in the standings, remains in the Premiership, it will be a part of a $3 billion-plus television package, meaning the club will receive $60 million, plus an estimated $40 million in ancillary benefits. This more than protects the investment of Harrods owner Mohamed El Fayed, who bought into Fulham 10 years ago.

Many things contributed to the outcome, including a Liverpool lineup minus several regulars five days after a Champions League semifinal win. But Dempsey has a way of being in the right place at the right time, and the killer instinct to make a difference, as he showed in three seasons with the Revolution. Athletes' careers are defined by moments such as this, as are clubs' destinies.

What makes Dempsey's feat even more remarkable is that he developed his talent in East Texas, which has produced many professional athletes but few soccer players who progressed to the global stage. Dempsey did receive some professional fine-tuning with the Revolution, but his style of play was formed in the backyards and parks of Nacogdoches.

The Guardian's David Lacey noted that Dempsey's goal was "created and executed with a Texan's aplomb" and it was "the most important in Craven Cottage history," a reference to Fulham's stadium.

Dempsey compared the score to his finish in the United States's 2-1 loss to Ghana in the 2006 World Cup, when he was the only US player to convert a goal in the tournament.

"I haven't really felt I have been able to contribute too much, so Saturday was payback time," Dempsey told The Independent. "Next season I want to be a regular starter. I think I can be a success in English football -- if I didn't, then I wouldn't be here."

Fulham paid a $4 million transfer fee for Dempsey, a Major League Soccer record. Former manager Chris Coleman, who also brought in Carlos Bocanegra, Simon Elliot, and Brian McBride from MLS, made the move for Dempsey but was fired as Fulham slumped. This was the Cottagers' first victory under Lawrie Sanchez, and after the match, the players took a victory lap and saluted the crowd as if they had won a championship. Indeed, avoiding relegation in the Premiership is worth more than capturing titles in other lands.

Of the teams facing relegation, only Charlton Athletic had a chance of catching Fulham, but it had to beat Tottenham Hotspur yesterday to stay alive. The Spurs won, 2-0. Charlton was also interested in Dempsey but pulled out of the bidding at about $1.5 million.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spurs won, 2-0.
It's not "The Spurs", it's Spurs. No "the". :stirspot:"Convert" a goal? Jesus Christ.
This was a similar type of post to what I saying about Milan in the CL thread. It's "Mee-lahn", not "AC Milan" or any other shortening thereof. thank you.And I finally caught that Dempsey goal- not a bad worked goal at all. I wouldn't really call it a give and go or wall pass like that article did as Dempsey played the ball nicely into space for his teammate after drawing defenders to him. I'm obviously in a sematics pissy mood today.. :no:

And I can't mention the 'S' word. But football in Australia has been reborn over the past couple of years with the A-League's invention. Melbourne Victory already pulled regular crowds of 40,000 - 50,000+ at the Telstra Dome, and that shows no sign of fading.
Ah. I wasn't sure if you guys called it football or soccer. I thought the Australian Rules Football was what you called "Football".
The problem for us was that the domestic game was founded by the different ethnic groups spread around the country. South Melbourne Hellas, Sydney Olympic, Melbourne Croatia, Adelaide Juventus, etc.
This is EXACTLY the same situation here in the States.Every major metropolitan area had a league made up of those damn fuzzy ferrners. Doesn't sound like it was quite as extreme as what you're describing in terms of mob fights and such, but plenty of individual hostilities.Inbetween the NASL and MLS there was bupkis in terms of pro soccer here (we had the MISL during that span- indoor soccer, which I refuse to acknowledge, as it's a totally different sport). College soccer became the apex of the sport at a domestic level- which is really pathetic. Part of what made the 1990 USMNT that went to Italy so special... a bunch of college kids running around against Italy, Yugoslavia and the like.This was unfortunately the time I graduated from college- so I went and played in those metro leagues (in San Francisco and NYC) for teams like Italian Athletic Club, Concordia (German), and a couple of more domestically infused teams. We'd get payed anywhere from $30/game and up with bonus incentives. I remember a Honduran team in our league actually bought the rights to a guy playing in Honduras and supposedly payed him around a grand a game while setting him up in an apartment and job. It was strictly minor-league, but there was always lots of betting and drinking going on in the stands. But never more than a few hundred spectators.
As for an MLS comparison? No idea. There's minimal coverage over here on ESPN sometimes, but I've only ever seen tiny pieces of it.
FSN plays A-League games once a week, I think. From what I've seen, the quality of play is similar, with a nod given to A-League in terms of flair. There seems to be a lot more guys trying to take players on down there than we have here in the States where McBride's style is typical- two touches and done, play what you see.Thought you guys got jobbed against the Italians- after playing such a great game and Cup. We debated that PK endlessly in here... for my money, regardless of whether there was contact or not, the frigging Italian went down as if shot by a 44. That's what made me want to punch the screen and firebomb the local Trattoria's going ape-####. The diving seems to be something both of our countries refuse to stoop to... dunno, something in our collective national identities I think. Winning by faking weakness? BLeh.

El Floppo said:
Ah. I wasn't sure if you guys called it football or soccer. I thought the Australian Rules Football was what you called "Football".
Since '74 World Cup captain Johnny Warren died (just before the A-League started & we qualified for Germany), the media have made as much of an effort as possible to call Aussie Rules 'AFL' or 'Australian Football'. Like on Foxsports.com.au for example. Many still call it the abbreviated slang for association football, I can't bring myself to do it.
The diving seems to be something both of our countries refuse to stoop to... dunno, something in our collective national identities I think. Winning by faking weakness? BLeh.
Spot on. Having Aussie Rules & two rugby codes as major sports in this country for so long makes most look down on anything remotely weak.Cheating to win has been such a faux pas in our culture seemingly forever, higlighted by the 'Bodyline' test cricket series in 1932-33. Have a quick look here if you've got a minute, mainly down at the cultural impact section. We don't like cheats!

Cheating to win has been such a faux pas in our culture seemingly forever, higlighted by the 'Bodyline' test cricket series in 1932-33. Have a quick look here if you've got a minute, mainly down at the cultural impact section. We don't like cheats!
Excuse me? That was perfectly legal within the boundaries of the rules. Jardine was a genius, the only captain to out-think Bradman.

Cheating to win has been such a faux pas in our culture seemingly forever, higlighted by the 'Bodyline' test cricket series in 1932-33. Have a quick look here if you've got a minute, mainly down at the cultural impact section. We don't like cheats!
Excuse me? That was perfectly legal within the boundaries of the rules. Jardine was a genius, the only captain to out-think Bradman.
Don't get me started. I bet you whinge every time Ronaldo gets a free kick.El Floppo - You can add Poms to the list with the Italian diving squad. Actually, that's unfair. Scholesy et al don't cheat. Freddy Flintoff would never cheat.

Just add clowns who think gamesmanship is ok.

Don't get me started. I bet you whinge every time Ronaldo gets a free kick.El Floppo - You can add Poms to the list with the Italian diving squad. Actually, that's unfair. Scholesy et al don't cheat. Freddy Flintoff would never cheat.Just add clowns who think gamesmanship is ok.
:goodposting:

Don't get me started. I bet you whinge every time Ronaldo gets a free kick.El Floppo - You can add Poms to the list with the Italian diving squad. Actually, that's unfair. Scholesy et al don't cheat. Freddy Flintoff would never cheat.Just add clowns who think gamesmanship is ok.
:lmao:
Central and South Americans are horrible, horrible divers. This is a strange thing too, because they're also amongst the worst and dirtiest hacks I've ever seen. Heaven for-#######-bid that anything happens anywhere near their faces- as if they got taken out by a bowling ball hurled from the upper deck. But then they'll turn around and go studs-up with both feet at a guy's chest.I've always liked that in the EPL, divers get stepped to by the opposing teams who won't have it. The influx of foreigners hasn't helped the situation much, but there's definitely less tolerance in the EPL than elswhere.The Italians... #### 'em.I'd still REALLY like to see leagues institute a post game review process specifically for diving. It's sometimes tough to tell on video what's really a dive and what's just an embellishment- but the most obvious and egregious cases should be fined and suspended. Yeah, refs are supposed to card diving on the spot- but that's rare. If players knew they were going to start losing money and playing time, and that it wouldn't matter if they were caught immediately or not, I would bet that the diving and acting would stop PDQ.Oh- and the Italians... most definitely #### 'em.

I'd still REALLY like to see leagues institute a post game review process specifically for diving.
I can't see any reason why they have yet to do this. Imagine the poor sod who has to watch Chelsea games with Arjen Robben playing though!Speaking of scum, the 0-0 in SW6 that just finished, although not a win for United, wasn't too bad a result for me in the end.The draw started a multibet I put on for the weekend, which is:-ManU/Chelsea draw-Yankees beat Rangers today-Utah beat Golden State today-Geelong beat West Coast in the AFL Sunday-Alonso wins the Spanish GP on SundayAt odds of about 65/1 & all above average chances. One down, four to go... :sadbanana: :cry:

-ManU/Chelsea draw

-Yankees beat Rangers today

-Utah beat Golden State today

-Geelong beat West Coast in the AFL Sunday

-Alonso wins the Spanish GP on Sunday

At odds of about 65/1 & all above average chances. Three down, two to go... :banned: :pickle:
Little bit of a hijack but still... :hey: :pickle:

It's "Mee-lahn", not "AC Milan" or any other shortening thereof.
It's actually "Milan". Americans and their crazy accents. :no:
I'm assuming :sarcasm: ...? I lived in Milan for several months. Most definitely "Mee-lahn" as opposed to "Mih-lahn".

:bag:

I'm tired. you were obviously having a laugh.
You poor soul. That is the worst place I have ever been to in all of my life.And I'm not so sure he's having a laugh. I've always known it as (phonetically) 'Mihlano' too.

It's "Mee-lahn", not "AC Milan" or any other shortening thereof.
It's actually "Milan". Americans and their crazy accents. :no:
I'm assuming :suds: ...? I lived in Milan for several months. Most definitely "Mee-lahn" as opposed to "Mih-lahn".

eta: I loved Milan- get's a bad wrap by visitors as being "industrial". It's no Rome or Florence in terms of physical beauty so I can understand why tourists would't be so enthused, but it was a great place to live- the most like NYC of all the Italian cities, IMO (which is a good thing for me).

:bag:

I'm tired. you were obviously having a laugh.
You poor soul. That is the worst place I have ever been to in all of my life.And I'm not so sure he's having a laugh. I've always known it as (phonetically) 'Mihlano' too.
:thumbup: ...my brain hurts.Here's what I'm trying to say: the soccer/football club with the title "AC Milan" is phonetically called "Mee-lahn" by everybody in Italy (with emphasis on the "Mee"). Yes, the city is "Mee-lahno", but it's "Inter" and "Milan" as far as the teams go. "Mihlahn" or "Mihlahno" are the way non-Italians (mis)pronounce them. Like calling Sydney "Side-knee".

:bag: why do I bother when I care even less than all of you.

Hmmmm. A little disappointed, the US didn't try and go abroad here. I like Bradley a lot as a coach- I played against his Princeton teams when he was there and he always had them playing an attractive style of soccer, even if they might have lacked the skill and/or athleticism (out of his control). But this was an opportunity for the US to take a big step forward and go for a Klinsmann (I know) or somebody else who could have brought more to the table in furthering our game. I don't think Bradley will hurt us- but it just seems like an opportunity lost.

The RedStars/MetroBulls finally lost, to Colorado. More importantly- Angel played, and missed an absolute sitter to tie things up. I didn't watch the game, so I'm not sure how they all played.

I did catch the FC Toronto victory over the fire. Toronto looked decent throughout and more than deserved the victory against a Fire squad that looked outmatched by the passion FCT brought to their 2nd home game.

Mapp looked ready to take the game over in the early parts of the first half, but then completely disappeared. Tough to say whether it was tactical adjustments, marking, injury, laziness or what- but after getting me really excited for things to come (for the USMNT), I was pretty disappointed at his performance.

The TFC stadium was ROCKING- gb those fans for providing a glimpse at what MLS fans SHOULD be like. The place was packed, they were cheering, singing and just going crazy all game and especially when FCT scored (their first ever MLS goals). Big :thumbsup: for those fans and that stadium. That said- I wish they'd use grass instead of field-turf. I know the turf will hold up better in their climate, but I hate seeing soccer played on that crap (yes, better than astro-turf).

The FSC coverage was spot on too (versus the ESPN games I've caught so far). Max Brettos is a funny, knowledgable and competent play-by-play man while Chris Sullivan is one of the best Color guys in the US (along with Wynalda). The production crew did a solid job following the action and not getting caught up with side-pieces and closeups... espeically with the craziness of the crowd being a likely enticing option. Great sign of things to come.

Toronto's fans are what everyone wants as the typical fan for MLS games. That place was electric, and that was for the worst team in the league :)

Sadly, with 11+ seasons under our belt now, I think we know how most of the communities will act. I can't for the life of me ever see a NE audiance being that good.

DC's fan base gets it.

SJ's got a whiff of it the couple of times Landon came back as the traitor (awesome atmosphere for those games).

LA vs Chivas tends to be good

Other than that its very very weak IMO.

Toronto's fans are what everyone wants as the typical fan for MLS games. That place was electric, and that was for the worst team in the league :banned:

Sadly, with 11+ seasons under our belt now, I think we know how most of the communities will act. I can't for the life of me ever see a NE audiance being that good.

DC's fan base gets it.

SJ's got a whiff of it the couple of times Landon came back as the traitor (awesome atmosphere for those games).

Yeah, you're probably right about that.But I think a big part of the problem has been the teams playing in Football stadia meant for crowds 3-5x the size what the MLS is aiming for in it's early years. Cavernous stadium with lots of empty seats doesn't exactly add up to quality game-time experience.

Metrostars get some good crowds- a small, but very determined group of hardcore fans make up for the rest of us who come in sitting in small groups by ourselves in that place. The new stadium will make a big differnece, IMO. Now I just gotta figure out how to get there...

Another aside- I've been really impressed with the play of some of the recent draft picks in the MLS. The quality of play at the youth levels here and in Canada have come a LONG ways since my playing days. FCT had a young Canadian Youth national player get in the game and play really well. Noticed a guy for Chivas- either from this year or last year- who really impressed me as well.

El Floppo said:
andy_b said:
Hmmmm. A little disappointed, the US didn't try and go abroad here. I like Bradley a lot as a coach- I played against his Princeton teams when he was there and he always had them playing an attractive style of soccer, even if they might have lacked the skill and/or athleticism (out of his control). But this was an opportunity for the US to take a big step forward and go for a Klinsmann (I know) or somebody else who could have brought more to the table in furthering our game. I don't think Bradley will hurt us- but it just seems like an opportunity lost.
With how well the US team has performed since Bradley took over, I suspect it would've been hard for Gulati to hire someone else now.

Toronto's fans are what everyone wants as the typical fan for MLS games. That place was electric, and that was for the worst team in the league :)

DC's fan base gets it.

Yeah, you're probably right about that.But I think a big part of the problem has been the teams playing in Football stadia meant for crowds 3-5x the size what the MLS is aiming for in it's early years. Cavernous stadium with lots of empty seats doesn't exactly add up to quality game-time experience.

Metrostars get some good crowds- a small, but very determined group of hardcore fans make up for the rest of us who come in sitting in small groups by ourselves in that place. The new stadium will make a big differnece, IMO. Now I just gotta figure out how to get there..
I agree that the horrendous stadium situation has hurt. Look at how nice a 14k crowd looked in Colorado's little stadium the other night. The atmosphere would have sucked in the Bronco's stadium with that same size crowd.

I too hope Red Bull Park will help, I just wonder if it will get her in time. I am hearing 2009now.

They look to still be pushing dirt at the site (check during the day at the link below)

http://www.redbullpark.com/stadium_webcam.html

This is a brilliant Toronto FC clip that all should watch.

Think the marketing guys need to rethink "seat cushion" night? :thumbup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQvz01OKrsA
:wall: I forgot to mention the seat cushions! Max Brettos at some point laughed about whether people were going to hold onto them after the 2nd goal- just in case goal #3 came along.

As much as I liked the coverage by FSC- it was decidedly pro-Canada. They all kinda laughed off the seat cushions and seemed to encourage it- that it showed the TFC fans' passion. I assume they won't be so forgiving when one of the players gets conked in the head with an Eric Wynalda bobble-head.

An article in today's paper said local bars were being charged $2000 to show the FA Cup. Only 1 bar in town will be showing it. Anyone else hear this in their area?

HellToupee said:
:own3d: to Newcastle for hiring Sam Allardyce
:mellow: Hopefully, Newcastle can turn it around next year.
Anybody have any news on whether Owen is returning?Last I heard about him, he was called up to the England "B" side for a friendly to get him match fitness for an "A" game vs Brazil.
Last I read, he might be wanting to go elsewhere. If that happens, he will be hated by the Toon Army for the rest of his career.

An article in today's paper said local bars were being charged $2000 to show the FA Cup. Only 1 bar in town will be showing it. Anyone else hear this in their area?
I'm sure there'll be a few places showing it within a 3 block radius. (more Euros in my hood than locals- so much for "immigration" laws) Not sure what the bars are getting charged, but I'm sure they'll be showing it.

Owen was called up for the B squad, but suffered a concussion after colliding with one of his own players in the Watford match. I haven't heard if he'll be fit for the B squad match or not. Allardyce is claiming that he wants to keep him there, but who knows.

As for the FA cup, I feel sorry for any bar that paid two grand to be able to show this. I'm watching on sopcast and it has been dreadful for the most part. At least the gamecast on Soccernet has been entertaining. The guy doing the play by play is ripping Robben every chance he gets. I love it.

Think the marketing guys need to rethink "seat cushion" night? :confused:

:toilet: I forgot to mention the seat cushions! Max Brettos at some point laughed about whether people were going to hold onto them after the 2nd goal- just in case goal #3 came along.

As much as I liked the coverage by FSC- it was decidedly pro-Canada. They all kinda laughed off the seat cushions and seemed to encourage it- that it showed the TFC fans' passion. I assume they won't be so forgiving when one of the players gets conked in the head with an Eric Wynalda bobble-head.
I've been to a couple games. Great, great atmosphere.2 more incidents:

-Dousing the opposing goalie with beer in game 1. It's good to see he took it with humour.

"I don't know if it was Molson or Moosehead," the Kansas City Wizards veteran
Of course there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but I think Sutton said it best near the end of that article.
"I don't know if I've ever got hit with a beer, I may have had a battery thrown at me," Sutton said. "But that's soccer for you. It's good to see that the fans are energetic and are vocal -- good and bad."
-Falling debris in the stadium, possibly due to the vibrations from rowdy fans but definitely shouldn't happen.Oh and by the way the team sent out an email to all season ticket holders before the last game to keep it classy.

Toronto FC asks passionate fans not to misbehave at home games

Wed May 16, 11:14 AM

TORONTO (CP) - Toronto FC fans are quickly earning a reputation as some of the most passionate in Major League Soccer.

But after a raucous display Saturday when giveaway seat cushions were tossed on the field like Frisbees and a handful of fans invaded the pitch, the expansion franchise is asking spectators not to overstep the line.

"In only two games, Toronto's BMO Field has been established as one of the most difficult and intimidating places for visiting teams to travel to, but it must be everyone's responsibility to ensure this reputation is for the right reasons," the club said in an e-mail Monday to its 14,000 season ticket-holders.

The club said anyone throwing "projectiles of any kind," running onto the pitch or doing anything "that jeopardizes the safety of the players, officials or fans" will face prosecution and be banned from the stadium.

"As loyal fans to our team, let's take it upon ourselves to ensure that our club and home are treated with the respect it deserves," the e-mail says.

The club did praise its fans for their devotion, however.

"There is no doubt about it; Toronto FC has the greatest fans in the MLS. The atmosphere and energy that was on display last Saturday not only rivals any sporting event in this city - but ranks right up there with soccer stadiums across the globe. . . . Once again, thanks for being the loudest, proudest and greatest fans in the league, now let's prove we are also the classiest!"

Saturday's 3-1 win over Chicago marked the first goals, points, and win for Toronto FC.

Sheva eyes swansong in MLS

Chelsea's Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko has revealed how he would like to become part of the growing football revolution in America at some stage of his career.

Shevchenko, who joined the Premiership club for £30million last summer, has failed to reproduce the kind of form which prompted Chelsea to pay AC Milan a record fee.

But the 30-year-old, who missed Chelsea's FA Cup final victory over Manchester United on Saturday because of a groin injury, admits to having an ambition to play in the US.

Real Madrid's David Beckham is about to cross the Atlantic to join Los Angeles Galaxy and Shevchenko said: 'I'd like to play there, actually.

'Soccer is growing in the US and I'd like to be a part of that. I played there last summer against the MLS All-Stars and I saw myself that it's definitely improving.'
May be a couple years off, but it would still be huge.

HoTnickZ said:

Think the marketing guys need to rethink "seat cushion" night? :yes:

:lmao: I forgot to mention the seat cushions! Max Brettos at some point laughed about whether people were going to hold onto them after the 2nd goal- just in case goal #3 came along.

I've been to a couple games. Great, great atmosphere.2 more incidents:

-Dousing the opposing goalie with beer in game 1. It's good to see he took it with humour.

"I don't know if it was Molson or Moosehead," the Kansas City Wizards veteran
Of course there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, but I think Sutton said it best near the end of that article.
"I don't know if I've ever got hit with a beer, I may have had a battery thrown at me," Sutton said. "But that's soccer for you. It's good to see that the fans are energetic and are vocal -- good and bad."
-Falling debris in the stadium, possibly due to the vibrations from rowdy fans but definitely shouldn't happen.Oh and by the way the team sent out an email to all season ticket holders before the last game to keep it classy.

Toronto FC asks passionate fans not to misbehave at home games

Wed May 16, 11:14 AM

TORONTO (CP) - Toronto FC fans are quickly earning a reputation as some of the most passionate in Major League Soccer.

But after a raucous display Saturday when giveaway seat cushions were tossed on the field like Frisbees and a handful of fans invaded the pitch, the expansion franchise is asking spectators not to overstep the line.

"In only two games, Toronto's BMO Field has been established as one of the most difficult and intimidating places for visiting teams to travel to, but it must be everyone's responsibility to ensure this reputation is for the right reasons," the club said in an e-mail Monday to its 14,000 season ticket-holders.

The club said anyone throwing "projectiles of any kind," running onto the pitch or doing anything "that jeopardizes the safety of the players, officials or fans" will face prosecution and be banned from the stadium.

"As loyal fans to our team, let's take it upon ourselves to ensure that our club and home are treated with the respect it deserves," the e-mail says.

The club did praise its fans for their devotion, however.

"There is no doubt about it; Toronto FC has the greatest fans in the MLS. The atmosphere and energy that was on display last Saturday not only rivals any sporting event in this city - but ranks right up there with soccer stadiums across the globe. . . . Once again, thanks for being the loudest, proudest and greatest fans in the league, now let's prove we are also the classiest!"

Saturday's 3-1 win over Chicago marked the first goals, points, and win for Toronto FC.
Toronto has to be very careful here in walking the thin line with the fans. No one wants people tossing stuff on to the field at every corner kick, but at the same time, the front office has to be VERY careful in not strangling what looks to be a very special atmosphere there.They should do some research and see how the very lively Metro fan base was hogged tied and eventually made to feel so unwelcomed they stopped coming by extremely exuberant security.

I'm going to my first MLS game on Thursday night. Red Bulls against Chicago at Giants Stadium. Hopefully, it's a good game. I'm taking my daughter. :goodposting:

Chelsea's Ukrainian striker Andriy Shevchenko has revealed how he would like to become part of the growing football revolution in America at some stage of his career.

Shevchenko, who joined the Premiership club for £30million last summer, has failed to reproduce the kind of form which prompted Chelsea to pay AC Milan a record fee.

But the 30-year-old, who missed Chelsea's FA Cup final victory over Manchester United on Saturday because of a groin injury, admits to having an ambition to play in the US.

Real Madrid's David Beckham is about to cross the Atlantic to join Los Angeles Galaxy and Shevchenko said: 'I'd like to play there, actually.

'Soccer is growing in the US and I'd like to be a part of that. I played there last summer against the MLS All-Stars and I saw myself that it's definitely improving.'
I believe he has an American wife who's a model.

Barça and Real are all tied up after Real needed an extra time goal to win and Barça destroyed my Atlético 6-0 in Madrid.

I was in Paris thankfully and didn't have to watch the massacre. Messi is the real ####### deal. This la liga title is shaping up well.

I'm going to my first MLS game on Thursday night. Red Bulls against Chicago at Giants Stadium. Hopefully, it's a good game. I'm taking my daughter. :goodposting:
The game will be ok but be warned that you are watching a game in likely one of the worst stadiums in the league.The field sucks, the atmosphere sucks and the crowd is likely to be tiny.

Red Bull can't get out of the Swamp fast enough IMO. They are still just pushing dirt at the new location so I am very worried that it will not open in 2008 as hoped

http://www.redbullpark.com/stadium_webcam.html

I'm going to my first MLS game on Thursday night. Red Bulls against Chicago at Giants Stadium. Hopefully, it's a good game. I'm taking my daughter. :thumbdown:
:stirspot: Cool, NB! Andy's right about the whole vibe there, but it's STILL fun to see a pro game, especially with your daughter.I haven't caught a game yet this year, so I'm not helping the situation.

:shrug:

I believe he has an American wife who's a model.
:lmao: Sheva in the states would be insane. He hasn't seemed to really fit with Chelsea- I think their attacking play through the midfield and wings takes away his strength: finding space up front and getting launched one on one against a defender.

Wow... this reminds me a lot of the Beck's comments about kinda/sorta/maybe/someday coming to play in the states if the situation was right.

Wow... this reminds me a lot of the Beck's comments about kinda/sorta/maybe/someday coming to play in the states if the situation was right.
Becks coming will open a lot of eyes in terms of other players taking notice of the $$. MLS needs to sign one more high profile player and then I think with in 3 years we could easily see anywhere from 8-10 big names, albeit slightly past their prime, in MLS.

I'm going to my first MLS game on Thursday night. Red Bulls against Chicago at Giants Stadium. Hopefully, it's a good game. I'm taking my daughter. :shrug:
;) Cool, NB! Andy's right about the whole vibe there, but it's STILL fun to see a pro game, especially with your daughter.I haven't caught a game yet this year, so I'm not helping the situation.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of comments about the stadium. That's alright. My daughter won't know the difference. Hell, I won't either.I imagine ticket prices will go way up with the new stadium.

### #### it! I was just talking about this possibility earlier in the thread

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/05/r...um_stalled.html

Red Bulls' stadium stalled

Posted by Frank Giase May 21, 2007 2:31PM

Categories: Sports

The Red Bulls, in a letter to their season ticket holders, announced today that the soccer stadium they are building in Harrison will not be completed on time next year.

The facility, scheduled to be open in the summer, is now expected to be completed in late September due to the cleanup of industrial waste and the removal of extensive cement foundations that were discovered after the site was cleared.

"Based on our original timeline, it's unexpected," Red Bulls managing director Marc de Grandpre told The Star-Ledger. "Like any construction project, problems arise. The site wasn't the cleanest of sites when it was selected. It's part of the normal process."

De Grandpre said that if any other delays occur, the facility will not open until April 2009, when the Major League Soccer season gets underway.

The Red Bulls' lease at Giants Stadium has a provision that will let the team play there until their own stadium is completed, even if the opening is pushed back to 2009.

Once Red Bull Park is open, MLS is expected to play the league championship game and the all-star game there as soon as possible.

===========================================================

ok the only positive I get out of this is I much more prefer opening a stadium at the beginning of the season rather than in the middle causing all sorts of scheduling issues.

Users who are viewing this thread