What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

AJ's story mirrors the thematic incompleteness. Guy finally grows into an identity and someone maybe sort of interesting in the vein of an idiot savant Hamlet when he shifts on a dime and is placated by the model girlfriend, the BMW and the movie job. To me that spit in the face of where it was all headed. But maybe the point is a cynical one -- that the meaningless grind and the doubts and fears and questioning never has a pay off. We shift and change and push through adversity only to have it all end up meaningless and a big joke with the only thing left when we go punchlines that haven't been sprung.

Thanks Chase. Now I'm battling depression.
Bingo. For once, an episode title that meant something, "Made in America" as America in decline.Sepinwall nails it.

Okay, I'd like to hear some answers to one question.

Putting aside the "because Chase wants to #### with you" thoughts, are there any other opinions out there on what the explanation would be to having the end of the finale snap into a black screen like that other than Tony's death?

I just want to hear what people think that meant so I can consider it.
All this discussion about "Tony's dead" or "Tony's not dead" is exactly what Chase wanted. He's always been about leaving the resolution to conflicts open to the viewer's imagination, and this was the ultimate in that. I doubt HE even "knows" whether Tony did or didn't get shot, rather he left it for the viewer to write his or her own conclusion. Brilliant, and even more so the more you think about it, but I have to admit, it was very unsatisfying at the time. I was sitting there staring at the screen thinking : "It's really over?"
Not ####ing with the audience, but rather leaving it open to interpretation and discussion. I think he's basically letting the viewer "end" the show the way he/she wants. Is that a cop-out or an interesting way to conclude (basically by not concluding) a story? That's open for discussion, but you have to admit, even if you didn't like it, that it's pretty much in keeping with the way the show has been presented from the get-go.
Awesome. In fact, the screen should have been blank for the entire hour. Imagine all of the interesting scenarios our minds could have created!
The point is, the "story," as it were, had to end somewhere. Why does everyone need finality? Tony was not killed on screen. If you choose to believe that he was capped, so be it.

Everything has to end somewhere, folks. Nobody said Tony had to be killed. Maybe the resolution is, he killed Phil, ended the war with NY and things are going back to normal. Don't like that? Then choose to believe Tony was killed in front of his family. I can't believe someone with the depth of Sopranos knowledge you have would even be remotely surprised by this choice to leave things open-ended.

it was a great ending.it showed how happy tony and his family was now that their current issue was over. they were either oblivious or content with the fact that there is always the possibility of someone out to kill him to take over or to get revenge. compare that to the audience who is not in the mob lifestyle agonizing over every possibly person that might kill him.the ending showed that no matter how happy tony is, he is always in danger and will likely be eventually killed if not spending the rest of his life in prison. it was this suspense that the sopranos was so good at building as well as showing the duality of the mob lifestyle that made this show and this ending so great.it made you realize that there was no happy ending by being in the mob, and if wasnt jail or murder, at best you get to spend the end of your days in a home not knowing who anyone is or the power you had while relatives try to steal your money.great show, and really no other ending would be better than this one.
:goodposting: I'm in the minority but I liked the ending. It lets the series go in whatever direction the individual viewer wants to take it. It also gave us 3 minutes of living in Tony's shoes and gave us a taste of how tense that kind of a life is. And for those who need more closure, based on the people from past episodes in the restaurant and Tony & Bobby's discussion 8 episodes ago of "it just going black" when you get popped it's also very plausible that Tony just took a bullet to the side/back of his head.

Tony got whacked. The more I think about it the more it becomes the only thing that makes sense after the conversation on the boat with Bobby.

If he didn't get whacked, why the 20 seconds of black screen? The credits would have started immediately. The 20 seconds of black was everyone reacting to the shooting which we obviously can't see since we were seeing it through Tony's eyes.
We're not looking "through his eyes" at that moment, the last shot is a shot of Tony, not from his POV.
This is my main issue with this theory.
An Interesting ReadI haven't been able to check it out myself, but the first guy's 'theory' seems plausible.

I'm in the minority but I liked the ending. It lets the series go in whatever direction the individual viewer wants to take it.
Yeah, but why would you want to do that? Why not just show a black screen for an hour if you're going to do that? Why not just have had this whole season be blank screens and let the viewer imagine what happened after Junior shot Tony? Or why not keep making seasons until Tony is 104 years old, just so everyone out there will know everything that happens to him his entire life?:goodposting:Many people (including me) found the ending unsatisfying at first, but I believe that with time, people will appreciate it more. Plus, it leaves the option of doing something more with the Tony Soprano character open, though I doubt anything more is in the offing.

I have no problem with the ending. I actually liked it. Tony is not dead, but will always be looking over his shoulder.

I was expecting a bloodbath. I thought the diner would blow up as Meadow was running across the street, but I'm glad it didn't come to fruition.

The end was kind of foreshadowed at the very beginning of the episode when Tony wakes to classic radio and 'You just keep me hanging on' could be heard.

Otis theory on the ending (without having read everything above, so maybe this has already been floated):

Why did it end that way? So we'd talk about it. So we'd think about it. Is it unsatisfying? Perhaps a little, if only for our innate human desire for answers and clarity. But Chase didn't want to just give in to that. He wanted us to think, to question. In recent weeks, Tony has been questioning the meaning of life (picture him out in the desert "I get it!"), AJ has been questioning what it's all about, and there has been more and more dialogue about what a mess the world is. How does it end? With a discussion of Tony's comment that you need to "remember the good times." They're both right. Life and this world are pretty screwed up, but you have to remember the good times. Through all of that, though, you shouldn't just waltz through blindly. You should continue to question, continue to wonder, and continue to imagine something else.

That's why Chase ended it the way he did. It all follows that theme. It leaves us questioning, wondering, pondering, and, although it may not be as immediately satisfying as a nice and neat ending, in the long run it's far more meaningful for everyone.

Everyone will have there own feelings about what happens when the screen goes blank, from Tony being shot, to agents walking in to drag him off to jail, to a million other things. Who knows.

I also like how the show ended with AJ back on track, cruising aroudn in the M3, super hot chick, and laughing and enjoying life again. It tied in with the theme above -- that life is bad sometimes, and good other times, but that at least, like AJ, we should question things.

It was a good ending, and I think the more people reflect on it, the more they'll appreciate it.

I have no problem with the ending. I actually liked it. Tony is not dead, but will always be looking over his shoulder. I was expecting a bloodbath. I thought the diner would blow up as Meadow was running across the street, but I'm glad it didn't come to fruition.The end was kind of foreshadowed at the very beginning of the episode when Tony wakes to classic radio and 'You just keep me hanging on' could be heard.
I was kinda pissed when I watched it because I was expecting a them going out with a bigger bang than they did. But I think the episode did exactly what Chase wanted to do, and all of the uproar and questions raised are proof. The interpretation of the finale will go on forever.

i am just now reading through the responses.lmFAo at everyone flipping out at the ending almost as bad as people in the shark pool when projections are a 1/2 hour late.the people crying apparently only understood the violence and not the many subtle intricate details chase would lay into each episode. sad that so many only saw what was on the surface and not what was beneath as that was even better than the violence.
I understand plenty, thank you very much. I just don't like gimmicky endings, okay? Watching this last night was like that Otis thread in :e: where he fails to complete. We've invested years into this, I think we deserve a little more payout than what we got.Do I need violence and bloodshed? No. There's plenty of that to spare. I just want a touch more than fade to black and silence.
Exactly. It seems like there's this thought process in the thread which says "if you didn't like the episode, you must have just wanted to see blood and violence", which isn't true. With me, it was disappointing because of the focus on AJ, much like the focus on Jar Jar Binks in Ep I :clap: . AJ was getting screen time I thought belonged to other members of the cast, that's all.It was like sitting with a good friend of 8 years who found out he only had an hour to live. I wouldn't spend half of it talking to him about his ####-head relative.

Otis theory on the ending (without having read everything above, so maybe this has already been floated):Why did it end that way? So we'd talk about it. So we'd think about it. Is it unsatisfying? Perhaps a little, if only for our innate human desire for answers and clarity. But Chase didn't want to just give in to that. He wanted us to think, to question. In recent weeks, Tony has been questioning the meaning of life (picture him out in the desert "I get it!"), AJ has been questioning what it's all about, and there has been more and more dialogue about what a mess the world is. How does it end? With a discussion of Tony's comment that you need to "remember the good times." They're both right. Life and this world are pretty screwed up, but you have to remember the good times. Through all of that, though, you shouldn't just waltz through blindly. You should continue to question, continue to wonder, and continue to imagine something else. That's why Chase ended it the way he did. It all follows that theme. It leaves us questioning, wondering, pondering, and, although it may not be as immediately satisfying as a nice and neat ending, in the long run it's far more meaningful for everyone.Everyone will have there own feelings about what happens when the screen goes blank, from Tony being shot, to agents walking in to drag him off to jail, to a million other things. Who knows.I also like how the show ended with AJ back on track, cruising aroudn in the M3, super hot chick, and laughing and enjoying life again. It tied in with the theme above -- that life is bad sometimes, and good other times, but that at least, like AJ, we should question things.It was a good ending, and I think the more people reflect on it, the more they'll appreciate it.
I have no problem with the ending. I actually liked it. Tony is not dead, but will always be looking over his shoulder. I was expecting a bloodbath. I thought the diner would blow up as Meadow was running across the street, but I'm glad it didn't come to fruition.The end was kind of foreshadowed at the very beginning of the episode when Tony wakes to classic radio and 'You just keep me hanging on' could be heard.
I was kinda pissed when I watched it because I was expecting a them going out with a bigger bang than they did. But I think the episode did exactly what Chase wanted to do, and all of the uproar and questions raised are proof. The interpretation of the finale will go on forever.
:rant: x 2Exactly what I was saying. I really don't get why people have SUCH a problem with this, especially RN.

http://drawergeek.blogspot.com/2007/06/sop...y-happened.html

Found this on a message board. If this is all true, I think people who hated that finale might do a 180. Wow.

"OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember in the first season when Tony was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see your death happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family.

Thank you David Chase for making it so obscure that I feel bad for hating you at first. Absolutely amazing!!!!"

ALSO:

"I feel much better about this finale after watching it a second time. In the split second before the screen goes blank you can see panic rushing over Tony's face and he also seems to be reaching under the table for something."

The way he pawed AJ when he sat down led me to believe he knew he was about to get taken into custody and the family members knew it. The guys at the diner were Feds and were waiting until all 4 were down and the food was out to take him in. They were giving him one last meal with the family. The last supper. Meadow knew it, which is why she was running in. Urgent, yes, but not so urgent that she wouldn't try to park her car correctly.

i don't think he got whacked. I think he went to jail and he knew it was happening that night, told the family and they were all going to try and enjoy one last meal heads held high.

Found this on a message board. If this is all true, I think people who hated that finale might do a 180. Wow.

"OK, at first I was really angry. I mean really, really angry. I can't believe though that no-one has posted by now what happened. The only thing I saw that was right, was that in the last scene we are seeing through Tony's eyes. Remember in the first season when Tony was speaking with Bobby...basically saying that you don't see your death happening?

So here is what I found out. The guy at the bar is also credited as Nikki Leotardo. The same actor played him in the first part of season 6 during a brief sit down concerning the future of Vito. That wasn't that long ago. Apparently, he is the nephew of Phil. Phil's brother Nikki Senior was killed in 1976 in a car accident. Absolutely Genius!!!! David Chase is truly rewarding the true fans who pay attention to detail.

So the point would have been that life continues and we may never know the end of the Sopranos. But if you pay attention to the history, you will find that all the answers lie in the characters in the restaurant. The trucker was the brother of the guy who was robbed by Christopher in Season 2. Remember the DVD players? The trucker had to identify the body. The boy scouts were in the train store and the black guys at the end were the ones who tried to kill Tony and only clipped him in the ear (was that season 2 or 3?).

Absolutely incredible!!!! There were three people in the restaurant who had reason to kill Tony and then it just ends. This was Chase's way of proving that he will not escape his past. It will not go on forever despite that he would like it to "don't stop". Not the fans!!! Tony would like it to keep going but just as we have to say goodbye, so does he. No more Tony and I guess we are supposed to be happy that Meadow didn't get clipped as well (she would have been between the shooter and Tony) since she is the only one worth a crap in that family.

Thank you David Chase for making it so obscure that I feel bad for hating you at first. Absolutely amazing!!!!"

ALSO:

"I feel much better about this finale after watching it a second time. In the split second before the screen goes blank you can see panic rushing over Tony's face and he also seems to be reaching under the table for something."
:bye:

ALSO:

Interesting.

Otis theory on the ending (without having read everything above, so maybe this has already been floated):Why did it end that way? So we'd talk about it. So we'd think about it. Is it unsatisfying? Perhaps a little, if only for our innate human desire for answers and clarity. But Chase didn't want to just give in to that. He wanted us to think, to question. In recent weeks, Tony has been questioning the meaning of life (picture him out in the desert "I get it!"), AJ has been questioning what it's all about, and there has been more and more dialogue about what a mess the world is. How does it end? With a discussion of Tony's comment that you need to "remember the good times." They're both right. Life and this world are pretty screwed up, but you have to remember the good times. Through all of that, though, you shouldn't just waltz through blindly. You should continue to question, continue to wonder, and continue to imagine something else. That's why Chase ended it the way he did. It all follows that theme. It leaves us questioning, wondering, pondering, and, although it may not be as immediately satisfying as a nice and neat ending, in the long run it's far more meaningful for everyone.Everyone will have there own feelings about what happens when the screen goes blank, from Tony being shot, to agents walking in to drag him off to jail, to a million other things. Who knows.I also like how the show ended with AJ back on track, cruising aroudn in the M3, super hot chick, and laughing and enjoying life again. It tied in with the theme above -- that life is bad sometimes, and good other times, but that at least, like AJ, we should question things.It was a good ending, and I think the more people reflect on it, the more they'll appreciate it.
Damn :bye:

People are so hung up on the ending scene that they aren't discussing some of the more salient points of the show:

1. Janice telling Uncle June "I'm your daughter"

2. What exactly was AJ's epiphany that made everything okay for him?

3. Why exactly did Carmella get so upset at listening to Meadow's friend recount her success?

4. Is Uncle June completely gone or is he still just partially gone and paranoid (not telling Janice where the money is)?

5. Doogie Howser's sidekick becoming Paulie Jr - the hair, the bicep curls.

6. The FBI agent and his excitement when he heard Phil had gotten whacked.

7. The conversation with Meadow's boyfriend at dinner.

I can't believe so many people wanted to see Tony killed or locked up. I loved Tony (what a great character). I was on the edge of my seat during the final scene because I was so nervous that he was going to be killed- that would of really disappointed me. For him to make it that far and come that close, only to die in the final moment would have been crushing.

Also, I will never be able to hear "Don't Stop Believing" and not think of that final scene. Amazing how that song (which was insanely popular) has been forever changed.

ALSO:

wow. my post below yours now looks very stupid.

I saw no panic and no movement from Tony. He looked up, saw Meadow and resumed eating his onion rings. There was nothing else in the scene in my opinion that would lead people to think anything else happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

ALSO:

:bye:
bah

Flaming Moe said:
Flaming Moe said:
So who's watching "John from Cincinnati" after the finale? I'll give it a shot.
What's a "surf noir"?
It's not TV. It's HBO.I figure at the very least, we'll get to see some young, firm cans.
:goodposting: HBO says new season of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" in September.
What sucks is they keep bringing back shows like this (not saying it's bad), but they somehow can't justify continuing Deadwood, Rome or Carnivale. All three of those shows were better than Curb IMO.
I loved Deadwood. But apparantly it was the most expensive show HBO ever produced. So clearly Curb is a lot cheaper to make.

People are so hung up on the ending scene that they aren't discussing some of the more salient points of the show:1. Janice telling Uncle June "I'm your daughter"2. What exactly was AJ's epiphany that made everything okay for him?3. Why exactly did Carmella get so upset at listening to Meadow's friend recount her success?4. Is Uncle June completely gone or is he still just partially gone and paranoid (not telling Janice where the money is)?5. Doogie Howser's sidekick becoming Paulie Jr - the hair, the bicep curls.6. The FBI agent and his excitement when he heard Phil had gotten whacked.7. The conversation with Meadow's boyfriend at dinner.
I have to watch it a few more times to work things out for me. I didn't realize Janice said it that way. I think Junior's memory comes and goes, and he plays on that. The Paulie Jr and FBI agent thing were kinda funny.

1. Janice telling Uncle June "I'm your daughter"
I didn't realize Janice said it that way.
I don't think she did.
watched that part over and over again and it's really not clear what she said. she certainly could have said "Your daughter" and it would make sense given how lost Junior seemed. But she also could have just said "Her daughter" or "the daughter". Impossible to tell, IMO.

ALSO:

If those folks are indeed the people from past episodes, that would make the whole thing a lot better.

Dave Baker said:
Perfect ending. Chase ended it exactly they way he drived the entire series, without selling out and without predictability.

I loved the finale.
sorta what i expected from the finale.all the people expecting a bloody shootout must not have been paying attention for the past few years. :lmao:
I wasn't expecting bloodshed, just a solid finish to one of TV's great series.
just curious what you were hoping for from it? what ending woulda satisfied you? and for that matter anyone else?serious question
This is a valid question.

ALSO:

If those folks are indeed the people from past episodes, that would make the whole thing a lot better.
imdb doesn't have the complete cast list of each season/episode that I can find.

People are so hung up on the ending scene that they aren't discussing some of the more salient points of the show:

1. Janice telling Uncle June "I'm your daughter" She didn't.

2. What exactly was AJ's epiphany that made everything okay for him? A nice BMW and job working in porn will do that for a kid.

3. Why exactly did Carmella get so upset at listening to Meadow's friend recount her success? I think saying she is "SO" upset is overstating it. Meadow's decisionmaking has been questioned for some time - the other chick seemed to put her life together - Horseface's reaction was one of a parent who wishes her kid did things a little differently.

4. Is Uncle June completely gone or is he still just partially gone and paranoid (not telling Janice where the money is)? Yes. He is gone. If he weren't, he never would have allowed for the indignity of transfering to the ####hole to which he is now confined.

5. Doogie Howser's sidekick becoming Paulie Jr - the hair, the bicep curls. You consider that a "salient" point?

6. The FBI agent and his excitement when he heard Phil had gotten whacked. Has been discussed at length - I interpreted it as a "if you can't beat em, join em" moment. His recent give and take with Tony has him "rooting for Tony".

7. The conversation with Meadow's boyfriend at dinner. What do you want clarification on here?

ALSO:

imdb doesn't have the complete cast list of each season/episode that I can find.
You have millions of viewers, many of them casual viewers who enjoy the basic concept of a mafia boss trying to lead two separate "families."Why would you create an ending that caters to only the select hardcore fans that follow everything down to the tiniest detail?

ALSO:

You have millions of viewers, many of them casual viewers who enjoy the basic concept of a mafia boss trying to lead two separate "families."Why would you create an ending that caters to only the select hardcore fans that follow everything down to the tiniest detail?
Who are you talking to?

ALSO:

To reward the hardcore fans and give substance to the water-cooler the next week. There are TONS of TV shows and movies that use esoteric details to help the die-hards feel ownership of the production long after the masses have jumped on board.

ALSO:

:hifive:

ALSO:

The actor's name is Paola Colandera. He's credited as "Man in Member's Only Jacket" in the finale.

ALSO:

To reward the hardcore fans and give substance to the water-cooler the next week. There are TONS of TV shows and movies that use esoteric details to help the die-hards feel ownership of the production long after the masses have jumped on board.
Even so, thats very, very obscure. I thought I recognized the two black guys from the hit on tony awhile ago.If tony got whacked, why not shows us his families expressions then end it?

First of all, I'm not looking for some kind of "clarification" on these. I just thought they were worth mentioning and/or discussing.

1. Janice telling Uncle June "I'm your daughter" She didn't. Certainly sounds like it. As I just mentioned, I watched that scene around 5 times and it's pretty clear. What do you think she said?

2. What exactly was AJ's epiphany that made everything okay for him? A nice BMW and job working in porn will do that for a kid. Seemed like more than that. In the scene with the psychiatrist, it's apparent he's had some deeper realization about life or himself or both.

3. Why exactly did Carmella get so upset at listening to Meadow's friend recount her success? I think saying she is "SO" upset is overstating it. Meadow's decisionmaking has been questioned for some time - the other chick seemed to put her life together - Horseface's reaction was one of a parent who wishes her kid did things a little differently. Obviously this is it. Her abrupt leaving of the room seemed a bit overdone.

4. Is Uncle June completely gone or is he still just partially gone and paranoid (not telling Janice where the money is)? Yes. He is gone. If he weren't, he never would have allowed for the indignity of transfering to the ####hole to which he is now confined. Not a lot he could have done about it. His only contacts are Janice and his old buddy... both of whom are pretty impotent to help him.

5. Doogie Howser's sidekick becoming Paulie Jr - the hair, the bicep curls. You consider that a "salient" point? Yes. That was very intentional and fits in with the "on and on" theme of the show. The cycle goes on. The younger generation will continue to carry forward and they aren't so different from the older generation - in fact, in this instance they are exactly the same.

6. The FBI agent and his excitement when he heard Phil had gotten whacked. Has been discussed at length - I interpreted it as a "if you can't beat em, join em" moment. His recent give and take with Tony has him "rooting for Tony". Maybe - but from the point of view of the FBI, this was a great couple of weeks for them. Tony's gang is massively weekend and the head of the NY family is whacked. Maybe they were massaging things to go that way for a while.

7. The conversation with Meadow's boyfriend at dinner. What do you want clarification on here? Just thought it was interesting - especially when he talks about the current case he is working on.

ALSO:

The actor's name is Paola Colandera. He's credited as "Man in Member's Only Jacket" in the finale.
Where'd you find that? Has he been used before?

ALSO:

Where'd you find that? Has he been used before?
Now that I think about it, I'm sure you just rewound the credits.

you guys need to stop.

there were no boy scouts in the bobby dying scene.

the black guy died and the other i believe got hit by a car as tony was dragging him down the street.

not sure where the guy is getting the thing on the guy being related to Phil. the guy at the counter was a local residence of where the set was for that scene i believe. the guy credited as "guy at diner" is this cat:

Bloomfield resident Debbie Cammarata was trying to catch a glimpse of next-door neighbor Jimmy Spadola, who has a brief role in the final episode.

*his name is in the final credits under guy at diner.

Users who are viewing this thread