What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (6 Viewers)

BobbyLayne said:
Nancy Marchand was awesome.

“Oh, you know everything”   
“I wish the Lord would take me now”   
“Daughters are better at taking care of their mothers than sons” 
“Somebody called here last night ... You think I’d answer, it was dark out!”   
“I don’t like that kind of talk. It upsets me.”

The writers gave Livia and Junior so many great lines.
Junior had too many to remember them all, but I loved his exchange with the nurse that the cousin brought in...

"Did you offer my nephew something to eat?"

"I am registered maid, not nurse."

"Did you offer him an aspirin?"

:lol:   :lol:  

Junior had too many to remember them all, but I loved his exchange with the nurse that the cousin brought in...

"Did you offer my nephew something to eat?"

"I am registered maid, not nurse."

"Did you offer him an aspirin?"

:lol:   :lol:  
When? I’m waiting like patience on a monument.

Some people are so far behind they actually think they’re leading.

Take it easy, we’re not making a western here.

and everyone’s fav

Go #### in your hat!

and everyone’s fav

Go #### in your hat!
He used that "patience on a monument" line at least twice, once with Tony regarding discipline waiting to be handed down early in S1, and then with Janice when he was waiting on Bobby to get back to full time work following his wife's death.  Might have been another occasion, but I cannot recall.

"Some people are so far behind they actually believe they’re leading" is one of my favorites from the entire series.  So good.  And Tony's reaction was priceless..."yeah, that's cute..." :lmao:  

Junior staring down the courtroom sketch artist is an awesome moment as well. 

and everyone’s fav

Go #### in your hat!
I have the feds so far up my ### I can taste Brylcreem.

If you tell me to take a crap on the Queen Mary, an hour later they're hosing it down with disinfectant. 

I have the feds so far up my ### I can taste Brylcreem.

If you tell me to take a crap on the Queen Mary, an hour later they're hosing it down with disinfectant. 
Flight risk.....I’ve been fartin into the same sofa cushion for 18 months.

Tone: Whatever. Yer gettin’ better thats the important thing. You look better too.

Junior: You’re gonna lie to me tell me there’s a broad waiting in the car who wants to tongue my balls.

Tone: Ya know if want that it’s a phone call away.

Anthony Soprano is a #### hair away from owning all Northern Jersey - and I am that #### hair.

Flight risk.....I’ve been fartin into the same sofa cushion for 18 months.

Tone: Whatever. Yer gettin’ better thats the important thing. You look better too.

Junior: You’re gonna lie to me tell me there’s a broad waiting in the car who wants to tongue my balls.

Tone: Ya know if want that it’s a phone call away.

Anthony Soprano is a #### hair away from owning all Northern Jersey - and I am that #### hair.
Junior's random reactions to TV shows when he is doing mob talk were great, too.

"Did she say she was knocked up?!"

"Look at this, the 5th question, and the poor #####'s already used all his life lines." 

What character was Ray Liotta offered the part to play?
I thought I remember reading it was for Tony.

Interestingly, Liotta is in the Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark.

Vera Farminga has the difficult task of playing a young Livia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Interestingly, Liotta is in the Sopranos prequel The Many Saint of Newark.

Liotta said he turned down the part because he knew it wouldn’t be big enough vs Tony.

Interestingly, Liotta is in the Sopranos prequel The Many Saints of Newark.

If I am Junior, this time I am definitely not knocking first. 

I've read that Chase wanted to get Daniel J. Travanti involved with the show on some level, but they could never quite connect. They had known each other since the 70's when they both were starting out. 

Tony: "When you're married you'll understand the importance of fresh produce."

Furio to Tony, "Maybe you should lamb chop it for a while."
The random convos/asides are the best.

Phil Leotardo and Vito are at Vito's place talking about 'that animal Blundetto'.

Vito - Yeah, it's hard to forget..

Phil - I never forget.

awkward silence for 10 seconds

Vito - I forgot what we were talking about

Phil - Me too, #### was it?

Great episode of Talking Sopranos today. Two old time actors who have a million stories. Richard Portnow (Junior Sopranos' lawyer Melvoin) and Suzanne Shepherd (Mary DeAngelis - Carmela's mom)

Gotta give Carmela's mom credit.  In the annals of one-liners from the show, she has one of the tops that makes me LOL every single time. Her and Hugo arrive early to his 75th birthday party, which clearly bothers Carmela who is already under stress with the preparation and that Animal Blundetto leaving his kids with her, and Suzanne Shepherd in the most awesome delivery spits out, "Oh my goodness, what a bother. Excuse us for living." :lmao:   :lmao:  

Gotta give Carmela's mom credit.  In the annals of one-liners from the show, she has one of the tops that makes me LOL every single time. Her and Hugo arrive early to his 75th birthday party, which clearly bothers Carmela who is already under stress with the preparation and that Animal Blundetto leaving his kids with her, and Suzanne Shepherd in the most awesome delivery spits out, "Oh my goodness, what a bother. Excuse us for living." :lmao:   :lmao:  
Great line.

That episode showed one of the few genuinely  happy of Tony's relationships, the one he had with his father-in-law. Too bad they didn't explore that angle much further. 

As far as a one-liner from a mom, Christaphuh's mother at the intervention had a good one: It’s about gosh darn time someone knocked some sense into him

Doing a slow rewatch with my gf, who only saw the original airings. Over the weekend we watched "College" and "Pax Soprana" (S1 E5-6.) The former is often cited on Top 5 / Top 10 episode lists, but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the latter.

Lot of important plotline and backstory stuff. It's the first appearance of Johnny Sack, who Tony asks to step in and get Junior to back off a bit on taxing Hesh. They meet in front of the pork store and play it off like it was Hesh going to Johnny. Corrado knocks down his take from 2 to 1.5%, and lowers the backtax from five hundred large to 300. Hesh pipes up "Two fifty" Looooonnnng pause and then Junior delivers one of my favs: "What'd I tell ya. Hold onto your #### when you're dealing with these desert people." Later at a kids ball game Tony talks to Junior about Octavian aka Augustus. Hence the episode title. Of course he mangles it and Junior doesn't understand so Tone has just come out and say quit being so #######g selfish. Tony visits Hesh at his horse farm and tells him Junior kicked the tax down to the Capos - $50K each. Hesh is looking at him sideways. "Imagine that. Fifty grand  to each capo eh." Tony stares at him a long time then breaks out grinning, pulls out a massive stack. "You think I'm gonna profit off your tax, whatsdamatta wit you" and gives Hesh $50K. Tony and Carm have been on the outs but reconcile during a heart to heart sitting by the pool (one of the few times I remember them being tender with one another.) "You're not just in my life, Carm. You are my life." Closing scene is the joint celebration with NY of Junior being named the boss, where the waiter is FBI with a button camera. 

Pretty average episode in the grand scheme of things but kind of reminded me how freaking deep the series is, everything is done for a reason.

I think Pax Soprano is a great episode. I love the story of Hesh going to Tony, Tony talking to Johnny Sack, and all of the behind the scenes stuff that led to the sitdown regarding Junior taxing Hesh.  

Plus, the episode had one of Mikey's best lines: "Tell you what, if you can fly, I won't shoot you down, deal?"  

Not one of the best episodes of a magnificent S1, but still a great one. It's just hard to stand out in a season with gems like College, Meadlowands, Boca, Isabella and Denial, Anger, Acceptance. 

Ohhhh, I forgot how good the one from the lady in Italy was, when Tony floated the idea of Furio being one of her guys he takes back to the States. 
I watched through that and didn't spot what might have been the first - from Father Phil (different actor), Tone and Carm when birthday boy Anthony hears Grandma isn't coming to his party. "What, no ####### ziti now?"

BobbyLayne said:
I watched through that and didn't spot what might have been the first - from Father Phil (different actor), Tone and Carm when birthday boy Anthony hears Grandma isn't coming to his party. "What, no ####### ziti now?"
Speaking of Father Phil, I can't help but think that Carmela overreacted at the end of S1.  I am not saying her theory about him was wrong, the one about him enjoying the sexual tension game, but let's face it, it seemed more like she was pissy because she saw that he was chummy with Rosalie, too. 

As for Rosalie, she still might have the most cringeworthy moment on the show.  When Marie calls Carmela to tell her about Jackie's Jr's death, you can hear Rosalie wailing in the background, that has to be about the worst case of fake over the top crying I have ever heard.  Hard to believe they couldn't get a better take than that. Then again, maybe the camera crew was still preoccupied getting the 13-minute shot of Vito getting into the car after whacking Jr. 

Great re-watch last night. Last week it was "College" "Pax Soprana" & "Down Neck" so expectations were low after those powerhouse episodes.

• S1E8 The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti
  • S1E9 Boca
  • S1E10 A Hit is a Hit
I know there is so much more depth and character development coming in future seasons, but man Season 1 is still the best, right?

S1E8 The Legend of Tennessee Moltisanti

The second of eight episodes written by Frank Renzulli and the first directed by Tim Van Patten who would eventually direct twenty. First appearance of Agent Harris (and Agent Grasso who breaks a dish and nearly gets into it with Ton' while executing a warrant), Melfi's son Jason, her butthole ex- Richard, ####ey's wife Angie Bonpensiero, and a cameo by Joseph R. Gannascoli as bakery customer Gino (he comes on the show in S2 as solider-later-capo Vito Spatafore.) The bakery scene is a homage to Goodfellas when Joe Pesci's character shoots Spider (played by Michael Imperioli) in the foot during a card game. "It happens" says Moltisanti as he walks out after shooting Pop N Fresh with his free sfogliatelle and cannoli.

Episodes leads off with the wedding of Larry Boy Barissi's daughter. Christopher shows up with an unwrapped stolen computer as a gift. When Larry calls her darling, Livia responds with "Are you still seeing your other women, lorenzo?" Word starts spreading through the reception that indictments are coming down. The Capos decide they can't lamb it based on a rumor but they better do some house cleaning. JUNIOR: What the ##### you askin' him for? I just-- i just gave you the answer. ####EY: I just gave a g- note to larry boy's kid for the boost. If i knew i may have to lam in a hurry, i would've duked her another time. He gets the $1K he put in the aboost bag back (in front of the crying bride) and everyone starts dragging their wives out of the reception early.

SOPRANO HOUSE: Ton': You better give me your jewelry. Carmela: Jesus. T: Hey. They know we can't produce receipts. You want'em stealing this #### from us? Come on. Carm: I'm not giving you my engagement ring. This isn't stolen. Is it? T: No! What do you think i am? 

:lmao:

Tony hides a bunch of guns and cash at Green Grove in Livia's room (Carm drops by and takes her to The Manor for a casual brunch lol - that place is expensive af.) Later in the next episode Larry Boy and Jimmy Altieri are putting their mom's in the same facility so they can do the same thing. 

The title is a reference to the famous playwright and of course Ade mangles it when she calls Chris-toe-fer "my Tennessee William." Christopher talks to Paulie about his arc in a great scene. "You ever feel like something bad was gonna happen to you?" Yeah, and nothing ever did. I'm alive. I'm survivin. Later ####ey tells him "You know who had an ark? Noah."

Tony smacks Chris for being late and starts chewing him out (shooting a civilian, digging up the body, cowboyitis.) SM: It's like just the f*ckin' "regularness" of life is too f*ckin' hard for me. Ton' starts talking to him about feelings, maybe he has a serotonin issues ("I saw a program last night"), if he's had suicidal thoughts. CM: Not this skinny guinea.

Contrasting dinner conversations at Melfi's parents and the Sopranos having Chinese takeout (post search warrant when the kids computers are seized) about the Mafia and negative Italian stereotypes. Livia tells Junior (several times bc he can't comprehend it's possible) that Tony is seeing a psychiatrist. "I don't want any repurcussions."

Christopher is haunted by Emil Kolar (his first murder) and enlists Georgie to help locate and dig up the body. "Is that him?" Now that would be some f*ckin' coincidence if it wasn't, wouldn't it? He's bummed none of the media coverage of the grand jury mentions him but they refer to the deceased Brendan Filone as a soldier. When his name turns up in the Newark Star Ledger Sunday paper he drives to a dispenser and steals every copy.

S1E9 Boca

Uncle June is in the muff. "I don't go down enough." That's not what I heard. He's a bushman of the Kalahari! Coach Hauser & the b.s. with 16 year old Ally. Tony decides to listen to Artie and not have Sil whack him but instead turns him into the authorities. Ton' comes home smashed, falls into the table in the foyer, dances drunkenly with Carm, collapses in the LR but misses the couch. Carm realizes he mixed his meds with alcohol, puts a couch pillow under his head bc there's no way she can get him upstairs. "I didn't hurt nobody" as Meadow watches from the interior balcony.

Not my favorite episode but still some great moments and lines. Junior smashing the lemon meringue pie in Roberta "Bobbi" Sanfillipo's face and firing her is one of the most disturbing scenes for me, worse than some of the murders. So cruel.

Boca/Bocca in Spanish/Italian means "mouth", referencing Corrado's oral sex skills and people in the episode talking too much.

S1E10 A Hit is a Hit

Paulie, Chris, and ##### rob and kill a drug dealer. They get a huge amount of cash. T: A score like this happens once in a lifetime. Gotta make this work for us out in the open, legit. Find a nice i. P. O. Keep it spinning. Live off the juice. CM: I. P. who? T: I. P. O. Initial public offering. Stock. We gotta find some insider market trading ####. Understand?

Flush with cash, Chris takes Adriana to dinner at Le Cirque and Rent. Later he's buying her $2400 dresses. They (seemingly) randomly meet Massive Genius, a Jay Z-style rapper/mogul. They get invited to his house party. Adrianna wants Chris to help her get into music management. Moltisanti arranges a sit-down between Massive and Hesh; Massive is acting on behalf of the mother of a deceased black singer whose royalties Hesh stole. He visits Hesh's horse farm and demands $400,000. Hesh refuses, and later counter-claims: there is an unauthorized sampling by Massive's record label of a song that Hesh's label still controls. They threaten each other with lawsuits.

Chris agrees to finance a demo for the band Visiting Day (formerly the Defilers), whose singer, Richie Santini, is Adriana's ex-boyfriend. The demo recording progresses slowly and badly; eventually Chris smashes Richie's guitar over his back. The sound engineer hates the band, Hesh tells Chris the demo is not good, Sil (offscreen) tells him it's trash, and he realizes Massive is only helping them out because he wants to get in Adriana's pants. Ade is hurt and walks out on Christopher.

Carmela wonders whether she and the children will be alright if anything happens to Tony. They go to a neighborhood BBQ and a friend introduces her to the stock market and gives her a tip. She buys, profits, takes Med to the spa. 

(I swear as soon as anyone gets a little money on this show they can't wait to spend it on b.s. immediately.)

Tony would like to mix with meddigans (merigone), members of straight society, and after some hesitation accepts Dr. Cusamano's invitation to play a round of golf at his country club. But the other golfers pester and embarrass him with questions about crime and criminals. As he tells Dr. Melfi, he felt he was being "used for somebody else's entertainment, like a dancing bear."

End scene is Tony wrapping up a box of sand in brown paper and butcher's string, which he hands to Cuze over the backyard fence. Need you to hang on to this for a while for me. Hang onto it a little while. I'll come get it when i need it. BC: How long? A month, you know. Maybe more, maybe less. Okay? Thanks. Yeah, sure. Oh, the club. I meant to ask you about the club. What's going on? Oh, the club. I'm sorry, ton'. Membership's closed. Closed? Yeah. No new members until old members die. Nobody's dyin'? Nothin' anybody could do anything about. No biggie, cooze. Thanks. You sure? I mean, because- naw. I'll live. Episode ends with Bruce and Jeannie Cusamano staring at the box in their kitchen. You hear a man grunting/screaming offscreen - Tony is bench pressing in his basement.

Good episode. Maybe not great as in top ten, but definitely top half/top third. I remember on the original watch in 1999, every Sunday it was like "holy crap this show is sooooo good."

Trailer for "The Many Saints of Newark", the Tony Soprano prequel set in the 1960s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHa95iy2lF0

Young Anthony Soprano is growing up in one of the most tumultuous eras in Newark’s history, becoming a man just as rival gangsters begin to rise up and challenge the all-powerful DiMeo crime family’s hold over the increasingly race-torn city. Caught up in the changing times is the uncle he idolizes, Dickie Moltisanti, who struggles to manage both his professional and personal responsibilities—and whose influence over his impressionable nephew will help make the teenager into the all-powerful mob boss we’ll later come to know: Tony Soprano.

(In theaters on October 1, 2021, and on HBO Max 30 days later)

Why not do a season tv series out of this? Guess Chase just didn’t want to. 

Could have done 3 episodes on how Tony didn’t have the makings of a varsity athlete. 
Coach Molinari said wasn’t prepared. Again. 

Frankly I’m depressed and ashamed.

halfway through season 2 in the current rewatch. Just finished The Happy Wanderer, D-girl up next.  Two  is probably my favorite season, really strong finish.

Finishing up my first rewatch after watching it when it originally aired. So much I forgot.

Would Tony have wacked Paulie on the boat if he admitted to telling Johnny Sac about the Ginny joke?

Never watched the show.  Wife and I just started the series last night, looking forward to it. 

No one spoil the end for me. 

Finishing up my first rewatch after watching it when it originally aired. So much I forgot.

Would Tony have wacked Paulie on the boat if he admitted to telling Johnny Sac about the Ginny joke?
Not sure, but that whole scene was weird to me, just the way it was filmed and the way it came off.  I never thought for a second that Tony was going to whack Paulie, whether he admitted anything or not. :shrug:   I still am a big fan of that episode, largely because of the Junior storyline. 

Not sure, but that whole scene was weird to me, just the way it was filmed and the way it came off.  I never thought for a second that Tony was going to whack Paulie, whether he admitted anything or not. :shrug:   I still am a big fan of that episode, largely because of the Junior storyline. 
They almost tried to make you seasick watching it.

I might need to start up a @Keerock -style "What's Normal?" poll in regards to binge watching. Because I end up binging several episodes the nights I do watch, and it kind of becomes a blur. I have trouble remembering later which storylines are paired up in which episodes. I guess if you do "one a night" that's less likely to happen? But if I watch six episodes a week... But instead I do 3 on Monday night and 3 on Thursday night, it's tough later on to recall and distinguish individual episode storylines and where they were in the set. 

They almost tried to make you seasick watching it.
IIRC That scene was not filmed on the water, so the rocking is stage people outside rocking the boat interior. There is also a pretty big discrepancy in the size of the boat as they walk up to it and it's interior size.

Users who are viewing this thread