What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Now that HBO Now has all 86 episodes uploaded, has anybody been doing a rewatch? This is my first rewatch since the original absolutely loving it, amazing how well it holds up.

You pick up so many more layers and references you might have missed the first time. The song choices are brilliant. The juxtaposition of the stress of work to the stress at home. From dark, violent scenes to the Sopranos McMansion, contrasting the criminal activity that affords the high lifestyle. Also, it’s gets even funnier with the rewatch.

What...now there’s no ####### ziti?

Didn’t he almost drown in three inches of water

Anyway, four dollars a pound

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Interior Decorator...is house looked like ####

Stupida ####### game

All we did was study hard

What was it barkin’

My kitchens  all wiped off for the night

Mother ####in’ GD ORANGE PEEL BEEF

Jason...men are talking here

It’s like Sun Tazoo says
I've been going through it for the first time ever, as we've never had HBO and only recently discovered it on  Amazon.  I binged the first 4 seasons, but stopped early in 5 and started on  other shows, like Boardwalk Empire. I've seen clips of it over the years on youtube, so I thought I had an idea of what was going on in general. Still glad I've been able to watch entire episodes instead. I think the Pine Barrens may be my favorite episode so far; Buscemi has a future as a director if he wants.

I've been going through it for the first time ever, as we've never had HBO and only recently discovered it on  Amazon.  I binged the first 4 seasons, but stopped early in 5 and started on  other shows, like Boardwalk Empire. I've seen clips of it over the years on youtube, so I thought I had an idea of what was going on in general. Still glad I've been able to watch entire episodes instead. I think the Pine Barrens may be my favorite episode so far; Buscemi has a future as a director if he wants.
Season 1 was great. 2 and 3 were good, but some of episodes seemed more about developing character depth than moving along the story arc. Still some great episodes though. Season 4 is amazing with the rise and demise of Pie-O-My and Ralph Ceferetto.

Season 5 is coming on strong. Class of 2004 comes out of the can - Feech LaMonna, Phil Leotardo, Tony Blundetto. Lorraine Calluzzo and Jimmy Peeps get whacked as Little Carmine & Johnny Sac go to war over leadership of the Lupertazzi family. Tony B tries to go clean but gets sucked back in. Great stuff

Season 1 was great. 2 and 3 were good, but some of episodes seemed more about developing character depth than moving along the story arc. Still some great episodes though. Season 4 is amazing with the rise and demise of Pie-O-My and Ralph Ceferetto.

Season 5 is coming on strong. Class of 2004 comes out of the can - Feech LaMonna, Phil Leotardo, Tony Blundetto. Lorraine Calluzzo and Jimmy Peeps get whacked as Little Carmine & Johnny Sac go to war over leadership of the Lupertazzi family. Tony B tries to go clean but gets sucked back in. Great stuff
Hmmm, while there is a lot of greatness in Season 4, I think there was a slight dip in quality.  Some of the least best episodes the show had were in Season 4, IMO, like Christopher and Calling All Cars.  Seasons 1-3 are nearly flawless (the two episodes before Pine Barrens are the only slightly average ones).  Season 5 bounced back and was incredible for 12 of the 13 seasons (In Camelot being a major stinker).

I misspoke earlier.  It's season 6 where I got bogged down. I remember what you describe.  Jimmy Peeps' funeral made me laugh more than I should have. I had some sympathy for Tony B at first, but he almost seemed to be begging for his civilian life to fail toward the end.  As for Ralph, he just pissed me off every time he was on screen. Little Carmine pissed me off too, but for different reasons.  He should have stayed out of it after his dad died.

Hmmm, while there is a lot of greatness in Season 4, I think there was a slight dip in quality.  Some of the least best episodes the show had were in Season 4, IMO, like Christopher and Calling All Cars.  Seasons 1-3 are nearly flawless (the two episodes before Pine Barrens are the only slightly average ones).  Season 5 bounced back and was incredible for 12 of the 13 seasons (In Camelot being a major stinker).
Art is always subjective, no surprise opinions vary. Pine Barrens is great slapstick comedy. Whitecaps is a tour de force, best episode of the first 4 seasons IMO.

I love that we’re discussing episodes from 2002. Such a great groundbreaking series.

:clap:

Art is always subjective, no surprise opinions vary. Pine Barrens is great slapstick comedy. Whitecaps is a tour de force, best episode of the first 4 seasons IMO.

I love that we’re discussing episodes from 2002. Such a great groundbreaking series.

:clap:
After many repeat views, I tend to think of The Sopranos as a sitcom of sorts.  So many LOL moments and part of the reason I keep coming back.   Doesn't get much better than this:

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator!

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like #####.

I misspoke earlier.  It's season 6 where I got bogged down. I remember what you describe.  Jimmy Peeps' funeral made me laugh more than I should have. I had some sympathy for Tony B at first, but he almost seemed to be begging for his civilian life to fail toward the end.  As for Ralph, he just pissed me off every time he was on screen. Little Carmine pissed me off too, but for different reasons.  He should have stayed out of it after his dad died.
That discussion between Tony and Sil about the Joey's gravestone still cracks me up.  

Two hardest scenes to watch in the whole series were Melfi’s rape (Employee of the Month) and Ralph killing Tracee (University) -  I had to look away. Both are in Season 3.

I hated Ralph during the original airing, he was the most loathsome character of the entire series. But I appreciated what a great actor Joey Pants is more on the rewatch. It’s gotta be fun as an actor to get teed up with punch lines all the time like ChrisToeFah or Paulie Walnuts. Playing someone as vile as Ceferetto has to be a challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, that was the funeral for the idiot who Vito whacked in broad daylight and then took 56 minutes to get in the car.
With the .32 caliber ladies gun!

How does a guy that big sneak up behind Jackie Jr? Because he was light in the loafers

They couldn’t even make that series today. Unidentified Black Males

86 episodes. There should have been more. 

If Chase and the HBO execs had delayed production for just a few months so Gandolfini could do Catch Me If You Can, I think he might have committed to another season or so. 

Total lack of foresight on Chase's thinking. 

With the .32 caliber ladies gun!

How does a guy that big sneak up behind Jackie Jr? Because he was light in the loafers

They couldn’t even make that series today. Unidentified Black Males
Vito was stealth. :lol:

Jackie Jr?
Yep.

86 episodes. There should have been more. 

If Chase and the HBO execs had delayed production for just a few months so Gandolfini could do Catch Me If You Can, I think he might have committed to another season or so. 

Total lack of foresight on Chase's thinking. 
Nah, the best shows are the ones that don't go on too long.  Considering how slow 6a was, dragging it out any more would not have been that great.

Wasn't paying attention to how close I was to finishing the last season, finished binging last night and today. Of all the death scenes in the series, I think Phil Leotardo's was the most over he top.

Wasn't paying attention to how close I was to finishing the last season, finished binging last night and today. Of all the death scenes in the series, I think Phil Leotardo's was the most over he top.
The death moment was fine and very mafia-like - boom, you're dead before you even know it's happening - but the following moment, with the vehicle rolling over his head, did seem a bit over the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
The death moment was fine and very mafia-like - boom, you're dead before you even know it's happening - but the following moment, with the vehicle rolling over his head, did seem a bit over the top.
That's what I was referring to, but more than that bystanders reactions, while arguably apropos to what they just witnessed, still seemed deliberately campy.

Furio was a great heavy, but there wasn't much depth to his character.  Well, they tried adding some to his character in Season 4, but that was a pretty big swing and a miss, if you ask me.  I didn't miss him at all when he was written out of the show.

Furio was a great heavy, but there wasn't much depth to his character.  Well, they tried adding some to his character in Season 4, but that was a pretty big swing and a miss, if you ask me.  I didn't miss him at all when he was written out of the show.
Yeah, got really tired of the Furio-Carmela angle.  Although Furio back in Napoli was cool.

We could have done without “Carmelo is infatuated with another unattainable man” angle. Furio is the opposite for Father Phil in every way but there was no way it was going anywhere. But then again, even before she was with Lit boy, you could say she had already cheated twice (affairs of the heart.)

Furio as a two dimensional character was fine though. Dude was ball of havoc and his pulse never went above 60.  

Saw an interview clip of him last week (it was 54th birthday or something), and I was shocked. Whoa - you mean Furio’s accent wasn’t real?

:lmao:

No way.  He could have been so much more had they had the courage to challenge Tony in the writing. The reality is Tony was never really challenged. 

We could have done without “Carmelo is infatuated with another unattainable man” angle. Furio is the opposite for Father Phil in every way but there was no way it was going anywhere. But then again, even before she was with Lit boy, you could say she had already cheated twice (affairs of the heart.)

Furio as a two dimensional character was fine though. Dude was ball of havoc and his pulse never went above 60.  

Saw an interview clip of him last week (it was 54th birthday or something), and I was shocked. Whoa - you mean Furio’s accent wasn’t real?

:lmao:
Yeah, I watched a long form interview with him.  Really interesting guy.  Expected a meathead from Italy and got some depth and a heavy NY/NJ accent.  Didn't realize he was also a successful painter before the show:

https://www.art-antiques-design.com/art/1245-paintings-by-federico-castelluccio-2

These are from an email David Chase sent to Michael Imperioli, read on today’s episode of the “Talking Sopranos” podcast.

The Sopranos in the Time of Corona:

Paulie Walnuts

Yeah people call me a germaphobe. Big laugh. Now all I got to say is, see mother####ers and I knew some ####### thing like this was gonna happen. I saw the Holy Mother at Bada Bing.

Tony Soprano 

Sports betting? ####### gone with the wind, along with professional sports. Me and my friends are dying over here. Ya know the president might have a point - let’s get business an manufacturing going again. By Easter...May Day... ...whatever the ####.

Meadow Soprano

I should have gone to medical school. I feel so bad about my decision.

Carmela Soprano

I am so glad my daughter didn’t go to medical school. Imagine where she’d be right now.

Christopher Moltisanti

I been to Hollywood. Out there they should call it the Swine Flu.

Adriana La Cerva

I’d volunteer or something. I feel so bad. I been crying a lot. But I got an underlying condition. Irritable Bowel Syndrome, right? I can’t reach my doctor to find out if that would exclude me passing out masks or something.

Dr Jennifer Melfi 

I’m on the second line ova the hospital. When and if those brave docs burn out, I’m up next.

AJ Soprano

At one time I wanted to work for Trump. You believe it? #### me, dude.

Carmela

We’re not doing well with the quarantine at our house. It’s making me face the music that this is a dysfunctional family. But it’s keeping my husband in, which is good.

Tony

Bing! ####### shut down MY INCOME STREAM WAS ALREADY COMPROMISED. We can keep the pork store open though, they say. Essential critical infrastructure. Pork.

Silvio Dante 

We told the girls uh we keep them all on furlough. Lap dancers, first to go.

Corridor “Junior” Soprano 

What’s everybody upset about?

Johnny Sac

It used to be part of our thing, going to the mattresses. But this?

Bobby Baccala

That last national emergency I took all this #### cause I got my predictions about it wrong. I said Quasimodo T said Nostradamus. My wife bought me one of those Nostradamus books. And I looked it - didn’t say anything about this. Funny thing though. My son Robert? He went to Notre Dame.

Junior

I saw on Fox this jerk off the Lieutenant Governor of Texas said he didn’t mind dying to help the economy because he’s over 70 and got grandchildren or some ####.. Maybe we can help him out with that?

Phil Leotardo

Truckload of hand sanitizer. I’m cleaning up.

Tony

In my fathers day you got polio tuberculosis whatever the #### you dealt with it. Whatever happened to Gary Cooper?

Livia Soprano

You know what um gonna say 

But I honestly do like a lot of what Michael says about the episodes and background and stuff.  Schirripa is a little annoying because he doesn’t seem that deep and is always rushing along through the ep when Michael is pontificating.  He might be getting a little better at figuring out the pacing and also maybe was told that he should move it along so it doesn’t get too long.  But I think that I would be happy to just let Michael go on some of these thoughts even if it meant a much longer podcast episode 

But I honestly do like a lot of what Michael says about the episodes and background and stuff.  Schirripa is a little annoying because he doesn’t seem that deep and is always rushing along through the ep when Michael is pontificating.  He might be getting a little better at figuring out the pacing and also maybe was told that he should move it along so it doesn’t get too long.  But I think that I would be happy to just let Michael go on some of these thoughts even if it meant a much longer podcast episode 
It’s a funny dynamic for sure. But different strokes, some people love hearing about the layers of symbolism & others just wanna reminisce about the zingers. They’ve got some ying yang potential as they get more comfortable with the format.

Gotta be hard doing it remote, too - not sure if they have a Zoom going but they don’t always seem in sync. But I probably like the different perspectives over say a couple guys who both process things the same way. 

In the rewatches, the actor I have come to appreciate is Vincent Curatola. There was a lot of layers to Johnny Sack, and Curatola played it pitch perfect. Gandolfini really liked him.

The Ralphie joke about Ginny becoming a major season-long plot point seems preposterous on the surface, but Curatola's acting fueled it and made it legitimate. His umbrage was genuine.

As others have mentioned, the unintentional humor was a big part of the show. When Johnny Sack goes to Carmine Sr. and asks to sanction a hit on Ralphie for the joke, Carmine's reactions are off the charts funny. 

Schirripa is a little annoying because he doesn’t seem that deep
The only in-depth interview I have ever seen with the guy was a long time ago on The Best Damn Sports Show Period. He was on for the whole show.

He came off as dumb as a box of rocks. Inarticulate and boastful. He made Tom Arnold seem like Tom Brokaw.

Users who are viewing this thread