Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tony Soprano : [over the phone]  It's a bad connection, so I'm gonna talk fast! The guy you're looking for is an ex-commando! He killed sixteen Chechen rebels single-handed! Paulie 'Walnuts' Gual

Could have used more Furio before they wrote him out. His first scene in America collecting at the brothel was insane. up in the club cracks me up every time.

4 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

dead.

I hear you. But she ended up dead, anyway. So this gave her a shot. 

4 hours ago, Major said:

Tony operates on a double standard with his Fed dealings. Unless she's a farm animal or some sort of pet, I don't see him offering any support or understanding.  

Noted. 

3 hours ago, Barry said:

I could be wrong but Ade doesn't really know anything. in your scenario she gets arrested than tells Tony they want her to spy. Why would he kill her?

Meaning, you think Tony would have helped her out?

3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

It's still hilarious how badly he got played by Johnny Sack. 

Johnny Sack played Paulie like a rented piano. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

At least Johnny didn't stick his beak in.  It’s like Sun-Tuh-Zoo says: a good leader is benevolent and unconcerned with fame. 

Edited by Major
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

I was re-watching Long Term Parking and reflecting on the Adriana murder. Probably the most traumatic murder in the show's history, in my opinion.

It's a rough outcome but the murder is off screen.

Tracee is the one I can't sit through on re-watches.

That one and Melfi's rape in Employee of the Month.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Meaning, you think Tony would have helped her out?

I think he would of helped as much as he would any made guys wife/girlfriend. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Johnny Sack was always one of my favorites. 

9 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I have never watched the Melfi rape scene a second time. And never will. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Major said:

At least Johnny didn't stick his beak in.  It’s like Sun-Tuh-Zoo says: a good leader is benevolent and unconcerned with fame. 

Funny, because Johnny Sack totally did stick his beak in.

8 hours ago, BobbyLayne said:

Yeah, I always fast-forward through the Tracee murder. 

8 hours ago, Barry said:

I think he would of helped as much as he would any made guys wife/girlfriend. 

I agree.

8 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Johnny Sack was always one of my favorites. 

I have never watched the Melfi rape scene a second time. And never will. 

Sack was the best. And yeah, I cannot ever watch the Melfi rape scene ever again. 

On 5/7/2021 at 5:53 PM, jdoggydogg said:

Funny, because Johnny Sack totally did stick his beak in.

I always liked the moments where the old school guys showed respect for the rules, like when Johnny Sack was letting Ralph vent to him about the Tony feud.  He was more than willing to let him vent, but pushed back the instant Ralph said Tony wasn't leaving him a lot of options.  Or later on when Tony was in the coma and Vito said how he wasn't thrilled about giving Tony's cut to Carmela in case he died and Phil advised against it.  As hypocritical as all of those wise guys could be, I liked those moments of respecting the rules, even they all did bend them more than the Catholic Church. ;) 

• Like 3
On 5/8/2021 at 7:24 PM, Ghost Rider said:

I always liked the moments where the old school guys showed respect for the rules, like when Johnny Sack was letting Ralph vent to him about the Tony feud.  He was more than willing to let him vent, but pushed back the instant Ralph said Tony wasn't leaving him a lot of options.  Or later on when Tony was in the coma and Vito said how he wasn't thrilled about giving Tony's cut to Carmela in case he died and Phil advised against it.  As hypocritical as all of those wise guys could be, I liked those moments of respecting the rules, even they all did bend them more than the Catholic Church. ;) 

Agree. When Tony is at the sit down with Carmine and Johhny Sack, and Sack is complaining about Ralphie, Tony says, "Someone in MY family is talking to New York? I'm the one that should have the beef," and Uncle Junior on the phone replies, "My nephew's right."

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

I like how Junior puts on a shirt and tie to do the sit-down over the phone.

:hifive:

Yet another detail proving The Sopranos was the best. 

43 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

'That Korean...Kim...something about your cousin."

wes callwel wes callwel

wesTtt CALD-well

• Like 1

How about best Tony/Carmela arguments? 

The two from Whitecaps are clearly 1a and 1b.

Even though Chasing It isn’t a great episode, that was an awesome scene. Tony just won’t let go of the bird feeder thing. :lol: 

I also liked the one after Irena called and Tony told Carm that she tried to commit suicide.  “She said she didn’t want to go on without me, the poor kid.” :lmao: 

12 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

The two from Whitecaps are clearly 1a and 1b.

Even though Chasing It isn’t a great episode, that was an awesome scene. Tony just won’t let go of the bird feeder thing. :lol: 

I also liked the one after Irena called and Tony told Carm that she tried to commit suicide.  “She said she didn’t want to go on without me, the poor kid.” :lmao: 

I'm supposed to get a vasectomy when this is my male heir?

• Like 1

Bit off-topic but want to share an oblique brush with James Gandolfini's generosity.

He took a lot of people along for the ride, hooking up bit actors from his past with roles (Chase of course had total control but I'm sure it didn't hurt when the lead says "he's a friend of mine.") The cast rode the rock star wave hard for all its worth and who can blame them, it was a once in a lifetime gig.

But JG did a lot of quiet work that never got on E! or TMZ. At the Brooklyn VA he often donated to different programs. He sent over enough tickets to Jersey Boys that everyone in the PTSD program was able to go with a +1 for their wives, girlfriends, et al. He also personally called our program director and asked if there was anything else he could do to help out.

I'm sure people sometimes leave out any harsh stories from the Talking Sopranos podcast bc he passed, but it's been 100% from guests so far - he always looked out for everybody. Asking actors with small roles (and no pull with the director or Chase) "Did you get everything you wanted out of that? You want another take, we can do that." Remembered the names of the crew. Invited guys who weren't in the inner circle to come out for drinks. Dude was a total mensch.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

My favorite has to be: 

"This says 'pulp.' I like 'some pulp.'"
(Carmella throws the phone at Tony)

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
2 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

My favorite has to be: 

"This says 'pulp.' I like 'some pulp.'"
(Carmella throws the phone at Tony)

Carmela never did make that list for Tony about what she was pissed about. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Carmela never did make that list for Tony about what she was pissed about. 

"If I had an ounce of self-respect I'd cut your #### off."

8 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

"If I had an ounce of self-respect I'd cut your #### off."

The best part about that is how Tony just slowly crawls back into bed face down and doesn't even verbally respond. :lol: 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Yep, by all accounts, Gandolfini was a great, great human being. And an incredible actor as a bonus. 

Yea I’m not a guy who spends much time thinking about celebrities but I’m truly bummed he’s gone. Every time I see this thread I think about it actually. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Yep, by all accounts, Gandolfini was a great, great human being. And an incredible actor as a bonus. 

In the re-watches I find Gandolfini's small scenes offer a broad demonstration of his enormous talent. Like that half second flinch he gives when he tries not to laugh as Johnny Sack repeats Ralphie's joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Woca12Educ&t=88s

.....that's deplorable.  

Edited by Encyclopedia Brown
  • Like 3

Talking Sopranos won a Webby Award for Podcast of the Year or some ####.

Webby Award? You're supposed to pushing Webistics!

*Best Podcast in Television and Film was the category, though actually the only news I could find about it was the posts Steve and Michael made about it. Therefore I'm not really sure this thing actually exists.

There is no mafia!

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Two episodes into s4 and I cant believe that Will Arnett pops up. 

There are times when I don't grasp what is going on with their money making schemes. the construction site venture is one. No shows ? everyone is hanging out in the parking lot. ? 

Edited by Barry
Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 6:01 PM, Barry said:

Two episodes into s4 and I cant believe that Will Arnett pops up. 

There are times when I don't grasp what is going on with their money making schemes. the construction site venture is one. No shows ? everyone is hanging out in the parking lot. ? 

Not that I have seen Arnett in a lot of stuff, but I never realized that that was him playing the husband of Danielle (or whatever the #### her name was). 

If I am not mistaken, the guys hanging out at the construction site and getting paid...those are no work jobs, meaning they get paid for it and do not have to work, but have to physically be there.  A no show means you get paid for it and don't even have to be there (similar to what Nice Guy Eddie and Joe were setting up for Mr. Blonde in Reservoir Dogs to get his asshead P.O. off his back). 

Edited by Ghost Rider

s4 . I don't like Uncle June getting dementia. His body breaking down is one thing but him losing his mind is a waste of a great character. Does Chase hate children?  Meadow and AJ were so unlikable. Meadow's transition from spoiled brat to mature adult was pretty sudden. Chris has no redeemable qualities. It's hard to understand why Ade stuck with him. Pauly slugging him at intervention was awesome. The fight where Carm ends up telling Tony about her Furio infatuation was the highlight of the season. Does every Artie scene have to make him look so pathetic. 

On 5/18/2021 at 8:02 AM, BobbyLayne said:

I'm supposed to get a vasectomy when this is my male heir?

To AJ's credit, while he was an idiot with zero common sense, there were many times when he would just go silent. Whereas Meadow would just not shut up. You could see AJ was a spoiled idiot but you could understand he had zero malice in his heart. He was not out to hurt anyone. Meadow however knew the difference in her behavior and just didn't care. She was vicious to the bone.

Finn might have lucked out. He got some of Meadows best years and didn't have to end up being saddled with her in a marriage like the Parisi kid.

I believe the methodology behind AJ and Meadow by Chase is that even if they were kids to an entirely different family, that they would still be the same horrible people. If you really look at the Livia character, the theme seems to be that family is a tax and that your family will make you suffer and it's inevitable. Nancy Marchand's character is based off of Chase's own upbringing so I think part of it was bringing comedy to immense pain.

The Sopranos is about two separate families  ( think about the College episode where Tony looks at the plaque that says a man who carries two faces to the world will soon not be able to recognize the difference between the two)  and neither of them matter in the end. All of the central characters were truly alone. In the end, they had no one. And they all needed someone, anyone, to bring something positive in their lives.

I don't feel bad for any of the characters. I feel bad for David Chase. This all was a testimony of how he had to grow up in toxic pain and survive. At least to that, I can relate. He's rich and famous sure but I have FU money myself and I can tell you no amount of money is worth growing up like that.

10 hours ago, Barry said:

s4 . I don't like Uncle June getting dementia. His body breaking down is one thing but him losing his mind is a waste of a great character. Does Chase hate children?  Meadow and AJ were so unlikable. Meadow's transition from spoiled brat to mature adult was pretty sudden. Chris has no redeemable qualities. It's hard to understand why Ade stuck with him. Pauly slugging him at intervention was awesome. The fight where Carm ends up telling Tony about her Furio infatuation was the highlight of the season. Does every Artie scene have to make him look so pathetic. 

To touch on some of these points...

I thought the same thing about Uncle Junior the first run through.  I hated seeing such a great character becoming what he became, but on the re-watches, it is fascinating as heck.  Chianese does a fabulous job throughout. 

As much as many thought Ade was a good person sucked into the bad world of the mob, she was more like Carmela than many realize. She was all about the life and all of the excess that came with it. 

Artie was not a bad guy, but he was not a tough guy by any means, and being so close to Tony probably gave him a feeling of artificial toughness at times, but that masquerade was always easy to tear down. 

The portrayal of both Meadow and AJ was very realistic.  Meadow became more and more like Tony as time went on, and AJ became more and more like Carmela.  

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

As much as many thought Ade was a good person sucked into the bad world of the mob, she was more like Carmela than many realize. She was all about the life and all of the excess that came with it. 

The portrayal of both Meadow and AJ was very realistic.  Meadow became more and more like Tony as time went on, and AJ became more and more like Carmela.  

Was Carm a bad person? We met her when she was the mom of two teenagers. Up to now, s4, I don't think she's happy with the life and excess.

The Soprano kids were awful. We'll see how they mature but I'm not seeing or remembering any parallels between AJ and Carm. Will keep an eye on that as I continue. 

The sister who shall not be named is exactly how I remember her, and not worth mentioning.

Posted (edited)

Carm was a bad person because she was well aware of Tony's life and preferred to enjoy the largesse while turning a blind eye to his thuggery. Its clear in the scene where Tony comes running in telling her that the FBI is about to raid their home and they have to start hiding things and she knows where all the secret stashes of the jewels and the money and everything else are. She ain't no spring chicken and she ain't no dummy, she knew where all that came from and how Tony was able to come by it

Edited by Joe Schmo
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Joe Schmo said:

Carm was a bad person because she was well aware of Tony's life and preferred to enjoy the largesse while turning a blind eye to his thuggery. Its clear in the scene where Tony comes running in telling her that the FBI is about to raid their home and they have to start hiding things and she knows where all the secret stashes of the jewels and the money and everything else are. She ain't no spring chicken and she ain't no dummy, she knew where all that came from and how Tony was able to come by it

Bingo. 

The episode in Season 2 when she basically intimidated her neighbor's twin sister into writing a letter of recommendation to Georgetown for Meadow is not something a good person does.  I think she wanted to be a better person, but all of the luxuries that came with the life were too powerful for her to get past.  I mean, she only really had issues with Tony's extracurricular activities when she couldn't ignore them, like finding the fingernail or Irina calling the house.  Otherwise, she had no issues taking the "I will look the other way" approach. 

Was she as bad as Tony or the other mob guys, all of whom were sociopaths?  No, but there are levels to this. Ade was not a good person either, yet many fans acted she was the poor innocent lady who got victimized and betrayed her her mob boyfriend, when she was just as complicit as Carmela always was.

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ghost Rider said:

Otherwise, she had no issues taking the "I will look the other way" approach. 

Early in the series, there is a scene but I forget who she is talking to (Father Phil I think) in where she says something like she viewed the other women as nothing more than a form a masturbation for Tony.  It was only when Tony lied about Dr Melfi being a guy that she got upset at least up until the point Irina calls the house.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, Joe Schmo said:

this comes across beautifully in the scene where she talks to the psychiatrist and he tells her flat out that she is not innocent in all of this.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

this comes across beautifully in the scene where she talks to the psychiatrist and he tells her flat out that she is not innocent in all of this.

“So enabler would be a better description of you than accomplice. My apologies.”

• Like 2

How many people own the compete series?

I’m not (& never have been) a DVD guy, and it makes zero sense today when we can stream everything we want on demand.

HOWEVER

I was looking at the various options for a rewatch. Looks like Prime wants $1.99 or episode or $19.99 for a season. Neither makes any sense. I could stream on Hulu Premium ($11.99/mo) or HBO Max ($14.99.) I already have Netflix and Prime, that’s enough for us.

Would I actually binge all 86 episodes? Yes. How long would it take? I don’t think I’d do a steady, nightly diet. I’d binge for a few days and then need a few days or a week break. Plus it’s summer and things are happening again, so I’ll be busy with social things or weekend getaways. Thinking it would take 3 months, minimum.

So Amazon Prime had a limited time offer to get the blu-ray edition/director’s cut dialogue thingy for $74. Think it’s normally priced around $120+. I ordered it. I have never bought a complete series / box set of anything.

Arrives today. Might rewatch Season 1 over the next 3 days.

I’m a babbling idiot.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

I’m a babbling idiot.

Livia was awful, but had so many awesome lines that still make me laugh. 

'I'm not dead yet, unfortunately for some." 

After Carmela asks what she said to drive away the live-in nurse, "I know how to talk to people!" (yeah, sure :lol: )

And of course at dinner after Tony said he wasn't in the mood for her chiding, "Oh, aren't we Mr. Sensitive." :lmao: 

Re-watching for at least the 10th time. One of my favorite scenes comes in season two, end of an episode. They’re all around satriale’s shooting the ####, watching a car accident and agent Harris and an fbi buddy come up to talk to Tony about the Nets. #### is standing there looking on, and then is the only one who walks back inside. 

The subtlety was always so great. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Capella said:

Re-watching for at least the 10th time. One of my favorite scenes comes in season two, end of an episode. They’re all around satriale’s shooting the ####, watching a car accident and agent Harris and an fbi buddy come up to talk to Tony about the Nets. #### is standing there looking on, and then is the only one who walks back inside. 

The subtlety was always so great. 

Definitely a great ending.  The seeds being planted for the Tony/Harris connection were still in the early stages, but they were there.  And it looks like the agent with Harris (who likely knows he is a rat) looked right at Sal as the camera starts to pull back as Tony and Harris start chatting, which makes me think Sal got nervous about someone noticing any kind of interaction or recognition between him and an agent which is why he went back inside.  Great subtle stuff for sure. 

Edited by Ghost Rider
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Livia was awful, but had so many awesome lines that still make me laugh. 

'I'm not dead yet, unfortunately for some." 

After Carmela asks what she said to drive away the live-in nurse, "I know how to talk to people!" (yeah, sure :lol: )

And of course at dinner after Tony said he wasn't in the mood for her chiding, "Oh, aren't we Mr. Sensitive." :lmao: 

Nancy Marchand was awesome.

“Oh, you know everything”   
“I wish the Lord would take me now”   
“Daughters are better at taking care of their mothers than sons” 
“Somebody called here last night ... You think I’d answer, it was dark out!”   
“I don’t like that kind of talk. It upsets me.”

The writers gave Livia and Junior so many great lines.