Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Do you give blood?

munga30

Giving Blood  

85 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm dontaing blood today. I've done it in the past whenever the bloodmobile has been at work, but never with any consistency. This is the first time I've sought out a location and made an appointment. It was surprisingly easy to find convenient options at the Red Cross blood donation site givelife.org. Poll is self explanatory. If its something you haven't done, give it a try. There's always a need.

Here's an interesting chart from the givelife FAQ (perhaps a mod will come by and clean it up a bit):

Blood	  Dist in		Percent of U.S. Pop		 Percent of U.S. Pop Type	  U.S. Pop*		You Can Receive			  You Can Give						   Red Blood Cells From		  Red Blood Cells To O +		   38%			   45%					  84% O -			 7%			   7%					  100% A +			34%			 85%					  37% A -			 6%			   13%					  44% B +			9%			   56%					 12% B -			 2%				9%					  15% AB +		   3%			   100%					  3% AB -		   1%				16%					   4%

I last gave blood in November of last year. I saw my blood pressure number from that, and right then I decided I was going to go on a diet. I've lost 34 pounds since then. I'll give again when I'm either done with my diet or I feel comfortable that I can give blood again.

I don't remember my blood type, but it isn't O+ or O-.

I used to donate every eight weeks, then about a year ago I started donating red blood cells only. Last August I was rejected post-donation for a positive in in one of the broad spectrum tests, subsequent narrow spectrum tests showed it to be a false positive but never-the-less, I am no longer eligible to donate.

I voted its a no-no but only because they wont take mine

I was on meds for Epilipsy during my teens and they will not take it due to the chance of me having a seizure while giving

I have not had a seizure in 23 years, I had 3 seizures in one 8 hour period and never had one again.

But they will not take my blood :shuked:

I wasn't sure how to vote. I give when it's convenient, but that's at least once a year.

The Bloodmobile comes to my work 3 or 4 times a year. If I'm not sick or out of town, I'll stop in.

Used to regularly give (sell) plasma in college. Good source of beer money.

I only give blood when I am poor and want to get really wasted off a few drinks.

Seriously, I give occasionally. Can you donate your blood and have it stored for personal use if need be? I ask, because my Dad has been in the hospital, and they have been leery of giving him too much blood via transfusion, because they said his chances of his body accepting a transplant decrease with the more of other people's blood you have.

O+ and I give 2-3 times a year. I just started in the last 3-4 years. My father was receiving blood transfusions every 2-3 weeks the last year of his life. I'll probably do it as often as I can as long as they'll let me. Hopefully I didn't pick up hepatitis from goaltogogirl in Vegas. They come to my office and there's also a Red Cross shop two miles from home. Too convenient not to do it on a regular basis.

I spent years believing I couldn't donate because my hemoglobin count is low.

Last year, after a conversation with the chick running one of the blood drives here, I found out that did not preclude me from donating. So I let her talk me into stopping in to play 50 questions and have a blood sample analyzed.

After she took the sample, she came back and said, "Yeah, you can't donate because your hemoglobin count is too low."

"I ALREADY KNEW THAT!!!" :hot:

My wife gave blood at work one time. Afterwards, she passed out in the elevator and peed her pants. I have avoided giving blood since this incident.

That reminds me of the first time I gave blood. I was fine during and after. I think I got up to leave too soon. I got up, put my shirt on and went into the bathroom. I had never fainted before so I didn't know what was happening to me. While standing at the urinal, I felt "darkness" closing in from the sides of my eyes. Next thing I know someone was standing over me asking if I was alright. I had fallen backwards and hit my head on the wall. He said it was loud. I didn't feel it, but fainting was strange. The next time I gave blood was during a normal lab work for regular cholesterol testing or HIV testing. My fainting episode was in my mind and I'll be damned if I didn't start to faint in the chair. The nurse asked me if I was alright. I was just about out. But I didn't faint. It turned me off to giving blood for awhile. But since I've been fine with giving lab samples. Just during that lab work they took 5 viles for different tests.

I give the 4 times a year the BloodMobile is at work ... but: the last time, they rejected me for high blood pressure. :goodposting: Might have go on the djcolts plan.

I don't think giving up sex lowers your blood pressure.

ETA: Sorry dj. I couldn't resist.

I used to. The last time was probably 10+ years ago.

I used to either pass out, or I would make it through but it would take 30 minutes for me to fill the bag.

I shared that with my Dr and he told me not to bother any more. I don't remember what my blood type is but he said it was common enough that it wasn't necessary.

I only give blood when I am poor and want to get really wasted off a few drinks.Seriously, I give occasionally. Can you donate your blood and have it stored for personal use if need be? I ask, because my Dad has been in the hospital, and they have been leery of giving him too much blood via transfusion, because they said his chances of his body accepting a transplant decrease with the more of other people's blood you have.

You can do a designated donation. I did this about five years ago for one of my wife's coworker's husband who was battling some form of cancer. He passed away last year :thumbdown:

Topped off my 2nd gallon this past weekend (16th donation). I probably make it three or four times a year. I'm A-, so I get called a lot to donate because I can donate to a higher percentage of people in need.

A-, this answers every question I've ever had about you. :rolleyes:

Every eight weeks here, been giving blood for about 20 years now. I could not even figure out how many gallons I have given..........

You're a good man, Charlie Brown! :thumbup: I give as close to every two months as I can. The Red Cross calls me at home and at work when it's my time to donate again and I usually do it. The pre-screening tests take longer now and it's harder to find time to do it with kids and work, but I still do it with regularity and have for about a decade. I'm working on my 4th gallon. O+

I give blood when I need an aids test.:excited:

:yes::lmao::lmao: But you know, you bring up a good point. If I ran the Red Cross, I might market the campaign to give blood exactly that way to the college crowd and party goers. Why not push the envelope a little - be a little daring and see if you can't bring in more arms to the chair?As well, there have long been studies about the effect of iron levels on the human heart and recently, data came out that supported the theory that regular blood donation by males in their early adult lives can help reduce iron levels in the body, thus improving cardiovascular health and lowering the risk of heart disease. Storage of iron levels can, over time, do damage do the heart and vascular system. One interesting school of thought on why women typically outlive men is that women naturally rid their body of iron levels through menstruation. Thus, they are less at risk for heart disease due to monthly blood flow. Therefore, it is actually healthy for young men to regularly donate as they can rid their bodies of iron levels and prolong their life. So the theory goes....Why not market this to young men and see if they can't get more donors? Perhaps the greatest gift you can give (blood) is also the smartest thing you can do to live a healthier life. get the message out.

No option for those of us who can't donate? I have AB+ and they used to call me literally every month to give blood, and I did probably 5-6 times a year. Then they tell me that I am permanently ineligible because I lived in Germany during the 1980s and Mad Cow Disease is a risk. Oh well........

Topped off my 2nd gallon this past weekend (16th donation). I probably make it three or four times a year. I'm A-, so I get called a lot to donate because I can donate to a higher percentage of people in need.

I get called all the time as well (O- so anyone can get my blood). I am lucky that my office has a blood drive every couple of months so I simply do that. I have been donating 3-4/year for the past 20 years. How many gallons is that?

I usually give twice a year or so, except last time I went in the tech had a hard time finding a vein and nicked either a nerve or a tendon -- the most excruciating pain I've felt in some time shot up my arm and my arm was sore for two weeks. I haven't been back since.

The bloodmobile comes around here every 8 weeks. I try to donate regularly, gave my 34th unit this month.

Many, many years ago I donated plasma and that ruined it for me for a very long time.

O+ by the way.

I give every 2.5 months or so. Ever since I stopped by the main branch of the Red Cross a year or so ago, they call me within a week of when I am eligible again. I then go in within a week or so when I can make it.

I'm anxiously anticipating my next donation - last time I donated I sucked out about 15 times on my way to winning an FBG poker tourney! I figured it was from the good karma that donating obviously gives!

I think it was on Jeopardy last night that 90% of the blood donations in Argentina come from the family of the patient. Found that to be an amazing stat.

Last time I tried to give my iron was too low. My wife gives every 2 months or so and the blood bank calls on the exact day...and the next day...and three times that Saturday...to remind her.

I used to donate plasma twice a week for extra money (200/month), stopped doing it for a year because I got a better job and recently being going back at the same rate, but this time I donate the money to my favorite charity.

Hit two ducks with one stone. Someone in need gets my plasma and I can give my charity of choice a solid amount of mula each month without it affecting my lifestyle.

I have no problem giving, but never seem to get around to it. I'm B- so I should do all I can to help my karma, to improve the chances that it'll be available when I need it.

But it's my doctor that is pushing me to donate regularly. My iron is too high, so we'll see if some regular bloodletting will bring it down.

:leaches:

Archived