What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brandon Marshall trades (1 Viewer)

don't have to. Thanks to my buddy Bloom, I got him in 6 dynasty leagues last year during the rookie drafts using a 3rd round pick in almost every league. :wall: :bye: :goodposting: :yes:

Two weeks ago...

I offered Gates/Jarrett for B.Edwards/Marshall - rejected.

I offered Eli/Gabriel for Leinart/Marshall - rejected

I offered Gates/Bruce for Edwards/Marshall - rejected (probably not the best offer)

Two weeks ago...

I offered Gates/Bruce for Edwards/Marshall - rejected (probably not the best offer)
In a TE required league, I would accept either of those offers to receive Gates.

Two weeks ago...

In a TE required league, I would accept either of those offers to receive Gates.
It's not a TE required league. WR and TE are grouped as the same.

I just sent Brady,Chicago D,Gould and a 07 3rd round rook pick(Next to last) for Hass,Seneca Wallace,Brandon Marshall,Longwell,Oakland D...

I've always been a little bit wary of him. He looked painfully slow in college. The camp buzz was good and he closed out last year in good form, but I'm still seeing too many shades of Ernest Wilford and Clarence Moore here.

I've always been a little bit wary of him. He looked painfully slow in college. The camp buzz was good and he closed out last year in good form, but I'm still seeing too many shades of Ernest Wilford and Clarence Moore here.
:thumbup: Those are the first two guys that popped into my head when I started reading this post. All share the good measurables and have talent, but the speed just isn't there, so they all will be limited target-wise. And this is coming from an Ernest Wilford apologist.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Wilford and Moore don't have the agility/athleticism of Marshall - they are both as big as Marshall, but much stiffer.2) Moore doesn't have ball skills approaching Marshall's, and Wilford does, but he also struggles with drops.3) Wilford and Moore don't have the run after catch ability, both in speed and tackle breaking/moves, of Marshall. Did Marshall look painfully slow on his 71 yard TD catch and run vs. Seattle?Usually I agree with you EBF, but I believe you're missing the boat here.

1) Wilford and Moore don't have the agility/athleticism of Marshall - they are both as big as Marshall, but much stiffer.2) Moore doesn't have ball skills approaching Marshall's, and Wilford does, but he also struggles with drops.3) Wilford and Moore don't have the run after catch ability, both in speed and tackle breaking/moves, of Marshall. Did Marshall look painfully slow on his 71 yard TD catch and run vs. Seattle.Usually I agree with you EBF, but I believe you're missing the boat here.
:popcorn: Marshall is actually one of the guys on my teams I deemed untouchable this offseason. I really want to see what he can do this year.

I tend to let young receivers sit on someone else's bench for a while. While I applaud those of you with the foresight to grab Brandon Marshall and other young receivers, I find that veterans with the same production can often be had for half the price.

I'm a Marshall owner in two leagues, and I'm not getting nearly enough value in offers for him. I'm even fairly down on the guy.

I'd rather take the chance that his value explodes at this point.

Speaking of that 71 yarder vs Seattle. Anyone have a video of that for download? I want to put it on my team site but can not find it anywhere.

I tend to let young receivers sit on someone else's bench for a while. While I applaud those of you with the foresight to grab Brandon Marshall and other young receivers, I find that veterans with the same production can often be had for half the price.
:yucky: Very true Colin, sometimes you just have the roster space to let a guy sit and develop. With receivers though it can be a crap shoot at times whether or not they pan out.

:fishing: Very true Colin, sometimes you just have the roster space to let a guy sit and develop. With receivers though it can be a crap shoot at times whether or not they pan out.
Now is a bad time to go for Marshall.Wait for week 3, he'll have 5 catches for 40 yards, 0 TDs, and people will be screaming he's a bust. =)

:fishing: Very true Colin, sometimes you just have the roster space to let a guy sit and develop. With receivers though it can be a crap shoot at times whether or not they pan out.
Now is a bad time to go for Marshall.Wait for week 3, he'll have 5 catches for 40 yards, 0 TDs, and people will be screaming he's a bust. =)
This isn't a bad strategy. Lee Evans started out ice cold last year too.

:goodposting: Very true Colin, sometimes you just have the roster space to let a guy sit and develop. With receivers though it can be a crap shoot at times whether or not they pan out.
This isn't a bad strategy. Lee Evans started out ice cold last year too.
Then again, it's still a bit of a crap shoot. You can pay a lower price, but what are you really getting? If they turn it around like Lee Evans...you're a genius. If not, you are looking like a BMW ower. ;) Well, you get the point.

Before Bell went to Detriot I traded Calhoun for Marshall

In another league I'm not getting much interest for him.

He's available on the waiver wire in my dynasty league, I'm planning on pick him up in the second or third round probably. No one in my league seems to have much interest in him, either that or he's just not on their radar at all

He's available on the waiver wire in my dynasty league, I'm planning on pick him up in the second or third round probably. No one in my league seems to have much interest in him, either that or he's just not on their radar at all
:sleep: Any openings?

By once again focusing on the offense, the Broncos are getting back to what made them great

by James Merrillatt

The winds of change are blowing at Dove Valley.

What a difference 14 months makes. Just 58 weeks ago, the Denver Broncos were playing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. Today, every player who recorded an offensive statistic that day for the home team is either no longer with the club or figures to see a diminished role in 2007.

Jake Plummer completed 18 out 30 passes for 223 yards in the 34-17 loss, throwing a touchdown and two interceptions for a 66.4 passer rating. He was traded on Saturday to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and appears to be headed for retirement.

Mike Anderson was the team’s leading rusher, racking up a mere 36 yards on nine carries and scoring a touchdown. He left town a few weeks after the game, signing with the Baltimore Ravens prior to the 2006 season.

Sandwiched between Anderson and Plummer (30 yards) on the stat sheet that day was Tatum Bell, a back who picked up 31 yards on just five carries. He also caught a team-high five passes against the Steelers. A little over a year later, he was traded to Detroit.

Right behind Bell in receiving were Rod Smith (four catches for 61 yards) and Jeb Putzier (four grabs for 55 yards). It was announced on Tuesday that Smith recently underwent a debridement procedure on his left hip, an arthroscopic surgery that figures to keep the wide receiver out of action for four months. Putzier, on the other hand, has long since left Denver, signing with Houston after being released by the Broncos a few weeks after the team’s loss to the Steelers.

The final set of numbers in the title game loss belonged to wide receiver Ashley Lelie, who mixed a touchdown into his otherwise pedestrian two-catch, 68-yard game. After a contract dispute following the 2005 season, Lelie was traded to Atlanta. He recently signed a free-agent contract with the San Francisco 49ers.

That’s five players gone and another one on his last leg. It gets even more dramatic when you go beyond the Broncos skill position players. George Foster, who started that day at right tackle against Pittsburgh, was shipped to the Lions along with Bell.

That’s a huge turnover. And it’s from a team that not only made it to the AFC Championship Game, but was also the fourth-highest scoring Broncos team during the Mike Shanahan era. Only the Super Bowl teams in 1997 (29.5 ppg) and 1998 (31.3 ppg), as well as the 2000 squad (30.3), produced more points than the 2005 squad (24.7).

While that production was certainly nothing to be ashamed of, it wasn’t up to Shanahan’s standards. He expects his offense to score 30-plus every week, not less than 25. But under a half-century has become the norm in the Mile High City, as the team’s paltry 19.9 points per game average in 2006 continued a six-year streak of the Broncos putting less than 25 on the scoreboard every Sunday.

This dip coincides with the team making a conscious effort to bolster their defense, assuming that the system, rather than players, will take care of the offense.

Since 1999, the Broncos used four of their six first-round draft choices on defensive players. They also used five second-round picks to bolster their defense. During this same timeframe, Denver traded their best offensive player – running back Clinton Portis – to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey. The also dealt for Ebenezer Ekuban, Michael Myers and Gerald Warren. And in the free agent market, the Broncos biggest signings were on the defensive side of the ball, adding the likes of Dale Carter, Kavika Pittman, Leon Lett, Denard Walker, Daryl Gardener, Ian Gold, Courtney Brown, Nick Ferguson and John Lynch. In other words, they completely rebuilt their defense, with every starter other than linebacker Al Wilson coming to Denver since 2004.

With only one playoff victory since the Broncos hoisted the Vince Lombardi Trophy following the 1998 season, this change in strategy proved ineffective. Focusing on defense hasn’t worked in Denver.

Now, it’s time for Shanahan to turn his attention to revamping his once-vaunted offense. That’s why the 2007 season will see a quarterback (Jay Cutler), running back (Travis Henry), tight end (Daniel Graham) and wide receiver tandem (Javon Walker and Brandon Marshall) that weren’t on the roster when the Broncos played in the 2005 AFC title game.

All would have to be considered an upgrade. Cutler has a much bigger arm than Plummer. Henry is a proven running back, compared to the “by-committee” system the Broncos have used since Portis left town. Graham is a premier blocker and pass catcher, a combination of talents that Putzier never possessed. Walker has the big-play capability of Lelie, but also possesses much better hands and is tougher across the middle. And Marshall is a big target with breakaway speed, something the soon-to-be 37-year-old Smith can no longer boast.

The notion that “defense wins championships” sounds good, but it’s just not true in Denver. The Broncos are an offensive-minded franchise. They win by putting glossy numbers on the scoreboard, not holding opponents in check. Not playing to their strength was a mistake. Less than 14 months later, the Broncos have corrected that error.

I traded 2.11 and Marshall for 5.3 and Jason Talyor in a IDP Dynasty league. I probably overpaid for Taylor but he's been a stud at DE and will give me an advantage in that match up.

:thumbup: Any openings?
He would have been on my leagues waivers had I not picked him up last year. Not every dynasty league has waivers opened year round or huge rosters to stash project players away on for a few years.

Clarence Moore is a 6'6" beanpole who can't catch. Ernest Wilford is as slow as molasses and can't catch.Marshall is bigger, faster and has better hands that either of those two bums.

:lmao: Any openings?
He would have been on my leagues waivers had I not picked him up last year. Not every dynasty league has waivers opened year round or huge rosters to stash project players away on for a few years.
Yea I would have stashed him long ago but waivers close in week 14 and its only a 22 man roster with IDP's

Just offered Gates/2.03/2008 second for Marshall/1.03 - ---- No TE required league

However, we have a one roundc ollege draft each and most of the solid players are taken... russell, meachem, bowe are some of the guys not taken in the top 14

Mister CIA said:
I rejected a straight-up Marty Booker for Marshall offer. :rolleyes:
Good for you. Your fantasy football priviledges would have been suspended had you made that awful trade.Who makes an offer like that? Marty Booker for Brandon Marshall? C'mon!

Patoons said:
Just offered Gates/2.03/2008 second for Marshall/1.03 - ---- No TE required leagueHowever, we have a one roundc ollege draft each and most of the solid players are taken... russell, meachem, bowe are some of the guys not taken in the top 14
This offer was accepted for those interested

1) Wilford and Moore don't have the agility/athleticism of Marshall - they are both as big as Marshall, but much stiffer.2) Moore doesn't have ball skills approaching Marshall's, and Wilford does, but he also struggles with drops.

3) Wilford and Moore don't have the run after catch ability, both in speed and tackle breaking/moves, of Marshall.

Did Marshall look painfully slow on his 71 yard TD catch and run vs. Seattle?

Usually I agree with you EBF, but I believe you're missing the boat here.
I didn't see anyone catching him. I did see him run over some guys. That slows you down. Yet no one caught him. he's fast enough. Video os on the denverbroncos.com site under Brand Marshall's profile.For comparison, Marshall, who caught 20 passes as a rookie for the Broncos, was clocked in 4.49 seconds at the Combine last year, then 4.44 at pro day. Walker did not run the 40 Thursday.

Yeah, he's fast enough.

In a heavy IDP league with PPR I have gotten these offers:

Ryan Moats for V. Jackson and Marshall

and

RMoss, Morency and Osi Umenyiora for Benson and Marshall

Also have been offered up a 4th for him in a Zealots league. I'm gonna hold onto the kid boom or bust.

As a Denver fan, I'd be a lot more excited about Brandon Marshall if it weren't for Darius Watts, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, Chris Cole, Kelvin Kight, and Marcus Nash. Who are they? My point exactly.

For two straight years now in Lammey's Denver camp reports I have made a joke about the lifecycle of the "next big WR" in Denver. Basically, what it boils down to is this:

Step #1- he gets drafted (usually reasonably late, although occasionally he's drafted early and viewed as a rather large reach). Step #2- he gets hyped as potentially the next Rod Smith. Step #3- he gets into training camps, makes a few circus catches with shorts on. Step #4- the media whips the hype into a veritable frenzy. The WR's replica jerseys start selling like hotcakes. Watercooler discussions center on whether the WR will go for 1,000 yards this year, or if it will take him until next season. Step #5- the season rolls around and the WR spends most of it on the inactive list. Step #6- the WR finally cracks the active list, has a lot of ill-timed drops, generally plays well below-average, fans declare WR a collosal disappointment. Step #7- WR makes one or two absolute circus plays very late in the season, but otherwise remains stuck in his well-below-average ways. Step #8- Offseason rolls around. If Denver drafts a new WR late or reaches on a new WR early, return to step #1. Otherwise, advance to step #9. Step #9- Despite slump, WR is projected as the #2 in the upcoming season again. Fans forget the discussion of said WRs mediocrity and wax nostalgically about the aforementioned circus catches. Return to step #2.

Now, Brandon Marshall may be the WR to break that cycle, but then again, Darius Watts and Triandos Luke might have been, as well. Until he shows me something more than 20 catches for 300 yards, I'm going to remain guarded in my optimism. Give me a proven performer any day of the week.

As a Denver fan, I'd be a lot more excited about Brandon Marshall if it weren't for Darius Watts, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, Chris Cole, Kelvin Kight, and Marcus Nash. Who are they? My point exactly.For two straight years now in Lammey's Denver camp reports I have made a joke about the lifecycle of the "next big WR" in Denver. Basically, what it boils down to is this:Step #1- he gets drafted (usually reasonably late, although occasionally he's drafted early and viewed as a rather large reach). Step #2- he gets hyped as potentially the next Rod Smith. Step #3- he gets into training camps, makes a few circus catches with shorts on. Step #4- the media whips the hype into a veritable frenzy. The WR's replica jerseys start selling like hotcakes. Watercooler discussions center on whether the WR will go for 1,000 yards this year, or if it will take him until next season. Step #5- the season rolls around and the WR spends most of it on the inactive list. Step #6- the WR finally cracks the active list, has a lot of ill-timed drops, generally plays well below-average, fans declare WR a collosal disappointment. Step #7- WR makes one or two absolute circus plays very late in the season, but otherwise remains stuck in his well-below-average ways. Step #8- Offseason rolls around. If Denver drafts a new WR late or reaches on a new WR early, return to step #1. Otherwise, advance to step #9. Step #9- Despite slump, WR is projected as the #2 in the upcoming season again. Fans forget the discussion of said WRs mediocrity and wax nostalgically about the aforementioned circus catches. Return to step #2.Now, Brandon Marshall may be the WR to break that cycle, but then again, Darius Watts and Triandos Luke might have been, as well. Until he shows me something more than 20 catches for 300 yards, I'm going to remain guarded in my optimism. Give me a proven performer any day of the week.
Always solid. :goodposting: I love Brandon Marshall, and I feel that his personality (he's a bit of a nut - Jeff Legwold told Bloom & me that at the Senior Bowl) keeps him level headed. I know that he's one of the earliest to arrive at Dove Valley, and one of the latest to leave. He's taking his opportunity seriously, and I would love to see it translate into on-the-field performance.

As a Denver fan, I'd be a lot more excited about Brandon Marshall if it weren't for Darius Watts, Triandos Luke, Adrian Madise, Chris Cole, Kelvin Kight, and Marcus Nash. Who are they? My point exactly.
Missing Ashley Lelie and Eddie Kennison. A valid list regardless.

Cecil Lammey said:
I love Brandon Marshall, and I feel that his personality (he's a bit of a nut - Jeff Legwold told Bloom & me that at the Senior Bowl) keeps him level headed.
The fact that Marshall is a "beat of a different drummer" guy just earns him more points in my book. and he's from Pittsburgh.

Users who are viewing this thread