What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

☞ Official SOPRANOS Thread (4 Viewers)

FWIW, I think Little Carmine is the NY boss and that Tony lives. I would not be shocked at all if Chase ends up doing a movie, maybe a Once Upon a Time in America type deal that shows Tony growing up, then flash forward to him getting out of the pen.

Finless said:
BTW. With all of the other possible song selections in that jukebox, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Tony is picking Dont Stop Believin by Journey. Its just not happening and the whole scene loses credibility because of it.
I guess you haven't watched the show that often? As soon as I saw the selection listed, there was no other option for him to choose.
I read in one of the articles, can't remember which, that Chase originally planned to have Any Way You Want It be the song, but felt that it would telegraph the open-ended nature of the ending. So they shot the insert of the jukebox with both songs and tried them both in editing before settling on Don't Stop Believing.

Here's a theory I haven't seen before.

Tony got whacked, and here's why.

Question: Did Tony Soprano get whacked after David Chase "Cut to Black"?

Answer: YES.

Explanation:

David Chase's abrupt "Cut to Black" and lingering silence at what was the end of the Sopranos Final Episode has created an enormous controversy. The last time a TV show cut off early, leaving viewers hanging, it changed the world of TV sports broadcasting. "The Heidi Game" in 1968 involved the New York Jets and Oakland Raiders, and NBC cut away from a Raiders comeback to air the children's movie "Heidi" on time.

Anyone alive in 1968 involved with TV or sports remembers the controversy that erupted -- resulting in a Wikipedia entry for The Heidi Game.

Just why North Jersey born-and-raised Chase --a longtime TV director and writer -- decided to create his own version of The Heidi Game controversy is unclear, but this season he not only featured the Jets' head coach in a Sopranos cameo, he also had Tony betting on a Jets game.

The title of recent Sopranos Episode 83, "Kennedy and Heidi", appeared at the time to refer to the two girls whose car Christopher nearly hit in the accident that would lead to his death. The writers strained in that very brief scene to have the theretofore unknown characters address each other explicitly by their first names. At the time, it seemed oddly forced. Until the final episode, the meaning of this reference hung in the air, unresolved.

So where does Kennedy come in? The anticipated "whacking" of Tony Soprano has been the subject of years of speculation. Had it occured on screen, it would have been a rival to the Zapruder film in terms of being an iconic filmed death scene. "The biggest thing since the Kennedy assassination," perhaps. Of course, this ignores the fact that JFK was a beloved U.S. President and Tony Soprano is a fictional, sociopathic criminal, but Sopranos fans love their Tony.

David Chase pulled a Heidi -- cut off the video -- right before all visual cues led us to expect that Tony Soprano would be killed. And he foreshadowed it three episodes earlier with the episode title "Kennedy and Heidi'.

As Chase chose to pair the references Kennedy and Heidi togehter, it makes litle sense that Tony Soprano would have survived an assassination attempt had the camera view not suddenly cut to black. Were Tony meant to survive an asassination attempt, the teens in the car would surely have been named Reagan and Heidi.

Tony Soprano is dead. For now.

by Gary Paranzino

Finless said:
BTW. With all of the other possible song selections in that jukebox, there is NO WAY IN HELL that Tony is picking Dont Stop Believin by Journey. Its just not happening and the whole scene loses credibility because of it.
I guess you haven't watched the show that often? As soon as I saw the selection listed, there was no other option for him to choose.
Tony is not listening to Journey while he waits for his familly.

Explanation:

David Chase's abrupt "Cut to Black" and lingering silence at what was the end of the Sopranos Final Episode has created an enormous controversy. The last time a TV show cut off early, leaving viewers hanging, it changed the world of TV sports broadcasting. "The Heidi Game" in 1968 involved the New York Jets and Oakland Raiders, and NBC cut away from a Raiders comeback to air the children's movie "Heidi" on time.

Anyone alive in 1968 involved with TV or sports remembers the controversy that erupted -- resulting in a Wikipedia entry for The Heidi Game.

Just why North Jersey born-and-raised Chase --a longtime TV director and writer -- decided to create his own version of The Heidi Game controversy is unclear, but this season he not only featured the Jets' head coach in a Sopranos cameo, he also had Tony betting on a Jets game.

The title of recent Sopranos Episode 83, "Kennedy and Heidi", appeared at the time to refer to the two girls whose car Christopher nearly hit in the accident that would lead to his death. The writers strained in that very brief scene to have the theretofore unknown characters address each other explicitly by their first names. At the time, it seemed oddly forced. Until the final episode, the meaning of this reference hung in the air, unresolved.

So where does Kennedy come in? The anticipated "whacking" of Tony Soprano has been the subject of years of speculation. Had it occured on screen, it would have been a rival to the Zapruder film in terms of being an iconic filmed death scene. "The biggest thing since the Kennedy assassination," perhaps. Of course, this ignores the fact that JFK was a beloved U.S. President and Tony Soprano is a fictional, sociopathic criminal, but Sopranos fans love their Tony.

David Chase pulled a Heidi -- cut off the video -- right before all visual cues led us to expect that Tony Soprano would be killed. And he foreshadowed it three episodes earlier with the episode title "Kennedy and Heidi'.

As Chase chose to pair the references Kennedy and Heidi togehter, it makes litle sense that Tony Soprano would have survived an assassination attempt had the camera view not suddenly cut to black. Were Tony meant to survive an asassination attempt, the teens in the car would surely have been named Reagan and Heidi.

by Gary Paranzino
The connection to the word Kennedy is supposed to imply he's dead because of JFK?That's a pretty massive reach.

Explanation:

by Gary Paranzino
The connection to the word Kennedy is supposed to imply he's dead because of JFK?That's a pretty massive reach.
The Heidi thing is interesting though.

Explanation:

by Gary Paranzino
Agreed. As for Kennedy, I took that more as a reference to Chappaquiddick with regards to the wreck.

Talked to a buddy a couple of nights ago who believes Tony was killed. One of his reasons referred to the aforementioned way that Tony, Carmela, and AJ ate their onion rings whole. It reminded him of eating a communion wafer. I thought it was interesting but a rather large stretch.

i never watched an episode..........for the most part, what i've heard from people smarter than me is that the 1st 2 seasons were gold, then the show was all hype and generally stunk. my impression was that sigler is a terrible parker and should've looked for a municipal lot. :thumbup: :yes:
You are incorrect.........Sigler has NO FLAWS!! :moneybag:
Plus, she's screwing Ben Roethlisberger. Obviously has good taste in football players too.
Yeah, she kicks Gisele's ###.... :unsure:
Good Lord, man... anything to stir the pot, eh? I'm not comparing their looks, but clearly Sigler has better taste in football players. Bundchen and Butt-chin do make a lovely and alliterative couple - kind of like Beavis and Butthead.

okay, well Don't Stop Believing came up on random on my iPod on the drive in, and i thought more about this heidy/kennedy theory...

and well now i think it has some merit to it.

Tony's obsession with Kennedy is well known from earlier episodes. Maybe obsession is a strong term, but remember he bought a sailor's hat that JFK had worn? Maybe he wore it on PT-109? Don't recall.

Then there was that whole thing with his father's former girlfriend having had an affair with JFK.

Just sayin. Two relatively uncommon names. ;)

Finless said:
I read in one of the articles, can't remember which, that Chase originally planned to have Any Way You Want It be the song, but felt that it would telegraph the open-ended nature of the ending. So they shot the insert of the jukebox with both songs and tried them both in editing before settling on Don't Stop Believing.
Except that in the interview Chase gave the Newark paper, he said that he had wanted Don't Stop all along and had to convince the other members of the production team that it would work.

Thanks man ;) To totally beat the dead horse into the ground, while I was doing framegrabs, here's a list of all the readable song titles in the jukebox that I could make out:

Gatlin Bros: Got a lot of woman on her hand

Sawyer Brown: Somewhere in the night, My baby drives a Buick

Mary Hopkins: Those were the days, Turn, turn turn

Jerry Butler: Only the strong survive, Just because I love you

Unknown: The Animal

Bryan Adams: Victim of love, Into the fire

Unknown: [unclear] if you were a woman, I'll Take You (heartache and all)

T Graham Brown: Rock it Billy,

Tony Bennett: I've Got to be me, A lonely place

Jay & the Americans: This Magic Moment, Since I don't have you

Tommy James & Shondells: Crystal Blue persuasion, I'm alive

Jimmy Dorsey: June Night

Heart: Who Will You run to, Magic Man (Live)

Journey: Don't Stop Believing, Any Way You Want It

Unknown: I'll Never Be In Love Again

Make of it what you will, some of those stand out to me but I'm biased in my interpretation.
Before I saw any of the names, I was convinced he was going to play "Comfortably Numb."
Comfortably Numb is about cocaine - why would do you think that would have been appropriate at that time?
It's been referenced a couple of times this season. Tony was singing it one morning when he came down the stairs and it was playing when the wreck occurred.
It was a perfect song for the moment of the wreck - it makes no sense to consider it for the end of the series . :hey:

Finless said:
How old are you?

Jesus, I feel like Shatner in that SNL skit. It's over. Go outside. Kiss a girl.
rich, coming from a guy with this in his sig:
I'm a fan of ABC's "Lost", and I think the Others rule! Long live Ben Linus!Judge for yourself if Vince Foster committed suicide or if he was murdered.- Fact : the entry wound of the bullet was in the back of Vince Foster's head.
:shrug: :bye:

okay, well Don't Stop Believing came up on random on my iPod on the drive in, and i thought more about this heidy/kennedy theory...and well now i think it has some merit to it.Tony's obsession with Kennedy is well known from earlier episodes. Maybe obsession is a strong term, but remember he bought a sailor's hat that JFK had worn? Maybe he wore it on PT-109? Don't recall.Then there was that whole thing with his father's former girlfriend having had an affair with JFK.Just sayin. Two relatively uncommon names. :X
Tony definitely had a thing for JFK. History though as well.It was just odd how they went out of their way to mention each other's name in the car. Nothing will come out of it, but it was nice foreshadowing I guess.

Jesus, I feel like Shatner in that SNL skit. It's over. Go outside. Kiss a girl.
I'm a fan of ABC's "Lost", and I think the Others rule! Long live Ben Linus!Judge for yourself if Vince Foster committed suicide or if he was murdered.- Fact : the entry wound of the bullet was in the back of Vince Foster's head.
:X ;)
:D :lmao: Well, technically Lost isn't over. :nerd:

:X ;)
:D :lmao: Well, technically Lost isn't over. :nerd:
No, but Vince Foster's life is.

:bye: :lmao:
:lmao: :lmao: Well, technically Lost isn't over. :nerd:
No, but Vince Foster's life is.
And the Clintons live on. There's no justice in the world.(edit to add: THAT won't be over until the Clintons are in jail)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man :rolleyes: To totally beat the dead horse into the ground, while I was doing framegrabs, here's a list of all the readable song titles in the jukebox that I could make out:

Make of it what you will, some of those stand out to me but I'm biased in my interpretation.
Before I saw any of the names, I was convinced he was going to play "Comfortably Numb."
Comfortably Numb is about cocaine - why would do you think that would have been appropriate at that time?
It's been referenced a couple of times this season. Tony was singing it one morning when he came down the stairs and it was playing when the wreck occurred.
It was a perfect song for the moment of the wreck - it makes no sense to consider it for the end of the series . :X
Um ... okay. I never said that would have been what I would have chosen. That said, I wouldn't have thought to choose a Journey song, either. But, I'm sure you would have. There was a reoccurring theme in the final season that I thought he might go back to. That's it. Still, you're taking the lyrics and back story of that song far too literally. I didn't see anyone taking "the midnight train going anywhere" in that final scene. How could he use that song!?

okay, well Don't Stop Believing came up on random on my iPod on the drive in, and i thought more about this heidy/kennedy theory...and well now i think it has some merit to it.Tony's obsession with Kennedy is well known from earlier episodes. Maybe obsession is a strong term, but remember he bought a sailor's hat that JFK had worn? Maybe he wore it on PT-109? Don't recall.Then there was that whole thing with his father's former girlfriend having had an affair with JFK.Just sayin. Two relatively uncommon names. :(
C'mon, all the micks named their kids that after JFK got shot . . .

Explanation:

by Gary Paranzino
Agreed. As for Kennedy, I took that more as a reference to Chappaquiddick with regards to the wreck.
Also don't forget that when Junior is told that Bobby was shot he says "Ambassor Hotel" or something - referring to RFK's assassination.-QG

Uncle Junior had a thing for the Kennedy's, not so much Tony. If you remember back to when Junior was getting tested for Cancer, his Doctor was named Kennedy, and he thought the world of him. Tony really had to talk to Junior about getting second opinion.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but, as for the ending, what if the reason that Chase cut to black was because of the conversation that Tony and Bobby had, but it wasn't Tony that got wacked, it was the show or us as viewers.

Every time Tony turned on a radio it was tuned to a classic rock station, the kind of station that would play Don't Stop Believin.

Every time Tony turned on a radio it was tuned to a classic rock station, the kind of station that would play Don't Stop Believin.
Don't bother. Pat Patriot believes whatever the news is in his own little world and no amount of evidence to the contrary will get him to change his mind. He's a lot like BGP that way, which is why I get under their skin so badly, I guess.

Thanks man :thumbup: To totally beat the dead horse into the ground, while I was doing framegrabs, here's a list of all the readable song titles in the jukebox that I could make out:

It was a perfect song for the moment of the wreck - it makes no sense to consider it for the end of the series . :lmao:
Um ... okay. I never said that would have been what I would have chosen. That said, I wouldn't have thought to choose a Journey song, either. But, I'm sure you would have. There was a reoccurring theme in the final season that I thought he might go back to. That's it. Still, you're taking the lyrics and back story of that song far too literally. I didn't see anyone taking "the midnight train going anywhere" in that final scene. How could he use that song!?
It is widely accepted that the music you listened to in High School influences a persons musical tastes throughout life. Journey is easy for anyone to dismiss who is not between about 40 and 48. Between 1978 and 1983 Journey was one of the most commercially successful bands on the planet. Tony Soprano would have been 18 when they really started "poppin'". I am not sure that I would have chosen a Journey song in that diner, but likely I would have chosen something from that era if it were available - give me The Logical Song, or Goodbye Stranger on a jukebox anytime!

Thanks man :unsure: To totally beat the dead horse into the ground, while I was doing framegrabs, here's a list of all the readable song titles in the jukebox that I could make out:

It was a perfect song for the moment of the wreck - it makes no sense to consider it for the end of the series . :shrug:
It is widely accepted that the music you listened to in High School influences a persons musical tastes throughout life. Journey is easy for anyone to dismiss who is not between about 40 and 48. Between 1978 and 1983 Journey was one of the most commercially successful bands on the planet. Tony Soprano would have been 18 when they really started "poppin'". I am not sure that I would have chosen a Journey song in that diner, but likely I would have chosen something from that era if it were available - give me The Logical Song, or Goodbye Stranger on a jukebox anytime!
I was being sarcastic. Who knows why he (Tony) chose it. He's a fictional character. He would have been about 20 when "Comfortably Numb" came out, which would have been right in his wheelhouse, too. He sang it this season, for Christ's sake. That wasn't really my point, though. Chase chose the song for the mood and it fit pretty well, but put a hundred other songs in there and they could have fit the tone he wanted also. Before Tony chose the song, I thought back to the fact that "Numb" had been used several other times and I thought Chase might take things full circle. I also had no idea where the scene was going. Seeing how it ended, it wouldn't have been appropriate, but before we knew where it was going, it wasn't that insane.

Thanks man :unsure: To totally beat the dead horse into the ground, while I was doing framegrabs, here's a list of all the readable song titles in the jukebox that I could make out:

It was a perfect song for the moment of the wreck - it makes no sense to consider it for the end of the series . :shrug:
I was being sarcastic. Who knows why he (Tony) chose it. He's a fictional character. He would have been about 20 when "Comfortably Numb" came out, which would have been right in his wheelhouse, too. He sang it this season, for Christ's sake. That wasn't really my point, though. Chase chose the song for the mood and it fit pretty well, but put a hundred other songs in there and they could have fit the tone he wanted also. Before Tony chose the song, I thought back to the fact that "Numb" had been used several other times and I thought Chase might take things full circle. I also had no idea where the scene was going. Seeing how it ended, it wouldn't have been appropriate, but before we knew where it was going, it wasn't that insane.
But Numb is somewhat of a "downer" song and this was an "up" moment.

:unsure: Sorry - I misunderstood previously.

forget it.

meaning all these people saying how obvious it was on what happened when it wasn't. the people on the set, who are on the show, etc etc had the look like no idea what that was supposed to mean.

so all the people who said it was such a creative masterpiece are way off. nothing creative about something that does not make sense.

chase has always said he could care less about the fans. he got the final laugh.

he is a hack anyway. he acted like all this was his ideas etc, but a lot of the story lines were stolen from other things even though he denies it. guy in the NJ mob high up got caught being gay and got killed. they ran everything from a pork store.

even the "we won" thing in the last episode was taken from a real case of an fbi guy giving info to a mob guy that led to the death of someone. same exact quote.

i have no problem that he used real life stuff to inspire the show. i have the problem with him obviously using it but denying anything is not from his great creative mind.

Steve Perry saved Tony Sopranos life.

I never thought I'd read that story, but it's true:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So did you know ''Don't Stop Believin''' was going be in the episode?

STEVE PERRY: I did know ahead of time because they had wanted the song and they approached us, the writers — myself, [Journey bandmates] Jonathan Cain, and Neal Schon — a long time ago. Honestly, it didn't clear until last Thursday, because I was concerned that this could be a finale bloodbath or a Valentine's massacre. So I said, ''Well if you can't tell me what's gonna happen [in the episode] and trust me that I won't tell anybody, I can't personally feel comfortable approving the use of the song.''

Chase is REALLY a wuss bag for caving in to such pressure from a primadonna has-been hairband whacker.

Link: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20040769_2...0042340,00.html

Finless said:
How old are you?

Don't bother. Pat Patriot believes whatever the news is in his own little world and no amount of evidence to the contrary will get him to change his mind. He's a lot like BGP that way, which is why I get under their skin so badly, I guess.
I was a teenager when Journey Escape came out and bands like REO Speedwagon were huge. They just werent wildly popular with italians or the "tough" crowd. We were more into Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and AC/DC among others. I dont hear Journey on too many classic rock stations. Journey is more POP and easy listening. I just dont see Tony growing up a Journey fan. Not macho enough for him.

Users who are viewing this thread