Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Sam Harris’ Letter to a Christian Nation

When this top-selling book written by the atheist Sam Harris was published last year there was considerable discussion on this board. I think I recall an offer from someone to purchase it for Joe Bryant and a reply from Joe that he’d consider reading it but only during the off-season. I don’t know whatever became of this and there are so many religious threads that my poor searching skills render it impossible to resurrect the old thread.

Joe, since the NFL season is now over, would you consider reading this? It is only 91 pages and quite the quick read. I’d be willing to purchase a copy for you and have it shipped to you on the condition that you’d be willing to read and review it in this thread.

You have often mentioned purchasing Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ for those who have questioned Christianity. You may have mentioned this in the ancient thread I scarcely remember. I would be willing to read and review this book if you would prefer an exchange.

PM me if you’re interested.

When this top-selling book written by the atheist Sam Harris was published last year there was considerable discussion on this board. I think I recall an offer from someone to purchase it for Joe Bryant and a reply from Joe that he’d consider reading it but only during the off-season. I don’t know whatever became of this and there are so many religious threads that my poor searching skills render it impossible to resurrect the old thread.

Joe, since the NFL season is now over, would you consider reading this? It is only 91 pages and quite the quick read. I’d be willing to purchase a copy for you and have it shipped to you on the condition that you’d be willing to read and review it in this thread.

You have often mentioned purchasing Lee Strobel’s A Case for Christ for those who have questioned Christianity. You may have mentioned this in the ancient thread I scarcely remember. I would be willing to read and review this book if you would prefer an exchange.

Um, Joe? It's a official--you have a stalker.

Why the F are you so concerned with what Joe Bryant does or does not read? :blackdot:

Why the F are you so concerned with what Joe Bryant does or does not read? :blackdot:

Good question. I'm not really concerned. I do feel an obligation, however, to guide people to the truth. I also think it would be fun to read and debate this.

You may be thinking of this thread.

Nobody committed to reading or reviewing anything, but it does sound like it might be both entertaining and educational. So I'm still game.

This can't end well.

Someone will say, "because the Bible says ...."; to which someone will reply, "because Sam Harris says ...".

Eventually, someone will call Momma to settle the dispute, and Momma is gonna get upset.

:blackdot:

Good question. I'm not really concerned. I do feel an obligation, however, to guide people to the truth. I also think it would be fun to read and debate this.
:yawn: at "guide people to the truth".

Why the F are you so concerned with what Joe Bryant does or does not read? :lmao:

:lmao: at "guide people to the truth".
Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. :thumbup:

Hi jux,

Is that the Letters To A Christian Nation or something like that? I believe someone did send it to me but as I was worried about, it's sitting amongst a giant stack of books I'm trying to find time to read. :D I'm not really qualified to give it a review but I'll try to find some time to read it. Thanks.

J

I haven't read Sam's book but would like to. I've read The Case for Christ and would be up for giving a somewhat detailed review.

I have read Case for Faith, Case for Christ and Case For a Creator.Synopsis, they are very affirming books for someone who is already a Christian. They are pretty insightful for those that may not be a Christian but are leaning toward that direction. They are pretty easily dismissed for a hard core atheist or a person that is antagonistic toward the idea of faith/religion.I like Lee Strobel and like the books, but they are advertised as having been written by a journalist that was asking hardhitting questions that changed the journalist from a non-believer to a believer. However, when you read the book it comes off as having been written by a Christian for Christians. I am not sure how well recieved it would be by someone who was not a Christian already.

I haven't read Sam's book but would like to. I've read The Case for Christ and would be up for giving a somewhat detailed review.

I have read Case for Faith, Case for Christ and Case For a Creator.Synopsis, they are very affirming books for someone who is already a Christian. They are pretty insightful for those that may not be a Christian but are leaning toward that direction. They are pretty easily dismissed for a hard core atheist or a person that is antagonistic toward the idea of faith/religion.I like Lee Strobel and like the books, but they are advertised as having been written by a journalist that was asking hardhitting questions that changed the journalist from a non-believer to a believer. However, when you read the book it comes off as having been written by a Christian for Christians. I am not sure how well recieved it would be by someone who was not a Christian already.
I concur. The supposed "hard hitting" questions weren't that hard hitting IMO. They are common questions the people he interviewed already had the popular answers for. What struck me is fishy is how easily Strobel simply accepted the answer given. There are a number of people I'd like to witness cross-examining the people Strobel interviewed. I found myself frustrated at how easily Strobel seemed convinced with somewhat weak explanations. I think they are affirming books for the believer, but not taken seriously by the skeptic. To be fair, there are also atheist authored books that are equally not taken seriously by either side of the theological issue.

Hi jux,

Is that the Letters To A Christian Nation or something like that? I believe someone did send it to me but as I was worried about, it's sitting amongst a giant stack of books I'm trying to find time to read. :shock: I'm not really qualified to give it a review but I'll try to find some time to read it. Thanks.

J

Sam Harris has written two books, The End of Faith and Letter to a Christian Nation. They're both good, but if you are going to read one make it Letter to a Christian Nation because it is shorter and more to the point. It is a very quick read.

He covers a lot of the same points in the book as he does in his debate with Andrew Sullivan. So reading that debate is a decent substitute for reading the book if that's more convenient.

The book is not going to convert anyone from Christianity to atheism, as Harris well knows. But it is written well, and I suspect may be an enjoyable read even for Christians (much like C.S. Lewis may be enjoyable even for atheists).

Why the F are you so concerned with what Joe Bryant does or does not read? :confused:

:lmao: at "guide people to the truth".
Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. :lmao:
:hifive:

BTW, I just ordered The Case for Christ. No promises on when I'll get around to reading it.

I ordered from barnesandnoble.com and my package just arrived. I opened it and two copies of the book were inside. There's tag saying: "Evangelism Special! Read one yourself, give one to a seeking friend."

So, like, anyone want a book?

BTW, I just ordered The Case for Christ. No promises on when I'll get around to reading it.

I ordered from barnesandnoble.com and my package just arrived. I opened it and two copies of the book were inside. There's tag saying: "Evangelism Special! Read one yourself, give one to a seeking friend."
Seriously, but does that creep anyone else out?

So, like, anyone want a book?

I'm officially done with Barnes and Noble.

I've read the Case for Christ.The case is not made out due to the fact that Lee S. continuously lets the subject off his questions of the hook, never asking the obvious follow up questions to woefully inadquate answers that are based on pure conjecture and flawed reasoning.

I would recommend Evidence That Demands a Verict by Josh McDowell over the Strobel books. But even still, as someone already posted, these books are more affirming to a beliver than convincing to a non believer.
Excellent book! Sadly, and I kid you not, my dog ate part of it so I had to throw it out.

I am waiting for someone to make an offer to send it to someone who will read it so I don't have to spend the $25.

Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. ;)

Really? Atheists tell you that you and your family are going to burn in hell for not believing in their beliefs?
Exactly.

Seriously, but does that creep anyone else out?
:scared::scared:

Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. :thumbdown:

Really? Atheists tell you that you and your family are going to burn in hell for not believing in their beliefs?
No, just that there is no heaven and Christians are idiots for having been duped by the greatest, longest lasting con in history. Not as condemning, but equally as annoying.

Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. :lmao:

No, just that there is no heaven and Christians are idiots for having been duped by the greatest, longest lasting con in history. Not as condemning, but equally as annoying.
I keep seeing this arguement being made.Wake me up when atheists are going door to door trying to convert people to atheism.Until then, take stock in reality. Sure, some atheists are vocal about their beliefs. Zero atheists are currently on missions in the 3rd world attempting to bring more recruits to their god squad. And atheists don't dangle post-mortem rewards either, basically "its all over when you die" is not the type of thinking that just sells itself.People who are in your face with their beliefs are inheritly annoying, regardless of whatever they do or do not believe. Thats just a fact that pertains to people. However, atheists are not even close to doing this as much as other religions are. To argue otherwise is to simply ignore reality.

Evangelical atheists are every bit as bad as religious ones. :shrug:

I keep seeing this arguement being made.Wake me up when atheists are going door to door trying to convert people to atheism.Until then, take stock in reality. Sure, some atheists are vocal about their beliefs. Zero atheists are currently on missions in the 3rd world attempting to bring more recruits to their god squad. And atheists don't dangle post-mortem rewards either, basically "its all over when you die" is not the type of thinking that just sells itself.People who are in your face with their beliefs are inheritly annoying, regardless of whatever they do or do not believe. Thats just a fact that pertains to people. However, atheists are not even close to doing this as much as other religions are. To argue otherwise is to simply ignore reality.
This ‘Atheist Crusade’ or ‘Evangelical Atheist’ fear mongering is ridiculous. At worst, atheists may mock or disrespect a religion. At best, they’ll cause you to analyze and have a better understanding of your faith. And I’ll bet most atheists are ok with personal religion. It’s the organized religions and all the history associated with it that they may have issues with.

Archived