What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone else on here have Gout? (1 Viewer)

Waggle

Footballguy
I've had it for about 14 years and had a flare up on Friday. Not the "can't even support the weight of a sheet" attack, but still painful. I've been taking Colchicine for a couple of years, but didn't take any last week and now I'm paying for it.

My dad suffers from gout. It really flared up in December and lasted nearly a month. He's a tough old man but the pain really got to him to the point I worried he'd do something drastic and permanent to end it.

A 40-something co-worker of mine has it, too. He's home in bed today because he can't walk.

Gout's a #####.

Gout is a whore. I had a bout with it 10 years ago when I was in my late 20s. I had it off and on for a year or so, then it stopped and I haven't had it since. I have no idea how I got rid of it, thankfully it just went away. It really is debilitating - hard to describe to someone who hasn't had it how much it truly sucks.

Isn't it a vitamin defficiency of some sort?
"Gout is a disease due to an inborn disorder of the uric acid metabolism. In this condition monosodium urate crystals are deposited on the articular cartilage of joints and in the particular tissue like tendons. This provokes an inflammatory reaction of these tissues. These deposits often increase in size and burst through the skin to form sinuses discharging a chalky white material.Normally, the human bloodstream only carries small amounts of uric acid. However, if the blood has an elevated concentration of uric acid, uric acid crystals are deposited in the cartilage and tissue surrounding joints. Elevated blood levels of uric acid can also result in uric kidney stones."You get it from eating rich foods, i.e., shell fish, chocolate, and worst of all, alcohol. Wine is very high in uric acid. That's why I never touch the stuff.

My dad gets it in his knee and wrist.

When his wrist gets inflamed dude looks like he has a fake hand.

I think I have this, waiting on blood work to confirm. Thought I broke my toe when I tripped on one of my kids toys....but apparently it's gout.

I swear on my balls this WILL CURE YOU IN 2 DAYS.

Go out, and try to find organic (if possible) cherry concentrate .... it's effing expensive... I live in cherry country and it was about $30 for a 750ml bottle. (look in your health food stores.. it's a bottle.. not frozen)

I promise you, 100% if you take this 2-3 times a day (about a tablespoon a pop) w some water, your gout will be gone in 2-3 days max... mine felt better in about a day, gone in 2.

nothing has ever worked for me until I tried this

gout is the suck. worst pain i have ever experienced. i know way too much about it. got any questions about it, i'll probably be able to answer them.

If anyone is serious about trying what I posted, PM me and Ill send you the exact brand etc of the stuff I got. No shtick.. this is legit...

cant joke around about gout pain

I suffered frequent attacks for a few years when I was in my early 30s. I was going out to restaurants a lot and drinking quite a bit.

Haven't had an attack since I started eating at home more and was able to stop taking indomethicin altogether.

I found a simple remedy if you're suffering. 800mg ibuprophen every six hours and the pain will go away quick.

Believe it or not Advil worked better for me than Allopurinol, Colchisine or steroid injections. Be sure not to take the advil on an empty stomach. You will bleed.

Excess animal protein is a big contributor to gout. I've cut out most of the meat from my diet, and the gout flare-up frequency has decreased dramatically. Hasn't been easy though, I love bacon and ribs.

why do so many people call this "the" gout? You don't say "I got the cancer!" or "I can't shake this bout of the Herpes!"

why do so many people call this "the" gout? You don't say "I got the cancer!" or "I can't shake this bout of the Herpes!"
Because it's as bad as The Plague. You don't hear people saying: "I've got plague". But then, you don't hear a lot of people saying: "I've got the plague". Maybe two or three, but not a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
cherry. #######. concentrate.

forget pills... drink this #### regularly and it'll never come back. what's 20-30$ a bottle that lasts you months, is hella good for you, and keeps the gout away?

I hear an excess of deli meats and beer will lead to gout if you are pre-disposed.

I'm probably hosed in a few years :sadbanana:

I had gout issues many years ago.

Step 1: go to the Doc and get a shot that alleviates 90% of the pain within a few hours.

There is no step 2. ... Actually Allopurinol helped ($5 per Rx).

Allegedly red meat and alcohol are significant factors behind the root causes of gout, but my dumb money is on wheat flour.

cherry. #######. concentrate.

forget pills... drink this #### regularly and it'll never come back. what's 20-30$ a bottle that lasts you months, is hella good for you, and keeps the gout away?
Do this. Also you can add in celery seed capsules along with cherry concentrate. Sold so much of both while working retail and always got great feed back from customers.

Cherry stuff doesn't work

Gout is the Devil

GB meds
Have you tried it? Worked for both me and my pops, both within 2 days. And since I started drinking it daily, has never returned
Of courseYou probably have a mild case

Were you ever tested and diagnosed?

Ever have that #### flare up in random joints like your ankle or wrist? ####### nightmare.

Gout is the Devil

GB meds
Have you tried it?Worked for both me and my pops, both within 2 days. And since I started drinking it daily, has never returned

Ever have that #### flare up in random joints like your ankle or wrist? ####### nightmare.
mine would always start in my big toe and shoot up my leg like a car had run over it with molten lava tires... most excruciating pain ive ever been in

the next time it came back I started the cherry juice immediately and it never progressed and went away after 2-3 days... and since we started using it daily, it has never returned for me or my dad, (and he would get it once a year without fail)

Gout is the Devil

GB meds
Have you tried it?Worked for both me and my pops, both within 2 days. And since I started drinking it daily, has never returned

a friend of mine had that, so he'd fill me in a little -- have you changed your diet at all, or is that just not on the table?

seems like it's fairly diet dependent, but I doubt I could change mine much, and I know my buddy wasn't about to give up drinking

Gout is the Devil

GB meds

a friend of mine had that, so he'd fill me in a little -- have you changed your diet at all, or is that just not on the table?

seems like it's fairly diet dependent, but I doubt I could change mine much, and I know my buddy wasn't about to give up drinking
My diet is already pretty healthy. Not giving up beer but I'm on Allopurinol daily now and my levels are good. Had a really bad year though.

I have it chronically. After years of taking colchicine I changed doctors. The new doc said colchicine was basically like taking poison. (Horrible stomach issues and diahhrea)

I switched to allopurinol. It was better but still didn't work great.

Then Uloric came around. It helped. I also have taken cherry concentrate as a preventative step.

I finally made a life-changing decision on Oct. 26 last year and gave up beef, pork, and poultry. I did it to be heart healthy, but the side benefit is that Iva also been gout free since.

I still have residual joint damage from having gout for so long, but no more mess and no more pain.

First time I had gout it was in my big toe. I was in the emergency room and contemplated having my foot amputated it hurt so bad.

One other food always set me off before was tomatoes. If/when you get attacks you should make a note of what you ate the day before.

Make sure to drink more water and have lots of sex. Both of these help. Trust me or do the research yourself! :)

Prednisone was the only thing that worked quickly for me. 10mg at 1st sign of pain then 20mg 2X a day until it's gone. Usually gone within 24 hours.

Good luck everyone!

I just took a new job yesterday in the exciting world of gout yesterday. I do know more about gout than most doctors, but don't want to inflect my biases in any discussions here. PM if you guys ever need anything.

I have it chronically. After years of taking colchicine I changed doctors. The new doc said colchicine was basically like taking poison. (Horrible stomach issues and diahhrea)

Then Uloric came around. It helped. I also have taken cherry concentrate as a preventative step.

I finally made a life-changing decision on Oct. 26 last year and gave up beef, pork, and poultry. I did it to be heart healthy, but the side benefit is that Iva also been gout free since.

I still have residual joint damage from having gout for so long, but no more mess and no more pain.

First time I had gout it was in my big toe. I was in the emergency room and contemplated having my foot amputated it hurt so bad.

One other food always set me off before was tomatoes. If/when you get attacks you should make a note of what you ate the day before.

Make sure to drink more water and have kits if sex. Both of these help. Trust me or do the research yourself! :)

Prednisone was the only thing that worked quickly for me. 10mg at 1st sign of pain then 20mg 2X a day until it's gone. Usually gone within 24 hours.

Good luck everyone!
What means this?

I was gonna make a joke about the Beastie Boys lyrics "you've got gall, you've got gout".

I was gonna make a joke about just having some delicious sauerkraut (with an awesome brat).

But after reading stuff, this sounds like it sucks. Good luck with you people.

Make sure to drink more water and have kits if sex. Both of these help. Trust me or do the research yourself! :)

Good luck everyone!
My flare-ups take about 2 days to start becoming evident. Everyone is probably different. One cheeseburger was all it took for the last flare-up.

I have it chronically. After years of taking

colchicine I changed doctors. The new doc said colchicine was basically like taking poison. (Horrible stomach issues and diahhrea)

Then Uloric came around. It helped. I also have

taken cherry concentrate as a preventative step.

I finally made a life-changing decision on Oct. 26 last year and gave up beef, pork, and poultry. I

did it to be heart healthy, but the side benefit is that Iva also been gout free since.

I still have residual joint damage from having

gout for so long, but no more mess and no more pain.

First time I had gout it was in my big toe. I was

in the emergency room and contemplated having my foot amputated it hurt so bad.

One other food always set me off before was

tomatoes. If/when you get attacks you should make a note of what you ate the day before.

Make sure to drink more water and have

Lotsif sex. Both of these help. Trust me or do the research yourself! :)

Good luck everyone!
What means this?
Should say "lots"

Gout is the Devil

GB meds

My diet is already pretty healthy. Not giving up beer but I'm on Allopurinol daily now and my levels are good. Had a really bad year though.
Allopurinal is the drug to take. Changes the excessive uric acid chemically into something else, which is harmless. You can always up the dosage if you still get occasional attack. Years ago, I started with 100 milligrams and eventually went to 300 milligrams and had no problems after that.

I have had a few bouts with it but haven't gone on meds. I gave up iced tea and try to watch my diet. I still drink massive amounts of beer. It's been a year since the last flare up. I drink a lot of water too. The worst bout was in my big toe and it felt like my toe was being squeezed by a vice while a blow torch was aimed at my toe. I couldn't put a shoe on that foot.

It's amazing how many people deal with this and the myth that it affects fat people or old people. I work with a guy in his 30s and he takes meds. He is a Big 12 basketball ref and in amazing shape. Hopefully I won't have to take meds for it.

I have had a few bouts with it but haven't gone on meds. I gave up iced tea and try to watch my diet. I still drink massive amounts of beer. It's been a year since the last flare up. I drink a lot of water too. The worst bout was in my big toe and it felt like my toe was being squeezed by a vice while a blow torch was aimed at my toe. I couldn't put a shoe on that foot.

It's amazing how many people deal with this and the myth that it affects fat people or old people. I work with a guy in his 30s and he takes meds. He is a Big 12 basketball ref and in amazing shape. Hopefully I won't have to take meds for it.
Good description. Until you've had the gout you don't know what pain is.I have a pair of thesehttp://www.oldfriendfootwear.com/mens-step-in slippers. They are super ugly but you can completely open them up and adjust them to fit your foot in, so no pain.

About 6 years ago I went to Maine with some pals and ate nothing but shellfish and drank beer for a week. At day 7 I woke up with a toe that I would have cut off if I could.

Thankfully I've never had another flat out attack again, but I never have shellfish or steak close together.

gout sux0rs. i've done 2 years of research and will share the basics of what i know.

gout is causes by a build up of uric acid in your system. as it builds up, the tiny crystals of uric acid start to stick together and crystallize into hard, solid little structures. this occurs in pockets in your body where it can accumulate, mostly your joints. it can occur anywhere in your body. it is most common in the big toe. it occurs mostly in extremities where the blood flow is less and therefore the body is colder, allowing the crystallization to occur easier. gout is related to kidney stones, the build up of uric acid that forms a kidney stone is a similar process.

when you have a flare up, it is these solid little mountains of crystals breaking apart and entering your blood stream. think millions of tiny shards of glass being dumped into your joint/blood stream. it is excruciatingly painful!

now to the root cause: the uric acid build up is a by product of the bodies inability to process a specific protein, purine. purine is literally in every thing we eat/drink. different foods have higher levels of purine than others. organ meat, booze, especially beer, some shell fish, little fish like sardines are some foods high in purine. here is a list http://www.acumedico.com/purine.htm but everyone is different and everyone is affected differently. i have a friend that can not eat asparagus, instant attack.

here are some natural treatments/preventative steps that are working for me. i avoid eating large amount of foods that are high in purine, or avoid them completely. i drink more water than you think anyone should. stay hydrated!! this is really important. i eat cherries and/or cherry by products. i drink a cherry concentrate, http://www.rwknudsenfamily.com/products/concentrates/black-cherry and take a cherry pill http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/enzymatic-therapy-tart-cherry-ultra-90-veggie-caps/et-1008?sourceType=sc&source=FG&adGroup=40-60&keyword=ET-1008&cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Product+Listing+Ads-_-40-60-_-ET-1008&gclid=CNTKrra7sLsCFUGTfgodsUMA4w&gclsrc=aw.ds#.UqyzkIWVc7A i also do my best to avoid yeast. this is very difficult to do entirely, because it's in ALOT of foods. but if you look at the purine chart, it's really high up there. and it's in booze....... if it becomes part of your thinking, it's easy. not too much bread, corn instead of flour tortillas, non ML chardonnays ;)

there is another school of thought that apple cider vinegar with the "mother" is a viable preventative as well. i haven't tried that.

i went off the deep end when i was having really bad, frequent attacks and went more or less vegan for 8 months. this worked. all attacks stopped. it wasn't a life style that i wanted to lead however and i slowly introduced "normal" foods back into my diet.

now for the AMA solutions. there are 3 daily medicines that are on the market. allopurinol has been around the longest. uloric and probenecid. all do the same thing more or less. they help your body to not produce/inhibit the uric acid. i have tried allopurinol, it was ineffective for me. i am currently taking uloric at about 15-20mg a day. i get the 80mg and break them apart as i found i didn't need a 30mg dose, which is their smallest pill. when i booze it up or have a few days of gorging, i'll up the dose. i have not tried probenicid.

colcrys or colchicine is a very specific anti inflamatory for gout and FMF. imho, it should not be taken daily. it is very gnarly on the body. when used as prescribed for an attack, 2 pills at first, followed by 1 more an hour later, you are guaranteed to piss out your ###. good times. i use it only when i get an attack. it stops the attack from getting worse. it doesn't make it go away, but it does help it go away faster. the only time to take it daily is when/if you start to take a daily preventative as they cause any crystals to shake loose in the initial stages of taking the medicine.

if you want to take an anti inflammatory, just do any over the counter nsaid.

a long post, but i hope that helps someone. gout is ####### horrible.

after emailing a fellow board member bout the Cherry Concentrate remedy, I realized after he emailed me back, that my the Cherry farm in my town has a website and ships their product (I am amazed by this)

www.cherrylane.net if you want to check it out. I believe he said he paid 21$

after emailing a fellow board member bout the Cherry Concentrate remedy, I realized after he emailed me back, that my the Cherry farm in my town has a website and ships their product (I am amazed by this)

www.cherrylane.net if you want to check it out. I believe he said he paid 21$
i'll give em a try. and now i know where your lawn is..... :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread