What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

Tiger Fan said:
Didn't someone say they shot like 6 different endings? Have any of them been leaked, or do we wait for the DVD?
I heard on the radio this morning that they will all be on the DVD. All endings continue from the point where it cut to black last night.Essentially, this way it doesn't end any one way, and Chase gets to anally rape his fans who want closure by forcing them to buy and/or rent a season of dvds for a show they already paid a premium to watch.Hey, David Chase, :finger:
Don't worry, they'll all be on YouTube 30 minutes after the DVDs go on sale.
Good. I'll advocate piracy in this instance.

I haven't read any replies here after the finale last night, but did anyone else have technical difficulties? They were sitting at a diner, then the sound went off and the show faded to black. That can't be the ending, right? Right? Did DirecTV have a power glitch or something?
This has been repeated to death in this thread and I too thought my Directv went out right at the climactic moment.What I havent seen anyone mention. Was I the only one that waited until after the credits were over praying that there was one final scene to end the series?

Those college kids that edited Jar Jar Binks out of Star Wars should get to work on The Sopranos series finale and edit in an ending. But not until they edit in a better fight between Peter and Sylar on the Heroes season finale.

How did you guys interpret the FBI guy :giggling: "We're going to win this thing".Was it a NJ /Tony going to win or the FBI going to win, since he leaked info to Tony through his informant and now Phil is dead.
Maybe Harris knew Carlo had already flipped, meaning he would have direct testimony from someone who just in on a murder (Phil) that Tony ordered. Him saying that could have meant, that after years of trying to nail Tony, they were finally going to. Yes, he contributed to Phil's death by giving Tony info, but, to him, that could be just another mob boss that won't be around anymore.

Okay, I'd like to hear some answers to one question.

Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?

I just want to hear what people think that meant so I can consider it.

Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?

All this discussion about "Tony's dead" or "Tony's not dead" is exactly what Chase wanted. He's always been about leaving the resolution to conflicts open to the viewer's imagination, and this was the ultimate in that. I doubt HE even "knows" whether Tony did or didn't get shot, rather he left it for the viewer to write his or her own conclusion. Brilliant, and even more so the more you think about it, but I have to admit, it was very unsatisfying at the time. I was sitting there staring at the screen thinking : "It's really over?"
Not ####ing with the audience, but rather leaving it open to interpretation and discussion. I think he's basically letting the viewer "end" the show the way he/she wants. Is that a cop-out or an interesting way to conclude (basically by not concluding) a story? That's open for discussion, but you have to admit, even if you didn't like it, that it's pretty much in keeping with the way the show has been presented from the get-go.

All this discussion about "Tony's dead" or "Tony's not dead" is exactly what Chase wanted. He's always been about leaving the resolution to conflicts open to the viewer's imagination, and this was the ultimate in that. I doubt HE even "knows" whether Tony did or didn't get shot, rather he left it for the viewer to write his or her own conclusion. Brilliant, and even more so the more you think about it, but I have to admit, it was very unsatisfying at the time. I was sitting there staring at the screen thinking : "It's really over?"
Not ####ing with the audience, but rather leaving it open to interpretation and discussion. I think he's basically letting the viewer "end" the show the way he/she wants. Is that a cop-out or an interesting way to conclude (basically by not concluding) a story? That's open for discussion, but you have to admit, even if you didn't like it, that it's pretty much in keeping with the way the show has been presented from the get-go.
Awesome. In fact, the screen should have been blank for the entire hour. Imagine all of the interesting scenarios our minds could have created!

hammerva said:
If the people who watch lets Twin Peaks or Lost or one of those dramas where if you don't open your mind for a minute you are lost watch this; they would call this the greatest ending ever. Because it made you think and contemplate and wonder. Unfortunately I believe most Soprano fans want to see blood and violence and racism and naked chicks and the general Goodfellas like mob mentality.
Terrible posting.I'm a gigantic Lost fan, and I hated this ending.You know why? Because they filmed the ending and didn't show it to you.Thats BS.
You know that how? Because of some moron you heard on the radio?

Okay, I'd like to hear some answers to one question.Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?I just want to hear what people think that meant so I can consider it.
If you are going with the premise that Tony is still alive, you can't take the "snap to black" as an isolated moment. You have to consider the entire episode. Life goes on. The things that JetsWillWin worries about and deals with are the same as the Sopranos. AJ has a new car, a sexy little girlfriend to satisfy his pedophile cravings, and a new job where he gets paid to do nothing. Meadow has a new job, a boyfriend and dents in her fenders. Carm is still horsefaced and worrying about how mail piling up and has a rekindled interest in staying on easy street so she doesn't have to smell old peoples urine. Tony tied up loose ends with Junior, Sil et al, and knows he is in for a long drawn out court fight. When people ask me in the course of a day, "What's going on?" as a general salutation, I answer quite often - "Life, and there is little we can do to stop it". Snap to black. Life goes on.

Awesome. In fact, the screen should have been blank for the entire hour. Imagine all of the interesting scenarios our minds could have created!
:blackdot:

I always have to wait through at least 3 or 4 songs before I get to hear the one I paid for at one of those places.

:blackdot:

Okay, I'd like to hear some answers to one question.Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?I just want to hear what people think that meant so I can consider it.
As I posted last night, the show was always about Tony and his real family, not Tony and his mafia family.

:lmao:

Also, since when did Butch and the others have a problem with Phil? Their disenchantment with him, came out of nowhere last night, almost like Chase had to wrap that storyline up quickly, so he manufactured that animosity, making it easy for them to find and kill Phil quickly. I thought that was kinda lazy.

Drudge has 4 reviews on his page panning it. :lol:
:lmao: 1st link on the Drudge report, 3rd graph down
But Chase was true to himself, and that's what made "The Sopranos" brilliant on Sunday night, and the 85 episodes that went before. The product of an artist with a bleak but illuminating vision, "The Sopranos" has always existed on its own terms. And it was seldom tidy
You and I must have a different definition of "panning it".

It has been said that Chase knew how the show would end when he created it, right?

I think we misunderstood that. He may or may not have known how the STORY would end...but I believe he knew he would end it unlike any ever...completely open to multiple variations by the audience.

If you are going with the premise that Tony is still alive, you can't take the "snap to black" as an isolated moment. You have to consider the entire episode. Life goes on. The things that JetsWillWin worries about and deals with are the same as the Sopranos. AJ has a new car, a sexy little girlfriend to satisfy his pedophile cravings, and a new job where he gets paid to do nothing. Meadow has a new job, a boyfriend and dents in her fenders. Carm is still horsefaced and worrying about how mail piling up and has a rekindled interest in staying on easy street so she doesn't have to smell old peoples urine. Tony tied up loose ends with Junior, Sil et al, and knows he is in for a long drawn out court fight. When people ask me in the course of a day, "What's going on?" as a general salutation, I answer quite often - "Life, and there is little we can do to stop it". Snap to black. Life goes on.
I gotta say :lmao: Nothing happened except Meadow got there in time to eat some onion rings before Tony and AJ ate them all. Things are the same as they ever were for Tony and his family (both of them).

Edge, there's a guy earlier in this thread that nailed it, but I'll give my version of why it wasn't as bad an ending as you thought:Tony died while eating onion rings. That's why we snapped to pitch black and silence. Do you remember the conversation Bobby and Tony had in the boat where Bobby says something like "I suppose it's fast like one moment your there and the next it's lights out"......that's not even close to the quote but it's the idea. Then, after Bobby died, Tony remembered that conversation. At first I felt like everyone else, but when I remembered that conversation I realized, and believe fully, that Tony died and that's what we got from his perspective. One minute eating rings, next lights out.
so you think he died. :lmao:
Yes, he was shot in the head while eating onion rings.

As I posted last night, the show was always about Tony and his real family, not Tony and his mafia family.
So why did he tell Junior to give the money to Bobby's kids instead of Janice? He has no blood relation to the kids and Janice is his sister.

hammerva said:
If the people who watch lets Twin Peaks or Lost or one of those dramas where if you don't open your mind for a minute you are lost watch this; they would call this the greatest ending ever. Because it made you think and contemplate and wonder. Unfortunately I believe most Soprano fans want to see blood and violence and racism and naked chicks and the general Goodfellas like mob mentality.
Terrible posting.I'm a gigantic Lost fan, and I hated this ending.You know why? Because they filmed the ending and didn't show it to you.Thats BS.
It makes a lot of sense. Plus, Chase himself said they were shooting multiple endings. You don't think those will be on the DVD?

hammerva said:
It makes a lot of sense. Plus, Chase himself said they were shooting multiple endings. You don't think those will be on the DVD?
No. The DVDs have never had any extras, other than an interview or two.

So why did he tell Junior to give the money to Bobby's kids instead of Janice? He has no blood relation to the kids and Janice is his sister.
Cuz Bobby was a made guy.-QG

it was a great ending.

it showed how happy tony and his family was now that their current issue was over. they were either oblivious or content with the fact that there is always the possibility of someone out to kill him to take over or to get revenge. compare that to the audience who is not in the mob lifestyle agonizing over every possibly person that might kill him.

the ending showed that no matter how happy tony is, he is always in danger and will likely be eventually killed if not spending the rest of his life in prison. it was this suspense that the sopranos was so good at building as well as showing the duality of the mob lifestyle that made this show and this ending so great.

it made you realize that there was no happy ending by being in the mob, and if wasnt jail or murder, at best you get to spend the end of your days in a home not knowing who anyone is or the power you had while relatives try to steal your money.

great show, and really no other ending would be better than this one.

it was a great ending.it showed how happy tony and his family was now that their current issue was over. they were either oblivious or content with the fact that there is always the possibility of someone out to kill him to take over or to get revenge. compare that to the audience who is not in the mob lifestyle agonizing over every possibly person that might kill him.the ending showed that no matter how happy tony is, he is always in danger and will likely be eventually killed if not spending the rest of his life in prison. it was this suspense that the sopranos was so good at building as well as showing the duality of the mob lifestyle that made this show and this ending so great.it made you realize that there was no happy ending by being in the mob, and if wasnt jail or murder, at best you get to spend the end of your days in a home not knowing who anyone is or the power you had while relatives try to steal your money.great show, and really no other ending would be better than this one.
:yes:

A few episodes ago, weren't Tony and one of his men talking about getting whacked. I want to say it was him and Bobbie on the boat. Something about, when it's your time to go, you don't see it coming, everything just goes black?

Sorry if someone has mentioned this before or if it's incorrect information.

A few episodes ago, weren't Tony and one of his men talking about getting whacked. I want to say it was him and Bobbie on the boat. Something about, when it's your time to go, you don't see it coming, everything just goes black?Sorry if someone has mentioned this before or if it's incorrect information.
Apology accepted. :confused:

-A theory proposed by a reader of the NJ.com Sopranos blog using the handle Lorbnash: the nine episodes of this season have represented the nine circles of Hell from Dante's "The Divine Comedy." The fourth circle, for instance, is for the greedy and the miserly; the fourth episode was Tony and Hesh's gambling showdown. The seventh circle is where the suicides go; A.J. took his dip in the family pool in episode seven. The ninth circle is for the traitors, and Butchie implicitly betrayed Phil. (For added fun, reader Joe Adler pointed out the similarities between the Eugene Delacroix painting "The Barque of Dante" and the Annie Leibovitz promotional image on the season five DVD set. Google them both if you want your mind blown.)
The Barque of Dante
Is that Lee Van Cleef in the red hood? (see Angel Eyes 2 poster)

Last edited by a moderator:
The Righetti theory.

The reason it cuts so abrubtly is because just like the song which we've all heard 100 times, the story of the Sodano's is the same

as a million stories we've seen.. The reason you don't hear the end of the song is because the story doesn't end. over the past

8 years we've seen a glimpse of the life of Tony but it's only that a glimpse, things don't all get tied together on screen

because we are only seeing a part of life for them. I think you have to assume that Tony lives, his family is on the right

track and his 'family' is back to being on track.. he's lost a few guys but in his world that is like losing a buddy because

he moves away or losing a guy you work with because he takes a different gig. There is no empathy or sympathy, it's just a

quick caption of his life and we've been privied to see it.

His biggest difference is that every guy that walks into a restaurant could be out to kill him, but this also han't really changed

He was fighting/fearing for his life in Season 1 and he still fights/fears for his life in season 6

His family has ups-downs moving forward but things end up OK in the long run

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.
We're not looking "through his eyes" at that moment, the last shot is a shot of Tony, not from his POV.
This is my main issue with this theory.

i am just now reading through the responses.

lmFAo at everyone flipping out at the ending almost as bad as people in the shark pool when projections are a 1/2 hour late.

the people crying apparently only understood the violence and not the many subtle intricate details chase would lay into each episode. sad that so many only saw what was on the surface and not what was beneath as that was even better than the violence.

it was a great ending.it showed how happy tony and his family was now that their current issue was over. they were either oblivious or content with the fact that there is always the possibility of someone out to kill him to take over or to get revenge. compare that to the audience who is not in the mob lifestyle agonizing over every possibly person that might kill him.the ending showed that no matter how happy tony is, he is always in danger and will likely be eventually killed if not spending the rest of his life in prison. it was this suspense that the sopranos was so good at building as well as showing the duality of the mob lifestyle that made this show and this ending so great.it made you realize that there was no happy ending by being in the mob, and if wasnt jail or murder, at best you get to spend the end of your days in a home not knowing who anyone is or the power you had while relatives try to steal your money.great show, and really no other ending would be better than this one.
:goodposting:

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.
We're not looking "through his eyes" at that moment, the last shot is a shot of Tony, not from his POV.
Maybe the cameraman got shot.

chase's attempt to be brilliant made him look stupid.

if he would stop trying to be an "Artist" he would see the real brilliance is not in the over-use of dream sequences or us being Tony in the final scene.

tony is the brilliance. here is a guy that killed his best friend, nephew (in name), cousin. regardless of reason, he also tried to kill his mom and uncle. he ruined a childhood friend's life (scatino). dumped asbesto to make money. cheated on his wife. swindled people with stock scams. scammed the government for money meant to rebuild the ghetto (the house scam). the list goes on and on. but despite all this, everyone (for the most part) who watched the show loved and rooted for Tony. just as darth vader was the cool bad guy, tony took the cake as one of the best characters in tv history. the ultimate scum bag who for some odd reason we all loved.

also, i do not think "anyone" gets it. there are 1000 theories at all the boards and blogs. until chase says what he was trying to do, anything is possible (including the cat avenging chrissy).

if it was such a great brilliant ending, everyone watching would go, wow, i get it. they woudl piece together everything and say how everything was tied together. problem is, all the pieces could make something else.

for example. everyone keeps saying the scene with bobby and not knowing. it just goes black, etc. maybe that had nothing to do with tony or the end. maybe it applied to bobby. he saw it coming. he was shot from the front. he saw it coming. it was not quick. it was not quiet. it did not just go black. he was shot mulitple times in a load barrage of gun fire with people screaming.

i get it in my own way, but still think a visual closure to end it would of made more sense. the killing of bobby was a "wow" scene that made you kind of hold your breathe. the same thing could of happened to tony.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Righetti theory.The reason it cuts so abrubtly is because just like the song which we've all heard 100 times, the story of the Sodano's is the sameas a million stories we've seen.. The reason you don't hear the end of the song is because the story doesn't end. over the past8 years we've seen a glimpse of the life of Tony but it's only that a glimpse, things don't all get tied together on screenbecause we are only seeing a part of life for them. I think you have to assume that Tony lives, his family is on the righttrack and his 'family' is back to being on track.. he's lost a few guys but in his world that is like losing a buddy becausehe moves away or losing a guy you work with because he takes a different gig. There is no empathy or sympathy, it's just aquick caption of his life and we've been privied to see it.His biggest difference is that every guy that walks into a restaurant could be out to kill him, but this also han't really changedHe was fighting/fearing for his life in Season 1 and he still fights/fears for his life in season 6His family has ups-downs moving forward but things end up OK in the long run
like most families

i am just now reading through the responses.lmFAo at everyone flipping out at the ending almost as bad as people in the shark pool when projections are a 1/2 hour late.the people crying apparently only understood the violence and not the many subtle intricate details chase would lay into each episode. sad that so many only saw what was on the surface and not what was beneath as that was even better than the violence.
I understand plenty, thank you very much. I just don't like gimmicky endings, okay? Watching this last night was like that Otis thread in :e: where he fails to complete. We've invested years into this, I think we deserve a little more payout than what we got.Do I need violence and bloodshed? No. There's plenty of that to spare. I just want a touch more than fade to black and silence.

Just a question from an admitted Sopranos basher (ok, it is not a bad show, but god it isnt close to being the holy grail so many portray it as, imo)...

IF the going to black represents the death, isnt there SOME split second (even tenth of a second) SOMETHING... a click of the trigger, a quick boom - you may not realize what it is until you are dead, but its not a "fade to black" it is a "boom to black"

Just thinking aloud - not that my thoughts should have much merit since I didnt watch and dont much care. But I am, admittedly, curious.

if it was such a great brilliant ending, everyone watching would go, wow, i get it. they woudl piece together everything and say how everything was tied together. problem is, all the pieces could make something else.
lolthis is why it is brilliant.sorry he couldn't go out scarface style and then nuke new york with the dirty bomb he got from the arabs in the bing.only that would have satisfied you i guess.

:goodposting:

i am just now reading through the responses.lmFAo at everyone flipping out at the ending almost as bad as people in the shark pool when projections are a 1/2 hour late.the people crying apparently only understood the violence and not the many subtle intricate details chase would lay into each episode. sad that so many only saw what was on the surface and not what was beneath as that was even better than the violence.
:goodposting: I mean, there's a certain level of sick voyeuristic pleasure that most Sopranos watchers take in each season's "whackings," but some commentary on this episode makes me think that some enjoy them a bit too much.

chase's attempt to be brilliant made him look stupid.
I don't think he looked stupid but like I posted before in his attempt to avoid "conventional storytelling narrative" he fell victim to a cliche. I think that's rather ironic. What may have really surprised people would have been a more conventional ending. Instead, he tried to get clever and it's arguable whether it worked and was a fitting end to this great show.

The Righetti theory.The reason it cuts so abrubtly is because just like the song which we've all heard 100 times, the story of the Sodano's is the sameas a million stories we've seen.. The reason you don't hear the end of the song is because the story doesn't end. over the past8 years we've seen a glimpse of the life of Tony but it's only that a glimpse, things don't all get tied together on screenbecause we are only seeing a part of life for them. I think you have to assume that Tony lives, his family is on the righttrack and his 'family' is back to being on track.. he's lost a few guys but in his world that is like losing a buddy becausehe moves away or losing a guy you work with because he takes a different gig. There is no empathy or sympathy, it's just aquick caption of his life and we've been privied to see it.His biggest difference is that every guy that walks into a restaurant could be out to kill him, but this also han't really changedHe was fighting/fearing for his life in Season 1 and he still fights/fears for his life in season 6His family has ups-downs moving forward but things end up OK in the long run
Interesting. Who are the Sodanos, though?

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.

If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.
That is sooo David Chase. Genius!

Just a question from an admitted Sopranos basher (ok, it is not a bad show, but god it isnt close to being the holy grail so many portray it as, imo)...IF the going to black represents the death, isnt there SOME split second (even tenth of a second) SOMETHING... a click of the trigger, a quick boom - you may not realize what it is until you are dead, but its not a "fade to black" it is a "boom to black"Just thinking aloud - not that my thoughts should have much merit since I didnt watch and dont much care. But I am, admittedly, curious.
Another hole in the already-worn-out theory is that AJ and Carmela were both facing the restroom.

the people crying apparently only understood the violence and not the many subtle intricate details chase would lay into each episode. sad that so many only saw what was on the surface and not what was beneath as that was even better than the violence.
That is an unfair generalization. I am someone who totally understands that the relationship between Tony and his real family is what ultimately drove the show, not the mob violence, but I still would have liked to have gotten some sort of ending. I can understand why others would have liked last night's ending. I did not hate it by any means. It just felt like I just read a 500-page book, but when I got to the last page, it had been ripped out and there is no chance of ever finding it.

Users who are viewing this thread