Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Sopranos movie prequel in the works according to David Chase

Seeing this thread bumped reminded me, I picked up the Sopranos in the middle of season 2. I'd just moved to LA and friends I hung out with used to have viewing parties so that was my introduction. It

Just started a rewatch for the first time since it originally aired. I rarely rewatch stuff but am really enjoying it.

Bodie from The Wire sighting when they hijacked that truck and accidentally killed the driver.

4 hours ago, jamny said:

Just started a rewatch for the first time since it originally aired. I rarely rewatch stuff but am really enjoying it.

Bodie from The Wire sighting when they hijacked that truck and accidentally killed the driver.

Yeah, the show has great rewatch value.  I really appreciated the comedic elements on my second watch.  Omar coming in a season or two

• Like 1
Just now, Ghost Rider said:

When I do Sopranos re-watches, I limit myself to four episodes a day.

That is what I want to do but I decided to follow the Talking Sopranos podcast schedule. It has added to the whole thing. Some pretty cool stuff. This last episode had Lorraine Bracco on as a guest. I was really surprised that she sounds crazy. She said she got a lot of Dr Melphi from her own personal experience with two psychiatrist and being on meds herself. Its hard to explain but the way she talks and laughs you can just tell she is nuts. Having said that good for her for doing something about her mental issues. Interesting to hear that she had a thing with Harvey Keitel.

The episode before this Michael Imperiolli mentions some of the worst extras you will ever see. I don't remember noticing it when I first saw it but it does stick out like a sore thumb. I am surprised it got through on such a detailed show. It was the two young men in the brothel. 

I am also impressed with Imperiolli's knowledge of film history. 

1 hour ago, prosopis said:

That is what I want to do but I decided to follow the Talking Sopranos podcast schedule. It has added to the whole thing. Some pretty cool stuff. This last episode had Lorraine Bracco on as a guest. I was really surprised that she sounds crazy. She said she got a lot of Dr Melphi from her own personal experience with two psychiatrist and being on meds herself. Its hard to explain but the way she talks and laughs you can just tell she is nuts. Having said that good for her for doing something about her mental issues. Interesting to hear that she had a thing with Harvey Keitel.

The episode before this Michael Imperiolli mentions some of the worst extras you will ever see. I don't remember noticing it when I first saw it but it does stick out like a sore thumb. I am surprised it got through on such a detailed show. It was the two young men in the brothel. 

I am also impressed with Imperiolli's knowledge of film history. 

Which episode?   You said brothel, which makes me think of the Big Girls Don't Cry episode when Furio beats the crap out of the owner and his wife at the brothel, after Chris had visited them at the beginning, but I don't remember two extras standing out.

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Which episode?   You said brothel, which makes me think of the Big Girls Don't Cry episode when Furio beats the crap out of the owner and his wife at the brothel, after Chris had visited them at the beginning, but I don't remember two extras standing out.

Thats the one.

He said their cue must have been to get up after Christopher walks by. You can see them anticipating the cue and they are real awkward as they walk across the room and both start talking to the same girl. It's very odd and unnatural looking.

19 hours ago, prosopis said:

Thats the one.

He said their cue must have been to get up after Christopher walks by. You can see them anticipating the cue and they are real awkward as they walk across the room and both start talking to the same girl. It's very odd and unnatural looking.

I just watched it again and remembered it.  It was kind of awkward, but not as terrible as I would have thought based on what you said Imperioli said.

3 minutes ago, jamny said:

Is Talking Sopranos the youtube one that just started this year or a podcast?

Thinking about checking it out as I'm rewatching now.

I listen to it in my car but I do think it is on youtube.

A very interesting thing upon rewatch is seeing the similarities between Tony's mom and my MiL. My wife doesn't have a great relationship with her mom and it's a chore to visit or even call her. Almost everything Livia says is similar to her, especially with how she talks about her husband now that he has passed. They did nothing but argue but now he's a saint.

It's good to have a reference to give people an idea of what she's like.

2 minutes ago, jamny said:

A very interesting thing upon rewatch is seeing the similarities between Tony's mom and my MiL. My wife doesn't have a great relationship with her mom and it's a chore to visit or even call her. Almost everything Livia says is similar to her, especially with how she talks about her husband now that he has passed. They did nothing but argue but now he's a saint.

It's good to have a reference to give people an idea of what she's like.

According to the podcast Livia was based on David Chase's mother. :lol:

• Laughing 1

interesting in the big girls don't cry podcast ep where Schirripa mentions that Carmela is always doing something, always cooking or cleaning or doing this or that, never just sitting down and resting.  which i think actually might correlate to what Melfi later says to Tony about having alexithymia and can never stop moving so that he doesn't have to reflect on his abhorrent behavior.  And for Carmela, it's pretty much the same thing, especially when we consider her ongoing struggles with the "morality" of their lifestyle.  And this tension I think is really indicated  when they have those scenes between Tony and Camela just sitting in the house together and being so uncomfortable when everything is quiet.

I had done a slow re-watch from like the last July to this February or so, then started to listen to the podcast around May or whatever.  Now started up again with season 2.  I will say that listening to the podcast and the scene-by-scene progression has certainly let me make additional connections across characters and situations that I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I also am getting pretty unsympathetic to Carmela.  I think that the first time around, I might not have thought that much about it and just kind of thought she was annoying.  Then the next few times, I certainly recognized on her ongoing conflicts, but generally felt like she was somewhat strong and just in a really tough situation.  But this time around, I really don't have that much sympathy for her.  She strong-arms Cusumano's sister, forgets about her anger because Tony gives her a fur coat, etc.  Maybe I'm seeing it a little differently since I skipped season 1 this time.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

interesting in the big girls don't cry podcast ep where Schirripa mentions that Carmela is always doing something, always cooking or cleaning or doing this or that, never just sitting down and resting.  which i think actually might correlate to what Melfi later says to Tony about having alexithymia and can never stop moving so that he doesn't have to reflect on his abhorrent behavior.  And for Carmela, it's pretty much the same thing, especially when we consider her ongoing struggles with the "morality" of their lifestyle.  And this tension I think is really indicated  when they have those scenes between Tony and Camela just sitting in the house together and being so uncomfortable when everything is quiet.

I had done a slow re-watch from like the last July to this February or so, then started to listen to the podcast around May or whatever.  Now started up again with season 2.  I will say that listening to the podcast and the scene-by-scene progression has certainly let me make additional connections across characters and situations that I hadn't fully appreciated before.  I also am getting pretty unsympathetic to Carmela.  I think that the first time around, I might not have thought that much about it and just kind of thought she was annoying.  Then the next few times, I certainly recognized on her ongoing conflicts, but generally felt like she was somewhat strong and just in a really tough situation.  But this time around, I really don't have that much sympathy for her.  She strong-arms Cusumano's sister, forgets about her anger because Tony gives her a fur coat, etc.  Maybe I'm seeing it a little differently since I skipped season 1 this time.

For some reason, this post reminded me of early in S1 when Livia's kitchen catches on fire and Tony calls Carmela to have her rush over there to check on her.  "Thank you, baby, I know you're busy," Tony says to Carmela, who was sitting there doing her nails. :lol:

38 minutes ago, Raider Nation said:

Explain to me how Tony made $80K at the executive card game. ("The Happy Wanderer", episode 2.6)

The house usually rakes between 2.5% and 10% on poker.

It was 5k per seat, per guy. A little bit more for the rake, 10% when they're playing 600/1200 bets for two straight days adds up. Then, is he counting the vig on loans? He made a bit extra off of the terminator I'm sure.

"We were talking one day about how credit card companies work their angle. They didn't care what you bought, if you don't pay all at once. They juice you, you thank them for letting you have a card. You'd rather be juiced than pay at once. That's a certain kind of player. That's why we call it the executive game."

If the average pot is $5000, and they're taking a 5% rake, that's $250 per hand. Say it's a super-slow six minutes per hand. 10 hands per hour. $2500 per hour. For a full 24 hour day, that's 60 grand. Four guys paying for their seats (I assume Sil and Vito play for free) is the 80 G's right there. 

On 7/1/2020 at 7:03 PM, mr roboto said:

I literally just started this show for the first time. S1E4 right now. 

Whoa. 

Just finished a crazy run of episodes. Kid with the arrow/Ralphie/the horse followed by Chris into rehab.  And Carmela and the Italian heating up.  

Edited by mr roboto
  • Like 1

Just finished season 2 episode 8. The Jacket!! LOL

Listening to the podcast and they mentioned a hand on Tony's shoulder in the final scene. Who's hand is that? Podcast did not really know but was guessing Ritchie. I can't tell but the way its edited I'm not so sure it's Ritchie. In the long run it does not matter but I would like to know. It's the final scene in the hospital room with Christopher.

I find Ritchies love and Tony's indifference to the jacket to be hilarious. Ritchie saved it like it was the football from a high school game he threw the winning pass in.

2 hours ago, prosopis said:

Just finished season 2 episode 8. The Jacket!! LOL

Listening to the podcast and they mentioned a hand on Tony's shoulder in the final scene. Who's hand is that? Podcast did not really know but was guessing Ritchie. I can't tell but the way its edited I'm not so sure it's Ritchie. In the long run it does not matter but I would like to know. It's the final scene in the hospital room with Christopher.

I find Ritchies love and Tony's indifference to the jacket to be hilarious. Ritchie saved it like it was the football from a high school game he threw the winning pass in.

I think it was Richie.  it looks like the coat he wore earlier in the episode

https://bamfstyle.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/tsopjaacket-cl-jkt1.jpg?w=350&h=350

https://sopranosautopsy.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/how-could-this-happen.jpg

Edited by NewlyRetired
3 hours ago, prosopis said:

I still laugh at Tony in that coat.  Rocco Demaio had great style.  Toughest guy in Essex county which is probably why Ritchie gave Tony the jaaaacket.  He was planning to take him out.   

9 hours ago, Major said:

I still laugh at Tony in that coat.  Rocco Demaio had great style.  Toughest guy in Essex county which is probably why Ritchie gave Tony the jaaaacket.  He was planning to take him out.   

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1141565550109298688?s=20

10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am sold, thanks. Seems like he got there pretty quick after that kid fessed up about doing it. 

Such a good show.

1 minute ago, prosopis said:

I am sold, thanks. Seems like he got there pretty quick after that kid fessed up about doing it. 

Such a good show.

Richie might not have liked Chrissy and his big nose, but he is old school and knew that those two little pissants went way over the line by going after a guy in Tony's crew.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Richie might not have liked Chrissy and his big nose, but he is old school and knew that those two little pissants went way over the line by going after a guy in Tony's crew.

Did you ever notice he's the only motherf'r who can smoke a cigarette in the rain with his hands tied behind his back? That nose is like a natural canopy.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

One of the more underrated evil things Tony ever did was trolling Janice at dinner about her kid when she had started getting her anger under control by going to anger management classes.  Being so jealous that he couldn't do the same and to intentionally bait her in to breaking was just brutal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AAABatteries said:

One of the more underrated evil things Tony ever did was trolling Janice at dinner about her kid when she had started getting her anger under control by going to anger management classes.  Being so jealous that he couldn't do the same and to intentionally bait her in to breaking was just brutal.

:hifive:

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/311633-☞-official-sopranos-thread/?do=findComment&comment=13898890

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

I assume you're all listening to the Talking Sopranos podcast. It's great. Hosted by Christopher and Bobby. Lots of good interviews with the actors, writers, and directors and lots of fun factoids to be learned. Like, for example, did you know that Paulie and Bobby were on Sesame Street one time? Because I sure didn't...

On 10/2/2020 at 5:15 PM, AAABatteries said:

It was good to see that Tony finally got "his". But of course we never saw it.