Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread

Who the hell has ever heard of an SUV catching on fire because it parked on leaves? Seriously, they spent 5 minutes of the season finale' on that? :banned:

:headbang: I didn't get that warning with my Explorer.
God forbid, there could be kids playing under those leaves!

What would the motive be for popping Tony at the end anyway? For those that choose to believe that.

This is what I keep asking. Nobody has given an answer.JUST FOR HIM TO DIE OMG
What do you mean motive? For Chase?Phil gave the order. People were still loyal to him.
Phil is dead. His main people turned to Tony. I would assume they had the blessing of the captains.
Exactly. Once Phil went down and the NY guys were made happy, there was no reason for anyone to pop Tony.

-A theory proposed by a reader of the NJ.com Sopranos blog using the handle Lorbnash: the nine episodes of this season have represented the nine circles of Hell from Dante's "The Divine Comedy." The fourth circle, for instance, is for the greedy and the miserly; the fourth episode was Tony and Hesh's gambling showdown. The seventh circle is where the suicides go; A.J. took his dip in the family pool in episode seven. The ninth circle is for the traitors, and Butchie implicitly betrayed Phil. (For added fun, reader Joe Adler pointed out the similarities between the Eugene Delacroix painting "The Barque of Dante" and the Annie Leibovitz promotional image on the season five DVD set. Google them both if you want your mind blown.)

The Barque of Dante

Leibovitz season 5 poster

Those saying Chase sold out are completely off base. He ended it his way, and it fit perfectly with his portrayal of the series. Selling out would have been wrapping it up nicely for the viewers who need that.

Life goes on. Tony has to go through the motions of being a family man despite the constant dread that the guy sitting at the counter or the next man through the door could be the one to kill or arrest him.

Perfect ending for the series, one that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who watched it all the way through. When the screen cut to black, I just chuckled and gave a silent nod to Chase.

Those saying Chase sold out are completely off base. He ended it his way, and it fit perfectly with his portrayal of the series. Selling out would have been wrapping it up nicely for the viewers who need that.Life goes on. Tony has to go through the motions of being a family man despite the constant dread that the guy sitting at the counter or the next man through the door could be the one to kill or arrest him.Perfect ending for the series, one that shouldn't be surprising to anyone who watched it all the way through. When the screen cut to black, I just chuckled and gave a silent nod to Chase.

:rolleyes: End of thread

Not much more to add.

I also came away disappointed, but wasn't among those expecting a bloodbath - that's not what the show was (or more accurately, became) about. But still, I would have liked to have seen some closure given all the various loose threads. But that's what Chase is about, like him or hate him. I did have an early sinking feeling about the episode when he, and not Salami, was listed as the director.

Still trying to figure out the significance of Vanilla Fudge's cover of "You Keep Me Hangin' On" at the beginning of the episode. The chosen music definitely played a big part in the final season.

Edited by zamboni

I am listening to WIP from Philly on the internet right now and it sounds like all the wanna be sopranos (and man they are a ton of them in that area) are pissed at the ending. Which is why I believe that most soprano fans especially ones in the New York, NJ, Philly area watch the show for the blood and guts mafia style. Not for the symbolism or irony or to ponder at the water cooler for days on in.

Look at it this way, most people (including me) thought last week's episode was great. Last night show except for about 5 minutes was the opposite of that show in style and overall purpose. I think most people would have seen something like last week for the SERIES finale.

Edited by hammerva

What would the motive be for popping Tony at the end anyway? For those that choose to believe that.

This is what I keep asking. Nobody has given an answer.JUST FOR HIM TO DIE OMG
What do you mean motive? For Chase?Phil gave the order. People were still loyal to him.
Phil is dead. His main people turned to Tony. I would assume they had the blessing of the captains.
still a timeframe thing. Not sure if Phils demise was known.And wasn't it just kinda warm weather last episode. I thought the snowstorm was a dream sequence.
it was on the news

anyway, i've decided that tony is dead.

He is not dead. IF tony was going to die in this show, they would have showed it and let the viewers see him die. He is sitting there looking, waiting for something to happen. But it doesn't. He is more than alive, but the ending sure had my gripping the couch, as I was waiting for someone to come in and try to pop him. Glad no one did.

anyway, i've decided that tony is dead.

He is not dead. IF tony was going to die in this show, they would have showed it and let the viewers see him die. He is sitting there looking, waiting for something to happen. But it doesn't. He is more than alive, but the ending sure had my gripping the couch, as I was waiting for someone to come in and try to pop him. Glad no one did.
Exactly. When the screen went black, the wife turned and looked at me, looked at the screen, looked at me, saw credits and said, "that's it?". However, during the whole last scene, she wasn't laying back on the couch like she was the whole show...she was on the edge of the couch, i.e. "on the edge of her seat". What she (and many others in this thread) failed to realize...that was the point.

a couple thoughts:

the cat seemed to me to be the ghost of Christopher or to represent Chris- another abandoned stray that Tony took in, just like Chris

This is what my wife said when we were watching. I don't think they'd be so lame to go with the "reincarnation" angle, but the representation is definitely there. Good idea.Also, this is just nitpicking on details....but when AJ and jailbait were sitting there listening to Dylan, they were smoking either a cig or a J. By the time he was getting down to bidness with jailbait, he didn't have it anymore. If the writers needed to include the fire, why not just blame it on a cig thrown out the window into a pile of dry leaves? Certainly more plausible than a hot catalytic converter. :lmao: Another thing I didn't see mentioned was AJ's session with his therapist after the fire. When he was talking about the fire destroying his car and him being happy about it and how cool it was that his seat melted, I wonder if they were trying to show us that AJ is turning into his dad more and more? Seemed to me that his enjoyment of the fire was borderline sociopath. May be reaching here. All in all too much AJ in this episode but I'm ok with the ending. Edited by AhrnCityPahnder

With everyone seeming to think that the end of the show is going to be about Tony dying, going to jail or his “downfall,” what about the last few episodes building up to something where Tony becomes more powerful and ruthless and does something like take out Phil and whoever else stands in his way. So after all the life-altering experiences and the therapy, etc. Tony just simply comes to grips with who he is and embraces it. ("I get it.")

Just saying that after all the other things people have complained about Chase doing, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he ended things on a simple and understated note that is going to piss off a lot of fans.

:lmao:

what happened ?

Nothing. You know what's better than nothing? ANYTHING.Final episode of a series we've all devoted so much of our own time in, and they spend half of the show on two of the worst characters in the series (AJ and Janice). Really disappointed they decided that it was important to wrap up that oh-so-interesting AJ story. Oh wait, that's right, they didn't wrap it up. He's still a whiney little #####, they just gave him a new job. Greaaaaat.

The more I think about it, the more I think Tony got whacked. Remember how Phil got whacked? Waving bye bye to his grandkids. Never saw it coming. His last image was a happy one. Just like Tony.

That, plus what Bobby said earlier.

The tension in that last scene was off the charts though. Great film-making.

I love the scene when the Sopranos came home and all Carmela could say was "look at all this mail." It's like life was back to normal and as long as she had her big house and fancy jewelry, she was fine with that.

AJ showed just how shallow he really is. In the end I despised him more than even Janice. "Always with the drama" - Wasn't that Tony's father's line in a flashback with Livia.

Good episode, don't really know how they could have ended it better. Life goes on. Any way you want it, indeed!

what happened ?

Nothing. You know what's better than nothing? ANYTHING.Final episode of a series we've all devoted so much of our own time in, and they spend half of the show on two of the worst characters in the series (AJ and Janice). Really disappointed they decided that it was important to wrap up that oh-so-interesting AJ story. Oh wait, that's right, they didn't wrap it up. He's still a whiney little #####, they just gave him a new job. Greaaaaat.
Your Vince Foster link is dead.....:lmao:

what happened ?

:lmao:...you get Tony's crew wacking Phil with the FBI guy's help, Carlo flipping and it looking like Tony will end up in court, and a cliffhanger where Tony may or may not have been killed....really what more do people want.

The more I think about it the more I liked it. This way it ends anyway you want it to end. He goes to prison, the guy walking out of the bathroom kills him, or same as it ever was and Tony lives on. You make the call. I can live with that.

If Sopranos had ended after two seasons, it might have been remembered as the greatest TV drama ever. Unfortunately we got like 4 more seasons of mediocrity. There was no way for the finale to be satisfying because the show has been a giant cluster#### for years. That's why Chase didn't even try to resolve anything.

what happened ?

:lmao:

Most reasonably good story telling has a beginning, middle, and end unless you're really gunning for an artistic or obtuse structure simply for the sake of it...and that's what I think people are reacting to...there was no end, at least not in any storytelling sense...those of you who are imagining an ending have conjured that up to fill the void that is the lack of an ending...

As I said last night, no ending may make for nice water cooler discussion, but it also leaves viewers feeling incredibly unsatisfied...and in my personal opinion is a mark against the legacy of the show...

Any thoughts to why the fed told Tony where Phil was?

I think he geniunely likes Tony, and likes living through him.
I think he was setting Tony up. He knew he had Carlo flipped and now there was a murder on Tony's hands. The case against him just got a major boost.

If Sopranos had ended after two seasons, it might have been remembered as the greatest TV drama ever. Unfortunately we got like 4 more seasons of mediocrity. There was no way for the finale to be satisfying because the show has been a giant cluster#### for years. That's why Chase didn't even try to resolve anything.

:shrug:I didn't like the last episode much, but the ending was just fine. All this talk about the final scene being tense, incredible, on pins and needles has me absolutely baffled though. I was waiting to see exactly what happened, but by no means was I on the edge of my seat waiting. In fact, my wife (not a Sopranos viewer) came in and watched the last 5 minutes with me and when it was over, all she said was "that's it? that sucked." And while I didn't share her opinion with the "suckiness" I could see her point. Wasn't that great of an episode. I'm pretty disappointed the series is over though. It was an enjoyable run. Hopefully someone will create another high quality series to recapture my viewing attention.

Also glad to see they got one last vomit in there. That's critical to the plotline.

Come on, that scene was funny."OH ####" "### ####"
I'll say this - I was waiting for it. It was funny the way Phil got clipped. He was such a joke anyway. There's no scraps in my scrapbook!

Any ending would have had a majority of the people complaining. Those #####in' about closure would also be screaming that Tony didn't get killed instead of going to jail, or vice versa.

He couldn't please everyone, so he decided not to please anyone.

I like the HBO summary:

Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for...

:shrug:

I liked it. I hate the comparisons to seinfeld because the season finale of seinfeld had basically turned into a "best of" with all the flashbacks...and the whole thing just sucked. Sopranos, I think people just didnt like the way it ended, but most likely liked most of the episode (Phil dying)....I liked it...Tony died, and I probably wouldnt have liked to see him die....If you see him die than I think people would have been upset because they would have wanted to see the family stew.

Any thoughts to why the fed told Tony where Phil was?

I think he geniunely likes Tony, and likes living through him.
I think he was setting Tony up. He knew he had Carlo flipped and now there was a murder on Tony's hands. The case against him just got a major boost.
Yeah, that's gonna fly in court.

what happened ?

:shrug:...you get Tony's crew wacking Phil with the FBI guy's help, Carlo flipping and it looking like Tony will end up in court, and a cliffhanger where Tony may or may not have been killed....really what more do people want.
You just mentioned two things, one of which(Carlo) was just referenced twice, as a reason to love this eppisode. So three minutes of Phil and a couple mentions of Carlo made this great? :shrug: As far as the ending, I get it However the build up to it (the last 20min) could have bee way better.

I like the HBO summary:

Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for...

:shrug:
...onion rings!

Any ending would have had a majority of the people complaining. Those #####in' about closure would also be screaming that Tony didn't get killed instead of going to jail, or vice versa. He couldn't please everyone, so he decided not to please anyone.

But the reason he couldn't please people was because of the way the show had progressed over time. When plotlines get picked up and dropped randomly, and characters vaccilate between importance and irrelevance every episode, it's impossible to end the show in a satisfying way.

Most reasonably good story telling has a beginning, middle, and end unless you're really gunning for an artistic or obtuse structure simply for the sake of it...and that's what I think people are reacting to...there was no end, at least not in any storytelling sense...those of you who are imagining an ending have conjured that up to fill the void that is the lack of an ending...As I said last night, no ending may make for nice water cooler discussion, but it also leaves viewers feeling incredibly unsatisfied...and in my personal opinion is a mark against the legacy of the show...

This is what I don't get...you can make the argument that every major storyline ended last night. Tony made his peace with Junior and Sil, he got Janice out of his hair since the NYC crew was going to apy her off for Bobby's death, Meadow made "it" as a lawyer, AJ got his act together and seems happy, Phil got his from the NYC crew with help from the FBI guy who tony gave the Arab info to, Tony and Paulie came to terms with each other, it looks like Tony's more powerful than ever in the mob world, and Tony looks like he's on the FBI hotseat (hell there was also a really entertaining scene between Tony and AJ's phsycologist). Really, what more did people want besides an all out bloodbath between the NYC and Jersey crew.

Most reasonably good story telling has a beginning, middle, and end unless you're really gunning for an artistic or obtuse structure simply for the sake of it...and that's what I think people are reacting to...there was no end, at least not in any storytelling sense...those of you who are imagining an ending have conjured that up to fill the void that is the lack of an ending...As I said last night, no ending may make for nice water cooler discussion, but it also leaves viewers feeling incredibly unsatisfied...and in my personal opinion is a mark against the legacy of the show...

This is what I don't get...you can make the argument that every major storyline ended last night. Tony made his peace with Junior and Sil, he got Janice out of his hair since the NYC crew was going to apy her off for Bobby's death, Meadow made "it" as a lawyer, AJ got his act together and seems happy, Phil got his from the NYC crew with help from the FBI guy who tony gave the Arab info to, Tony and Paulie came to terms with each other, it looks like Tony's more powerful than ever in the mob world, and Tony looks like he's on the FBI hotseat (hell there was also a really entertaining scene between Tony and AJ's phsycologist). Really, what more did people want besides an all out bloodbath between the NYC and Jersey crew.
They wanted a complete lack of any open endedness regarding Tony's fate, and the cut to black defnitely left it somewhat to interpretation...I will say that I don't think he was killed, as to conclude that he was shot but that Chase din't show it seems like too big of a narrative leap...

Thought this was interesting from David Chase's bio...

But it is with The Sopranos that Chase really comes into his own. Inspired by William Wellman's The Public Enemy during his New Jersey boyhood, Chase is fascinated by the world of the contemporary mobster-a world as much about the indelible, often comical, influence of Scorsese and Coppola films on real life wise guys as it is about the old Italian ways. In The Sopranos, he merges Mafia mythology with the realities of impossible mothers, marital difficulties, rebellious children and a world that sometimes can seem a whole lot more manageable on Prozac.While Chase continues to be among the most sought-after writers for television, it is his annoyance with network television's rules that has brought him such success. Next, he may very well bring his vision to the cinema, the medium that first inspired his interest in both mobsters and human motivations.

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.

If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.

The only thing I'm on the fence about is the motive. There didn't seem to be a reason for anyone to kill Tony though I guess he's made enough enemies that it's irrelevant.