What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (3 Viewers)

Really good episode.

Even though I do not like A.J., that was scary, watching him fight for his life in the pool.

It was also the first episode of this season (6B) where no one died.

Did anyone slow down the preview of next week to get a glimpse of the scenes? I tried and could not come up with much.
Yeah. Couldn't see much, except for it looks like when Paulie stands up real quick it is to Tony.
I went back and looked a couple of times. Looked more like Bobby than Tony to me.
Very tough to tell, but based on the way his arms fall and the size of his ###, it looks like Bobby to me.

the previews for next week also flashed Janice briefly. any speculation on her storyline? especially if it was Bobby standing up quickly to Tony?

the previews for next week also flashed Janice briefly. any speculation on her storyline? especially if it was Bobby standing up quickly to Tony?
We can only hope that she is one of the people that is killed before the series ends. Is it too much to ask that she dies a slow and painful death? :shrug:I wouldn't be surprised to see Bobby get bumped off in the next episode. The episodes is called The Blue Comet, which could be a train reference, and we all know how much Bobby loves trains, so.....

Tony hires her at the Bing to work off a debt. Bobby gets pissed when Sil requests the DJ to play "Psycho Killer" during one of her jaunts on stage. The episode ends with her enjoying fresh coffee at Dunkin' Donuts made with yeoman like precision by DD's newest employee AJ Soprano.

Maybe Phil does something so out of line that he gets taken out by someone else in the NY organization, or another family in NY, if there is one.

Or, taken out by Tony and crew, and it's excused. Carmine could take over by default.

Maybe full scale mob war breaks out, with people dying left and right. But that probably wouldn't be subtle enough for Chase.

If something happens to AJ, Tony will take out Phil, or die trying.

"Food isn't the answer to all of life's problems.""Neither is acting like a whiny little b***h." :confused:
:2cents: I'm thinking of stripping out the AJ scenes from this episode, the crying, the sulking, the depression, then the lap dance and frat party, and calling it "AJ's Rebound" and making it required viewing for all the Woz's and Hamster's out there who don't know how to sack up when a chick breaks up with them. Mope for a couple of days and then straight to the strip club and quality times boozing with your guys.
..and now we see the result when you quit hanging out with your buds, stop getting over the past, and start whining and pining for some girl who's not worth it. An important life lesson for the kids out there.

Best lines: "Or, he could just be a f'ing idiot. Historically, that's the case." And, after the "How to Clean Almost Anything", we got "Get a mop."

Tony's starting to talk about the afterlife, something beyond this life, that's not a good sign.

Great episode. So much happening to Tony now, with his world spiralling out of control the first few episodes, his closest human connections are crumbling (Christopher dead, AJ in the psych ward, relationship with Bobby strained, Paulie can't shut up, his crew sucks, the old guys just want their money and don't want problems, and Melfi no longer offering much support nor possibly believing she can anymore), the direction he's going in certainly isn't promising.

The specter of the Middle East, all this conflict and retribution and revenge for stuff going so far back that no one remembers who started it anymore, everything is just payback for the last thing, is hanging darkly as a metaphor for the Family problems. Tony beats up Coco for harassing Meadow, which was revenge for Silvo pulling their jobs, which was revenge for Phil not negotiating, and so on... all that remains to be seen is who the Italian version of the two Arabs from the Bing turn out to be.

GREAT EPISODE!

One thing no one has mentioned yet was the visit by Agent Harris.

With everything starting to boil up, it will be interesting to see where this storyline goes. Chase loves misdirection, and the fact that he only dedicated about 25 seconds to the terrorist angle makes me think something decent could come out of it. Who knows, though.

I don't want to wait two weeks.

The latest in the "Things I Didn't Really Need to Know" category:

Phil...

...tissue
He's lying about that.
Exactly. What he really meant was "When I did 20 years, I wanted to bang a woman... but I compromised. I banged every guy in the joint instead." Hey, you saw him come out of the closet when Vito was killed... :hot:
Not to mention telling the girl at the carnival that he was "sweet enough already." Also wearing the short pants.

GREAT EPISODE!One thing no one has mentioned yet was the visit by Agent Harris.With everything starting to boil up, it will be interesting to see where this storyline goes. Chase loves misdirection, and the fact that he only dedicated about 25 seconds to the terrorist angle makes me think something decent could come out of it. Who knows, though.I don't want to wait two weeks.
Or the fact that Tony's son was visiting a middle east website, and predicting bad things in Iran.

Previews for next week, or in two weeks? I was under the impression both the Sopranos and Entourage are not going to air new episodes next Sunday (on Memorial Day Weekend).

Previews for next week, or in two weeks? I was under the impression both the Sopranos and Entourage are not going to air new episodes next Sunday (on Memorial Day Weekend).
it's in two weeks, but it's pretty obvious he is talking about the previews for the next episode.

The acting always gets the props in a great episode like this but in the Sopranos, the acting has never been lacking. The reason tonight's episode will resonate is because of the normal great writing of this show, but more importantly. the very skillful direction. This was a brilliantly directed episode.
People should expect nothing else from Salami. He is at the top of his game.
:hot: The episodes in which Salami directs have long seemed to be the better ones. If nothing else, certainly the most violent.

It is kindof sad to see Sopranos ending like this. There are way too many storylines to tie up with only a little over 2+ hours left. I think in the grand scheme of things Chase is going to get railed on for hurrying up and finalizing the series. If we get a mob war why not make it last over a season instead of 1 1/2 episodes. Hasnt the war really been building up for 3 seasons now? Kind of a let down.

It is kindof sad to see Sopranos ending like this. There are way too many storylines to tie up with only a little over 2+ hours left. I think in the grand scheme of things Chase is going to get railed on for hurrying up and finalizing the series. If we get a mob war why not make it last over a season instead of 1 1/2 episodes. Hasnt the war really been building up for 3 seasons now? Kind of a let down.
Remember the ending of the Godfather?A whole lot of threads got tied up in just a few minutes. Not saying Chase will do that, but it's possible.

Someone mentioned the terrorism thing possibly coming up to bite Tony in the butt. That's exactly what I was thinking last night, particularly when AJ was surfing Al Jazeera from Tony's house.

From the previews for the next episode, it sounded to me like Silvio told Tony that someone is playing both sides. Then they show Pauly jump up in someones face, at what looked like the Bing. Pauly did try and do business behind Tony's back before, so I wonder if he is doing it now. Then again these previews are always designed to make you think something that didn't happen.

We can only hope that she is one of the people that is killed before the series ends. Is it too much to ask that she dies a slow and painful death? :bag:I wouldn't be surprised to see Bobby get bumped off in the next episode. The episodes is called The Blue Comet, which could be a train reference, and we all know how much Bobby loves trains, so.....
:wishfulthinking:How about Phil gets the war underway by killing Booby, and Janice happens to be with him and gets taken out as well. Now you've killed members of both of Tony's family and unleashing the beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
We can only hope that she is one of the people that is killed before the series ends. Is it too much to ask that she dies a slow and painful death? :bag: I wouldn't be surprised to see Bobby get bumped off in the next episode. The episodes is called The Blue Comet, which could be a train reference, and we all know how much Bobby loves trains, so.....
:wishfulthinking:How about Phil gets the war underway by killing Booby, and Janice happens to be with him and gets taken out as well. Now you've killed members of both of Tony's family and unleashing the beast.
I laughed.

From the previews for the next episode, it sounded to me like Silvio told Tony that someone is playing both sides. Then they show Pauly jump up in someones face, at what looked like the Bing. Pauly did try and do business behind Tony's back before, so I wonder if he is doing it now. Then again these previews are always designed to make you think something that didn't happen.
yeah, ya never know with the previews. the two sides of the fence thing could be something as small as tony wanting to trust carmine on something, and silvio warning tony that carmine plays both sides of the fence. whatever happens, i've enjoyed every season of the sopranos. i'm going to miss the show when it ends.

They are certainly covering a lot of ground. I wish they'd have scaled back things like the whole "Jonny Cakes" bit and also with the goth kid and dedicated more screen time to this stuff.

I wish AJ would have died in the pool though. I was saying "he's not going to die. HE'S GOING TO DIE!. He didn't die." He's pathetic though.

Didn't Lil Carmine say something about standing at the precipice of a crossroads or something? He's funny but that misuse of vocabulary is becoming too obvious. Especially when they had Tony doing it.

No one has mentioned that in the group therapy with his parents AJ blamed Carm for each incident and never singled out Tony.

No matter if Tony is disgraced by AJ, AJ is definitely his father's son

Even though I do not like A.J., that was scary, watching him fight for his life in the pool.
I have a question for those of you who are good swimmers and comfortable in the water, because I am neither. Obviously, it was difficult for AJ to save himself because he was disoriented and desperate. But lets say that someone of sound mind who is perfectly calm did exactly what AJ did. Once the cinder block hit the bottom of the pool, would it be physically possible to dive head-first to the cinder block at the bottom of the pool, then carry it back up to the surface? Or would the block simply too heavy even for a strong person?Also, it was interesting that AJ figured out that he wanted to live when it was almost too late. Same thing happened to Tony. He was depressed and thought he wanted to check out. He didn't realize that wasn't the case until "Boys 2 Men" tried to gun him down, and he found himself fighting to stay alive.

Maybe Phil does something so out of line that he gets taken out by someone else in the NY organization, or another family in NY, if there is one.

Or, taken out by Tony and crew, and it's excused. Carmine could take over by default.

Maybe full scale mob war breaks out, with people dying left and right. But that probably wouldn't be subtle enough for Chase.

Quite a possibility. You saw what Tony did to Coco. Meadow also made the comment to AJ about being the boy. Something along the lines of, "We're Italian. They'll always love you more." If AJ gets a hangnail because of Phil, Tony will go on an all-out rampage.

I have a question for those of you who are good swimmers and comfortable in the water, because I am neither. Obviously, it was difficult for AJ to save himself because he was disoriented and desperate. But lets say that someone of sound mind who is perfectly calm did exactly what AJ did. Once the cinder block hit the bottom of the pool, would it be physically possible to dive head-first to the cinder block at the bottom of the pool, then carry it back up to the surface? Or would the block simply too heavy even for a strong person?
You could lift it and carry it along the bottom to the shallow end. Have you seen the lifeguards in Hawaii that carry large rocks along the ocean floor for training? The pool cover would have been in the way, but he could probably have gotten out if he was calm like you said.

They are certainly covering a lot of ground. I wish they'd have scaled back things like the whole "Jonny Cakes" bit and also with the goth kid and dedicated more screen time to this stuff.

I wish AJ would have died in the pool though. I was saying "he's not going to die. HE'S GOING TO DIE!. He didn't die." He's pathetic though.

Didn't Lil Carmine say something about standing at the precipice of a crossroads or something? He's funny but that misuse of vocabulary is becoming too obvious. Especially when they had Tony doing it.
He also talked about the alteration Tony had with Coco

I have a question for those of you who are good swimmers and comfortable in the water, because I am neither. Obviously, it was difficult for AJ to save himself because he was disoriented and desperate. But lets say that someone of sound mind who is perfectly calm did exactly what AJ did. Once the cinder block hit the bottom of the pool, would it be physically possible to dive head-first to the cinder block at the bottom of the pool, then carry it back up to the surface? Or would the block simply too heavy even for a strong person?Also, it was interesting that AJ figured out that he wanted to live when it was almost too late. Same thing happened to Tony. He was depressed and thought he wanted to check out. He didn't realize that wasn't the case until "Boys 2 Men" tried to gun him down, and he found himself fighting to stay alive.
Assuming the pool had a shallow end, there's no reason he couldn't have picked it up and walked to the other end of the pool. But even on land, what does a cinder block weigh? 25 lbs? The pool had to have some steps or a ladder somewhere....he could have used that. Things weigh a lot less underwater than they do normally. Of course, you factor in panic and fatigue and stupidity -- It's not suprising he didn't try.

I thought it was interesting how Chase showed Phil to be somewhat of a sissy.

He talks very tough. Is seemingly ready to go to war with New Jersey (because he has the numbers on his side).

But then he yells out of a little window like some frightened girl.

The look on Tony's face was almost of amusement.

I thought it was interesting how Chase showed Phil to be somewhat of a sissy.He talks very tough. Is seemingly ready to go to war with New Jersey (because he has the numbers on his side). But then he yells out of a little window like some frightened girl. The look on Tony's face was almost of amusement.
Agreed. I thought that was very whimpy, Uncle Philly :goodposting: . I hope that little stoolie gets whacked too, whats his name, Butchie? The guy who answered the door and watched the curbing.

Assuming the pool had a shallow end, there's no reason he couldn't have picked it up and walked to the other end of the pool. But even on land, what does a cinder block weigh? 25 lbs? The pool had to have some steps or a ladder somewhere....he could have used that. Things weigh a lot less underwater than they do normally. Of course, you factor in panic and fatigue and stupidity -- It's not suprising he didn't try.
The water was also pretty cold which has a tendency to disorient you pretty quickly and alter your judgement. Having said that, if he was calm he should be able to get out of that situation fairly easily.

Quite a possibility. You saw what Tony did to Coco. Meadow also made the comment to AJ about being the boy. Something along the lines of, "We're Italian. They'll always love you more." If AJ gets a hangnail because of Phil, Tony will go on an all-out rampage.
the way that Tony is flying off the handle at this point..what could trigger it is Phil making a comment about AJ and his suicide attempt that fires Tony up

What did Phil mean when he said "cooler heads prevailed" -- he wouldn't have tried to take out Tony and Carmine in his own house would he?

The water was also pretty cold which has a tendency to disorient you pretty quickly and alter your judgement. Having said that, if he was calm he should be able to get out of that situation fairly easily.
I kept thinking that somehow the plastic bag goes back over his head and he dies from suffocation.Couldnt understand why he didn't take the plastic bag off his head completely.

One more thing..

When Tony finds AJ, I had the following thought for a split second

"I bet that when Tony pulls him out he is furious and instead of admitting to the suicide, AJ tenses up and tells him that he was attacked and that somebody tried to kill him..which would then have Tony going after the NY crew for disrespecting both of his kids"

One more thing.. When Tony finds AJ, I had the following thought for a split second"I bet that when Tony pulls him out he is furious and instead of admitting to the suicide, AJ tenses up and tells him that he was attacked and that somebody tried to kill him..which would then have Tony going after the NY crew for disrespecting both of his kids"
The thought also crossed my mind that he wasn't going to rescue him...when he first saw him, he didn't exactly sprint to jump in and save him.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread I did not sign up for HBO this time around. I finally said enough I am not falling for this again.This is the first season of Sopranos I have missed. Having said that I am dying to know what has been going on. I have looked for synopsis but Have not found any I like. Maybe Raidernation has a link to good synopsis or even better maybe Raidernation can keep an ongoing summary in the first post of this thread? I cant really tell what is going on by reading this thread.

Thanks
you're missing out bro.http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/episode/season6/episode82.shtml

start at #78, they'll walk you through it.
bumping this link for me.

One more thing.. When Tony finds AJ, I had the following thought for a split second"I bet that when Tony pulls him out he is furious and instead of admitting to the suicide, AJ tenses up and tells him that he was attacked and that somebody tried to kill him..which would then have Tony going after the NY crew for disrespecting both of his kids"
The thought also crossed my mind that he wasn't going to rescue him...when he first saw him, he didn't exactly sprint to jump in and save him.
Meh - I think the moment he realized AJ was in real danger and not just screwing around was the moment that he started running.

Best line from last night, IMO:

Melfi: "Maybe on some subconcious level he knew that the rope was not short enough to keep him submerged."

Tony: "Yeah either that or he's a ####### idiot."

Or something close to that. Classic.

WTF is a "Lincoln log" it looked like a hot dog sliced down the middle with butter in it. Tony's face lit up when he saw that plate sitting there all for him. And it took him a while to drop it even when he saw AJ drowning.

WTF is a "Lincoln log" it looked like a hot dog sliced down the middle with butter in it. Tony's face lit up when he saw that plate sitting there all for him. And it took him a while to drop it even when he saw AJ drowning.
the Vito special? :banned:

What a pathetic final season to a great show.

(not necessarily in order:)

Episode A - Tony wallows in self pity

Episode B - A.J. wallows in self pity

Episode C - Christopher wallows in self pity

Episode D - Paulie wallows in self pity

Episode E - somebody else wallows in self pity

It's turned into a soap opera with a weekly token violent act added.

And finally, where's the humor that made it great?

Last edited by a moderator:
As I mentioned earlier in this thread I did not sign up for HBO this time around. I finally said enough I am not falling for this again.This is the first season of Sopranos I have missed. Having said that I am dying to know what has been going on. I have looked for synopsis but Have not found any I like. Maybe Raidernation has a link to good synopsis or even better maybe Raidernation can keep an ongoing summary in the first post of this thread? I cant really tell what is going on by reading this thread.

Thanks
you're missing out bro.http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/episode/season6/episode82.shtml

start at #78, they'll walk you through it.
bumping this link for me.
I hope you spend that $12 in a productive fashion. Nothing in that link will match sitting there and watching that show last night.

Users who are viewing this thread