What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (6 Viewers)

For some reason, I'm a bit more sympathetic towards Richie. I can respect a guy getting angry over being passed over for a man who he thinks is inferior. I always thought his one season stint was a mistake and that Chase kept trying to fill that void with Richie style antagonists.
Richie wasn't passed over; he was in prison when Tony rose through the ranks and eventually became Boss. Richie simply didn't like taking orders from someone who was beneath him prior to his stint in prison (similar to what also happen later with Feech). And let's not forget that Richie is the guy who ran Beansie over with his car. Hell, even Tony never did anything that horrible to a citizen (albeit a connected one).But I agree that a second season with Richie would have been money. You wonder how it would have played out if he and Janice had actually gotten married and the Tony/Richie feud just continued to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still say that Ralph didn't kill the horse (it was left ambiguous, so you could argue either way and not be wrong). I always thought that was the irony: after all of the stuff Ralph did that he deserved to be whacked for, Tony killed him for something he didn't do.
:confused: He absolutely, positively, 100% ordered the stable fire.I have no idea how anyone could listen to that entire conversation in the kitchen and come to any other conclusion.

I still say that Ralph didn't kill the horse (it was left ambiguous, so you could argue either way and not be wrong). I always thought that was the irony: after all of the stuff Ralph did that he deserved to be whacked for, Tony killed him for something he didn't do.
:confused: He absolutely, positively, 100% ordered the stable fire.I have no idea how anyone could listen to that entire conversation in the kitchen and come to any other conclusion.
Ralph didn't give a crap about the horse - and why should he have?.. his son was laid up at the hospital at the time with serious injuries - but that doesn't mean he ordered the fire. Joe Pantoliano even said that he asked David Chase if Ralph actually started the fire, and Chase wouldn't say, so Pantoliano, by his own admission, played the scene like Ralph had not started the fire.The way he says, "NO I DID NOT! BUT SO WHAT!," said it all to me. It was like, "I didn't kill the horse, but who freaking cares?"

I don't need to watch the scene again. I've seen it a dozen times. I stand by what I said. And Joey Pants saying he played the scene a certain way is very telling. Like I said, if you think he did it, that is fine, but again, you can argue it either way, and neither of us are wrong. It was left ambiguous on purpose. That David Chase is a cruel man sometimes. :lol:

I'd have to do some digging, but I remember reading it years ago. It might not have been online, but I know I read it. You'll probably just have to take my word for it.

I'd have to do some digging, but I remember reading it years ago. It might not have been online, but I know I read it. You'll probably just have to take my word for it.
Okay.I read that Chase said Ralph definitely had the horse killed.You'll have to take my word for it.

If we're talking Sopranos ambiguity.

Season Four "For All Debts Public and Private": Did that cop really kill Christaphuh's father, or was Tony trying to test him?

The cop denies everything to the very last moment--he even tells Chris that he is being manipulated.

If we're talking Sopranos ambiguity.Season Four "For All Debts Public and Private": Did that cop really kill Christaphuh's father, or was Tony trying to test him?The cop denies everything to the very last moment--he even tells Chris that he is being manipulated.
I think he did kill Chrissy's father. There was familiarity in Barry Haydu's expressions and reactions when Chris was quizzing him.

If we're talking Sopranos ambiguity.Season Four "For All Debts Public and Private": Did that cop really kill Christaphuh's father, or was Tony trying to test him?The cop denies everything to the very last moment--he even tells Chris that he is being manipulated.
I agree that there is definitely some question in this one. But I do think that he did it.

So Chase wouldn't even tell Joey Pants if his character killed the horse or not. How's he supposed to act? Ralph(Joe P.) knows whether or not he killed Pie Oh My, but thanks to Chase he can't act a certain way.

If Joe P. says I know what Ralph did and I swore that I wouldn't tell what happened I think that's fine, but Chase telling "Ralph" he didn't know what happened with the horse is garbage. Deep down "Ralph" knew what happened and should have acted accordingly. You cant just keep saying it could have went either way. That was an insanely powerful scene and Ralph knew whether or not he killed the horse which would have made him act one way or another.

Just finishing up my 1,000,000 viewing of the series. Wow, was Frank Vincent horrible. Terrible acting.

I don't think it was that ambiguous. When Chris told the detective who his father was, you could tell by his expression that he knew he was cooked. And when he finally realized he couldn't talk Chris out of it, he said he was sorry as he made his futile attempt to escape.

Okay.I read that Chase said Ralph definitely had the horse killed.You'll have to take my word for it.
Really? You gonna play this game now? Given how much we both know the show, do you really think I would make something up and then say the actor said this when he really didn't? Really? Also, I thought it was very questionable BEFOFE I knew of Joey Pants saying that, for what it's worth.
I don't think it was that ambiguous. When Chris told the detective who his father was, you could tell by his expression that he knew he was cooked. And when he finally realized he couldn't talk Chris out of it, he said he was sorry as he made his futile attempt to escape.
Exactly. It is hilarious that someone could think that that was more ambiguous than the horse's death. I guess the guy yelled, "I'm sorry," to Christopher for no reason right before he pulled the trigger, right?

This isn't the interview I remember reading a while back, but for what it's worth...

From Joey Pants himself:

"The Sopranos" is a TV show you really need to earn the privilege of knowing. Most people don't. I get people who watch the show and they say, "Oh, it's the best show on television. I loved it when Tony strangled the guy when he was taking his daughter to college." Or they go, "Hey, what the #### happened with you? Why'd you beat up that girl? What's a matter with you?" What they don't get is what the author was trying to say there. The show was about innocence. That at the same time Ralphie was sodomizing that girl while she was performing oral sex on a police officer, the counterpart is that Tony in the end is responsible for that element of behavior happening in the first place at his club, the Bada Bing! And at the same time, Tony's daughter is losing her sexual innocence to a young black boy in a dorm at Columbia. Nobody ever made the connection.

Another connection that people miss is how Ralphie is enamored with being a gladiator. He talks about Russell Crowe, he's swinging the chain, and he's identifying with the arc and the struggle of that man who has lost everything. He is a gladiator and he dies the death of a gladiator. It's a fight to the death between him and Tony over a horse that he had nothing to do with. Over a horse that Tony extorted away from him. Over a horse that was killed in a fire that Ralph virtually had nothing to do with. It was an accident. And when Tony leaves the Bada Bing! after washing Ralph's blood off of his hands, he walks by and sees a photograph of Tracy [the dancer Ralph viciously murdered last season].

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/001/928bzzvc.asp?page=2

I never re-watch Adriana's last scene.

In the whole series, this is the only scene that I have only seen twice.

She was a dumb, shallow, materialistic girl--but she wasn't mean, she wasn't spiteful.

The drive with Silvio...she didn't realize until the very end.

It's just too sad to view, again.

She wasn't spiteful? You might want to re-watch Rat Pack (Season 5 - Episode 2).

Generally speaking, Adriana was still on the high end of "goodness" when compared to the other characters on the show, but she still was not a good person.

Watching through the entire series (via Netflix) for the first time. Currently in season 6, episode 3.

Just wanted to say the dream sequence with Tony contemplating entering the "Finnerty" house while he is in cardiac arrest at the hospital is one of the best scenes of the entire series so far. A very moving and well put together moment.

Just wanted to say the dream sequence with Tony contemplating entering the "Finnerty" house while he is in cardiac arrest at the hospital is one of the best scenes of the entire series so far. A very moving and well put together moment.
It sure was. Especially with Meadow saying "Daddy, don't leave us" and all that.But of course, scenes like that lose their effectiveness over multiple viewings since you know the outcome.

Watching through the entire series (via Netflix) for the first time. Currently in season 6, episode 3.Just wanted to say the dream sequence with Tony contemplating entering the "Finnerty" house while he is in cardiac arrest at the hospital is one of the best scenes of the entire series so far. A very moving and well put together moment.
At the time it aired, the whole Kevin Finnerty dream sequence was probably the most aggravating stretch of the entire series.

'Adebisi said:
Watching through the entire series (via Netflix) for the first time. Currently in season 6, episode 3.Just wanted to say the dream sequence with Tony contemplating entering the "Finnerty" house while he is in cardiac arrest at the hospital is one of the best scenes of the entire series so far. A very moving and well put together moment.
At the time it aired, the whole Kevin Finnerty dream sequence was probably the most aggravating stretch of the entire series.
I'm rewatching the series too and I'm at that point. Except for when he's about to enter the Inn at the Oaks, the whole Kevin Finnerty thing sucked, IMO.

I didn't like the whole Kevin Finnerty dream sequence the first time through either, but in retrospect, it was pretty great. It is just different and moves slowly. I actually get chills every time I see the end of Join the Club; very powerful ending, yet not one that beats you over the head. I love stuff that makes you think. :thumbup: :thumbup:

He is diabolical.
The awful way he ignites the scene: "I wonder where Harpo is eating his Sunday dinner".To the aftermath when he struts outside, with that smirk.

Janice was making genuine strides to improve herself, but Tony couldn't take it. He had to bring her down.
When he went to visit her the day before (with the little rat dog next door barking incessantly to drive home the point that little things don't bother her anymore), he said to her "I'm happy for you, Janice -- really. And it seemed like he genuinely meant it. But I guess there was only so much serenity he could take.

That scene is awesome, and features Tony's was most evil smile ever.

"I don't got a right to ask? I'm the boy's uncle."

Janice then gasps, like, "How dare you say that?"

The smirk Tony then gives her before leaving is pure evil. Like, "Gotcha!"

I don't know if it's because I really don't give a #### about the Johhny Sac's wedding and health or Carmella's spec house or A.J.'s identity crisis or Tony getting shot or Vito's dealing with his homosexuality but I've been watching the sixth season again....man it really does pale. Frank Vincent is a horrible antagonist.

I don't know if it's because I really don't give a #### about the Johhny Sac's wedding and health or Carmella's spec house or A.J.'s identity crisis or Tony getting shot or Vito's dealing with his homosexuality but I've been watching the sixth season again....man it really does pale. Frank Vincent is a horrible antagonist.
:goodposting:I recently was re-watching the series from start to finish and I completely lost interest in the first half of season 6. Haven't picked it up to watch the rest, which wasn't bad.When the well of ideas in an awesome TV series starts to run dry, it's sad to watch. :(

:goodposting: I recently was re-watching the series from start to finish and I completely lost interest in the first half of season 6. Haven't picked it up to watch the rest, which wasn't bad.

When the well of ideas in an awesome TV series starts to run dry, it's sad to watch. :(
That's the entire issue in a nutshell. This show was never supposed to last six seasons. Chase wasn't even sure if it would get picked up after the pilot.

^ Though I thought season 5 was a tremendous bounce-back after a ho-hum S4. The Tony B. storyline with Buschemi had some good episodes.

I wouldn't call Season 4 ho-hum. While it did have some somewhat mediocre episodes (Christopher and Calling All Cars), it did have some outstanding ones in The Weight, Pie-O-My, Whoever Did This and, of course, Whitecaps. But the season overall did have somewhat of a different feeling, and I can see why some thought it was a bit of a drop-off.

I am actually a big fan of the Watching Too Much Television episode. I found the whole scamming/HUD thing fascinating as hell.

That said, Season 5 was definitely better; except for In Camelot, every episode was money.

As for 6, I think too much attention was definitely paid to AJ. The Vito storyline wasn't that good either, but I think it would have been more forgivable had the other major storylines been better, but with Tony's slow recovery from his shooting dominating much of the season, it made for a slow and less exciting than usual season. That dud of a finish to 6A didn't help either.

I'm wondering about something and I haven't seen a definitive answer for it:

Did James Gandolfini gain SO much weight before season 6 because it's in keeping with the lazy nature of his character and he is extremely dedicated to his craft? Or did James Gandolfini gain so much weight because James Gandolfini is simply a fat slob in real life?

I'm wondering about something and I haven't seen a definitive answer for it:Did James Gandolfini gain SO much weight before season 6 because it's in keeping with the lazy nature of his character and he is extremely dedicated to his craft? Or did James Gandolfini gain so much weight because James Gandolfini is simply a fat slob in real life?
I just saw him an HBO movie called "Cinema-Verite". He seems a little lighter, but not very much.

Since we are asking random questions....

What was the purpose of introducing another Soprano sister (Barbara) if there was never going to be a backstory?

I get that Chase probably wanted to show someone removing herself from "the Life", but it seems a flimsy premise.

Since we are asking random questions....What was the purpose of introducing another Soprano sister (Barbara) if there was never going to be a backstory? I get that Chase probably wanted to show someone removing herself from "the Life", but it seems a flimsy premise.
Barbara and Tom made occasional appearances. Sunday dinner... cookouts... Tom's father's funeral, etc.It wasn't like they showed up once and were never mentioned again.

Since we are asking random questions....What was the purpose of introducing another Soprano sister (Barbara) if there was never going to be a backstory? I get that Chase probably wanted to show someone removing herself from "the Life", but it seems a flimsy premise.
I have a vague recollection that she was introduced out of necessity (or ease)in dealing with Livia's storyline.

I have a vague recollection that she was introduced out of necessity (or ease)in dealing with Livia's storyline.
End of S1, Tony wants Livia to live with her, but Tom won't have it. The episode about the stolen plane tickets.

I'm wondering about something and I haven't seen a definitive answer for it:Did James Gandolfini gain SO much weight before season 6 because it's in keeping with the lazy nature of his character and he is extremely dedicated to his craft? Or did James Gandolfini gain so much weight because James Gandolfini is simply a fat slob in real life?
Probably a little bit of both, but I remember Chase saying that he wanted Tony to get fatter as the series went on, so Gandolfini probably enjoyed eating all day to get bigger. :lol:
End of S1, Tony wants Livia to live with her, but Tom won't have it. The episode about the stolen plane tickets.
Season 2, actually. :P

Tony Blundetto.

Did Tony S. do as much as he could have, should have to protect him?

Blundetto was obviously reckless, maybe even out of control. But, he saved Tony S's ###, way back when.

I think Tony S. should have stuck by Tony B. a lot longer.

I disagree. He stuck by him after Tony B. killed joey Peeps, but once he killed Phil's brother, he could no longer stick by him. There would have been all-out war with NY, and probably sooner than the inevitable one that happened near the end of the series. As a boss, Tony S. had to give his cousin up. In fact, he probably should have given him up without mercy killing him himself, but like Sil said, pride got in the way. Tony S. knew he had to give in to Johnny Sack and give his cousin up, but he wasn't gonna totally give in, which is partly why he killed Tony B. himself (also because he didn't want his cousin to have a painful death, which Phil surely would have given him).

Blundetto was obviously reckless, maybe even out of control. But, he saved Tony S's ###, way back when.
I forget that part of the back story. How did he save Tony S?
He and Tony S where supposed to go out on a job.Tony S. suffered a panic attack, didn't show up, and instead blamed it on two black guys.Tony B. was busted, but kept his mouth shut and did a long term in the state penn.

Users who are viewing this thread