Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

On 5/9/2020 at 1:01 PM, BobbyLayne said:

It’s a funny dynamic for sure. But different strokes, some people love hearing about the layers of symbolism & others just wanna reminisce about the zingers. They’ve got some ying yang potential as they get more comfortable with the format.

Gotta be hard doing it remote, too - not sure if they have a Zoom going but they don’t always seem in sync. But I probably like the different perspectives over say a couple guys who both process things the same way. 

i agree on the remote part and i will say that episode 5 was a little better in terms of the rhythm and I loved Schirripa ####ting on DeNiro and Werner Herzog of all people.

• Laughing 1
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Sopranos movie prequel in the works according to David Chase

The talking Sopranos podcast is really good if you would like to know about every play that Michael imperioli has ever seen.

22 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

In the rewatches, the actor I have come to appreciate is Vincent Curatola. There was a lot of layers to Johnny Sack, and Curatola played it pitch perfect. Gandolfini really liked him.

The Ralphie joke about Ginny becoming a major season-long plot point seems preposterous on the surface, but Curatola's acting fueled it and made it legitimate. His umbrage was genuine.

As others have mentioned, the unintentional humor was a big part of the show. When Johnny Sack goes to Carmine Sr. and asks to sanction a hit on Ralphie for the joke, Carmine's reactions are off the charts funny. 

The sitdown later with Junior on the conference call was awesome.

"Let's just agree it was unkind."

• Like 1
On 5/1/2020 at 5:11 PM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

86 episodes. There should have been more. 

If Chase and the HBO execs had delayed production for just a few months so Gandolfini could do Catch Me If You Can, I think he might have committed to another season or so. 

Total lack of foresight on Chase's thinking. 

Another season would have been a mistake. 

• Like 2
On 5/10/2020 at 12:54 AM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

In the rewatches, the actor I have come to appreciate is Vincent Curatola. There was a lot of layers to Johnny Sack, and Curatola played it pitch perfect. Gandolfini really liked him.

The Ralphie joke about Ginny becoming a major season-long plot point seems preposterous on the surface, but Curatola's acting fueled it and made it legitimate. His umbrage was genuine.

As others have mentioned, the unintentional humor was a big part of the show. When Johnny Sack goes to Carmine Sr. and asks to sanction a hit on Ralphie for the joke, Carmine's reactions are off the charts funny. 

Same for me, Johnny grew on me in the rewatch. Such a well written, complex character acted out superbly. Very memorable cadence he gave Johnny. "I never had a problem with Ginny's weight...Rubenesque."

Ironic he’s like the only monster who actually loves his wife & never cheats on her.

Johnny Sack’s best moments

15 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I know he got out of line, but, in all honesty, I'm taking Bobbly Baclava's side in the Monopoly dispute. Those extra rules like "free parking" are what killed the board game and make everyone hate it. It's what makes the game drag on forever. Monopoly is a fast-paced, cut-throat game of strategy and wheeling and dealing. But no one plays by the right rules and that's what makes the game suck when you try to play it now.

Seriously, try the real monopoly rules: If you land on a property, you either buy it right away, or, it immediately goes up for auction for all players to purchase. When you pay money to the bank, it stays in the bank, there's no bonus for landing on free parking. Just those two rules, actually enforced, make the game a lot faster and fun. No more dragged out long boring games. It's over, fast. 

(In addition: You cannot "loan" money to other players, all loans must be from the bank, and only via mortgages. If you run out of green houses or red hotel pieces, that's it... no more building may take place. If someone wants to buy the last house (or last few houses), other players can offer the bank more money to get them immediately, and the final houses are sold via auction. Those two other rules, when actually enforced, make the game more cut-throat and strategic)

Anyway, I'm on Bobby's side here. Yeah, he maybe shouldn't have hit Tony. Maybe. But Tony really kinda had it coming for disrespecting the game.

how bout that?

:hophead:

how bout that?

Edited by Long Ball Larry
  • Thanks 1
On 5/10/2020 at 5:45 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

i agree on the remote part and i will say that episode 5 was a little better in terms of the rhythm and I loved Schirripa ####ting on DeNiro and Werner Herzog of all people.

Listened to TS episode yesterday (S1E7, Down Neck), they had Robert Isler on. He’s 35 now. Was...interesting.

Sounds like he has no interest in ever doing anything again. 7 years sober so he’s got that going for him. His manager calls him from time to time with an audition or a part. The only time he took a role was to get out of jury duty.

:lol:

• Like 1

Considering he really can't act, I can't say I blame Isler for not wanting to work. I am sure he is set for life after lucking into the Sopranos gig.

As for Bobby and Monopoly, sure, he was technically right, but you have to expect a little push back from the boss when you married a gal who used to service guys under the boardwalk.

Edited by Ghost Rider
4 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Considering he really can't act, I can't say I blame Isler for not wanting to work. I am sure he is set for life after lucking into the Sopranos gig.

I don’t know about that.  Hbo doesn’t pay THAT much and I’m not sure he would have been in a position to get points on syndication, dvd, etc.  but I could be wrong.

Ok, I guess I am just Probably wrong:

Robert Iler Sopranos Salary: Robert and his child co-star Jamie-Lynn Sigler earned a paltry $10,000 per episode for the first season of The Sopranos. In the middle of the show's run, they each earned $85,000 per episode. In the two final seasons of the show, Jamie and Robert both earned $150,000 per episode. That works out to around $3.15 million in earnings across those final 21 episodes.

• Like 1

Jeez, no wonder AJ was featured so much the last two seasons.  I guess they figured, "if we have to pay this clown this much money, we might as well make him work for it."

On the flip side, Jamie-Lynn Sigler, who wasn't used a whole lot the last few seasons, made out like a bandit. I swear there were episodes where she'd be in like one or two scenes for no more than a minute.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 3:22 PM, Walking Boot said:

I've always been partial to Golf?! Stupid-a f###ing game!

Worst line in the show imo. 

• 1 month later...

As awesome as S5 was, I thought the resolution to that episode was weak.  A doctor admitting under duress that Ade was sitting up at the time of the accident managed to talk Chris down and convince him that nothing was going on with her and Tony? Sure, it just added to his growing resentment for Tony, but it was resolved too quickly in that episode and then they were all buddy-buddy again right after that.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

As awesome as S5 was, I thought the resolution to that episode was weak.  A doctor admitting under duress that Ade was sitting up at the time of the accident managed to talk Chris down and convince him that nothing was going on with her and Tony? Sure, it just added to his growing resentment for Tony, but it was resolved too quickly in that episode and then they were all buddy-buddy again right after that.

Well, Chris said he guessed he believed him but obviously didn’t necessarily, just figured that he didn’t really have any choice.  Which of course led to the plot of cleaver.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been listening to the podcast Talking Sopranos and watching each episode after it's podcast. Tonight I have season 2 premier lined up. This show really holds up for me and the podcast adds a lot.

2 minutes ago, prosopis said:

I have been listening to the podcast Talking Sopranos and watching each episode after it's podcast. Tonight I have season 2 premier lined up. This show really holds up for me and the podcast adds a lot.

Cool may have to try this out

4 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Cool may have to try this out

It's Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa. They are going through the series breaking down one episode at a time. It's pretty interesting. My one complaint would be that they talk over each a lot. It's worth a listen and there is some cool behind the scenes info. They also have guests from the show on.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, prosopis said:

It's Michael Imperioli and Steve Schirripa. They are going through the series breaking down one episode at a time. It's pretty interesting. My one complaint would be that they talk over each a lot. It's worth a listen and there is some cool behind the scenes info. They also have guests from the show on.

Yeah, I got annoyed by the podcast. I wish Schirripa would shut up half the time and let Imperioli really talk.  He has much more insight as a writer/director.  Steve is good for side stories and bs but loves talking even when he has nothing to offer.   

• Like 2
1 hour ago, need2know said:

re watching

only 2 episodes left.  This final season is great except for one thing.  TOO MUCH AJ.  wow.  Im sick of that guy

The "Chasing It" episode was kinda weak, but the final season (6b) was still mostly very good, although not on the level of 1, 2, 3 and 5.  I could have done with less A.J. as well, but I get why they focused on him so much (they focused on Meadow a lot when she was around that age in the early seasons as well).

Edited by Ghost Rider
1 hour ago, Major said:

Yeah, I got annoyed by the podcast. I wish Schirripa would shut up half the time and let Imperioli really talk.  He has much more insight as a writer/director.  Steve is good for side stories and bs but loves talking even when he has nothing to offer.   

I agree but there is enough stuff from Imperioli that I can suffer through Schirripa. He seems like a nice guy, he just talks over Imperioli to much. I think some of it is because they are not in the same room together. I assume they are doing zoom or something like that. It sounds like some of the talking over is due to some phone lag? I still find it entertaining enough.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started a rewatch for the first time since it originally aired. I rarely rewatch stuff but am really enjoying it.

Bodie from The Wire sighting when they hijacked that truck and accidentally killed the driver.

4 hours ago, jamny said:

Just started a rewatch for the first time since it originally aired. I rarely rewatch stuff but am really enjoying it.

Bodie from The Wire sighting when they hijacked that truck and accidentally killed the driver.

Yeah, the show has great rewatch value.  I really appreciated the comedic elements on my second watch.  Omar coming in a season or two

• Like 1
Just now, Ghost Rider said:

When I do Sopranos re-watches, I limit myself to four episodes a day.

That is what I want to do but I decided to follow the Talking Sopranos podcast schedule. It has added to the whole thing. Some pretty cool stuff. This last episode had Lorraine Bracco on as a guest. I was really surprised that she sounds crazy. She said she got a lot of Dr Melphi from her own personal experience with two psychiatrist and being on meds herself. Its hard to explain but the way she talks and laughs you can just tell she is nuts. Having said that good for her for doing something about her mental issues. Interesting to hear that she had a thing with Harvey Keitel.

The episode before this Michael Imperiolli mentions some of the worst extras you will ever see. I don't remember noticing it when I first saw it but it does stick out like a sore thumb. I am surprised it got through on such a detailed show. It was the two young men in the brothel. 

I am also impressed with Imperiolli's knowledge of film history. 

1 hour ago, prosopis said:

That is what I want to do but I decided to follow the Talking Sopranos podcast schedule. It has added to the whole thing. Some pretty cool stuff. This last episode had Lorraine Bracco on as a guest. I was really surprised that she sounds crazy. She said she got a lot of Dr Melphi from her own personal experience with two psychiatrist and being on meds herself. Its hard to explain but the way she talks and laughs you can just tell she is nuts. Having said that good for her for doing something about her mental issues. Interesting to hear that she had a thing with Harvey Keitel.

The episode before this Michael Imperiolli mentions some of the worst extras you will ever see. I don't remember noticing it when I first saw it but it does stick out like a sore thumb. I am surprised it got through on such a detailed show. It was the two young men in the brothel. 

I am also impressed with Imperiolli's knowledge of film history. 

Which episode?   You said brothel, which makes me think of the Big Girls Don't Cry episode when Furio beats the crap out of the owner and his wife at the brothel, after Chris had visited them at the beginning, but I don't remember two extras standing out.

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Which episode?   You said brothel, which makes me think of the Big Girls Don't Cry episode when Furio beats the crap out of the owner and his wife at the brothel, after Chris had visited them at the beginning, but I don't remember two extras standing out.

Thats the one.

He said their cue must have been to get up after Christopher walks by. You can see them anticipating the cue and they are real awkward as they walk across the room and both start talking to the same girl. It's very odd and unnatural looking.

19 hours ago, prosopis said:

Thats the one.

He said their cue must have been to get up after Christopher walks by. You can see them anticipating the cue and they are real awkward as they walk across the room and both start talking to the same girl. It's very odd and unnatural looking.

I just watched it again and remembered it.  It was kind of awkward, but not as terrible as I would have thought based on what you said Imperioli said.

3 minutes ago, jamny said:

Is Talking Sopranos the youtube one that just started this year or a podcast?

Thinking about checking it out as I'm rewatching now.

I listen to it in my car but I do think it is on youtube.

A very interesting thing upon rewatch is seeing the similarities between Tony's mom and my MiL. My wife doesn't have a great relationship with her mom and it's a chore to visit or even call her. Almost everything Livia says is similar to her, especially with how she talks about her husband now that he has passed. They did nothing but argue but now he's a saint.

It's good to have a reference to give people an idea of what she's like.

2 minutes ago, jamny said:

A very interesting thing upon rewatch is seeing the similarities between Tony's mom and my MiL. My wife doesn't have a great relationship with her mom and it's a chore to visit or even call her. Almost everything Livia says is similar to her, especially with how she talks about her husband now that he has passed. They did nothing but argue but now he's a saint.

It's good to have a reference to give people an idea of what she's like.

According to the podcast Livia was based on David Chase's mother. :lol:

• Laughing 1

interesting in the big girls don't cry podcast ep where Schirripa mentions that Carmela is always doing something, always cooking or cleaning or doing this or that, never just sitting down and resting.  which i think actually might correlate to what Melfi later says to Tony about having alexithymia and can never stop moving so that he doesn't have to reflect on his abhorrent behavior.  And for Carmela, it's pretty much the same thing, especially when we consider her ongoing struggles with the "morality" of their lifestyle.  And this tension I think is really indicated  when they have those scenes between Tony and Camela just sitting in the house together and being so uncomfortable when everything is quiet.

I had done a slow re-watch from like the last July to this February or so, then started to listen to the podcast around May or whatever.  Now started up again with season 2.  I will say that listening to the podcast and the scene-by-scene progression has certainly let me make additional connections across characters and situations that I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I also am getting pretty unsympathetic to Carmela.  I think that the first time around, I might not have thought that much about it and just kind of thought she was annoying.  Then the next few times, I certainly recognized on her ongoing conflicts, but generally felt like she was somewhat strong and just in a really tough situation.  But this time around, I really don't have that much sympathy for her.  She strong-arms Cusumano's sister, forgets about her anger because Tony gives her a fur coat, etc.  Maybe I'm seeing it a little differently since I skipped season 1 this time.

• Like 1