Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread

4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

interesting in the big girls don't cry podcast ep where Schirripa mentions that Carmela is always doing something, always cooking or cleaning or doing this or that, never just sitting down and resting.  which i think actually might correlate to what Melfi later says to Tony about having alexithymia and can never stop moving so that he doesn't have to reflect on his abhorrent behavior.  And for Carmela, it's pretty much the same thing, especially when we consider her ongoing struggles with the "morality" of their lifestyle.  And this tension I think is really indicated  when they have those scenes between Tony and Camela just sitting in the house together and being so uncomfortable when everything is quiet.

I had done a slow re-watch from like the last July to this February or so, then started to listen to the podcast around May or whatever.  Now started up again with season 2.  I will say that listening to the podcast and the scene-by-scene progression has certainly let me make additional connections across characters and situations that I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I also am getting pretty unsympathetic to Carmela.  I think that the first time around, I might not have thought that much about it and just kind of thought she was annoying.  Then the next few times, I certainly recognized on her ongoing conflicts, but generally felt like she was somewhat strong and just in a really tough situation.  But this time around, I really don't have that much sympathy for her.  She strong-arms Cusumano's sister, forgets about her anger because Tony gives her a fur coat, etc.  Maybe I'm seeing it a little differently since I skipped season 1 this time.

For some reason, this post reminded me of early in S1 when Livia's kitchen catches on fire and Tony calls Carmela to have her rush over there to check on her.  "Thank you, baby, I know you're busy," Tony says to Carmela, who was sitting there doing her nails. :lol:

Just finished season 2 episode 8. The Jacket!! LOL

Listening to the podcast and they mentioned a hand on Tony's shoulder in the final scene. Who's hand is that? Podcast did not really know but was guessing Ritchie. I can't tell but the way its edited I'm not so sure it's Ritchie. In the long run it does not matter but I would like to know. It's the final scene in the hospital room with Christopher.

I find Ritchies love and Tony's indifference to the jacket to be hilarious. Ritchie saved it like it was the football from a high school game he threw the winning pass in.

2 hours ago, prosopis said:

Just finished season 2 episode 8. The Jacket!! LOL

Listening to the podcast and they mentioned a hand on Tony's shoulder in the final scene. Who's hand is that? Podcast did not really know but was guessing Ritchie. I can't tell but the way its edited I'm not so sure it's Ritchie. In the long run it does not matter but I would like to know. It's the final scene in the hospital room with Christopher.

I find Ritchies love and Tony's indifference to the jacket to be hilarious. Ritchie saved it like it was the football from a high school game he threw the winning pass in.

I think it was Richie.  it looks like the coat he wore earlier in the episode

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/tsopjaacket-cl-jkt1.jpg?w=350&h=350

https://sopranosautopsy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/how-could-this-happen.jpg

Edited by NewlyRetired

3 hours ago, prosopis said:

I still laugh at Tony in that coat.  Rocco Demaio had great style.  Toughest guy in Essex county which is probably why Ritchie gave Tony the jaaaacket.  He was planning to take him out.   

10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am sold, thanks. Seems like he got there pretty quick after that kid fessed up about doing it. 

Such a good show.

1 minute ago, prosopis said:

I am sold, thanks. Seems like he got there pretty quick after that kid fessed up about doing it. 

Such a good show.

Richie might not have liked Chrissy and his big nose, but he is old school and knew that those two little pissants went way over the line by going after a guy in Tony's crew.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Richie might not have liked Chrissy and his big nose, but he is old school and knew that those two little pissants went way over the line by going after a guy in Tony's crew.

Did you ever notice he's the only motherf'r who can smoke a cigarette in the rain with his hands tied behind his back? That nose is like a natural canopy.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

One of the more underrated evil things Tony ever did was trolling Janice at dinner about her kid when she had started getting her anger under control by going to anger management classes.  Being so jealous that he couldn't do the same and to intentionally bait her in to breaking was just brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

One of the more underrated evil things Tony ever did was trolling Janice at dinner about her kid when she had started getting her anger under control by going to anger management classes.  Being so jealous that he couldn't do the same and to intentionally bait her in to breaking was just brutal.

:hifive:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/311633-☞-official-sopranos-thread/?do=findComment&comment=13898890

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

I assume you're all listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast. It's great. Hosted by Christopher and Bobby. Lots of good interviews with the actors, writers, and directors and lots of fun factoids to be learned. Like, for example, did you know that Paulie and Bobby were on Sesame Street one time? Because I sure didn't...

On 10/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, AAABatteries said:

It was good to see that Tony finally got "his". But of course we never saw it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, UncleZen said:

I just finished another re-watch and the last episode got me thinking. So let's just assume Tony is killed. Who takes over as the Boss now?

I think the whole crew gets disbanded or folded into another operation. Maybe the NY crews take over. Tony's gang was kind of small potatoes in the big picture.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shades said:

I think the whole crew gets disbanded or folded into another operation. Maybe the NY crews take over. Tony's gang was kind of small potatoes in the big picture.

Very possible.  Paulie would have been the most senor and most powerful man standing, and he was always a little fearful of NY, so I think he would have been okay with being absorbed into another crew.  He didn't want to take over Carlo's crew anyway until Tony guilted him into it, so at his age and despite his tough guy mentality, he probably would want as little tension as possible. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Very possible.  Paulie would have been the most senor and most powerful man standing, and he was always a little fearful of NY, so I think he would have been okay with being absorbed into another crew.  He didn't want to take over Carlo's crew anyway until Tony guilted him into it, so at his age and despite his tough guy mentality, he probably would want as little tension as possible. 

Yeah, Paulie is probably highest-ranking, but, also, least commanding of loyalty by the rest of the guys. I can't see the majority of them putting up with his antics and weirdness. He'd either get fragged by his own guy or eliminated by the NY bosses.

8 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I just finished another re-watch and the last episode got me thinking. So let's just assume Tony is killed. Who takes over as the Boss now?

If Tony Soprano was killed in that restaurant, then it means the hit was ordered by Butchie DeConcini, the de facto head of the Lupertazzi family after Phil Leotardo was executed. A hit on a head of a NY family can't go unanswered. That's the point plotwise that makes little sense, as Tony being relatively smart about tactics, would see that in order to pull off a hit on Leotardo and survive, would need a fall guy other than himself.

Any new DiMeo family boss would need to be acceptable to NY and the Lupertazzi family.

The remaining ranking long time caporegime in NJ is Larry Barese, who would be made boss, and because he was in prison, his brother, Albert Barese, defacto capo of the largest surviving crew and the defacto largest earning crew that survived to the end, would be street boss.

Patsy Parisi's son would be marrying Meadow Soprano, so NY would see that as too close to elevate him, even though Tony had Patsy's twin brother killed. Also Patsy was a soldier in Tony's old crew under Paulie. NY would want someone without any lingering association that close to Tony or Paulie

Paulie Walnuts only had Barone Sanitation left as his money making machine. He wasn't a good earner and he wasn't respected without Tony behind him. He survived because he was loyal and served under Tony's father and Tony spent the entire show basically protecting him from himself. NY would never allow him to become boss with his temper and limitations

Silvio Dante, if he survived the hospital after the shooting, would be forced into retirement like Uncle Pat. He was seen as too loyal to Tony and NY would want no further bloodshed to trigger more violence. Silvio was not the family muscle so NY would not be threatened by him in a weakened state.

Albert Barese is the right choice for NY. He showed contempt for Tony throughout the show but stayed in the background to protect his older brother, not wanting to rock the boat. He knew Tony and the others were a mess and just stayed out of it. He wouldn't respect Paulie nor Patsy nor a weakened Silvio and wouldn't have to with the largest crew and the remaining biggest earners. He's just smart enough to know he's not smart enough to overreach with his ego and go on a power trip.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UncleZen said:

I think we get a preview when Tony was in the coma and how the crew reacted.   Granted, a lot of that team has been killed but fairly certain we'll see similar outcomes and power struggles.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GordonGekko said:

If Tony Soprano was killed in that restaurant, then it means the hit was ordered by Butchie DeConcini, the de facto head of the Lupertazzi family after Phil Leotardo was executed. A hit on a head of a NY family can't go unanswered. That's the point plotwise that makes little sense, as Tony being relatively smart about tactics, would see that in order to pull off a hit on Leotardo and survive, would need a fall guy other than himself.

Any new DiMeo family boss would need to be acceptable to NY and the Lupertazzi family.

The remaining ranking long time caporegime in NJ is Larry Barese, who would be made boss, and because he was in prison, his brother, Albert Barese, defacto capo of the largest surviving crew and the defacto largest earning crew that survived to the end, would be street boss.

Patsy Parisi's son would be marrying Meadow Soprano, so NY would see that as too close to elevate him, even though Tony had Patsy's twin brother killed. Also Patsy was a soldier in Tony's old crew under Paulie. NY would want someone without any lingering association that close to Tony or Paulie

Paulie Walnuts only had Barone Sanitation left as his money making machine. He wasn't a good earner and he wasn't respected without Tony behind him. He survived because he was loyal and served under Tony's father and Tony spent the entire show basically protecting him from himself. NY would never allow him to become boss with his temper and limitations

Silvio Dante, if he survived the hospital after the shooting, would be forced into retirement like Uncle Pat. He was seen as too loyal to Tony and NY would want no further bloodshed to trigger more violence. Silvio was not the family muscle so NY would not be threatened by him in a weakened state.

Albert Barese is the right choice for NY. He showed contempt for Tony throughout the show but stayed in the background to protect his older brother, not wanting to rock the boat. He knew Tony and the others were a mess and just stayed out of it. He wouldn't respect Paulie nor Patsy nor a weakened Silvio and wouldn't have to with the largest crew and the remaining biggest earners. He's just smart enough to know he's not smart enough to overreach with his ego and go on a power trip.

I agree that Butchi would be the one behind the hit.... but Tony did the get the "go ahead" from Butchie.  Tony is Butchie's fall guy.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just here to pimp Talking Sopranos podcast again. It's great. Hosted by Christopher and Bobby. Lots of good interviews with the actors, writers, and directors and lots of fun factoids to be learned. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Just here to pimp Talking Sopranos podcast again. It's great. Hosted by Christopher and Bobby. Lots of good interviews with the actors, writers, and directors and lots of fun factoids to be learned. 

Is Imperioli giving a history lesson yet on the Cuban Missile Crisis?

• Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 2:07 AM, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Paulie's pronunciation of Sun Tzu and his reference to him as the Chinese Prince Matchiabelli doesn't get near the accolades as "remember Pearl Harbor" and "the sixteen Czechoslovakians", but it's an under the radar great malapropism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YonukB9yPAs

Just watched this last night on only my second rewatch.

Another great one from a few episodes ago:

Paulie: That's what happened to the dinosaurs

Woman: I thought it was a meteor

Paulie: They're all meat eaters!

:lmao: 

9 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Is Imperioli giving a history lesson yet on the Cuban Missile Crisis?

I'd pay good money to hear Little Carmine do this

Edited by Major
  • Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, jdoggydogg said:

I second this. I am listening and re watching, one episode a week. I love it. I am curious to see Tony and Christopher look over a cliff now that I know they were drunk enough that they had chains around them so they wouldn't go over. This is also the episode where Tony kills Ralphie. It's been many years since I saw it but I remember being really impressed with the fight realism. 

7 hours ago, prosopis said:

I second this. I am listening and re watching, one episode a week. I love it. I am curious to see Tony and Christopher look over a cliff now that I know they were drunk enough that they had chains around them so they wouldn't go over. This is also the episode where Tony kills Ralphie. It's been many years since I saw it but I remember being really impressed with the fight realism. 

Yeah, the fight seemed very realistic. Made you think Joe Pantaliano really had a chance.

5 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

Yeah, the fight seemed very realistic. Made you think Joe Pantaliano really had a chance.

If Ralphie had connected with that frying pan the same way Patricia Arquette in True Romance connected with the lid of the toilet tank, the fight might have played out differently. 

• Like 3