Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

  • 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Sopranos movie prequel in the works according to David Chase

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

there is really nothing better than livia.  sees larry boy barese at the wedding season 1:

"Are you still seeing your other women, Lorenzo?"

Livia: You know somebody called here last night.....after dark

Tony: Who?

Livia: You think I answered, it was dark out

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

oh man, season 2 is so great.  Episode 5 is in the running for best of the entire series.  Not a wasted moment.

Furio comes over from Italy

Beats the #### out of Dominic

Chris is in the acting class and punches Alan

Melfi rants at Kupferburg and storms out, then decides to take Tony back

Tony and Hesh scenes when Tony needs a therapist.  Hesh tells Tony about his father's panic attacks.

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

There were men better looking in the can than Janice. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Janice and Richie get together, with the piece de resistance, the greatest scene ever, where Tony goes over to yell at Janice about taking a loan on their mother's house and Richie opens the door in his underwear, completely flabbergasting Tony.

the scene shortly after where Richie tries to make nice to Tony by making him some breakfast and Tony can't help but be a #### and Richie steps to him with the fork dripping in scrambled eggs was so good!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 months later...

Anyone going to Sopranos.con

Paulie, Big (Feline), Furio and even Pie-Oh-My are going to be in attendance. They built a replica of Pine Barrens. Over/under on the number of times someone says to Tony Sirico "Mix it with the relish" +1000. 

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/local/2019/11/23/sopranoscon-fans-flood-secaucus-nj-pay-tribute-hbo-show/4283792002/

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 7/16/2019 at 7:27 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

i wish the lord would take me

Great show but I still wonder what it could have/would have been if the actress playing Tony's mom hadn't passed. She was the best. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Great show but I still wonder what it could have/would have been if the actress playing Tony's mom hadn't passed. She was the best. 

of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

of course.  supposedly chase would have had her and tony reconcile, thought not totally sure who that could have happened if she really had borderline personality disorder.

i think it kind of turned out the way that it should have.  tony was a sociopath and could not be redeemed.  que sera sera

Turned out great. Just will always wonder how the original outline would have played out.  I haven't seen a show close to being that good in awhile.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

In re-watching clips from some of the earlier seasons, I have come to appreciate Brendan Filone a little bit more. He was profoundly stupid, hilariously so. But unlike Christaphuh, Jackie Jr., and the two knuckleheads who tried to whack Chrissy, Brendan seemed to know he was a moron and just went with it.

The laugh over his witticism about Jackie Sr. and "chemo-sabe" and Tony's response: https://youtu.be/jaEMZ_jeR4s?t=46 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It was pretty easy to get up to speed on the characters, but, in the 1999/2000 era and not having HBO myself, going back to watch from the beginning just wasn't a thing.

I also haven't watched any episodes since they originally aired. I'd always meant to give it a go, just never got around to it.

So, I'm going back to the start, this weekend, with season 1, episode 1, and will go from there.

Edited by Walking Boot
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2020 at 7:17 PM, Walking Boot said:

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It was pretty easy to get up to speed on the characters, but, in the 1999/2000 era and not having HBO myself, going back to watch from the beginning just wasn't a thing.

I also haven't watched any episodes since they originally aired. I'd always meant to give it a go, just never got around to it.

So, I'm going back to the start, this weekend, with season 1, episode 1, and will go from there.

How's it going so far? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Just started season 2. Season 1 was a little slow in places but I'm enjoying it. 

i've been re-watching over the past few months.  Just started season 6 again.

i've watched the whole series multiple times, but seeing things fairly differently this time. 

I also find the Tony B storyline kind of odd.  It feels like it was a bit of a waste and his character wasn't that fully developed.  really just a vehicle to tell us about tony's guilt and the way he operates.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect timing for me: "Talking Sopranos" starts in April

Quote

 

The Sopranos stars Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa, who respectively played Christopher Moltisanti and Bobby “Bacala” Baccalieri, will host the new podcast Talking Sopranos which is dropping this April on Apple, Spotify, YouTube and other podcast platforms.

This podcast will follow The Sopranos series episode by episode providing inside info, behind the scenes stories and little-known facts that could only come from those on the inside. The close friends will also share candid conversations about working in the entertainment industry.

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been rewatching a decent amount over the last couple weeks. Caught an amazing line early in season 3 that I never noticed before. When Johnny Sack bought the house in Jersey and had everyone over, the guys are outside admiring the property and when Johnny leaves, the conversion goes:

Paulie (I think): how much you think he paid for this place? 

Sylvio: The landscaping alone has to be 100-150 grand!

Gigi: And property taxes...you gotta pay those!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.

Edited by Walking Boot
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.

poppers and weird sex?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

I am low-key wondering if something I was tangentially involved in back in the late 90s in NYC will be specifically mentioned or alluded to as an inspiration for a plotline that emerged in the show a couple of years after. I've always wondered if the writers were aware.

Bass player for visiting day?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 6:10 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

Bass player for visiting day?

Too bad that band never broke.  That singer was something special.  He took time off from Kinko's and had the experience of having recorded in Denmark; he should have been a star. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It was weird to spot Vito as 'just some schmuck civilian' in a season 1 episode before he joined the show for real in season 2.

Some fun trivia:

Vito's wife  on the show, Marie, is Lorraine Bracco's sister in real life.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh man, the opening of season 3, episode 1

I remember watching this at a viewing party with friends. That Peter Gunn theme starts, and it's fun and you smile, yeah, spy moves, OK.

But then, that mashup starts with "Every Breath You Take", and it was stunning. I remember when that swept through the room. I don't know if this is the first mainstream mashup, but, it ####### rocked the party. Just "Whoa, this is amazing," then awe and appreciation. Just brilliant. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, Ghost Rider said:

Too bad that band never broke.  That singer was something special.  He took time off from Kinko's and had the experience of having recorded in Denmark; he should have been a star. 

The engineer cracked me up.

Where's the chorus? You got no ####### chorus

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

so Phil was definitely gay, right?

I mean, he was gripping that bed pretty tight when Vito was getting murdered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

But then, that mashup starts with "Every Breath You Take", and it was stunning. I remember when that swept through the room. I don't know if this is the first mainstream mashup, but, it ####### rocked the party. Just "Whoa, this is amazing," then awe and appreciation. Just brilliant. 

Yeah I remember watching that the first time and being very amused. Without having done any research, is that one of pop culture's first mashups?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Yeah I remember watching that the first time and being very amused. Without having done any research, is that one of pop culture's first mashups?

It was probably the first mainstream one. Some very basic looking into music mashups doesn't have any big ones until well after that episode aired, in the early 2000s

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Jackie Jr and his buddies hit the card game, they were watching That Scene from Basic Instinct. Do you think Chase and HBO reached out to Sharon Stone for permission to show that?

I imagine they may have had the rights to show it but when you're about to show off a beaver in an unrelated but extremely popular piece of entertainment, you'd think they'd offer that professional courtesy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RUSF18 said:

Before Jackie Jr and his buddies hit the card game, they were watching That Scene from Basic Instinct. Do you think Chase and HBO reached out to Sharon Stone for permission to show that?

I imagine they may have had the rights to show it but when you're about to show off a beaver in an unrelated but extremely popular piece of entertainment, you'd think they'd offer that professional courtesy.

I would think you'd need permission from the producer or director or whomever has the rights to such things. I doubt the actor in what particular scene is shown has much say-so, unless they get it written into their contract, which seems unlikely. Someone with more knowledge of things can correct me if I am wrong. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I would think you'd need permission from the producer or director or whomever has the rights to such things. I doubt the actor in what particular scene is shown has much say-so, unless they get it written into their contract, which seems unlikely. Someone with more knowledge of things can correct me if I am wrong. 

I've had to do it. It's extremely complicated. 

Most of the time, even if the actor doesn't have the right of refusal, you still have to make their day rate and maybe a residual payment too. It ain't cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I've had to do it. It's extremely complicated. 

Most of the time, even if the actor doesn't have the right of refusal, you still have to make their day rate and maybe a residual payment too. It ain't cheap. 

Gotcha.

I always find it odd when TV shows or films give away critical moments or ending of other movies.  I never saw Casablanca till like a year ago, but I pretty much already knew how it ended thanks to When Harry Met Sally, where the two talk about it early in the film and then they basically show the final shot of the film (being watched by both in their respective beds) later in the film while they are talking on the phone. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Gotcha.

I always find it odd when TV shows or films give away critical moments or ending of other movies.  I never saw Casablanca till like a year ago, but I pretty much already knew how it ended thanks to When Harry Met Sally, where the two talk about it early in the film and then they basically show the final shot of the film (being watched by both in their respective beds) later in the film while they are talking on the phone. 

Not-so-fun-fact, older movies are easier to use because pre-1956 or so, the SAG contract didn't require the residuals payments, so you could just buy a usage right on the footage and plug it in there. After '56ish came the change where you had to pay the actors their fees too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...