Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It

Could have used more Furio before they wrote him out. His first scene in America collecting at the brothel was insane. up in the club cracks me up every time.

Plus he killed Tracee. I met that actress once, she was a coffee girl working our base camp one day. She was smokin' in person :wub: 

She kept talking about how she was going to be in an upcoming episode, and made quite the impression on a young Boot. Everyone was falling over her. Then we see her episode and it's :stalker: everywhere. Kept trying to get her to come back once we'd all seen the goods :lmao:

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Plus he killed Tracee. I met that actress once, she was a coffee girl working our base camp one day. She was smokin' in person :wub: 

She kept talking about how she was going to be in an upcoming episode, and made quite the impression on a young Boot. Everyone was falling over her. Then we see her episode and it's :stalker: everywhere. Kept trying to get her to come back once we'd all seen the goods :lmao:

She still looks pretty good for almost 40.

https://www.instagram.com/arielkiley/?hl=en

Never forget:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJmoNlBjEE

• Thanks 1

i learned recently that that actress is in a similar business to my wife (related to physical therapy) and that there is certainly a non-zero chance that I could meet her if I tried.

I also read a thing where she said that the original ending was to have Tony not care that she was killed and that she loved it and the comment that it made on that whole world, but Gandolfini and/or producers thought that Tony needed to be more humanized for his character.

On 3/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, RUSF18 said:

Before Jackie Jr and his buddies hit the card game, they were watching That Scene from Basic Instinct. Do you think Chase and HBO reached out to Sharon Stone for permission to show that?

Ironic, as most the TV you'll see them watching is public domain stuff from the 50s. 

• 1 month later...

Now that HBO Now has all 86 episodes uploaded, has anybody been doing a rewatch? This is my first rewatch since the original absolutely loving it, amazing how well it holds up.

You pick up so many more layers and references you might have missed the first time. The song choices are brilliant. The juxtaposition of the stress of work to the stress at home. From dark, violent scenes to the Sopranos McMansion, contrasting the criminal activity that affords the high lifestyle. Also, it’s gets even funnier with the rewatch.

What...now there’s no ####### ziti?

Didn’t he almost drown in three inches of water

Anyway, four dollars a pound

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Interior Decorator...is house looked like ####

Stupida ####### game

All we did was study hard

What was it barkin’

My kitchens  all wiped off for the night

Mother ####in’ GD ORANGE PEEL BEEF

Jason...men are talking here

It’s like Sun Tazoo says

• Like 2

I’m up to Season 5, Episode 6 

Sentimental Education

ALSO

Great new podcast started later month with Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa. They’re only up to S1E5 College but it’s so freaking good I might turn around and start my next rewatch when I finish up.

Talking Sopranos

3 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Now that HBO Now has all 86 episodes uploaded, has anybody been doing a rewatch? This is my first rewatch since the original absolutely loving it, amazing how well it holds up.

You pick up so many more layers and references you might have missed the first time. The song choices are brilliant. The juxtaposition of the stress of work to the stress at home. From dark, violent scenes to the Sopranos McMansion, contrasting the criminal activity that affords the high lifestyle. Also, it’s gets even funnier with the rewatch.

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Stupida ####### game

What was it barkin’

It’s like Sun Tazoo says

I have all of the seasons on DVD and have probably plowed through them all 5-6 times now over the years, but I will sometimes throw on from HBO GO just for the hell of it.  The show really was comedy gold.

I still love Season 5 when Tony told Chrissy to clam up about Little Carmine in front of Johnny Sack, and of course at dinner Chrissy starts starting about it.  Tony tries to distract him by asking for a piece of bread, and Vito grabs the bread basket and tries to hand it to him. The look Tony gives him is priceless, like, "I didn't actually want a piece of bread, you ####### imbecile." :lol:

• Laughing 1
2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

I still love Season 5 when Tony told Chrissy to clam up about Little Carmine in front of Johnny Sack, and of course at dinner Chrissy starts starting about it.  Tony tries to distract him by asking for a piece of bread, and Vito grabs the bread basket and tries to hand it to him. The look Tony gives him is priceless, like, "I didn't actually want a piece of bread, you ####### imbecile." :lol:

ride home:

NOW I GOTTA UN- #### WHAT YOU JUST DID!

2 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Amazing that thirteen years later, it’s more popular than ever. Whole new generations are discovering it for the first time.

Quasi Modo predicted all this 

Wife and I just watched it through for the first time.  Funnier than I expected it to be.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Wife and I just watched it through for the first time.  Funnier than I expected it to be.

That podcast is great, lots of backstory on casting, getting started, how they knew this was a once in a lifetime gig, you don’t get a lot of jobs where you love it and love the people you work with.

Imperiloli wasn’t that well known but he’d been in a couple things, he had chops plus writing experience. When he read for Christopher Moltisanti they didn’t bring anyone else in, he was just what they wanted.

(three actors, all of whom ended up in the show, read for the Tony Soprano part)

First day of work, he’s really pumped about the pilot - they weren’t picked up for a full season yet - and one of his first scenes he’s functioning as Tony’s driver. Imperioli grew up in New York, he was 31 but he didn’t have a license (not that uncommon here.) But he had driven a little so he figured he could wing it.

He crashed an SUV. Hard, air bags went off. He’s thinking oh ####, I worked so hard to get this and they’re gonna fire me first day. He didn’t even know Gandolfini, was waiting for him to explode.

Jim looks around, gets this WTF look on his face, and just starts laughing hysterically.

Edited by BobbyLayne
On 3/2/2020 at 9:25 PM, Major said:
On 3/2/2020 at 9:18 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

so Phil was definitely gay, right?

He did come out of the closet when Vito got whacked.  

That whole plot line was pretty interesting to look at many years later given how much society at large has evolved on this topic.

19 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Whatever happened there 

The heir apparent 

Stupida ####### game

What was it barkin’

It’s like Sun Tazoo says

I've been going through it for the first time ever, as we've never had HBO and only recently discovered it on  Amazon.  I binged the first 4 seasons, but stopped early in 5 and started on  other shows, like Boardwalk Empire. I've seen clips of it over the years on youtube, so I thought I had an idea of what was going on in general. Still glad I've been able to watch entire episodes instead. I think the Pine Barrens may be my favorite episode so far; Buscemi has a future as a director if he wants.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I've been going through it for the first time ever, as we've never had HBO and only recently discovered it on  Amazon.  I binged the first 4 seasons, but stopped early in 5 and started on  other shows, like Boardwalk Empire. I've seen clips of it over the years on youtube, so I thought I had an idea of what was going on in general. Still glad I've been able to watch entire episodes instead. I think the Pine Barrens may be my favorite episode so far; Buscemi has a future as a director if he wants.

Season 1 was great. 2 and 3 were good, but some of episodes seemed more about developing character depth than moving along the story arc. Still some great episodes though. Season 4 is amazing with the rise and demise of Pie-O-My and Ralph Ceferetto.

Season 5 is coming on strong. Class of 2004 comes out of the can - Feech LaMonna, Phil Leotardo, Tony Blundetto. Lorraine Calluzzo and Jimmy Peeps get whacked as Little Carmine & Johnny Sac go to war over leadership of the Lupertazzi family. Tony B tries to go clean but gets sucked back in. Great stuff

10 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Season 1 was great. 2 and 3 were good, but some of episodes seemed more about developing character depth than moving along the story arc. Still some great episodes though. Season 4 is amazing with the rise and demise of Pie-O-My and Ralph Ceferetto.

Season 5 is coming on strong. Class of 2004 comes out of the can - Feech LaMonna, Phil Leotardo, Tony Blundetto. Lorraine Calluzzo and Jimmy Peeps get whacked as Little Carmine & Johnny Sac go to war over leadership of the Lupertazzi family. Tony B tries to go clean but gets sucked back in. Great stuff

Hmmm, while there is a lot of greatness in Season 4, I think there was a slight dip in quality.  Some of the least best episodes the show had were in Season 4, IMO, like Christopher and Calling All Cars.  Seasons 1-3 are nearly flawless (the two episodes before Pine Barrens are the only slightly average ones).  Season 5 bounced back and was incredible for 12 of the 13 seasons (In Camelot being a major stinker).

4 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I misspoke earlier.  It's season 6 where I got bogged down. I remember what you describe.  Jimmy Peeps' funeral made me laugh more than I should have. I had some sympathy for Tony B at first, but he almost seemed to be begging for his civilian life to fail toward the end.  As for Ralph, he just pissed me off every time he was on screen. Little Carmine pissed me off too, but for different reasons.  He should have stayed out of it after his dad died.

37 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Just up to "Johnnycakes" in my rewatch. Not sure what to do about the podcast, might let the whole thing get released then rewatch again.

This is exactly where I am. 

15 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Hmmm, while there is a lot of greatness in Season 4, I think there was a slight dip in quality.  Some of the least best episodes the show had were in Season 4, IMO, like Christopher and Calling All Cars.  Seasons 1-3 are nearly flawless (the two episodes before Pine Barrens are the only slightly average ones).  Season 5 bounced back and was incredible for 12 of the 13 seasons (In Camelot being a major stinker).

Art is always subjective, no surprise opinions vary. Pine Barrens is great slapstick comedy. Whitecaps is a tour de force, best episode of the first 4 seasons IMO.

I love that we’re discussing episodes from 2002. Such a great groundbreaking series.

:clap:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BobbyLayne said:

Art is always subjective, no surprise opinions vary. Pine Barrens is great slapstick comedy. Whitecaps is a tour de force, best episode of the first 4 seasons IMO.

I love that we’re discussing episodes from 2002. Such a great groundbreaking series.

:clap:

After many repeat views, I tend to think of The Sopranos as a sitcom of sorts.  So many LOL moments and part of the reason I keep coming back.   Doesn't get much better than this:

Paulie: You're not gonna believe this. He killed sixteen Czechoslovakians. The guy was an interior decorator!

Christopher Moltisanti: His house looked like #####.

• Laughing 2
2 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

I misspoke earlier.  It's season 6 where I got bogged down. I remember what you describe.  Jimmy Peeps' funeral made me laugh more than I should have. I had some sympathy for Tony B at first, but he almost seemed to be begging for his civilian life to fail toward the end.  As for Ralph, he just pissed me off every time he was on screen. Little Carmine pissed me off too, but for different reasons.  He should have stayed out of it after his dad died.

That discussion between Tony and Sil about the Joey's gravestone still cracks me up.  

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Major said:

small hands, that was his problem 

Junior always has the best lines

”My nephew is a #### hair away from taking over north Jersey. And I’m the #### hair!”

3 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Two hardest scenes to watch in the whole series were Melfi’s rape (Employee of the Month) and Ralph killing Tracee (University) -  I had to look away. Both are in Season 3.

I hated Ralph during the original airing, he was the most loathsome character of the entire series. But I appreciated what a great actor Joey Pants is more on the rewatch. It’s gotta be fun as an actor to get teed up with punch lines all the time like ChrisToeFah or Paulie Walnuts. Playing someone as vile as Ceferetto has to be a challenge.

Edited by BobbyLayne
  • Thanks 1
48 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

Junior always has the best lines

”My nephew is a #### hair away from taking over north Jersey. And I’m the #### hair!”

"Did you offer my nephew something to eat?"

"I am registered nurse, not maid."

"Did you offer him an aspirin?"

:lmao::lmao:

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1
1 minute ago, Charlie Steiner said:

That's also the funeral that Junior ran away from and left Bobby in the dust, right?

No, that was the funeral for the idiot who Vito whacked in broad daylight and then took 56 minutes to get in the car.

1 minute ago, Ghost Rider said:

No, that was the funeral for the idiot who Vito whacked in broad daylight and then took 56 minutes to get in the car.

With the .32 caliber ladies gun!

How does a guy that big sneak up behind Jackie Jr? Because he was light in the loafers

They couldn’t even make that series today. Unidentified Black Males

21 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

With the .32 caliber ladies gun!

How does a guy that big sneak up behind Jackie Jr? Because he was light in the loafers

They couldn’t even make that series today. Unidentified Black Males

Vito was stealth. :lol:

20 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Jackie Jr?

Yep.

15 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

86 episodes. There should have been more. 

If Chase and the HBO execs had delayed production for just a few months so Gandolfini could do Catch Me If You Can, I think he might have committed to another season or so. 

Total lack of foresight on Chase's thinking. 

Nah, the best shows are the ones that don't go on too long.  Considering how slow 6a was, dragging it out any more would not have been that great.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

86 episodes. There should have been more. 

If Chase and the HBO execs had delayed production for just a few months so Gandolfini could do Catch Me If You Can, I think he might have committed to another season or so. 

Total lack of foresight on Chase's thinking. 

I think they thought they'd run the course, no?

Every season was 13 episodes except the last one, which was 21. Extended to finish the story they wanted, I would think... if you're going to shoot that long to do 21, you'd have no problem stopping at 13, letting the guy do some movies, then come back for 13 more, IMO. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

Wasn't paying attention to how close I was to finishing the last season, finished binging last night and today. Of all the death scenes in the series, I think Phil Leotardo's was the most over he top.

The death moment was fine and very mafia-like - boom, you're dead before you even know it's happening - but the following moment, with the vehicle rolling over his head, did seem a bit over the top.

Edited by Ghost Rider
6 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

The death moment was fine and very mafia-like - boom, you're dead before you even know it's happening - but the following moment, with the vehicle rolling over his head, did seem a bit over the top.

That's what I was referring to, but more than that bystanders reactions, while arguably apropos to what they just witnessed, still seemed deliberately campy.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Steiner said:

That's what I was referring to, but more than that bystanders reactions, while arguably apropos to what they just witnessed, still seemed deliberately campy.

Chase loved showing people throwing up on camera. :lol:

• Laughing 1