What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (6 Viewers)

I was a bit miffled by the final scene
no no its art and you just don't get what the sopranos is all about :yawn:
I think this sums it up. The "brilliant" David Chase gave us a king with no clothes but his pseudo-intellectual minions get to tell all of us about how pretty they really are.
Nobody here is claiming to be a pseudo-intellectual because of the Sopranos. I don't claim to be smarter than you, although the fact I figured out the basis for the show after 86 ####ing episodes does tend to push the scale in my favor a bit.
Thanks for proving my point.

I think this sums it up. The "brilliant" David Chase gave us a king with no clothes but his pseudo-intellectual minions get to tell all of us about how pretty they really are.
Nobody here is claiming to be a pseudo-intellectual because of the Sopranos. I don't claim to be smarter than you, although the fact I figured out the basis for the show after 86 ####ing episodes does tend to push the scale in my favor a bit.
There's also something to be said for not coming off as arrogant and condescending when you're admonishing others for doing the same.

If your point was you don't understand a tv show after 86 hours, you didn't need me to bring that to the surface.

no no its art and you just don't get what the sopranos is all about :sarcasm:
There's also something to be said for not coming off as arrogant and condescending when you're admonishing others for doing the same.
:lmao: thats christo for ya though

Sure, but that gets lost in the shuffle as there are much fewer people espousing my position.

If your point was you don't understand a tv show after 86 hours, you didn't need me to bring that to the surface.
:lmao: And I meant that in the most condescending manner possible.

Lots of anger in this thread!

While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.

Lots of big laughs in the finale, but not much action. But isn't that a microcosm of the entire series?

This was never a show about action. This isn't The Godfather. This isn't Goodfellas. The entire series has been about the day to day life of a mob boss - from the chaotic violence to the mundane details.

I can see why this finale would make people upset. But almost every aspect of this hour finale was the logical extrapolation of the series' core.

Lots of anger in this thread!While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.Lots of big laughs in the finale, but not much action. But isn't that a microcosm of the entire series? This was never a show about action. This isn't The Godfather. This isn't Goodfellas. The entire series has been about the day to day life of a mob boss - from the chaotic violence to the mundane details.I can see why this finale would make people upset. But almost every aspect of this hour finale was the logical extrapolation of the series' core.
:shock: Personally I liked the ending but I see why many wouldn't. Too many Matrix crowds these days. Maybe it would have been a better ending if Mt Newark would have erupted and the five families of New York were standing on rocks picking each other off. I'm sure that would have been much more memorable.

The one thing I did dislike about the final episode is Meadow's parking job totally ####### up the Lexus. Typical Italian woman. :shock:

With everyone seeming to think that the end of the show is going to be about Tony dying, going to jail or his “downfall,” what about the last few episodes building up to something where Tony becomes more powerful and ruthless and does something like take out Phil and whoever else stands in his way. So after all the life-altering experiences and the therapy, etc. Tony just simply comes to grips with who he is and embraces it. ("I get it.")

Just saying that after all the other things people have complained about Chase doing, I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he ended things on a simple and understated note that is going to piss off a lot of fans.
:rolleyes:
You're calling the ending simple and understated????????
The show ended with Tony at a diner with his family eating onion rings. Compared to what people were predicting for how it would all end (Scarface killing spree, Tony flipping or going to jail, AJ running the family, etc.) yeah, I’d say so.

I loved Tony's made up words and phrases. Like "miffled" and "Illumunate me."
said something like "my son AJ is making a molehill out of this terrorist threat" to agent Harris in the beginning. I laughed.
This was always the best part of the show.I think he said his mom had a borderline personality also last night.I'm still laughing about Paulie's pronunciation of "Baja" a couple of weeks ago, and when he said AJ was curled up in the fetus position.You guys can keep discussing the 500 lb elephant in the room all you like, for me, the Sopranos was about making me feel like a better person because I'm an Italian and I'm NOT them.

Just spoke with a friend of mine who works in Hollywood. Apparently there's an article in today's Variety (I think) supporting the "Tony was shot at the fade to black" theory. The gist of it was that David Chase "spared" us seeing our favorite character getting gruesomely executed. Still don't think I buy in, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I haven't gone searching yet to see if the article is available online.

Lots of anger in this thread!While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.
I would've been fine if Meadow had walked in, they all were chatting and the camera slowly pulled back, the music got louder, and it faded to black.As it was, I felt like we were left with a "whats going to happen" cliff hanger with no chance of finding out. Which is BS.F you David Chase!

Just spoke with a friend of mine who works in Hollywood. Apparently there's an article in today's Variety (I think) supporting the "Tony was shot at the fade to black" theory. The gist of it was that David Chase "spared" us seeing our favorite character getting gruesomely executed. Still don't think I buy in, but I figured I'd throw it out there.I haven't gone searching yet to see if the article is available online.
So why did the suspicious guys look more like FBI than hitmen?

Just spoke with a friend of mine who works in Hollywood. Apparently there's an article in today's Variety (I think) supporting the "Tony was shot at the fade to black" theory. The gist of it was that David Chase "spared" us seeing our favorite character getting gruesomely executed. Still don't think I buy in, but I figured I'd throw it out there.I haven't gone searching yet to see if the article is available online.
Not finding anything like that online.

Lots of anger in this thread!While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.
I would've been fine if Meadow had walked in, they all were chatting and the camera slowly pulled back, the music got louder, and it faded to black.As it was, I felt like we were left with a "whats going to happen" cliff hanger with no chance of finding out. Which is BS.F you David Chase!
Yeah, i always felt that Chase had a story he was telling, and there would be a conclusion at the end that made his point. But there is no conclusion. I wasn't looking for every thing wrapped with a bow, not from this series, but as Tony would say, "What's your f'ing point?"

Lots of anger in this thread!While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.Lots of big laughs in the finale, but not much action. But isn't that a microcosm of the entire series? This was never a show about action. This isn't The Godfather. This isn't Goodfellas. The entire series has been about the day to day life of a mob boss - from the chaotic violence to the mundane details.I can see why this finale would make people upset. But almost every aspect of this hour finale was the logical extrapolation of the series' core.
:ph34r: Personally I liked the ending but I see why many wouldn't. Too many Matrix crowds these days. Maybe it would have been a better ending if Mt Newark would have erupted and the five families of New York were standing on rocks picking each other off. I'm sure that would have been much more memorable.
I can sympathize with people's frustrations. Would it have been more exciting to have some real violent executions? Certainly. Would that kind of ending be true to the show's spirit? Nope.

Not finding anything like that online.
Might not have been Variety. Maybe another industry rag? (I only had a chance to talk to him for a couple of minutes).

:ph34r: Personally I liked the ending but I see why many wouldn't. Too many Matrix crowds these days. Maybe it would have been a better ending if Mt Newark would have erupted and the five families of New York were standing on rocks picking each other off. I'm sure that would have been much more memorable.
I can sympathize with people's frustrations. Would it have been more exciting to have some real violent executions? Certainly. Would that kind of ending be true to the show's spirit? Nope.
I agree that it wouldn't have been true to the show. But, he didn't end it, he clearly cut it off before the scene was over. Whatever was happening in that scene wasn't done happening, and the thing just abruptly ended.Its like you've been riding down this awesome slide for 7 years, enjoying it, and instead of smoothly landing and getting off at the bottom, there is a freaking brick wall that you slam into instead. Thanks, David Chase, for building a brick wall to slam me into.

Nipsey said:
"I hate everyone who watches the show." -David Chase"We don't get it. Did Tony die? Will there be a movie?" -Us
An ironically :ph34r: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it wouldn't have been true to the show. But, he didn't end it, he clearly cut it off before the scene was over. Whatever was happening in that scene wasn't done happening, and the thing just abruptly ended.Its like you've been riding down this awesome slide for 7 years, enjoying it, and instead of smoothly landing and getting off at the bottom, there is a freaking brick wall that you slam into instead. Thanks, David Chase, for building a brick wall to slam me into.
It was like someone posted earlier: you read a really good, long book, and at the end you find out someone tore out the last 5 pages.

Nipsey said:
"I hate everyone who watches the show." -David Chase"We don't get it. Did Tony die? Will there be a movie?" -Us
An ironically :ph34r: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
The Chase apologists are really getting ridiculous now.

Nipsey said:
"I hate everyone who watches the show." -David Chase

"We don't get it. Did Tony die? Will there be a movie?" -Us
An ironically :ph34r: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.

Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
That's exactly what I said last night in this thread.

While I didn't love the ending, I do respect Chase for ending it this way. If Tony ends up dead or in prison, how is that more satisfying? In real life, plenty of bad guys never get punished.

Lots of big laughs in the finale, but not much action. But isn't that a microcosm of the entire series?

This was never a show about action. This isn't The Godfather. This isn't Goodfellas. The entire series has been about the day to day life of a mob boss - from the chaotic violence to the mundane details.

I can see why this finale would make people upset. But almost every aspect of this hour finale was the logical extrapolation of the series' core.
It was like someone posted earlier: you read a really good, long book, and at the end you find out someone tore out the last 5 pages.
And that's entertaining. That look on YOUR face right after that realization.Again, W. W. A. K. D.?

Nipsey said:

An ironically :thumbup: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.

That's exactly what I said last night in this thread.
:thumbup: :hifive:

:thumbup: Personally I liked the ending but I see why many wouldn't. Too many Matrix crowds these days. Maybe it would have been a better ending if Mt Newark would have erupted and the five families of New York were standing on rocks picking each other off. I'm sure that would have been much more memorable.
I agree with everything you said. Though I guess it still worked for me.

Nipsey said:
An ironically :thumbup: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
:thumbup: Since when did pretending to understand David Chase = high IQ?Did this new trend start last night?

Nipsey said:

An ironically :thumbup: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.

:thumbup: :hifive:

Nipsey said:
An ironically :rolleyes: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
:lmao: Since when did pretending to understand David Chase = high IQ?Did this new trend start last night?
Where did I mention anything about high IQ's? I can't help but notice a little defensiveness in your reply, Hulk.Funny to me <> funny to you. Everyone gets "Punk'd" sometme in life. It just so happened to many last night.That's entertaining.YMMV.

Except Cheers. That show wrapped up without wrapping up - that was about as good a final episode as there ever will be.
I beg to differ on the "Cheers" finale not wrapping up.For the most part, everyone that ran through the bar had moved on from hanging out at the bar: Woody met/married Kelli and became a Congressman (or whatever he got elected to); Diane made an appearance, to show that she had already moved on from her days at Cheers; Lilith was already off to the Biosphere; Rebecca realized there was more to life than power/money and took off with Tom Berenger the plumber; Frasier (as we found out for the following 8 years) moved back to Seattle, etc.... I threw the etc. in there because I can't remember how Cliffy moved on.Before the "We're closed" line from Sam at the end of the episode, Norm was the last person to leave the bar. The philosophical discussion between Sam and Norm summed it up: Norm asked Sam, if Sam knew what Norm loved. Sam said "Beer?". Norm said something to the effect of "Sure I'll have another." to get the laughs. But after that, Norm made some comment that people need to know who or what they love, and Norm needed to get home to Vera. At that point, Sam took a look around at the empty place, ran his hands around the bar, and said "I love this place".IMO Sam realized that Cheers was his calling. All his friends over the past few years found theirs.I believed that in the future, Sam would continue to own Cheers, and love it....even though realizing that his prior clientele/friends (Frasier, Woody, Diane, Rebecca etc.) have found a new page in their life, Cheers is his.

:lmao: Personally I liked the ending but I see why many wouldn't. Too many Matrix crowds these days. Maybe it would have been a better ending if Mt Newark would have erupted and the five families of New York were standing on rocks picking each other off. I'm sure that would have been much more memorable.
And that's entertaining. That look on YOUR face right after that realization.Again, W. W. A. K. D.?
The look on my face :lmao: was entertaining to you? The only one who saw it was my dog, and she hid for 2 hours. :lmao:

Funny to me <> funny to you. Everyone gets "Punk'd" sometme in life. It just so happened to many last night.That's entertaining.YMMV.
Please stop. Are you really arguing that Chase deliberately made the ending suck just to "Punk" people?
:lmao: at the ending sucking.
:lmao: :lmao: a lot of bitterness in hur.
:lmao: unlike capella, i do think you are a moron if you didn't get last night's ending.

Funny to me <> funny to you. Everyone gets "Punk'd" sometme in life. It just so happened to many last night.That's entertaining.YMMV.
Please stop. Are you really arguing that Chase deliberately made the ending suck just to "Punk" people?
I thought the ending sucked, but I have no problem with the posters saying that liked it. What I think is idiotic are people like cjdavis who agree that the ending sucked, but think its suckiness is proof of the show's brilliance.

I thought the ending sucked, but I have no problem with the posters saying that liked it. What I think is idiotic are people like cjdavis who agree that the ending sucked, but think its suckiness is proof of the show's brilliance.
:lmao: Hey, I get the ending. I understand it. But I still don't like it and agree it sucks.

:thumbup: Hey, I get the ending. I understand it. But I still don't like it and agree it sucks.
:goodposting:

Except Cheers. That show wrapped up without wrapping up - that was about as good a final episode as there ever will be.
I beg to differ on the "Cheers" finale not wrapping up.For the most part, everyone that ran through the bar had moved on from hanging out at the bar: Woody met/married Kelli and became a Congressman (or whatever he got elected to); Diane made an appearance, to show that she had already moved on from her days at Cheers; Lilith was already off to the Biosphere; Rebecca realized there was more to life than power/money and took off with Tom Berenger the plumber; Frasier (as we found out for the following 8 years) moved back to Seattle, etc.... I threw the etc. in there because I can't remember how Cliffy moved on.Before the "We're closed" line from Sam at the end of the episode, Norm was the last person to leave the bar. The philosophical discussion between Sam and Norm summed it up: Norm asked Sam, if Sam knew what Norm loved. Sam said "Beer?". Norm said something to the effect of "Sure I'll have another." to get the laughs. But after that, Norm made some comment that people need to know who or what they love, and Norm needed to get home to Vera. At that point, Sam took a look around at the empty place, ran his hands around the bar, and said "I love this place".IMO Sam realized that Cheers was his calling. All his friends over the past few years found theirs.I believed that in the future, Sam would continue to own Cheers, and love it....even though realizing that his prior clientele/friends (Frasier, Woody, Diane, Rebecca etc.) have found a new page in their life, Cheers is his.
It was actually :Norm : "You know what I love, Sammy?"Sam : "Beer, Norm?"Norm : "Yeah, I'll have a quick one. [laughter] I love that stool ! If there's a heaven, I don't want to go there unless my stool is waiting for me. And even God better not be sitting on it."Sam : "He wouldn't dare. You know what I think? I think you should go home, wake Vera up and do what comes naturally."Norm : "Wake her up so she can watch me eat a bucket of buffalo wings?"Sam : "Maybe not."Norm : "Well, I'm off. Just remember.. you can never be unfaithful to your one true love. You always come back to her."Sam : "Norm? What is that?"Norm : "Think about it Sammy."[pause as Sam surveys bar]Sam : "I'm the luckiest son of a ##### on Earth."Best ending ever, but what I meant by it not wrapping up is that unlike other shows where events split up or sideline the characters (i.e. Seinfeld, Three's Company, Family Ties, Friends, Frasier, etc...) you were left to believe that the next day, the same people would be back in the same bar doing the same things. Rebecca got married but still worked there, Woody was still working there despite getting elected to the city council, Frasier wasn't going anywhere (they didn't move him to Seattle until the spinoff) - Cliff and Norm merely got a promotion and a new job, but would still be at the bar every day, Carla was still working there, etc.. There was no "end" per se, just the feeling that you were no longer going to be seeing what was going on in that bar. Sopranos ended much the same way, but it wasn't as satisfying.

cjdavis said:
Nipsey said:
An ironically :banned: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
It's closer to Ashton Kushner then Andy Kaufman.

fatguyinalittlecoat said:
Capella said:
bagger said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
cjdavis said:
Funny to me <> funny to you. Everyone gets "Punk'd" sometme in life. It just so happened to many last night.

That's entertaining.

YMMV.
No. I'm arguing that Chase made the "ending suck" (not mine, but your words & relative to you and legions of others) because way, waaay too much viewer stock was put into how this series should/could end. And I don't think a neat (as in Tony's murder or Tony's flipping or Tony's further rise in Mob power, or any other viewer-ascribed) ending was the point. This was a pretty true-to-life series, IMHO. And real life ain't always neat. Thus the ambiguous non-resolution.Tell me this, FGIaLC. If you had to guess, do you think Chase expected the generally poor-reception this finale received in the media, here and elsewhere? Was his choice of such an "FU" deliberate, in your opinion?

Evilgrin 72 said:
duker47 said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
It was actually :Norm : "You know what I love, Sammy?"Sam : "Beer, Norm?"Norm : "Yeah, I'll have a quick one. [laughter] I love that stool ! If there's a heaven, I don't want to go there unless my stool is waiting for me. And even God better not be sitting on it."Sam : "He wouldn't dare. You know what I think? I think you should go home, wake Vera up and do what comes naturally."Norm : "Wake her up so she can watch me eat a bucket of buffalo wings?"Sam : "Maybe not."Norm : "Well, I'm off. Just remember.. you can never be unfaithful to your one true love. You always come back to her."Sam : "Norm? What is that?"Norm : "Think about it Sammy."[pause as Sam surveys bar]Sam : "I'm the luckiest son of a ##### on Earth."Best ending ever, but what I meant by it not wrapping up is that unlike other shows where events split up or sideline the characters (i.e. Seinfeld, Three's Company, Family Ties, Friends, Frasier, etc...) you were left to believe that the next day, the same people would be back in the same bar doing the same things. Rebecca got married but still worked there, Woody was still working there despite getting elected to the city council, Frasier wasn't going anywhere (they didn't move him to Seattle until the spinoff) - Cliff and Norm merely got a promotion and a new job, but would still be at the bar every day, Carla was still working there, etc.. There was no "end" per se, just the feeling that you were no longer going to be seeing what was going on in that bar. Sopranos ended much the same way, but it wasn't as satisfying.
:lmao: My three favorite shows ever are Cheers, Seinfeld, and The Sopranos. For each one, I was excited as hell yet a bit sad when the last episode aired. Cheers was the only one of the three that I was completely satisfied by, when it was all said and done.

cjdavis said:
Nipsey said:
An ironically :lmao: .The above is precisely why last night's ending was great. Chase single-handedly made 95% of the viewing public entertaining to the remaining 5% of us. Hope he at least has internet access in the south of France to savor all this.Andy Kaufman is smiling somewhere in heaven right now.
It's closer to Ashton Kushner then Andy Kaufman.
The reason I disagree with this is, IMHO and only in retrospect, Chase telegraphed this ending (and his disdain for the cheap-thrill voyeur) in both last week's Bada-Bing hit on Silvio/Patsy and then again in the graphic demise of Phil Leotardo. It's all in the prolonged reaction shots of the Bing clientelle and the guys at the gas station last night.There was profound meaning in Chase's "prank". Can't say the same for Kutcher's.

Evilgrin 72 said:
duker47 said:
Evilgrin 72 said:
:lmao: Best final episode I have ever seen. Get goosebumps just reading this! That is how to end a show - be true to the concept as well as your fans. Nobody felt like they got an anal probe when Sammy closed Cheers for the last time - I felt like I got one last night courtesy of Mr. Chase!

Sam Malone walking away happy is realistic. Mob bosses don't walk away happy so it's no surprise that Chase didn't end the show that way. So that really only leaves him getting killed. Did people need to see that just for the ending to be "satisfying"?

Sam Malone walking away happy is realistic. Mob bosses don't walk away happy so it's no surprise that Chase didn't end the show that way. So that really only leaves him getting killed. Did people need to see that just for the ending to be "satisfying"?
IMO, no. Someone here had a good ending in which Meadow walks in and they sit and toast to everyones new/ fresh start. :shrug:

Reviewer that is convinced Tony's dead. It was Hollywood Reporter, not Variety.
"Although Tony and "The Sopranos" had both run their courses for more than eight years, Chase didn't want us to remember them by their demise. A.J., seated with his parents at a restaurant table in the show's final minutes, told his father fatefully, "Remember the good times." The line also served as Chase's message to viewers who had followed this landmark TV show through 86 of some of the most scintillating episodes TV has known."This is a strong argument against the idea that Tony was shot.

Users who are viewing this thread